Chapter 6

Lion and the Lamb

“Jieun, we’re going to be late. How the hell does it take you this long to get ready?” Hana yelled from the bottom of the staircase. Junhong sighed as he watched the clock. After ten more minutes, Jieun bounced the stairs energetically. Her wavy red locks cascaded down her back and held back by her braided leather headband. She was wearing a floral sundress, complete with strappy sandals. She looked vibrant.

 

“No wonder you’re always late to first period.” Hana muttered.

 

Jieun could barely wait to get to school. Okay, so maybe the past few days had been rough. Make that extremely stressful, as people were at her house repairing the front yard, getting rid of the graffiti, and Jieun was staying over at Hana’s. But today was the start of sports tryouts, club meetings, and most importantly—auditions for the choir at TS High. Back in Seocho, Jieun and her friends, Hyorin and Yuji, were undisputedly the best singers in the district.

 

“Daehyun will be excited to know that you’re auditioning. He so passionate about the music program here—he’s the best singer… Unless you can outdo him?” Junhong looked at Jieun through his rearview mirror.

 

“I don’t know about that, but I hope I do well today.” She answered earnestly.

 

As soon as they arrived, Hana caught sight of the infamous group of boys. Girls surrounded them and other male students greeted them. “Oh look Zelo, my favorite friend of yours is back at school.” Her voice was thick with sarcasm.

 

“Be nice to him. If Jieun vowed to be civil, then you could too.” Zelo chastised his best friend.

 

Jieun nodded at Hana. Last night, Junhong talked to her privately before bed. She was already set on being polite to Yongguk. Junhong was pleasantly surprised. As much as Yongguk made her blood boil, she would turn the other cheek. That was just the way she was.

 

She wouldn’t let him completely run her over, but she wasn’t going to fight back on purpose. Her friends were right—he was just trouble waiting to happen. Jieun told herself she wouldn’t try to get involved with him anymore.

 

Jieun involuntarily gulped when she got out and felt Yongguk’s eyes watching her. Or perhaps she was just imagining it?

 

No, he was obviously watching her and everyone in the vicinity knew it. The students around Yongguk looked nervous, as if they were afraid another fight would occur between the two. Junhong cast Jieun an assuring smile and led her over towards B.A.P. Hana stayed close to Jieun, just in case Yongguk wanted to start something again.

 

“Hey Yongguk! How was clubbing on Friday?” Junhong asked him brightly, trying to ease the tension in the air. Yongguk’s icy glare turned into a slight smirk.

 

“It was wonderful, actually. Thanks for asking, Junhong.” Yongguk remembered the he had on Friday. To be frank, Gina wasn’t as amazing in bed that night as she had been the previous times. He was a little disappointed, but he still paid her the full amount with a nice, fat tip that she could use to buy some more of those wonderful dresses.

 

Speaking of dresses, Yongguk noticed Jieun was wearing one today. Her whole outfit accentuated her femininity. Jieun looked like the angelic girl-next-door, with the exception of her fire-hydrant red waves. It seemed to contrast with her personality completely. Yongguk wondered why she dyed it such an intense color.

 

Whatever the reason, he was drawn to it.

 

She kept her eyes downcast, except when Hana whispered something in her ear. She glanced up at Yongguk, meeting his glare with an amused smile. Jieun and Hana both held back a laugh.

 

Yongguk frowned again, knowing they were talking about him. He fought the urge to call her out on it. At least seeing Gina a few days ago made him calmer and able to regain control of his temper. He was back to his cold, composed self.

 

There was something about Jieun’s smile that unnerved him. Yongguk couldn’t put his finger on it, but whenever she smiled, it bothered him. He didn’t know whether it was a good or bad thing.

 

Yongguk tore his gaze away from Jieun to address Junhong. “Ready for tryouts today? I heard we have a bunch of stupid underclassmen we’re going to have to cut.” He rolled his eyes.

 

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot! It’s our last year playing soccer, can you believe it?” Junhong asked Yongguk.

 

Jieun perked up at the new information. They played soccer? She guessed Yongguk was team captain since he had a small stack of sign-up forms tucked in his right arm.

 

“If I could play high school soccer for the rest of my life, I would. It’s the only redeeming part of this boring school.” Yongguk replied.

 

Jieun checked her phone. Oh no. She had to report to the music room to warm up her vocals before she auditioned that morning. “I have to get going. Wish me luck, guys!” She scampered towards the direction of the main building.

 

Yongguk stared at her retreating form. “What audition is she going to and why?” He almost barked at Junhong.

 

Hana answered for him. “She’s auditioning for choir and supposedly, she’s a good singer.” She smirked at him, oozing pride in her tone.  

 

Yongguk made a mental note to interrogate Daehyun about every detail of her audition later.

 


 

“Jung Daehyun.” Daehyun shook Jieun’s hand. The tips of his ears were turning red.

 

Himchan was right. Youngjae did have good taste in girls.

 

Jieun beamed. “Song Jieun.” They stood by the piano in the middle of the music room. She had just finished her audition, and Daehyun was enchanted by her performance. He had never encountered a singer who was even comparable to him at TS High.

 

“Well, everyone knows who you are now. Yongguk made you famous here.” Daehyun joked, hoping it wouldn’t strike a nerve.

 

She laughed nervously at the mention of one of the school’s heartthrobs. “Unfortunately.”

 

Daehyun’s fingers ran over the smooth surface of the cream-colored piano. He struck a few keys before sitting down. “You’re guaranteed a spot, Jieun. You didn’t even have to audition.”

 

She blushed. “Thank you.”

 

“Seriously, I’m really impressed with your talent. Mr. Lee looked like he was about to jump up and down when you hit that high note at the end.” Daehyun complimented her.

 

“Oh stop, I wasn’t that good!” It was nice that something good happened, considering the whirlwind of the past week.

 

Daehyun’s melodious laugh rang throughout the whole room. “I’m glad you’re friends with Junhong and Hana. Maybe we can sing together and work on a particular song when you’re not busy?”

 

“I’m not busy tonight. I’ll be over at Junhong’s house with Hyosung and Sunhwa. Or is that too early to set plans in motion?” Jieun’s brow furrowed, but she was excited that Daehyun was paying attention to her. He was the best singer at school, why wouldn’t she want to take up the opportunity to work with him?

 

“Perfect. Can you wait for me after soccer practice? I can take you to Junhong’s since you don’t exactly have a ride…” Daehyun remembered her entire family didn’t own any vehicles at the moment.

 

“Of course. I’ll see you later, Daehyun.” She waved at him, and he was now alone in the room.

 

Daehyun smiled to himself. He traced the C flat key and was reminded that Jieun mentioned earlier that she loved to play the piano.

 

Everything about Jieun was perfect to him. It was just so unfortunate that she had to get involved with Yongguk. Of all people, Song Jieun had to step into Bang Yongguk’s life.

 

“Sorry Yongguk, but I might have to steal her from you…”

 


 

It was 5:30 PM. Tryouts were just about over and Jieun was patiently waiting at the edge of the field. She checked her reflection in her compact mirror. She saw a womanly figure approaching the grass behind her.

 

Jieun couldn’t deny that Yongguk was crazy good at the game. He made it look so effortless on the field, yet he was as graceful with his foot skills and kicks as a ballet dancer. Yongguk was aggressive and relentless—just like his persona. Jieun could watch him score goals against the frantic newbies all day. As their coach whistled to signal the end of the last drill of the day, Yongguk jogged to the corner flag nearest Jieun to cool down.

 

Jieun pretended to be busy surfing the web on her phone, but through her peripheral vision, she saw that Yongguk realized Jieun was watching their practice. He looked past Jieun and smirked.

 

The womanly figure that Jieun outlined a few minutes ago was indeed a woman and now almost beside Jieun. She carried a huge designer purse on her arm and dared to walk in five inch heels on muddy grass. She held a huge bottle of Gatorade in one hand and a crisp towel in the other. The woman looked like she was in her early 20s. Jieun shrugged her presence off, assuming she was an older sister to one of the boys on the team.

 

“Matokis on three, matokis on three, 1, 2, 3—MATOKIS!” The soccer team put their hands in for a chant. Yongguk’s deep voice bellowed when he led the chant. Jieun subconsciously noted that it sounded better raw and raspy like this.

 

Jieun caught sight of Daehyun. He ran over to her. “Hey Jieun, do you mind if I pick up some extra clothes in the locker room? I won’t be too long.”

 

“Sure, take your time.” Jieun reassured Daehyun.

 

Daehyun gave the lady next to Jieun a curt bow. “Are you here for Yongguk, Gina?”

 

She sneered in a rather rude way. “Of course Daehyun, why else would I soil my new Jimmy Choo’s in this disgusting mud?”

 

Daehyun backed off a bit. “Yongguk’s over there. You can call him over.” He sped off towards the locker room.

 

Jieun rolled her eyes at this woman in her mind. Jieun could already tell she was a total . How could you be rude to Jung Daehyun? It seemed almost impossible. Daehyun was the quintessence of chivalry in a world where chivalry was dead.

 

“Yonggukie!” The woman’s tone turned sickeningly sweet. Jieun almost gagged at her attempted cuteness. How old was this woman anyway? Wasn’t she, like, 25 or something? Gina sounded like she was trying to entertain a baby.

 

He made his way over to her, taking off his shirt that was drenched in sweat in the process.

 

In that exact moment, Jieun wanted to cover her eyes like a little girl. Instead, she gaped at his tanned abs and firm biceps with shamelessly open. Jieun didn’t doubt that saliva was forming.

 

Yongguk was aware of Jieun’s reaction and felt oddly satisfied. “Babe, I didn’t know you were going to visit me today.”

 

He enveloped her in a hug, that turned into a kiss, that turned into a full-blown makeout session.

 

Jieun nonchalantly applied chapstick to her lips. On the outside, she looked bored and indifferent towards the couple, but on the inside, her mind was racing.

 

Yongguk had a girlfriend?

 

How had she missed this? Junhong never mentioned that Yongguk was in a relationship. The other girls made it seem like Yongguk repelled anyone of the opposite . But yet here he was, kissing an older woman who looked like she was out of college, as if it was normal to them.

 

After what seemed like forever, he let go of Gina. “My place? Nobody’s home…” He teased Gina.

 

Jieun could hear every single word of their dirty conversation that was beginning to ensue. Where the hell was Daehyun when she needed him?

 

“Well, hurry up then. We’re wasting time.” She cooed, grabbing his hand. Yongguk glanced at Jieun, finally acknowledging her prescence. Those piercing eyes showed no emotion. Jieun was lost in them every time she let herself have the pleasure of looking directly at Yongguk, the school’s token “hot bad boy,” to phrase it in an adolescent way.

 

Before she could muster up the courage to say hi to him, they were gone, leaving Jieun to herself on the field.  Surprisingly, a pool of emotions engulfed Jieun. She didn’t know how to feel all of a sudden. It was something she hadn’t felt in the flesh in quite a while. Well, since him, of course.

 

She wasn’t sure if it was butterflies, fear, attraction, nerves, or even a combination of all four.

 

Daehyun was out of breath by the time he got to her seconds later. “Sorry about that, Youngjae and Jongup had me run a quick errand for them… Wait, are you okay? You look kind of mad.”

 

She straightened her shoulders. Her smile looked lovely upon first glance, but if Daehyun looked closer, he would see that it was completely fake. “I’m fine, Daehyun. Just fine.”

 


 

A/N: I know some of you want some nice Bangsong interactions right away, so this is the start of it. Although it wasn’t that much of an update, I really hope you enjoyed it!

 

Please subscribe/comment/upvote!

 

P.S. I actually really love this fandom and all my readers… Seriously, you guys are the best. Okay, I gotta go before I get all sappy lol. Until next time! <3

 

-Adri