Chapter 7

Lion and the Lamb

Yongguk was laying down on the couch downstairs after practice, dozing off when he heard the garage open. He shot up.

 

His mother was actually home before 8pm?

 

Yongguk d around for the light switch on the wall of the dark room. He squinted, trying to adjust to the brightness, as he didn’t have his contacts or glasses on. The door into the foyer clicked open. He heard his mother shuffle, her heels echoing throughout the entire main floor. Yongguk almost ran over to her.

 

“Mom!” He greeted his mother with a rare, gummy smile. He always had a unique smile, but he scarcely showed anyone.

 

Yongguk was good at two things—soccer and hiding his true feelings.

 

“Oh, hi Yongguk. How was your day?” She wearily tugged off her pumps, leaving them next to the door before she collapsed down on the couch Yongguk was just in. Yongguk followed her, letting his mother use his lap as a foot rest. He knew she must’ve been exhausted. Being in charge of an entire corporation wasn’t easy, especially since she barely got enough rest as it was.

 

“Tryouts were good and I’ve been doing well in all my classes and I’ve been looking into colleges and-“

 

“Honey. Slow down.” She interrupted him, chuckling at her son’s excitement.

 

Yongguk was definitely a “mommy’s boy.”

 

“Sorry, Mom. I should be asking you about how you’ve been.” He started massaging her sore feet.

 

“Eh, it was a typical day. I’m starting to make preparations for the you-know-what.” She looked at him pointedly.

 

His mother was in charge of the annual Apgujeong-i Formal Ball. As the entire Bang family had lived in Apgujeong, even before the district was dubbed the name, it was tradition that their curret patriarch, or matriarch in this case, threw the most anticipated social event of the year. The Bangs of Apgujeong were basically social royalty.

 

Yongguk groaned. He always despised the Formal Ball. Due to the fact that his mother put on the event, he had to be on his best behavior and polite to his mother’s acquaintances the entire night. Granted, his friends and their dates were always invited, but he still wanted to get the hell out of there halfway through.

 

“Oh yes, how could I forget.” He said. His mother patted his head softly.

 

“Please bring a girl that I’ll like.” She sighed.

Yongguk thought of who he could take. Gina? She wasn’t the best choice, but that would be the only person he could tolerate by his side the entire night.

 

“Fine, mom. You should be in bed by now. Don’t stay up too late.” Yongguk sounded like her parent, ironically. He was protective over his mother, seeing her fragile state.

 

“You’re the best son ever.” She kissed his forehead before standing up to get to her bedroom.

 

“Yongguk?” She stopped in her tracks.

 

“Yes?” He laid back down on the couch, closing his eyes.

 

“Don’t forget about your appointment with Dr. Tae Hee tomorrow.” She advised him softly.

 

 Yongguk was silent for a couple of seconds. “Thanks for reminding me. Goodnight, mom.”

 


 

He knocked on the door twice. “Come in,” She called out.

 

Dr. Kim Taehee looked up from her laptop at her mahogany desk. She smiled at Yongguk. “Hello, Yongguk. Have a seat.”

 

He slouched in the seat, nodding at her.

 

Yongguk had an appointment with his psychiatrist weekly, for 4 years now. His mother didn’t think he needed a psychiatrist anymore, but Yongguk insisted that she keep making appointments for him. He simply wanted to talk to someone who would keep his feelings and thoughts confidential.

 

Taehee grabbed her notepad and a pencil, facing Yongguk. “How has this week been working out for you?”

 

He shrugged. “It’s been okay, I guess.”

 

She eyed him. “Anything special happen? I recall that you had soccer tryouts.”

 

“That went well. Gina visited me after practice.” He told Taehee.

 

She jotted down more notes. “How do you feel about that?”

 

Yongguk thought about this. “I don’t know honestly. A few weeks ago, I was so sure about being in a relationship with her, but now I’m beginning to doubt it’ll even happen.”

 

“Why is that? You sounded very firm about asking her out a month ago.” Taehee continued.

 

“Well, when she visited me yesterday, she was kind of annoying once I took her to my place. It kind of killed the mood.” He answered.

 

He purposely left out the part where he was distracted because of Jieun.

 

“Yongguk, I don’t mean to discourage you, but I will remind you that what you have with Choi Gina is infatuation. In my opinion, it isn’t love. Unless you prove me wrong, that is.” Taehee reasoned.

 

“I think you’re right. But I’m still going to take her to the Formal Ball.” Who else could he take anyways?

 

“Based on my knowledge of your mom and the people attending, I don’t think she’ll be happy with your choice.”

 

“I know. But there’s no one else. Well there is, but I would never, ever take her in a million years.” Yongguk let slip out.

 

Taehee stopped writing, hoping he would continue. “Would you like to tell me about it?”

 

Yongguk was unresponsive for a few moments. He wanted to tell her about Jieun—it was only right that he let her know who he thought about constantly. “Nobody.” He answered instead, coming off colder than he intended.

 

Taehee was professional, so she didn’t press him for information. Instead, she wrote down more notes. Yongguk watched as she meticulously scribbled on her notepad.

 

It was killing him inside secretly. He knew he should talk to Taehee about Jieun. This was what his mother paid Taehee for. She was here to help him.

 

“Okay, fine. A lot has happened in the past two weeks actually.” He spilled.

 

A smile tugged at Taehee’s lips. “Go on.”

 

“There’s this new girl at school. Her name is Song Jieun. She dented my car. So I… vandalized her house.”

 

Taehee was shocked. “Just because she dented your car? I’m sure it was an accident.”

 

“Well, that’s not the point. I keep thinking about her, more importantly.” Yongguk steered the conversation the way he wanted.

 

She knew her patient too well. He never wanted to talk about his mistakes. It was typical of anyone. “Why do you think you keep thinking about her?”

 

“That’s my problem. I don’t know why I keep thinking about her. I tell myself I can’t stand her, but whenever she’s around, I can’t help but look at her. She’s doing something to me, and I don’t like it.” He finally admitted.

 

Taehee wrote at a rapid speed. “Do you find her physically attractive?”

 

He thought about her question. Did Yongguk think she was pretty? He pictured his in his mind. He couldn’t say she was ugly, but she just wasn’t his type. His type was Choi Gina, not innocent, car-denting vixens. Wait, did he just say she was a vixen? Yongguk should’ve just slapped himself then and there. “She’s not ugly… But everyone seems to be in love with her!” He said.

 

“Why is that?”

 

He pondered this. “She’s friends with Junhong and Daehyun. They really like her. Junhong told me once that she has a kind heart and is one of the nicest people he’s ever met.”

 

“Well is there something that draws you to her?”

 

Yongguk couldn’t help himself as his innermost thoughts kept pouring out. “Everything… Especially that smile. Jieun’s smile irritates me.”

 

“Why would it irritate you?” Taehee had a notion as to what Yongguk was feeling, but she had to know everything about their relationship first.

 

“You’re sworn to confidentiality…” Yongguk trailed off.

 

“I’ve always been—that’s every psychiatrist’s policy.”

 

He took a deep breath. “Song Jieun’s smile is perfect. At times, it seems too perfect. That’s why I’m not buying this whole ‘nice-girl’ act. Nobody notices it, but I feel like something’s off with Jieun. I’ve seen her enough to know that.” He was smug about his hypothesis. Taehee should’ve been proud of his analysis skills.

 

Taehee pursed her lips. “Yongguk, did you ever think that maybe she’s a human being, too? Nobody’s perfect. She could have a lot of problems going on at home, but you would never know it.”

 

“… I just want to stop thinking about her. This has never happened to me before.” He pleaded.

 

Taehee thought of a solution. “I don’t know if this is how kids these days say it, but I believe you need to grow a pair, it up, and just talk to her. Get to know her a bit. You never know, maybe you’ll end up liking her.”

 

“I doubt it, but you are the adult here. I guess I could try.” He resigned himself.

 

“That’s the spirit. Now, do you have anything else you want to tell me?” Taehee asked.

 

Yongguk knew exactly what she was talking about. It was the reason he had to see a psychiatrist in the first place. “No, Taehee. I can’t do it.”

 

“I understand. If you want me to come with you when you decide to do it, just give me a call.”

 

“No, I refuse to visit my father’s grave. I won’t go near that cemetery.” Yongguk said slowly. They talked about this numerous times already.

 

Taehee nodded. “It’s okay, Yongguk. You still aren’t ready.”

 

She was wrong. Yongguk would never be ready, no matter how much Taehee tried to help him.

 


 

Jieun was back at her house the next morning, as everything seemed to return to normal. Even though a week-long sleepover at Hana’s was the most fun she had since she moved, she missed her bed and her parents even more. They seemed to be in a better mood when she came back, relieved that the vandalism had been removed.

 

They also leased three new cars with the help of her relatives back in Seocho. She was happy to be driving again.

 

Jieun tapped the screen of her phone with her blood red nails. She waited impatiently for the three other girls to arrive. They were going out to breakfast to celebrate Jieun’s repaired house. Apparently Hyosung had a surprise for them, also.

 

Hyosung had been acting secretive and giddy the past few days. Jieun was insanely curious about this “surprise” she had planned for the girls.

 

Hana and Sunhwa arrived first. “Hyosung isn’t even here yet, so you guys might as well order some food already.”

 

Sunhwa looked sweaty from an early-morning workout. She exercised the most out of all of them. “I only ran three miles this morning instead of my usual five, so this better be important.”

 

Suddenly, Hyosung walked over to their table. She waved at them, showing her big smile. “Good morning!”

 

Hana looked at her suspiciously. “What’s gotten into you?”

 

Hyosung sighed dreamily. “Love’s gotten into me, that’s what.”

 

“What?” Jieun asked. Hyosung was in love?

 

As she tried to flag down the waiter to take their orders and concentrate on what Hyosung was saying at the same time, she caught sight of a very familiar boy coming near them.

 

Jieun recognized him immediately. She felt sick to her stomach.

 

It was him. It had to be him. Of all the people that could’ve showed up right then and there, it was someone she’d rather like to forget.

 

“Hyosung!” He called.

 

“Oh, here he is. Girls, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend.” Hyosung pulled him towards their table.

 

He widened his eyes in disbelief when he recognized Jieun. Hyosung nudged him, prompting him to clear his throat and introduce himself.

 

“It’s nice to meet you all, I’m Lee Kikwang.”

 


 

A/N: Okay, I planned for some Bangsong moments, but next chapter will have at least direct interaction between them. I feel like this chapter is a bit of an oddball, but please tell me what you think! Btw, in case you guys were wondering, he isn’t Jieun’s boyfriend…

 

Don’t forget to subscribe/comment/upvote!

 

-Adri