Chapter 1

Lion and the Lamb

Jieun wasn’t exactly thrilled with the prospect of switching schools. She didn’t mind change, but leaving her high school right before senior year? It came as a shock to Jieun a month ago. She could remember that day vividly.

 

Her father came through the door, taking Jieun’s mom in his arms. Her planted a big smooch on her lips. Jieun quirked her eyebrows. What exactly was going on?

 

“I got a promotion honey! Isn’t that great?” Jieun’s father shook his daughter’s shoulders. A huge grin broke out on her face. She hugged him back.

 

“That’s great dad! How did this happen?” She was excited now. Jieun knew how hard her dad worked; he deserved it.

 

He grabbed her mother once again. “After the success of launching my new project, the chairman of my branch decided to promote me to the head of their new branch in Apgujeong-dong.”

 

Jieun’s smile slowly faded. “Apgujeong? But dad…”

 

“Hmm?” He answered her distractedly.

 

“Apgujeong is on the opposite side of Seoul. Why did he promote you to such an inconvenient location?” Jieun said nervously.

 

He exchanged an uneasy look with her mother. “Well, your mother and I have been talking about this for weeks now. We decided that if I got this promotion, we’d move to Apgujeong.”

 

Jieun shook her head, as if she could get rid of those memories.

 

But here she was—finally settled in at her new house in Apgujeong. Her parents, much to her embarrassment, decided to purchase a house she considered enormous. Usually they were a frugal family, but since her father would be making six figures, they would be able to afford things Jieun only dreamed of having.

 

The house was in the hills of Apgujeong and it overlooked the corporate buildings and shops of the city below them. It was a handsome view. Her new home was growing on her, thankfully.

 

She smiled to herself, feeling her old attitude coming back. She had been sulking around for the past month, hoping her mother would take notice and restore some normalcy in her life. Nothing happened, and Jieun was forced to accept the fact that she’d was leaving everything behind permanently. Once she accepted it, Jieun was her usual positive and happy self again.

 

She was going to need her positivity more than ever, as tomorrow was the first day of her senior year. She knew no one at TS High, which frightened her. However, her father coaxed her into relaxation that night.

“Sweetie, you have nothing to worry about. How hard is it to make friends anyways?” He sipped his herbal tea. Jieun only looked down at her mug, swirling its contents.

 

“You don’t understand. You never had to switch schools!” She countered.

 

“Just flash that beautiful smile of yours tomorrow. People will be flocking to your side, wanting to be in your presence.” He gave her a crooked grin, that grin that she loved the most about her father.

 

Her shoulders were less tense. “Okay then…” She tried to smile back. It seemed like that was all she’d been doing these days—trying to be happy for other people. It worked. She bade her father goodnight, walking down the long hallway to her room.

 

Jieun shut the door softly. She climbed into bed, turning off the light on her nightstand. She pulled her thick comforter over her body and up to her chin. Jieun stared at the ceiling.

 

On nights like these, Jieun’s mind was full of too many thoughts. She imagined what kind of people went to TS High School. She hoped they would like her. Jieun also thought about everybody she left in Seocho, her old district. She missed her friends Hyorin and Yuji dearly. She promised them she’d keep in touch. Jieun tried contacting them, but they wouldn’t answer her calls anymore, texting back excuses that they were busy with sports or their boyfriends.

 

Speaking of boyfriends… Her mind often drifted to him on these nights where she couldn’t sleep. She wondered what he was doing. This became a routine for her for the past year.

 

Don’t think about him, stop thinking about him… She closed her eyes, attempting to sleep for real this time.

 

Jieun fell asleep to the thought of him, like she always did.

 


 

Jieun gripped the steering wheel of her car tightly. It was a small, cute convertible that her parents bought for her in their spending frenzy. She fell in love with it at first sight, begging them to buy it for her. If they turned her life upside-down, they might as well grant her some sort of solace.

 

She pressed her foot lightly on the brake. TS High was a gated high school. She almost wanted to roll her eyes. Of course her parents would enroll her in a ultra-exclusive school with their ‘nouveau riche’ status. There was a man in uniform at the gate. He squinted at her.

 

“I’m assuming you’re new here?” He gave her a long look.

 

Jieun gave him a tight smile. “Yes, sir. Song Jieun? I’m a senior.”

 

He took out his smartphone, scrolling down a list of names. He nodded at her. “You’re cleared. Go ahead, Miss Song.”

“Thank you!” She waved at him as she drove up the newly paved road. The school was hidden from the public eye and surrounded by leafy trees on the outskirts of Apgujeong. Jieun’s eyes widened when she saw the actual campus.

 

Big was an understatement. She groaned, knowing she’d get lost today. She pulled into an empty parking space farthest away from the main building, as she was already close to being late and the lot was almost full. She grabbed her bag hastily and hurried towards the school.

 

She was sure was open when she caught a glimpse of quad. There were fountains with elaborate busts and statues everywhere. Stone benches adorned the borders, and lush patches of grass only added to the majestic forest vibe she was feeling.

 

“Holy mother of-“ She was fixated on the sight in front of her.

 

“Excuse me, miss.” A gentle voice made her snap out of her trance. A short old lady was by her side.

 

“Are you Song Jieun by chance?” Jieun could only gulp and nod.

 

The woman clasped her hands together energetically. “Ah yes, I spoke to your father on the phone earlier. You’re the only new student of the senior class. He requested that I you to your first class, saying that you’d get lost.”

 

Bless his soul. Jieun let out a sigh of relief, grateful for her father’s thoughtfulness. “Thank you so much.”

 

“Oh, it’s no problem. I’m the principal, Ms. Kim. I really hope you enjoy your year here.” She shook hands with Jieun, who gave her a little bow.

 

“I’ve looked at your transcripts. Quite marvelous, you’re an amazing student, Miss Song. With our challenging academic curriculum, you’ll fit in perfectly.” She continued.

 

Jieun could help but blush at her compliments. She knew she was smart, but she still liked hearing it from people other than her parents.

 

Her homeroom class was in the main building. They stopped at the door. Ms. Kim handed her a copy of her schedule. “If you need any help, don’t hesitate to stop by my office. Have fun today, Jieun.” Jieun bowed again in respect to her, thankful for the .

 

She opened the door to the classroom. The teacher was in the middle of a speech about… College? Jieun assumed that was what it was, seeing that he was holding up a pamphlet about Seoul National University, Jieun’s school of choice.

 

The teacher saw her standing by the door awkwardly. The students looked at her expectantly. She could hear the whispers of the girls and suggestive looks from some of the boys. “Miss Song! You finally showed up. Everyone, this is your new classmate, Song Jieun.”

Once Jieun stopped blushing so much, she smiled brightly at the class, remembering her father’s words last night. The class seemed welcoming enough.

 

“Jieun, you can sit…” He searched for a place for her to sit, “next to Hana.” A girl with dark hair waved to Jieun. Jieun sat next to Hana as the teacher went on about Seoul National University.

 

Hana leaned over to whisper in Jieun’s ear. “You’re sticking to me today.”

 

Jieun was taken aback. “Uh, what did you say?”

 

“Everyone’s been talking about you this morning. At our assembly before homeroom, Ms. Kim announced to the entire school that we would have a new senior. We haven’t had a new student for the past 3 years. You must be pretty damn rich and talented to get in your last year.” Hana cheekily whispered.

 

Jieun didn’t know what to say. Hana was so straightforward that it scared her. “Not even. My parents pinch their pennies, honestly. Well, they used to…” Jieun added the sidenote quietly to herself. “And if you mean talent, I’m only mediocre at singing.”

 

Hana smirked. “Finally! Someone who’s modest around here. You’re a breath of fresh air, Jieun.”

 

“I don’t get it.” Jieun’s brow furrowed. Her comments about Jieun barely made sense.

 

The bell suddenly rang, signaling the passing period between homeroom and 1st. Jieun slung her bag over her shoulder, waiting for Hana’s reply.

 

“I’ll explain to you at lunch. Let me see your schedule.” Hana commanded. Jieun meekly handed it to her. Hana raised an eyebrow. “Wow. You’re really smart, huh?”

 

“Not really…” Jieun turned red.

 

“We have majority of our classes together. Come on, I don’t want to be late.”

 


 

Jieun’s first four classes went by smoothly. Every time she entered a class, she had to introduce herself to the entire class. By 4th period, Jieun was used to the attention. A handful of girls smiled at her, but most gave her the once-over and glared when they saw boys gawking at Jieun. Some of the gutsiest and greasiest looking boys whistled when she passed by, making Jieun red as a ripe tomato throughout the entire morning.

 

Hana helped Jieun fit into her new environment. Hana kept watching the clock, however, and her eyes glimmered with mischief and excitement when it was finally lunch.

 

Jieun didn’t know what to expect, as Hana literally dragged her to the cafeteria. When they pushed through the heavy glass doors, Jieun’s eyes almost bulged out of her sockets. Sure, her old high school in Seocho was fairly nice, but this was over the top. The vast tables were full of food that was hot and ready to eat. It smelled absolutely heavenly in the ballroom-like space. Jieun’s stomach growled.

 

However, her eyes were most drawn to the marble grand staircase in the middle of the room. If someone went up the stairs, they would end up a few tables like the ones downstairs. Jieun didn’t understand why they were set apart from the others. She shrugged. It was probably for teachers or something. That would explain why none of the students were using it.

 

“Hana!” Two girls nearest the staircase called out. Jieun and Hana hurried over to them and Hana hugged them both. When they were done with the shrieking and animated chatter, Hana cleared .

 

“I want you guys to meet Jieun. Jieun, this is Hyosung and Sunhwa. They’re my best friends.”

 

“Hi, I’m Jieun.” Jieun tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear, shyly introducing herself. The girl with a brunette bob flashed her a gummy smile.

 

“I’m Hyosung, and this is Sunhwa.” Hyosung gestured to the tall girl beside her. Sunhwa hugged Jieun. Jieun laughed nervously at the sudden contact.

 

Hana rolled her eyes. “Ignore Sunhwa, she’s really affectionate.”

 

“It’s okay, I’m pretty affectionate too. Hana, I don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re really sweet, Sunhwa.” Jieun giggled. She felt so comfortable around these girls and she had no idea why. Jieun felt so welcome and wanted around them.

 

Sunhwa let go and looked at Hana and Hyosung. “You were right, Hana. I thought you were being sarcastic in your texts during class, but she’s different.”

 

“I told you so. Therefore, she has to stick with us.” Hana smirked again.

 

“Yeah, she needs to stay this way.” Hyosung agreed.

 

Jieun was baffled. “Wait, what?”

 

“Sit down, Jieun.” Hana made Jieun take a seat on the plush chair. Jieun nibbled at the salmon on her plate.

 

Hana took a deep breath. “Look around you. What do you see?”

 

Jieun looked at her classmates around her. It looked like a wealthy teenagers’ convention, with all of them comparing material possessions, as if it was a competition. Jieun knew what was off with this school. Everyone was too self-righteous and self-centered. Now that she thought about it, it kind of bothered her a bit. She could be considered one of these people now, but Jieun refused to. She wrinkled her nose.

 

Hana didn’t let her answer. “Exactly, all the girls are es here. I can promise you that we’re the nicest girls here. Everyone is so judgmental and rude at this school, I can’t stand it. That is why I want you to stay by my side. I see that you’re genuinely nice, and it would be shame to see you get changed.”

 

“Well, I’m sure not every single person is selfish like that. Right?” Jieun still wanted to be naïve.  

 

“Does it look like I’m kidding? We’re being dead serious.” Hana shook her head sadly.

Jieun didn’t want to believe that a school could be so fake, but she was glad she was with the right people. It seemed like she could trust them.

 

But she was too trusting. She trusted too easily.

 

She wanted to be more wary, but she decided to let herself trust them for now. “Thanks for the heads up guys. Especially you, Hana, I would’ve been eating in the bathroom if it wasn’t for you today.” She smiled.

 

Hana pursed her lips. “Don’t thank me just yet.”

 

Hyosung and Sunhwa glanced at their phones. “It’s 12:15. They should be down here by now.”

 

“Who should be down here?” Jieun looked at the grand staircase once again. She noticed a lot of other people at other tables were looking in the direction of the staircase also. This school was way too confusing for her.

 

Hana yawned. “I’m betting that at least 20 girls will try to give them a homemade cake they baked.”

 

“More like 40.” Hyosung eyes were unwavering. Sunhwa bit her nails in anticipation.

 

“I don’t mean to interrupt, but what’s going on?” Jieun was intrigued. It seemed as if the cafeteria was growing increasingly louder with every passing second.

 

“You’ll see. Oh look, here they come now.” Hana leaned back.

 

A group of six boys walked through the entrance to the cafeteria. The room fell dead silent.

 

“B.A.P is back.”

 


 

A/N: Okay, so many of you may be thinking, "Oh this sounds so cliche," and I will admit that this is a bit cliche. Okay, maybe a lot. But, I have tricks up my sleeve and quirks to the characters that will set this apart from other stories. Besides, we all want a typical fanfic sometimes, don't we? ;)

Suscribe and comment! Especially comment... I'll reply to them all and it's what keeps me writing. Your feedback is pretty important to me.

-Adri