Chapter 14

Lion and the Lamb

Jieun found it nearly impossible to focus on what Daehyun was saying. She crossed her legs in the limo, the fabric of the dress rubbing against her. When she put the dress on in front of Sunhwa, her jaw dropped. Gorgeous was an understatement. It was a silky burgundy red, with encrusted jewels adorning the bodice. Although it was long, it hugged her slight curves just right while not coming off as too form-fitting.

 

“You look like a princess. A fiery-red princess.” Hana joked with her. Hyosung and Kikwang agreed.

 

Well, Jieun certainly felt like a princess tonight.

 

The limo soon came to a halt, and the driver escorted the teenagers out. Jieun’s heart started to beat faster as they stepped into the ballroom. Daehyun’s hand guided her through the throng of champagne-drinking socialites and crisp waiters. Zelo and Hana followed close by, greeting numerous adults. It seemed like every wealthy person in Apgujeong knew each other.

 

When Daehyun made small talk with what seemed like the millionth CEO, Jieun flagged down a waiter and took a glass of champagne. She let the bubbly concoction glide down . Jieun looked around awkwardly, feeling out of place. She didn’t know anyone except her friends.

 

Jieun was growing impatient. Daehyun had been talking to the wrinkly old man for 10 minutes. Her friends were nowhere to be seen.

 

She absentmindedly played with her garment. Her heart raced even faster, and she knew exactly why.

 

He was here. It was almost as if she could feel his presence in the ballroom. She had so many questions for him, but she couldn’t find him. He was acting awfully elusive, which was unsettling since he was usually straightforward. He didn’t play games with Jieun, unlike…

 

Yongguk.

 

Where was Yongguk, anyway? His mom was in charge of the event, he had to be around somewhere. As soon as she tried to spot him, Daehyun grabbed her again.

 

“Sorry about that, he’s a family friend.” Daehyun and Jieun made their way to the dessert table. She popped a chocolate-covered strawberry in to calm her nerves. It didn’t work.

 

“Is everyone your family friend here? Everyone is so close to each other.” She commented. Daehyun only chuckled at her.

 

“That’s kind of true. The upper class of Apgujeong is like one big family.”

 

“How uous.” Jieun fibbed, feeling herself loosen up only a tiny bit.

 

“Come on, there’s someone you have to meet.” He took hold of her hand. Jieun ignored Daehyun’s advances. He was her date, after all.

 

“Who?”

 

“My second mom, Ms. Bang Sora.”

 


 

Yongguk surveyed the scene of Ball goers below him. At the front of the ballroom was an elevated platform in which he had to greet his guests and make stupid small talk with them. His mother insisted that he be nothing but the perfect, polite gentleman to everyone that stepped in his way.

 

It also didn’t help that Gina kept hanging on to his arm like she would die without him next to her.

 

“Would you like a glass of champagne, miss?” A waiter inquired of Gina. She shook her head, giggling.

 

She was drunk already off of several strong drinks in the limo, like he expected. He glanced over at his mom. She raised a disapproving eyebrow. Gina looked like she was about to vomit.

 

“I think you need to go to the bathroom, babe.” Yongguk suggested in the nicest way possible, so he could be rid of her for a few minutes.

 

Gina slurred, “I think so, too. I’ll be right back. Don’t miss me too much, baby.” She attempted to plant a sloppy kiss on his lips, but missed and instead landed on his chin, thankfully.

 

As soon as she was out of earshot, his mother spoke. “I don’t like her.”

 

He sighed. “I know, mom.”

 

She kept a tight smile plastered on her face, nodding at the people passing by. As the hosts, they couldn’t be seen as anything but happy.

 

“Then how could you bring her as your date? There are tons of nice girls you could’ve asked. The moment everyone finds out she is a hooker, we’ll be shamed.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll send someone to the restroom to her out. She’s too drunk to have any power over anything that happens.”

 

“Good. And Yongguk?”

 

“Yes, mom?”

“Who is Daehyun’s date? I’ve never met her before.” She gestured to the burgundy-clad girl walking up the steps to meet them.

 

Yongguk turned around. His breath caught. Jieun looked…

 

She looked…

 

He couldn’t believe he was saying this, but Song Jieun looked absolutely ravishing. She was, by far, the most beautiful woman in the room that night.

 

The dress was perfect on her, and the way her eyes twinked set him in a daze.

 

His mother took note of his reaction. She nudged him to come back to his senses.

 

“Good evening, Ms. Bang. I’d like to introduce you to my date, Miss Song Jieun.” Jieun bowed.

 

Ms. Bang shook her hand. “It’s nice to meet you, Jieun. How come I have never been acquainted with you before?”

 

“She just moved here from Seocho. She’s in our senior class.” Daehyun added.

 

“Ah, yes. You are the talented transfer I heard about from my subordinate.”

 

“Oh, thank you, Ms. Bang. I am well acquainted with you son, also.” Jieun finally spoke. She refused to look into Yongguk’s eyes. His eyes seemed to burn into her face.

 

“That’s wonderful, how come you’ve never mentioned Jieun before, Yongguk?”

 

Yongguk shrugged, still at a loss of words.

 

God, she was breathtaking.

 

No matter how many times he looked at her, his gaze would always settle on her lips. He his own, resisting the urge to kiss them.

 

Wait, was he actually thinking of kissing her? He needed to stop.

 

The only way he could prevent his fervent fantasies from taking over was doing was he did best—being a cold-hearted jerk.

 

He brushed past her coldly. “I’m going to see what’s up with Gina. My date needs me. See you two around.”

 

Jieun couldn’t help but feel a twinge of disappointment. She wished he would’ve stayed to talk. Now it was just Daehyun and her. Not that she minded Daehyun, but she was looking forward to seeing Yongguk.

 

And for the love of all things holy, he looked hotter than he had ever been. Yongguk was dressed in all black, and the simplicity seemed to accentuate his appeal more. So maybe it was a good thing he left—if she looked at him one more time, she wouldn’t be able to take it.

 

“Stupid hormones.” She muttered to herself.

 

“What was that?” Daehyun asked.

 

She shook her head, covering it up with a bright smile. “Nothing, Daehyun. Nothing.”

 


 

Yongguk breathed a sigh of relief. One of the waiters offered to take Gina home, as she passed out on the bathroom floor. He wouldn’t have to worry about her until tomorrow morning, where he could lie to her about what happened at the Formal Ball.

 

Now, he could just concentrate on the one girl he wanted to see.

 

Song Jieun.

 

If he couldn’t have her tonight, the least he could do was to see her happy. He had to say that Daehyun was being a great date in terms of making her feel comfortable in an environment that must be strange to her.

 

As he searched for her on the dance floor, he came colliding with a boy about his age and his height. He had a nice head of dark hair with a baby face. He looked completely innocent, except for the mischievous smirk he sported.

 

“Sorry, man.” He apologized to the stranger. Yongguk didn’t know who he was, nor did he know who invited him.

 

“Excuse me, but who invited you? I don’t know who you are.” Yongguk tentatively asked.

 

The stranger smirked again. “Lee Kikwang invited me. I’m Yang Yoseob.”

 

Kikwang invited him? Why would Kikwang bring a friend? He didn’t remember him mentioning this Yoseob dude at all.

 

“Alright then, nice to meet you. I’m Bang Yongguk. My mom is in charge of this whole thing.”

 

“Awesome. Now that we know each other, can you help me with something?” Yoseob’s eyes glinted with determination.

 

“Sure. What’s up?” Something about Yoseob threw Yongguk off.

 

“Could you tell me where Song Jieun is? I haven’t been able to find her the entire night.” Yoseob explained.

 

Yongguk narrowed his eyes. Suddenly, he didn’t like Yoseob.

 

“Why do you want to know where she is?” Yongguk’s voice turned menacing.

 

Yoseob shrugged. “Just wondering. It’s alright, I think I can find her myself now.” Yoseob backed off when Yongguk stepped closer, as if trying to threaten Yoseob.

 

Yoseob slipped away before Yongguk to say another word. This didn’t seem right. Yongguk had to find Jieun and get the answers he wanted.

 

He wanted to get to her before Yoseob did.

 

After what seemed like hours of searching and weaving through a sea of guests over and over again, he finally saw her.

 

Jieun was alone and Daehyun was nowhere in sight. He let out a little chuckle when he caught her stuffing more appetizers in . He slithered silently behind her.

 

Jieun felt his breathy voice in her ear. “Enjoying yourself, Miss Song?”

 

She gasped in surprise. “Jeez Yongguk, you scared me.” Jieun grinned at Yongguk.

 

He was stunned. “You look lovely tonight.”

 

“Thanks. You do, too.” Jieun willed herself not to look at him.

 

“Is the floor that interesting to you?” He commented on her lack of eye contact with him.

 

“Uh, no. Sorry.” She replied softly.

 

“I’m going to get some fresh air, care to join me?” He suggested.

 

“Sure.” Jieun answered nonchalantly, but inside, she was bubbling with excitement that she was getting him alone, especially when he looked like this.

 

They reached a balcony upstairs that overlooked some of the city. “It’s beautiful up here.”

 

He nodded, his eyes traveling up her body that was dimly illuminated by the light inside. She attracted him beyond belief, and it took his last shred of self-restraint to not throw her in his car this very instant.

 

Yongguk was mere millimeters away from Jieun’s lips. He could kiss her right now. No, he would kiss her right now.

 

“Jieun.” He whispered. She was taken aback by the huskiness of it, thus reducing her to mush.

 

Once she turned to face him, it would all be over for her. She wanted it to happen so badly, yet she kind of enjoyed this tension. The satisfaction of having him close to her was enough.

 

“Ahem.” Jieun and Yongguk whipped around.

 

Yongguk’s jaw clenched as he ground his teeth.

 

This ing bastard, ruining our perfect moment.

 

There stood Yang Yoseob in all his glory, reveling in the reaction he elicited from the two. Jieun looked like she was going to faint.

 

Jieun opened , but no words came out. She knew he was going to be here, but it still shocked her.

 

The love of her life, the man she dreamed of marrying, was right before her eyes.

 

“May I talk to Jieun for a moment?” Yoseob questioned, but it sounded more like he was commanding Yongguk rather than asking for his permission. That pissed him off.

 

Yongguk was about to tell Yoseob to leave, but Jieun stepped forward, indicating that she wanted to speak to Yoseob. Alone.

 

“Fine,” he grunted, “I’m going back downstairs.” Yongguk glared at Yoseob in the dark, knowing he wouldn’t catch it.

 

As soon as Yongguk was out of their sight, he hid behind the wall adjacent to the door.

 

Yes, he was eavesdropping. And no, he didn’t really care that he lied about it.

 

Outside, Yoseob closed the space between him and Jieun. “I knew the dress would look amazing on you.”

 

“Well, you did go shopping with me all the time.” Jieun spoke in a hushed tone, as if she knew Yongguk was listening in.

 

“What were you doing with that Yongguk guy out here?” Yongguk noted the jealousy in Yoseob’s voice. Yongguk smirked triumphantly. Good.

 

“We were just getting some fresh air.” She countered defensively.

 

“It didn’t look like it.” He spat.

 

“We’re just friends, Yoseob. Only friends, and nothing more.” Jieun said. Yongguk looked down. He couldn’t deny that the words hurt. But, she was only telling the truth.

 

“Don’t lie to me, Ji-“

 

“I’m not lying to you! God damn it, Yoseob, can you stop being so jealous for once in your life?” Jieun burst out.

 

“I thought you’d be happier to see me. I came back for you.”

 

“No, you didn’t. Your parents relocated back to Korea.”

 

“Who told you that?”

 

“Kikwang. He told me everything.”

 

“I told him not to say anything.” Yoseob sighed. The silence dragged on.

 

“I missed you. I missed you a  lot.” Yoseob continued.

 

“Then why didn’t you call? Why didn’t you try to talk to me while you were in America at all?”

 

“We broke up and I thought you needed your space. I’m sorry, I know you should’ve. Let me make it up to you.” Yoseob attempted to take hold of her, but Jieun shoved him off.

 

By this time, she was crying. “Are you… crying?”

 

“Yes, I’m crying. I’m crying because I feel like such a fool.” She sniffled.

 

“Jieun-“

 

“Do you know how long I waited for you? How many sleepless nights I spent because I missed you so much? There were days when I couldn’t even get out of bed because I’d wake up sobbing. And now that you’re here, I don’t know what to do, how to act, how to-“

 

He cut her sobs off with a tight hug. Jieun cried loudly into his shoulder. “Shh, I’m here now.”

 

“I just can’t-“

 

Yoseob put a finger to her lips. “Don’t talk.”

 

The next thing she knew, Jieun was being kissed by Yoseob. He cusped her face while Jieun wrapped her arms around his waist.

 

Unbeknownst to Jieun, Yongguk was now watching them in the doorway.

 

Yongguk’s heart dropped, and he could swear he felt it shatter into a million pieces.

 


 

A/N: Whew! The chapter was long! I finally wrote the anticipated Formal Ball chapter. And even though a ton of stuff just happened, I can promise you this is only the beginning. A lot more is going to go down in Apgujeong, now that Yoseob is back. ;)

 

Again, thank you for reading! I love you guys! <3

 

Don’t forget to subscribe/comment/upvote!

 

P.S.- Here’s some more shameless advertising: Follow me on Instagram and Twitter (for those of your that have it) and I’ll follow you back!

                                    Instagram: @Stuurge

                                    Twitter: @Stuurge