Seniors

Reply

Diary Entry #23

Everyone says I should tell you how I feel. But it’s not that simple, I'd rather be your best friend than end up being the awkward girl with all the feelings...

Being in love with you for the past two years have brought not only happiness but hope for me, the girl who’d been called a best friend all her life. The way you carried yourself always fascinated me, not because you knew how to dress trendy but because of how you presented yourself with charm and knowledge. Your eyes, nose, lips, and smile are what I dream of every day, but your kindness, friendliness and protectiveness are what I treasure the most.

I still remember making a promise that I will never fall for you yet here I am wishing every day that I was with you. Remembering the first day of our first year in high school brings a smile to my lips. I can still clearly remember that moment when you took my breath away, with you looking in the mirror readying yourself for high school. I fell in love with you that day, and ever since then I’ve been wishing for you to do the same. Two years have pass, I know, but here I am still hoping you’ll reciprocate the feeling I have for you.

I love you Jiyong…I am madly in love with you.

******

“Dara, breakfast is ready!” my mom yelled through the kitchen, “Hurry you’ll be late!”

“Coming!” I replied making the finishing touches to my uniform. After much trouble, I quickly gathered my book bag and headed for the breakfast table. My mom was still busy cooking while my dad read the newspaper.

“Morning ahjussi,” I called over.

My dad quickly let his paper down and smiled at me, “Ahjussi?”

I nodded, “Better than Mister Park, right?”

My dad nodded, “How about calling me Appa instead?”

“No,” I answered after munching on a piece of toast, “I can’t call you that.”

“Fine,” my dad sighed, “I’ve said sorry a million times already, I’m sorry for missing your dance recital.”

“Well, not forgiven Ah-ju-ss—i!”

He sighed, “Alright, I promise to go to your next performance.”

A smiled slowly crept up to my face, “Omma, didn’t he SAY the exact same thing last performance?”

My mom turned, smiled, and nodded, “Yeah, that ahjussi did promise the same thing.”

“YEOBO!” my dad whined, “I said I was sorry.”

“Tsk, tsk,” my mom replied ignoring my father’s plea, “Not forgiven.”
“Still?” a familiar voice interrupted.

I quickly faced him, “Jiyong-ie!”

“Bo?” he answered while quickly occupying the empty chair next to mine. “Joh-eun achim samchon-I”

“Oh good morning, Jiyong-a” my father replied, “Where’s your hyung?”

“He left for work already,” he answered after stealing the bread that I was eating.

“YA! Get your own, the bread’s right there,” I shouted a bit miffed.

“I like this one better,” he replied before turning to my father again, “Appa asked if you wanted to come over later for a drink.”

My dad smiled, “Sure, I’ll call him.”

“Omma, where’s my lunch?” I asked my mom after finishing my breakfast.

“Here,” my mom replied after handing me my lunch box.

“Thanks omma!”

“Have fun at school today, my senior student!”

I quickly embraced my mom before heading towards the table again completely ignoring my dad. “You ready?”

Jiyong quickly finished his tea and got up, “Let’s go!’”

We quickly headed for our school, excited for our last year. Ah, finally, after two painful years, I Sandara Park, am now a senior. Finally.

“YA, stop daydreaming you’ll hit someone.”

“OH, mianhe,” answered nodding off, “Jiyong-ie we’re seniors.”
“Finally,” he replied, “I wanna graduate already.”

“Same, I mean high schools fun and all but I wanna experience college life already.”

“Pass all your classes first before dreaming that.”

“I WILL!” I replied determined.

He laughed before ruffling my straightened hair. “YA! You’re ruining my hair!”

He continued to ruffle it until I smacked his hands away.

Despite knowing his faults, this boy right here is the reason why my heart beats faster than normal. I’ve been in love with my best friend for the past two years. He’s the reason why I’ve turned down four of suitors, waiting for the day ‘til he finally realizes he has feeling for me too. Two years of unrequited love may seem long, but for Jiyong, I’ll wait centuries.

Ever since we’ve entered high school, I’ve been in love with him. Though I know every other girl in our school is in love with him, I can confidently say that I have an advantage, I’m the closest girl to him. Lucky right? Yup, I know.

“DARA!” I heard a familiar voice scream.

Quickly turning around, I came face to face with my second best friend, “BOMM-IE!!”

We quickly embraced and yelped, “FINALLY SENIORS!!”

“Aish so noisy, “Jiyong whined, “I’ll see you guys later, oh tokki share your lunch with me, forgot mine.”

“YAH!” I answered but he was already too far, “Ugh, he always does this.”

Bom laughed placing her arm around my hand, “That’s what I call love, so have you made progress yet?”

I sighed, “Nope, scared.”

“Aigoo!” she pouted, “You need to tell him how you feel, you never know, he could fall for someone else.”

Shaking my head I quickly deleted that idea off my head, “Nope, I have the advantage remember?”
Bom sighed, “Hopeless, just tell him.”

“I’m working on it,” I answered, “This year, definitely.”

“Jeongmal?”

“Cre.”

I will, definitely tell him this year.

*******

“Class listen up!” our professor called as we faced to turn him. “We have a new student this year, her names Lee Seo Hyun, introduce yourself Seo Hyun.”

The girl faced everyone in class, she seemed a bit embarrassed but proceeded to introduce herself, “Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Seo Hyun-imnida, I just moved here from Seoul. Please take care of me.”
“Every girl in class smiled, wanting to befriend the girl already. She was pretty I must admit.

“Dara, please show Seo Hyun around school,” my professor said before pointing Seo Hyun to the empty chair next to mine. She quickly headed my direction smiling upon me as she took her seat.

“Annyeong, I’m Dara,” I introduced holding out my hand which she quickly shook, “Hopefully you like our school.”

She smiled, “It’s nice, much better than my old school.”
“Waeyo?” I asked curious, usually Seoul schools were much better than province schools.

“It’s much quieter and peaceful,” she replied.

I nodded still a bit confused, “Well I’ll show you around today so don’t worry, you’ll make lots of friends here. Hopefully I’m your first friend.”

She smiled, “You are.”

We both laughed before getting scolded by the teacher. Since it was the first day of class I quickly knew which friends I would introduce her too.

After what seemed like hours of lessons, the bell finally rang signaling it was finally lunch time. I quickly gathered my lunch box and headed towards the cafeteria with Seo Hyun in tow.

“Annyeong!” I greeted as we reached our usual lunch table. Bom which was seated already turned and smiled at me before turning to face Seo Hyun. “Oh you’re the new student right?”

Seo Hyun shyly nodded, “Deh.”

“Where the boys?” I asked.

“Getting lunch, I haven’t seen Jiyong though,” Bom replied.

“Yo!” a voice interrupted, “I’m here.”

Jiyong walked towards us stopping after noticing Seo Hyun, “Who’s she?”
Seo Hyun turned to face Jiyong and shyly smiled.

“Oh nabi she’s a new student here, Lee Seo Hyun,” I answered.

Jiyong smiled and held out his hand towards Seo Hyun, “Annyeong, Kwon Jiyong-imnida.”

“Annyeong, Lee Seo Hyun” Seo Hyun answered back.

“Where you from Seo Hyun-shi?” he asked again seeming too happy to meet Seo Hyun.

“Seoul,” she replied, “My dad got transferred here.”

Jiyong nodded before turning to face me, “Where’s my lunch?”
Sighing I quickly handed him mine, “Aish, you really need to start bringing your own food, I’m bones already, I need to eat!”
“Sharing is caring,” he sarcastically answered before taking out a bag from his backpack, “Omma made these for you.”

I quickly grabbed the bag knowing it contained my favorite, freshly baked bread, “Yum!”

“Let’s all take a seat before the rest gets here,” Jiyong announced after taking a seat next to Seo Hyun. “What are you having for lunch Seo Hyun?”
“Uhm I was thinking of purchasing today,” she replied seemingly sad.

Jiyong faced towards me, “Yah, share a bread with her.”

“Huh?” I answered not really hearing what he said.

“Share the bread with Seo Hyun, she didn’t bring food today,” he repeated.
“Oh, no problem.” Answering after taking a bread and handing it to Seo Hyun, “Take it, don’t be shy.” I quickly took a seat on the other side of Jiyong planning to steal my food back.

She smiled and gratefully took the breab. I turned towards my lunchbox which was opened already.  I quickly picked up a piece of sausage and ate it.

“Yo!” a familiar voice called out. I turned to face the rest of the guys, Taeyang, Seungri, Seunghyun, and Daesung.

“Annyeong oppa!” Bom called out to Taeyang, the love of her life.
“Annyeong chagiya!” he sweetly replied. Both quickly sat side by side all lovey-dovey.

Seungri and Daesung quickly sat and started their lunch while Seunghyun sat beside me.

“Annyeong,” I greeted.

“Annyeong,” he replied, “What are you having for lunch?”

“Bread, he took my lunch,” I pointed at Jiyong.
I have steak and samgyupsal, want some?” he asked.

I quickly and happily nodded, “Omo, you really are rich, yum samgyupsal.”

“Yah, share!” Jiyong interrupted after hearing me say samgyupsal.

*****

After lunch the boys and us girls separated heading for our next classes. I showed Seo Hyun the rest of the school, gladly getting a ticket out of classes.

“How long have you been best friends with Jiyong, Dara-shi?” she suddenly asked while we headed for math.

“We’ve been best friends since we were young,” I answered, “Our parents are really good friends.”

She quickly nodded and smiled, “Must be nice to have a friend like him.”

“You bet, he’s a really good friend.”

She smiled, “At first I thought you and him were an item.”

“Deh?”

She laughed, “Sorry for making the conclusion.”

I shook my head, “Oh no, we’re just really good friends.”

She nooded again, “Thanks for introducing me to everyone today Dara.”

“No problem, it was my pleasure, but sadly now we have to head to math, Miss Song-terror Mun.”

She gulped nervously before sighing, “Alright let’s go.”

We both laughed even though I knew the class would be terror.