At Your Side

Loved by Mistake
CHAPTER VI
AT YOUR SIDE
_______________________________________

Minho

Three months after the accident and Sulli hasn’t regained he consciousness yet.

Flashback

I woke up lying in a hospital bed, my entire body is aching from the impact it received from the accident. My mom rush beside me and you can clearly see the relief on her face; her eyes were both puffy and swollen probably from all the crying she did. “Mom where’s Sulli?” I asked her. She was the first thing on my mind when I woke up, how is she and what is she doing right now?

“Minho, let me call the doctor first to let them know you’re already awake” but before my mom could leave the room I got up and removed all the cords plastered to the body and the IV on my hand. Mom rushed beside me and started crying. “Minho, please calm down” she said.

“Mom, where’s Sulli? I need to see her, I need to know she’s okay” I said trying to get up from the bed. The nurses tried to stop me and I saw one injected something on my IV, probably some sedative. My muscles started to loosen up and I felt really heavy until I finally closed my eyes.

I woke up and the sun is shining brightly on my face. “I saw my mom talking to Sulli’s mom.”

“Mom,” I said. The two were surprised to see me awake. “Mom, where is Sulli?” I asked again.

“Minho, please calm down, Sulli is at the other room,” auntie said.

“I want to see her.”

“Later son, when you’re stronger” and I doze back to sleep.

For days, no one asked me about the accident. When my parents allowed me to finally visit Sulli I found her parents sitting on the sofa beside her bed.

“I’m sorry Uncle Lee, it’s all my fault.”

“No Minho, you already slowed down and signaled to stop on the side of the road but that bastard was driving crazily and hit your car, it’s not your fault” he said.

“But I shouldn’t let Sulli ride with me that night, I should’ve asked Jonghyun to drive her home instead.”

“Minho listen to me carefully, I’m sure Sulli did not regret coming with you that night, she’ll be sad to see you blaming yourself for the accident, so please stop it.” Auntie Lee said and hugs me.

End flashback

When I was discharged from the hospital, I spend almost every day at Sulli’s room. Every morning, Yoona and I would have breakfast together in front of Sulli and most of the time Yoona would tell me stories of her and Sulli when they were still in England. Before I leave at night, I will always whisper to her ears to please wake up because many people already miss her.

Her room is full of drawings from the children at the orphanage; sometime two or three kids together with a guardian would visit at the hospital. Every day, one or two of her employees would visit her and would always cry whenever they see their bubbly and energetic boss lying helplessly in a hospital bed. Every day, I saw how special Sulli is by the way people around her describe her.

Today is my first day back at work; I wasn’t given OR shift yet so I was stuck with clinic duties. Its okay for me, at least I can always visit Sulli at her room. Before I went to the clinic, Yoona texted me to have breakfast with her at Sulli’s room. We were eating when I suddenly thought to ask her a question.

“Yoona, can I ask you something?” I said.

“Sure, what is it?”

“Why is Sulli so close to the children at the orphanage?” she stops eating and stand up to look at the drawing posted at the wall.

“She never mentioned it to you?” she asks me.

“We never had the chance to talk too much, it’s only been three or four days since our first meeting when the accident happened.”

“Oh sorry,” she said and got back at looking at the drawings.

“But I feel like I somehow know her too well, because of the stories you told me when you were still in England” she walks by Sulli’s bed and sat on her side.

“Sulli is an only child; she grew up alone in a big mansion. She never had any cousin or relative close to her age. Sulli grew up under the spot light of society having rich and famous parents; she was born with a golden spoon on . There was a time where society was afraid to let their children come out of their houses because there was a series of kidnapping of rich children. One day, ten-year old Sulli convinced her nanny to bring her at a park near their house to play with the other children. Some unknown men tried to abduct her but a group of orphans helped her escaped them. Sulli was saved but it cost a life of an orphan who died trying to save her life, so from that day onwards Sulli promised to herself that she will do everything in her power to help that orphanage when those kids live.”

I was really surprised by what Yoona just told me, I never thought that the orphanage Sulli was trying to save when she agreed to marry has this deep significance in her life. “So that’s why she said yes to her parents.” Yoona just nodded.

“Afraid that it might happen again, her parents sent Sulli to a boarding school in England where the two of us met. But every year, she will go home every Christmas and April 18th.”

“What is so important on the 18th of April?”

“That’s the day the orphan died trying to save her life.”

“She blames the media for that right?”

“It’s not like that. For a person with a social status of Sulli, being under the watchful eyes of the public means putting your one foot on your grave” she said.

Yoona said goodbye and wished me luck on my first day back at work. After 8 hours of clinic duty, I was finally finished for the day. The hospital staffs welcomed me warmly and congratulate me for being back at work again. Instead of going straight home, I picked up a bouquet of roses at the flower shop and went to Sulli’s room to check up on her.

“Congratulations on your first day back at duty Dr. Choi, I see you missed your fiancé so much you went straight here after your shift” the head nurse teased me. After the news of the accident broke out, our parents decided to announce our engagement to the public. “I’m sure Ms. Sulli missed you too.”

When I entered her room I replaced the flowers I brought yesterday kissed her forehead and sat on the chair beside her bed. It’s been a habit for me to kiss her forehead every time I come to her room and talk to her. I feel like when I kiss her there, the frowns on her forehead would disappear. I started blabbering about my boring day to her. I closed my eyes and put my hands on my forehead and tilted my head back.

“Please wake up Ssul, your parents miss you, Yoona miss you, I miss you.”

“Why do you miss me, when you are here with me?” says a faint voice. I stand up looked at her. She’s awake now! I press the call button at the nurse station.

“Ssul, you’re awake now! Thank God!” I said repeating it over and over again like a mantra.

Then suddenly…

“Who are you?” she says.

 

***Sorry, she really needs to have an amnesia to make the story more exciting! Hope you like this chapter :) Looking forward to reading your comments. Thanks everyone for upvoting!***