Chapter 2 Updated!

Waiting For Him

 

Luhan dragged himself out of bed the next day, feeling exhausted. He drew a ragged breath and coughed violently. Rubbing his bleary eyes, he stood up and started to wash up. It was time for school.

 

“oh no…” he muttered softly to himself as he stared at the mirror. There were dark circles under his eyes and his eyes were red and puffy. Sighing to himself, he started to brush his teeth in a monotone sequence, reaching for his toothpaste and squeezing a generous amount onto his toothbrush.

 

After that, he splashed cool water on his face, feeling refreshed from last night. Then, he dragged himself back to the room and found some clothes to wear. Glumly, he took his bag and went downstairs for breakfast.

 

He took a box of cereal down from the cupboard and stared at it. He didn’t really feel like eating. He didn’t have the appetite. Sighing, he placed the cereal back, filling a glass of water to drink. Gulping the water down quickly, Luhan rinsed the glass and went out of the house, locking up behind him.

 

Luhan hesitated as he stood in front of Sehun’s house. They always waited for each other before going to school. Should he still wait for him? Luhan was worried that Sehun might find something amiss if he didn’t wait for him today. However, he need not worry.

 

 “Hyung!” Sehun called out as he came out of his house, walking up to Luhan and offering a smile,” Did you wait long?” he asked, stretching a little, revealing his white tummy. Luhan’s heart gave a tiny leap and he looked away. Smiling widely, Sehun said, ”Let’s go to school?”

 

Nodding, Luhan kept his eyes on the floor as they walked, the silence suffocating him. He didn’t know what to say. He was afraid whatever he say would betray his feelings. There was a dilemma in his heart, one even his brain can’t find the answer to.

 

 “Hyung?” Sehun asked uncertainly again, stopping to wave a hand in front of Luhan’s face. Luhan glanced up and stared in confusion.

 

“W-what?” Luhan asked Sehun. The younger boy rolled his eyes, “ It’s okay hyung.  You’re obviously spacing out.” Sehun started walking again, leaving Luhan to stand there in confusion. Rubbing his head, he started walking too, feeling miserable.

 

I wished I just said I couldn’t help him, Luhan thought miserably.

 

***

 

Luhan sat in his seat in class, waiting nervously for his tablemate and friend, Hyeri to come.  He stared at his hands, not knowing what to do. How do I ask her? What should I say? He watched the door carefully and finally, she walked in.

 

“Luhan!” She greeted enthusiastically, a tinge of pink across her cheeks. Luhan smiled briefly,”Hello, did something happen before you came?” Hyeri nodded and squealed,” Sehun waved to me today!” Luhan forced another smile,” That’s great! You like him right?”

 

Hyeri nodded happily and set her stuff down, “I’ve always liked him.” Luhan shifted uneasily on his seat. It was now or never, he had to tell her what Sehun wanted him to say. With that, he started nervously.

 

“Well…Sehun has been hinting to me that he might like you too…”Luhan began, hating himself for every word he said. I did it. “Omo! Jinjja?” Hyeri asked, eyes sparkling as she turned to face Luhan. He forced another smile and nodded.

 

“Why don’t you confess?” Luhan asked, feeling every word as sharp as knives, stabbing him painfully, right in the middle of his heart. “Well…maybe I will.” She said shyly.

 

Luhan turned away, feeling the familiar pricking of pain in his heart…

 

***

 

Lunch approached soon and Luhan went down, dazed by his many lessons. He was rubbing his eyes, which was sore after trying to desperately stay awake through the many lessons when he heard Sehun call him.

 

“Hyung!” Sehun called, waving to him from a table. Luhan shifted his gaze to Hyeri, wondering if Sehun’s motive of calling him was to get Hyeri to sit with them. Sighing to himself, he turned to her.

 

“Hyeri, would you like to join us for lunch?” he asked her, gesturing to where Sehun was. She blushed furiously and nodded her head. Score for Sehun then.

 

Leading Hyeri to the table, Luhan sat beside Sehun and let Hyeri sit opposite Sehun, hastily looking away as he saw the two of them blush. Looking down at his food, he tried to stay out of their conversation.

 

 

“…you play the guitar?”

 

“Y-yeah…”

 

“I didn’t know…that’s so cool.”

 

“Nah, not really…”

 

“It is!”

 

Luhan picked at his food as the bickering continued, feeling his heart beating painfully.

 

“Hyung!” Sehun said, turning to him. Luhan glanced up and turned to the younger boy.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Your nose is dripping” Sehun sighed, handing the older boy a tissue. Flushing in embarrassment, he wiped his nose.

 

“Im going to the bathroom,” Luhan mumbled, picking up his tray of uneaten food and dumping it out before going to the bathroom. He locked himself in a stall and took in deep breaths, trying to calm himself.

 

It was hurting him. It was breaking him. He hasn’t felt this bad for ages. He never knew how strong the power of love was, he never knew it would be that strong to break someone into so tiny.

 

He never knew…the power of love could knock someone down. Love wasn’t bad.

 

***

 

“Hyung, are you alright?” Sehun asked worriedly, looking at a pale Luhan. Luhan turned and smiled weakly at the younger boy.

 

“Yeah…I think I’m coming down with something though,” Luhan coughed, pulling his jacket tighter around himself. Sehun sighed loudly.

 

“Again.”

 

“No, it’s not again.”

 

“Yes it is! I just met you yesterday and you were sick.”

 

“But I didn’t become okay yesterday, so I didn’t become sick again today.”

 

“So you’re trying to say it just continued, huh?”

 

“Exactly!”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes and flicked Luhan’s forehead. “Does that even make any sense to you?” Luhan shrugged,” it doesn’t have to.”

 

“So, how’s Hyeri?” Luhan asked, hastily changing the subject. Sehun smiled happily, “ I think it’s going really great. Thanks hyung!”

 

Ouch.

 

“You’re welcome,” Luhan said with a smile, turning away from the younger boy, keeping his face hidden in his scarf. The two boys walked in silence until they reached Sehun’s house.

 

“Well, bye.” Luhan said awkwardly, waving as he continued walking towards his home.

 

Sehun watched the older boy walk slowly, his eyes trailing him, worriedly. What was wrong with his hyung? He could tell there was something bothering him. Was he really sick?

 

Sehun silently walked towards his house, his eyes still watching the older boy. Luhan didn’t notice the younger boy watching him, he ran his fingers through his hair, opening the door and swiftly disappeared behind it.

 

Luhan walked up the stairs to his room, letting himself fall onto the bed as soon as he sat on it. He rubbed his temples and sighed heavily. Clutching a pillow to his chest, he shut his eyes, trying to fall asleep.