Chapter 7

Waiting For Him

 

Kris held Luhan for awhile, not saying anything but just comforting him, his back gently. He didn’t know the reason behind why Luhan was crying, nor did he want to pry any further. The boy seemed so broken, he felt that all Luhan wanted was someone he could rely on.

 

“T-thank you.” Luhan whispered softly, pulling away from Kris’ embrace, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. Kris just shrugged, being a man of few words. He stared at the honey blonde haired boy, feeling bad for him.

 

“You can always come to me if you need anything…” Kris muttered awkwardly, causing Luhan to let out a soft chuckle. “Thank you Kris…really…” Luhan said softly, sniffing a little. Kris cracked a smile at Luhan,” No worries, I’m just helping a friend aren’t I?”

 

Luhan smiled at Kris, feeling grateful to him for being that pillar he could use. Speaking of Kris…Luhan vaguely remembered him being in a relationship. Perhaps, he could talk to him about it? Would Kris really listen patiently to him? Kris watched Luhan intently, sensing his hesitance.

 

“Do you have something you want to ask me?” Kris asked curiously, watching as Luhan’s expression turned to one of surprise. Luhan nodded sheepishly. “uhm, do you have a girlfriend…or a boyfriend?” he asked, hesitant. Luhan didn’t know of Kris’ ual orientation, not that he was interested to find out, having only eyes for Sehun.

 

Kris chuckled, “Well I have a boyfriend. Er, I’m supposed to meet him here, he should be coming soon.” Luhan sighed mentally in relief. So he liked boys too. Would he understand how he was feeling?

 

“What about you Luhan? I see you have many admirers.” Kris said, a smile on his face. Luhan shifted his weight awkwardly,” Ehm…my love life is non-existent.” Kris raised an eyebrow. Was it possibly his love life that is bothering him?

 

Before either of them had a chance to speak, a tall boy came running in their direction, straight into the tall boy’s arms. “Yiiii Faaaan,” he called, giggling a little. Luhan stood slightly to the side, a tiny smile on his lips. This must be his boyfriend then.

 

The tall dark haired boy pulled away from the older boy, smiling widely,” Oh? Who’s this friend ge?” Kris chuckled,” he’s my classmate, Luhan. Luhan, this is my boyfriend, panda.”

 

Smack.

 

“Ow..” Kris muttered, rubbing his arm. The dark haired boy glared at Kris before smiling at Luhan,” Hello Luhan ge! I’m Zitao.” Luhan shook his hand and smiled shyly. Tao was tall and handsome, with defined features. He seemed very much like Kris, to put it short. Luhan noticed the look in Kris’ eyes as he stared at Tao, so much affection. It made Luhan’s heart hurt.

 

“Well, I’ll leave you two alone…we’ll talk again next time then, Kris.” Luhan said, biding them goodbye. He then turned away, starting to walk home.

 

***

 

Kris turned back to his boyfriend, smiling fondly at him,” How are you baby?” he murmured softly, brushing the tips of his fingers across Tao’s cheek. Tao giggled and nuzzled his face onto Kris’ chest. “Mmm, I’ve been missing you.” He pouted at Kris,” let’s go watch that movie already, and maybe…Gucci?” he asked hopefully. Kris chuckled. The boy was too cute to be true.

 

“Alright. But just one bag. I’m not that rich you know.” Kris teased, intertwining their fingers together. The two of them walked together towards the mall, chattering happily about what happened in their day.

 

Kris met Tao at the airport in Seoul. Back then, earlier in the year, when they both first came to Korea to study. Tao had been sniffling then, crying softly during the flight. Kris had found him cute and adorable, leading to him taking the first step in getting to know him better. The two of them became close quickly. Kris wasn’t particularly fond of talking to people he didn’t know, which made Tao a very rare exception. Tao was the only one that managed to wheedle into Kris’ perfectly icy heart.

 

Tao on the other hand, was afraid to love, afraid to make any friends. At the start of their relationship, he didn’t dare to tell Kris anything about his problems, afraid that Kris might not want him anymore. Kris was the one that managed to reach into him and take him out of his shell.

 

Both of them were meant to be.

 

***

 

Luhan didn’t feel like going home right away, so he started to walk into the city, walking along a street that was bustling with activity. A serene smile on his face, he looked at all the shops as he passed, eyes sparkling when one shop had something he liked.

 

For that moment, it seemed as though he had forgotten about his worries and Sehun, for that moment, Luhan felt free. Sighing peacefully, he continued walking, until he spotted that shop. That bubbletea café that he always frequented with Sehun.

 

A sad smile crept onto his lips as he stared forlornly at it. Sehun ah…I miss you…His eyes wandered to a poster on the glass window on the shop. Help wanted. An idea formed in his mind and smiling to himself, Luhan found himself going into the shop.

 

“Hello! I’m here to apply for that job.” Luhan said in a light voice, pointing to the poster on the window. The lady took a glance at him and told him to hold on, before going into the back room. Nodding, Luhan proceeded to sit down at an empty table, his eyes wandering to the usual seats he took with Sehun.

 

“Why hello there young man!” A voice boomed beside him. Luhan turned around, to see a middle aged ahjumma. Smiling politely, he stood up and bowed,” Hello, I’m Luhan.” The aunty smiled warmly at him,” I’ve seen you come here often with that other boy” She said, her eyes twinkling. Luhan acknowledged her words with a smile, nodding his head a little, “ Yes, he’s my friend.”             

 

The aunty nodded at him, smiling,” Well, you want to work here, Luhan?” He nodded eagerly, eyes trailing to the bubbletea menu, looking specifically at the ones that he usually had with Sehun. “Well, can you start work now? You can work as many days as you want, after your school has ended.” She asked him, anticipating his answer.

 

Luhan beamed at her,” That would be great! Of course I can start now…thank you so much!” he gushed, standing up from his seat and bowing low to her.

 

***

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow!” Sehun smiled as he waved to Hyeri, watching her bounce up the road to her house. Hyeri turned around and waved back to Sehun, sending him a little flying kiss. Sehun chuckled, stuffing his hands into his pockets before turning around to find his way home.

 

He did it. He got a date with Hyeri finally. “I got to thank Luhan hyung again.” Sehun said in a happy tone, walking merrily on his way home. He didn’t know the pain Luhan was feeling because of him. Sehun never knew Luhan felt that way about him. Ever since young, when they had been best friends, he only ever saw him as the hyung that needed him because he seemed so weak and tiny. Besides, Luhan had suffered though many tough times and Sehun had desperately tried to be there for him. He didn’t like to see Luhan feeling miserable, trying to bottle up all his troubles with a smile and telling him everything was alright.

 

Even as a child, Sehun hated those words ‘ im okay’ because he knew people never really meant it, especially if their eyes showed so much pain. So why then, why did he not see through the pain that was so obviously clear in Luhan’s eyes? 

 

Because he was too blind to read the reason of his pain.

 

***

 

Luhan bowed once again to the owner of the bubbletea café, waving and smiling to her,” Yes, I’ll lock up and leave the keys under the flower pot,” he said enthusiastically. He liked his job. It made him happy, it left him with a bittersweet feeling, reminding him of Sehun yet, not letting him fall into a hellhole of despair and sadness.

 

It was 10pm at night and he was closing up, giving the tables a last wipe, placing the chairs properly. He hummed softly under his breath, working quickly. He had homework to do when he reached home, so he hurried, finally locking up at half past 10.

 

***

 

Sehun kept turning his head towards the window, watching anxiously for Luhan’s figure to walk up the street to the cottage beside his. Where was he? Sehun had gone over to Luhan’s place, knocking several times to no answer and proclaimed that Luhan was not home after many tries. He thought Luhan had extra lessons or probably went out with friends but…it was already 11pm, where could he be?

 

Sighing desperately, Sehun pressed his face against the window, eyes darting along the streets, watching for Luhan. Finally! He heaved a sigh in relief as he saw Luhan trudging up the street. He ran down the stairs, bolting out of the door, calling out Luhan’s name.

 

“Hyung!”

 

Luhan turned towards the source of voice and Sehun took a step back in shock. There were silent tears flowing down his cheeks, tiny gasps escaping his lips as he bit down hard on them. It made Sehun’s heart cringe. Luhan hyung…Instinctively, he stepped forward towards him, reaching an arm out.

 

“Hyung…what’s wrong…” he mumbled, gently Luhan’s back. Luhan shrinked out of Sehun’s grasp, giving the younger boy a pained apologetic smile, shaking his head slightly.

 

“I…need to be alone, Sehun ah…” Luhan mumbled through his broken sobs, walking slowly back to his home. Sehun watched in disbelief as Luhan forged ahead, as if heading straight into a battle. He knew something had been bothering Luhan for a long time now…ever since that day he asked.

 

sorry for the wait. i havnt finished editing the other chapters though otl