Day Seven - Worth

20 Day Writing Challenge

Day 7 - Worth ft Krystal (f(x)) and Jonghyun (SHINee)

Double update! keke enjoy~

Krystal entered the classroom early that morning and sat down on her seat. As usual, she was the first one to enter the classroom well before the sun rises. She checked her cell phone. It was 7.10am. If not for the bus she would have arrived in school at 7. Setting aside her frustration, she quickly flipped open her math assessment book and started on a few questions. She had to ace today’s test. Within 15 minutes, she had solved 4 math questions that usually took others more than 20 minutes to complete. Proud with herself, she continued to finish up the practice questions on the page.

By 7.30am, there were about 5 students, including Krystal, in class. They were the smarties. The 5 often competed to be the first in class, to represent the school for national competitions and were all not the kindest students around. All 5 of them frowned at the open assessment books in front of them, once again competing against each other to ace the test.

A tall figure walked past the blackboard and Krystal looked up. It was the class’ President, Kim Jonghyun. He wore his uniform neatly and his hair was straight and black. He stopped for a second to look at her, then her assessment book, and walked away. She took out the class attendance list from her table and handed it over to Jonghyun. He accepted it and walked towards his seat at the far corner of the class by the window. Luckily for him, he could still manage to look out of the window without sitting straight up. He brushed his hair away from his big round eyes and looked at the maya blue sky.

By 8.15am, most of the students were present in the classroom, with the exception of the troublemakers and the usual late-comers. After the form teacher period, Krystal turned around and called out to Jonghyun.

“Yah, Kim Jonghyun. It’s Tuesday.” Jonghyun looked rested his chin on his outstretched arm and looked at Krystal with sleepy eyes. He nodded and slowly stood up. Even though he was the President, the vice-President Krystal was scary to him and he felt like she had more authority than he did. He went round to collect late-coming fees from the usual people and carefully slide the notes into a box inside his small locker. Krystal went back to studying. Jonghyun looked at Krystal for a long minute before resuming his nap.

Finally, school ended. All the students streamed out of the school, glad that another day of torture was over. Jonghyun and Krystal were both put on classroom cleaning duties that day, since the 3 people who were supposed to do the cleaning were at detention. Jonghyun and Krystal worked in silence, with the warm rays of sunlight streaming into the classroom. Krystal was mumbling something under her breath, and Jonghyun presumed that it was the information she needed for the literature test.

“I wonder why you study so hard.”

Krystal looked up from the table she was wiping and turned to look at Jonghyun, who was standing on a chair cleaning the windows on top. She looked down back at the table she was wiping. She cleared before replying, “Because if you’re not the best, then you’re worthless.” Krystal did not expect the words to come out so harshly. She sneaked a glance at Jonghyun, whose muscular back was facing her.

“Really?” He asked. He was not the brightest student around. In fact, apart from literature, he at every single subject he was taught. “’Cos I thought that brains are not everything.” He moved onto the next window pane and wiped it carefully. He was awaiting Krystal’s answer. Jonghyun had always found Krystal interesting. Ever since he found her singing in the music room, he had always been noticing her.

“As of now, brains ARE everything. Without good grades, what college are you gonna go into?” She too, moved onto another table and began wiping it. What Krystal said did make some sense. However, Jonghyun only agreed to her statement to a certain extent. He smirked.

“Worth, what is it really? You may be worthy to the society, but are you worthy of others’ care, concern and friendship, if you always study so hard?” He jumped stepped down from the chair and pushed it to the next window pane. “You don’t have many friends, since you’re always so cold to everyone.” He wrung water out of the towel and resumed his cleaning.

Krystal stopped what she was doing and thought through what Jonghyun said. She knew that she had a rather cold personality. She was trying to change, but it seemed so difficult to her. She was brought up like that; she thought that she’ll succeed in school only if she concentrated on nothing but her studies. Her mother was just like that. She looked up to her mother and did as she was told, but Jonghyun’s words hit straight at her heart.

“You know, I don’t think you want to go through high school without a single fun memory.” Jonghyun hopped off his chair and pushed it back. “To me, I want to grow up thinking “I can’t believe I did that” instead of “I wish I had done that”. Sure you’ll know what I mean.”  Krystal was about to retaliate, before she recalled her days in high school. She realized that she barely did any fun activities, and what Jonghyun said hit her hard.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Krystal heard a gentle voice singing. The melodic voice filled the classroom, accompanying the warmth of the spring afternoon. She turned to look at Jonghyun, who was singing a song. It was a song that she liked, and she had sung it once in the music room when she thought no one was around. Secretly, she loved singing. It was a sort of escape for her. Jonghyun’s voice was unique and filled with emotions. Unknowingly, she closed her eyes and swayed along to Jonghyun’s voice. His voice was slightly higher than an average boy’s, yet it sounded so manly at that moment. Krystal found herself harmonizing with Jonghyun. Their voices matched perfectly, bringing a different atmosphere to the dull classroom.

He ended abruptly and Krystal’s eyes flew open. She turned around and met Jonghyun’s large alluring eyes. She swallowed, feeling nervous out of the blue. He smiled at her, telling her about the time he heard her sing in the music room. Krystal looked away embarrassed. Her ability to sing was something she wanted to keep as a secret.

“You know, you’re worth more than just your brains.” He winked, and Krystal could feel her insides melt. She has never seen this side of Jonghyun before.

‘Maybe,’ she thought as she left the school, watching Jonghyun disappear into the distance. ‘Just maybe.’


Double update! :D

Seriously, School 2013 is so awesome that all my fanfic ideas are inspired from that drama! Okay, I'll make sure there are no more hakgyo references in my next few chapters keke. But School 2013 is a great drama! The last episode was bleahh, but overall it was great! I learned so much from that drama, it's a drama I would recommend to anyone who wants a drama to watch.

My next chapter (Day 8 - Alone) will be once again done by my friend, Brey. She's definitely having way to much fun with this lol. ;)

Thanks for reading~~