Day Six - Mask

20 Day Writing Challenge

Day Six - Mask ft Kris and Lay

Note: Lay's real name, Yixing will be used in this story. 'Cos I like his real name better.

Any form of happiness is temporary, so why try so hard in the first place? Happiness doesn't last, so why live for anything at all?

Kris stretched his long arms as he rose from his bed. He checked his phone and saw that he was early. Slowly he got up from his bed and made his way to the washroom. ‘Just another boring day in this cruel world.’ He thought to himself.

Kris stared at the mirror in front of him and a pair of sad hollow eyes stared back into his. His bangs sat perfectly below his eyebrows, slightly covering his eyes, giving off a mysterious and cold feel. His face was slim, slightly hollow at the cheeks, and his skin was light. He used to be tan, but after years of constantly staying indoors, his complexion brightened up. This was not him. It was his mask that he had grown into over the years. After losing what he called happiness, Kris had become the cold and indifferent man he was today.

Joonmyun ah, I can’t help myself anymore. I can’t take off this mask anymore. Forgive me.

Kris finished washing up and went back to his room. He took off his white plain shirt and threw on a white sweater. He then fit his long legs into his jeans and threw on a long black coat. He was fine with anything he wore. Even with just a plain tank top, jeans and sneakers, Kris would still look like a model down a runway. A ‘clothes hanger’ was what people would call him. That was what you would call me.

After he was done with his outfit, he took his necessities – cell phone, wallet, sunglasses – and threw them in his small backpack. He slung his DSLR camera over his neck and made his way to the studio. On the bus, he checked his phone. The main photographer, Mr. Park, said that there would be two new part time models today for the photo shoot. What made him interested in today’s shooting was that the models were both Chinese. Names were not mentioned but Kris was somewhat eager to find out. Maybe, they’ll help me out.

Upon entering the studio, he felt the warmth of the studio and was instantly relieved. He had not expected Seoul to be this cold at this time of the year. He regretted not wrapping a scarf around his neck and wearing thicker bottoms. Suddenly, he heard someone with a strong Chinese accent speak in Korean.

“Yes, I am Zhang Yixing. This is Lu Han, my friend.” A slim guy with cute dimples said to the main photographer. He had fair skin and small eyes. His hair was already styled and he had smoky eye makeup on. Kris looked at the boy beside him, and was amazed by how cute a teenager could be. The other boy had doe like eyes with an innocent charm. He too had his hair and makeup done.

“How old are you guys?” Mr. Park asked. Kris nodded in Mr. Park’s direction and walked away. He almost choked on his saliva when he heard what the deer like boy said.

“I’m born in 1990. I’m 24 in Korean age this year.” The deer like boy, Lu Han, said sheepishly. “My friend is a year younger than I am.” Kris shook his head. ‘The number of adults who look like teenagers,’ He thought as he set up his camera with the crew. ‘Is too damn high.’

Shooting commenced after about 20 minutes. Despite being first-timers, Yixing and Lu Han performed well. They were shooting for a clothes store that was recently set up in Seoul. Lu Han had this childlike innocence and Kris scoffed. ‘How can there be people like him? It’s impossible to believe that we’re of the same age.’ However, when Yixing came on, Kris was mesmerized. Yixing gave off a very confident feel. His poses were all confident and sharp, even his gazes were intense and even y. Kris finally finished shooting for the two models and called for a break. Yixing broke into a bright smile, showing his dimples. Just a moment ago, he was all confident and gave off a very intense aura. Now, he was being the happy child he is. Kris was envious of Yixing. At least he could take off his mask oh so easily.

After two and a half grueling hours of shooting, it had finally ended. The more experienced models proceeded with their photo shoot and the two part timers went ahead to remove their makeup. Lu Han whispered into Yixing’s ear, “Yeah, that guy who took photos for us. Doesn’t he look scary?”

Yixing took a quick glance at Kris. He was amazed by how someone would have such breathtaking features. His height was magnificent. Yixing wondered who the model here was. “I think he looks really good looking.” He replied honestly. Yixing had noticed how Kris’ eyes were hollow and his face was cold. Yet, he could still see that little flame in those hollow orbs.

Kris was walking around Seoul after work and enjoyed his alone time. He yawned, obviously tired with the day’s activities. Yet, he looked forward to the next meeting with Yixing. Yixing gave off a friendly vibe that reminded him of his dearest friend. It hurts meeting another person like him, yet he was still attracted to Yixing. After a round of walking, Kris headed home to have his beauty sleep.

Kris rose early that Monday morning. It was unusual, but Kris did not care. He continued with his morning routines and grabbed a scarf before leaving the house. He was headed to his university, where he studied photography in. Kris stepped out of the bus and zoomed past his schoolmates. Many avoided him, saying he was some kind of cold-blooded freak. He was on his phone checking the news when someone bumped into him. The duo fell to the ground and stuff was scattered everywhere. Kris groaned and helped pick up the stranger’s belongings before handing it back. Kris looked up at the student’s face and was surprised. The student was Yixing.

“Oh? Hi!” Yixing smiled and helped the taller up. “Looks like we met again!” Yixing chirped happily. It has been quite a long time since Kris had met face to face with someone who had such an optimistic personality. Kris nodded, not saying anything. Yixing asked why Kris was in the school compounds. Kris looked around before replying, “I study here.”

“Really?” Yixing was excited. Kris was his senior, and he was excited. “What are you majoring in?” Yixing was inquisitive, Kris concluded. Just like you. He replied, “Photography.”

Yixing’s eyes brightened up instantly. “I study Applied Music! It’s right beside your block.” Kris nodded slowly. Yixing bore too much resemblance with his late friend who had died of an illness 4 years ago. His chirpiness, his smile, even his way of dressing, it resembled his friend so much. Kris felt a pang of pain in his chest, and yet, he was still happy to have met Yixing. Did you send him to me, Joonmyun?”

Days passed, and the two met frequently. Kris constantly wondered why he had not seen Yixing around the past one year. Then again, he had always avoided people, it was no wonder why. The two began talking and knew more about one another. Kris learned that Yixing was a passionate dancer and he likes composing a lot. Yixing’s passion for music reminded him so much about his deceased friend, Joonmyun. Kris did his best to not get too close to his new friend, for the fear of losing someone dear to him again. Yet, the strong resemblance did not help him.

Yixing also learned that Kris was a model before he became a photographer. Occasionally, Kris would travel out of Seoul to take pictures of the scenery. It would always be beaches, Yixing realized. Kris came over to South Korea 6 years ago because his parents had business here. However, his parents had returned to Vancouver and only visited him twice a year. Yixing could not comprehend Kris’ constant negativity to the people and things around him. He believed that one should live his live to the fullest, since nothing is forever, one should always live in the moment and not bother about anything else.

“If happiness is not forever, why have it to begin with?” Kris asked once when Yixing tagged along with him to a beach in Busan. Yixing retorted, saying that it was because nothing was forever, that one should always stay positive regardless of what comes. Kris was annoyed. That was what you would say as well. He walked in large strides down the beach and took pictures of the sunset. Every time he took a photo of the beautiful sunset, he would be reminded of his friend.

“Kris hyung! Come over here!” Joonmyun cried out. His hair was messy due to the wind, but he still looked angelic nonetheless. Kris jogged over to his friend, a bright smile on his flawless face. It was a feature Joonmyun loved. His smile was brighter than anything else, even his favourite sunsets. “Stand there and be a model!”

“What? You… aish.” Kris stood on the beach with a weird pose and the two laughed. Before Joonmyun could snap a picture of his friend, his vision became blurry. Kris looked over at him with a concerned look, but Joonmyun waved it off, saying that he was okay. His illness was starting to get worse, and he hated it.

“Yah! Hyung! Promise me to always take pictures of the sunset!” He shouted over to his tall friend. At first Kris could not comprehend why his friend said that, he just innocently nodded and continued to spend the remaining time with his friend.

Kris turned to look at Yixing, and was shocked to see Joonmyun smiling at him instead. He blinked hard, and Yixing replaced his friend. ‘So… this little fella, is someone you sent to watch over me?’ He thought as he looked up at the sky. It was a beautiful mixture of red, pink, orange and a hint of purple.

“You know. I think you’ll look really handsome when you smile. I’m sure you’re not cold by nature, I can feel it.” Yixing suddenly said. “Take off that cold mask of yours you giant!” With that, he disappeared down the beach. It was like déjà vu. Joonmyun used to always call Kris a ‘cold giant’ because when he was not smiling, he looked like a cold city man. Kris wanted to relive the moment, but this time with Yixing instead. He was finally able to shed off his mask that protected him from everything, and chased Yixing down the beach.

Then again, you’re right. Live in the moment. That was what you always told me, how could I forget? Thank you Yixing, for coming into my life. I will make sure you’ll stay, I will protect you and not let you disappear from my life.


Sorry for not updating yesterday! I will be updating again tonight with Day 7 - Worth!

I ship Kris and Lay so much I wrote a 4 page of them on Microsoft word. Original idea came from my friend, Brey, and I'm so glad that's she's helping me in this challenge! 너무 너무 너무 너무 너~~무 고마워요 언니! 사랑해♥ *뽀뽀*

Thanks for reading~~♥