Day Five - Mistake

20 Day Writing Challenge

Day Five - Mistake ft Luna and IU (Cameo by Boa Kwon)

Note: Luna's real name is Sunyoung and IU's is Jieun. Their real names will be used throughout this story.

Sunyoung inched slowly towards the school gate. Her shoulders felt heavy, even though her bag only had 3 books and a pencil case inside. She swallowed carefully before checking the time on her baby blue watch. It was 7am. She straightened out her plait skirt and brown uniform. Sunyoung looked up at the blue gray sky and breathed in a breath of morning air. Slowly, she walked towards the school building with much fear. Passing the school carpark, she saw Teacher Kwon’s car and grew more nervous.

Sunyoung slid the door of the teacher’s office open and was somehow surprised to see Teacher Kwon, her form teacher, seated at her work cubicle. She walked carefully and soundlessly towards her teacher and with trembling hands, held up a white smartphone. Teacher Kwon looked up from her sheets of papers and smiled.

“I’m glad you’ve gained enough courage to return it.” She said in her soft voice. Teacher Kwon had slightly brown wavy hair with long dimples at the sides of her rosy lips. Teacher Kwon had a darker shade of skin compared to other teachers since she always exercises out in the sun whenever possible. “I’m proud of you, Sunyoung ah.”

Sunyoung remained silent, eyes showing remorse. Teacher Kwon smiled and held onto both of Sunyoung’s hands. She showed a sincere smile and stood up. She grabbed a chair near her workspace and instructed Sunyoung to sit. She then proceeded to make a cup of tea for the both of them.

“May I ask… why you did it?” Teacher Kwon asked. Sunyoung bit her lips and played with her fingers nervously. “It is wrong to steal. Yet you made this mistake.”

“I was… angry.” She replied a minute after. “I was angry that Jieun ignored me when I needed her most. She was so busy with her new phone and I…” Sunyoung could not continue anymore. She knew how lost and scared Jieun would be if she were to find out about her stolen phone. Sunyoung knew how strict her parents were, and yet she made the mistake. She was worried about Jieun. ‘Was she hit? Was she scolded badly because of my actions? Would she retaliate, or stay still and let her parents lash out on her like before?’ It was all she could think of when she held onto the phone she had stolen.

Teacher Kwon saw a figure standing at the doorway and her smile disappeared immediately. She patted Sunyoung’s head and stood up. The student looked up with her round eyes, as if questioning Teacher Kwon’s actions. She felt someone watching her and turned around. To her horror, it was Jieun. She had heard everything. Sunyoung felt like crying there and then. Teacher Kwon looked at her students and smiled. She left the room and the click-clack of her heels disappeared down the hallway. She knew that as of now, her students felt confused. As teenagers, they look at everything in great detail and seriousness, especially when it came to friendship. She understood that point, hence she allowed them to be together to settle things.

“Ji-Jieun ah…” Sunyoung managed to croak out moments later. Jieun swallowed and inched her way towards her friend. She threw her arms around the shorter and tears rimmed her innocent looking eyes. She placed her chin on Sunyoung’s shoulder, like how she always did whenever they hugged.

“I’m sorry Sunyoung ah…” Jieun started. Sunyoung noticed that Jieun’s voice was lower than usual. “I should’ve known that you were upset, I should’ve…” Jieun was aware of Sunyoung’s moodiness the past few days, but did not talk to her because she was excited about her new toy. Jieun knew that when Sunyoung was moody it meant something serious as the kitten-looking girl is always happy and energetic, yet she was too blinded by her new possession that she did not see to Sunyoung’s problem.

“It was my fault, it was my mistake. I should’ve been by your side. I’m-“ Before Jieun could finish her sentence, Sunyoung cut her.

“I made a mistake too. We’re even now.” She broke from the embrace and wiped her friend’s tears. Jieun broke into her cute smile, revealing her adorable dimples. She nodded and her eyes formed two black curves.

“Friends?”

“Friends.”

With that, the two girls linked arms and walked out of the teacher’s room as if nothing has ever happened. Teacher Kwon leaned against the wall and smiled. ‘Children these days… they take everything seriously as if they're adults and the next moment they’re like little children again.’

She sat down on her seat and saw the phone still on her table. She made a mental note to give it back to Jieun when they have classes later. She chuckled a little before resuming her work.


Apologies for not updating last night, lazy mode was on. *does sorry sorry*

I wanted something short and light hearted. This was once again inspired by School 2013. It's one of the best dramas out there, along with Reply 1997. It makes me feel all emotional because I've been through most of what all the characters have gone through in the drama.

The plot is rather simple. Sunyoung took Jieun's new cell phone (up to you to think what's the model) and Jieun was properly scolded by her parents. And you know the rest. ^^ Chinese New Year is boring for me, no visiting this year since everyone's in Malaysia while I'm here in Singapore with a mountain of homework to do. Still, Happy Chinese New Year to everyone!

Thanks for reading~