scaredy-cat

Snoopy and the Llama

drabble fourteen; scaredy-cat

genre: fluff

 

description: Henry’s scared..of a lot of things.

 

preview:

 

“What?! What is it?!?!”

 

“...Spider.”

 

 


 

 

Amber’s pretty sure the first time she figured out Henry was a wimp was when she was seventeen.

 

She was practicing their new choreography, Henry lazily texting Donghae hyung in the corner, when she suddenly heard him shriek like a banshee, whipping around to find him jumping a foot in the air, scurrying over to the other side of the room.

 

“What?! What is it?!?!” She asks, panicking a little, running over to Henry’s side. Henry looks at her, starting to chuckle nervously. She arches an eyebrow.

 

“Um,” he says, still laughing a little and his lips. “Er...Spider.”

 

Amber deadpans, throwing him a look. “Spider,” she says, trying not to sound too annoyed. “You’re kidding me.”

 

Henry grins, all teeth and bright eyes, managing to look slightly sheepish, though he’s still glancing towards the corner uneasily, and she sighs, walking over to where the big bad spider was.

 

“It’s really big,” he warns, whining slightly because he knows Amber’s bound to about this later, but to his credit, the spider is fairly large, but still smaller than the size of her foot and therefore squash-able.

 

She steps on it, grabs a napkin, wipes its guts off the dance room floor, and throws it away, glaring at Henry in the process.

 

He beams at her.

 

-- -- --

 

“Oh my freaking-- “ Henry bolts, hiding behind Amber, his hands on her shoulders as he peers above her head, while she tries not to step on his foot (on purpose or by accident, it could really work either way) and he purses his lips, smiling innocently at her when she turns to look at him, hands on her hips.

 

“What is it?” she asks a little tiredly, and he just shakes his head, smiling and pretending to act innocent and cute, but the only thing that’s working is the cute part, which still isn’t enough for her to not be a little frustrated with her fool of a best friend. “Henry...”

 

“Bee,” he finally says, rubbing the back of his head. “I...don’t like bees...”

 

Amber rolls her eyes and swats at him, debating how hard she’s allowed to hit him before he stops seeing properly.

 

-- -- --

 

“Amber,” Henry says weakly into the phone. “Can you come with me? Please? Pretty please?”

 

Amber groans, because it’s either something ridiculous or something that she’s going to regret, but she can already imagine him pouting at her and looking dejected if she doesn’t agree.

 

“Fine,” she mumbles. “Where to?”

 

“Hospital,” Henry says, and for once he doesn’t sound a little happier that she agreed. “I have to get a shot...I’ll pick you up in ten.”


 

Henry’s trying to hide it, standing up straight with his chest pushed out a little as he enters the hospital, but his face pales a little and Amber resists the urge to wrap her fingers around his, remembering that they’re in public, and that her sunglasses don’t always do the trick. Of course, if they were caught, it would probably look more like she was pregnant, but--

 

Whatever. Not the point.

 

“Henry, you’ll be fine,” she whispers under her breath, and he glances at her anxiously.

 

“I don’t like shots,” he whines childishly. “They hurt.”

 

“They don’t,” she argues back, but stops when she sees the look on his face. Henry really doesn’t like shots, apparently.

 

He wraps a pinky around hers as the nurse guides them into a small room. It’s nothing special, your typical patient room with the table full of cotton swabs and wooden stick things (Amber never did figure out what they were really called) and whatever else. Henry shifts from one foot to the other.

 

“Hello!” The doctor greets, though his tone drops in confusion when he sees Amber. “Henry...ssi?”

 

Henry waves his hand, smiling as best he can, and the doctor understands immediately. “Not a fan of shots?” he asks sympathetically, and Henry nods mutely. The doctor smiles gently.

 

“It won’t hurt a bit,” he reassures Henry, but judging from the wary look on Henry’s face, he doesn’t believe the doctor at all. He does, however, obediently roll up his sleeve, looking away and keeping his eyes locked on Amber’s. Amber tries not to blush too much, because Henry’s staring at her intently and even if he looks close to trembling, it’s still slightly unnerving.

 

Henry flinches slightly when he feels the needle go through, and it’s the only moment Amber manages to breathe, because he looks away, shutting his eyes until it’s over.

 

“There! All done. Not so bad, right?” The doctor grins, and Henry forces a smile on his face. The doctor lets them go then, and Henry grabs Amber and flees the hospital, because he really can’t stand the place. At all.


 

“You’re so scared of everything, man,” Amber complains as they get in a cab. Henry huffs a little, crossing his arms.

 

“I am not,” he denies, and she shoves his shoulder a little, rolling her eyes.

 

“Yeah you are,” she said. “We’re over twenty now, and you still can’t take a little shot? Come on, dude.” Henry pouts in response.

 

“I’m not--”

 

And then the rain starts, the thunder shocking Henry enough for him to yelp and clutch Amber’s arm despite being in the backseat of a taxi, and Amber just laughs.