The Unfamiliar Word

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As days went by Hyunjoo was still as cold as ever but as usual, the BTOB boys still hung out with her, whether she liked it or not. The boys did their usual thing, eating and talking and they sometimes included her into the conversation but she never replies.

She didn't know why they kept sitting around her. She acted like a rock, not talking or moving. Even though she didn't talk or open up to them, she still liked their presence but never showed it. They all acted happy and cheerful, something she wanted to experience.

There was one person though, who didn't like to be around her. He thought she was close to a mute. He found nothing special about her. That person is Seo Eunkwang. He had been observing Hyunjoo ever since Ilhoon first introduced her to them. He didn't understand why his brother wanted to sit with her. All she did was stare out the window and listen to her mp3 every single day.

One day, Eunkwang had enough of her silent treatment and snapped out of the blue. He turned to Ilhoon. "Why are we still sitting here with her? She doesn't say anything. We're just sitting on the hard floor talking and eating when we can eat in the cafeteria." He looked back at Hyunjoo who was still looking out the window.

"Hyung..." Sungjae warned.

"What? It's true. She's not saying anything at all. It's like she's a ghost so what's the point of sitting here? I actually didn't want to sit here in the first place. It was only because Ilhoon wanted to keep her company, but I'm out. I'm not sitting on the floor anymore." He stood up and left the classroom.

"Wait, hyung!" Being the loyal friend Peniel is, he followed Eunkwang. Peacemaker Sungjae tried to bring them back. Minhyuk, Hyunshik and Changsub chased after the three. Ilhoon stood up, about the leave the classroom but stopped to take a glance at Hyunjoo. She was looking out the window, like she wasn’t aware of what just happened.

"I'll try to convince them." He said, hoping she would hear him. With one last look, Ilhoon ran to get the others.

When he left, she took off her earphones and looked around the empty classroom and sighed. "They left... just like everyone else. Just when I thought they understood me." She scoffed and brought her knees towards her chest, resting her forehead on her knees. She quietly wept. "Umma. Appa. Where are you?"

Hyunjoo seems like a tough girl, but it was just a protective shield to hide her true feelings and tears. She was lonely her whole life, even before the loan sharks tried to ruin her life.

Her parents made her take self defense classes and taekwondo so she could protect herself whenever she needed too. She did unexpectedly well in those classes, and was a fast learner. She was bullied once and she used the knowledge to beat him down for picking on her. She had a two-day suspension for hurting the child in such a violent way.

After that, no one had the guts to go near her. Even the new kids at school got warned by others about her. She was depressed but was taught by her taekwondo instructer that, she must not show any weaknesses in front of her enemy. Everyone in the school was her enemy. That was when she put on her cold front but in front of her parents and the people she loved, she was the sweetest girl they have ever met. Now that her grandmother had passed away and her parent no longer lived with her, she was as lonely as ever.

Meanwhile, Doojoon was passing by the hallway to meet up with Junhyung since he had something to say. He said he had a "surprise" for Hyunjoo. He had no idea what he was talking about but agreed to meet up with him anyways.

He was whistling but stopped when he heard a soft weep coming from his left. Curiously, he tip-toed towards the room he heard it coming from.

He peaked in the window of the class. There was nothing in there, no chairs or tables. Just the sound of a crying girl meaning...

He opened the door and saw a girl against the wall with her head on her knees. "Annoying girl?" She immediately held her breath and stopped crying.

He saw the mp3 player on the ground and knew it was Hyunjoo. He carefully walked over to her, afraid that she'd snap. He sat down beside her. "Hey, what's wrong?" She didn't reply. He just stared at her.

Even though she wasn’t crying at that moment, he heard her outside. He tried to lighten up her mood."Alright, alright. I won't call you annoying girl anymore, okay? Geez. Making all this commotion because I didn't call you by your real name." She didn't respond to his joke.

He sighed, "Don't cry. Crying at school is embarrassing, especially in front of the best looking guy in school." He joked but then softened when she didn’t su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter