First Unofficial Job

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, Doojoon woke up with no sight of Hyunjoo. He sighed. "This girl works too much." The whole day, he had to stay home again. The boys couldn't go out because they were all busy. “I need to find more friends,” he reminded himself. Bored, he went to the ddukbokki store. "One serving here please!" he sat down at a vacant table.

"Coming up!” Doojoon looked around and saw a familiar face. It was the ahjumma Hyunjoo was so friendly to. She was walking towards Doojoon to give him his ddukbokki. "Here you go... Oh! You are one of Hyunjoo's friends!"

"Hello," he nodded. "Is Hyunjoo not coming?" He shook his head. "She was work."

She sighed, "She’s always busy with work. She never has anytime for herself. Weighing school and a full time job is too much for her."

"But, why are you still here?" Doojoon asked. "Isn’t the owner well?"

"I'm afraid not. Her injury is pretty big. Don't tell Hyunjoo I'm still working here, alright? She might throw a fit." Doojoon nodded. "Enjoy!"

After he finished his food, he took a walk around the neighbourhood. Well actually, he just walked around until Hyunjoo would be home. He arrived home and waited not long before Hyunjoo came home. "Hyunjoo!" he greeted. She raised an eyebrow. “Aren’t you acting too happy?”

“I haven't seen you all day!" he whined.

"So? You never see me anyways," she said. "I wake up earlier than you and come home around midnight. I see you about 20 minutes a day, what's so special about today?"

"You work too much. How can you balance everything? That ahjumma was right, you have no time for yourself."

"Wait," she stopped him. "That ahjumma told you about me? Aish!" She held her head in frustration. Doojoon slapped his lips for telling her. "I told you not to talk about me in public!" she yelled. She grabbed her hat from the closet and put it on.

"Wait, where are you going?" Doojoon asked, standing up. Hyunjoo looked back at him. "You have nothing to do right?" Doojoon blinked and in a couple minutes, they were at the ddukbokki shop. "Why am I here?" Doojoon asked.

"You said you didn't have anything to do," she stated. "I want you to go inside, and tell ahjumma to meet me in this alley here. You're going to work today."

"What? I don't want to work!"

"Yah, I bet you don't have anything to do anyways. You should fill in for her so she can rest!" Doojoon thought about it but she didn't wait for his answer. "Okay?" she slapped his back. "Tell her to meet me out here, then I can ask her to work here, paid or not."

"Fine..." he surrendered. He walked out the alley and into the store to do just what he was told to do. In a couple minutes, she came out. "Hyunjoo? Where are you?"

Hyunjoo peeked out the alley. "Ahjumma! Be quiet and come here." She waved her over.

She walked into the alleyway. "Why are we talking here?" she asked.

"Look, I need to tell you something. Don't ever talk about me to strangers."

"But that boy isn't a stranger..."

"There were other people on the store, ahjumma! My name can't be heard by other people; otherwise Doojoon and you will be in danger."

Ahjumma frowned. "What have you gotten yourself into Hyunjoo?"

She shook her head. “It’s just problems I've had since a long time. So I beg you not to do that again."

Ahjumma softened. "Fine."

"And can you do me a favor?"

"what is it?"

"Can you please go home and rest? Doojoon will do everything for you while you're away."

"No, no, Hyunjoo, I can't."

"You gave the job to Ilhoon so you can rest. Working in a store like this is worse than standing in the bakery. Please ahjumma. You need rest and Doojoon needs to be occupied."

Ahjumma considered Hyunjoo's request. "Fine. I'll teach him how to make ddukbokki. When you're all at school, I'll be at the bakery and go home right after Ilhoon comes home. Does that sound fine with you?"

"Thank you." she sighed.

She shook her head. "No, I need to thank you for worrying about me. Sometimes, you’re more considerate than my own daughter. Now go home, I'll take care of Doojoon. He'll finish around midnight."

"Actually, I'll go see how Ilhoon is doing. He's been there the entire day."

"Oh my, I forgot about him. Hurry, okay? And tell him to close early today. He's been

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter