His Gift to Her

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Hyunjoo calmed down, she agreed to go with Doojoon. He wanted to repay her for helping out in the shop. She also wanted to repay him for keeping her cover by agreeing to go out with him. Doojoon skipped down the stairs, excited for the next 3 hours he will spend with Hyunjoo.  He skipped the last step and called Hyunjoo. She walked towards him from the living room. She was already wearing her cap and her face mask was hanging from one ear.

Doojoon frowned, not liking her disguise. "You're going to wear your face mask?"

She nodded and placed the other end on her ear. "Those men were around yesterday so that means they didn't leave town yet."

Doojoon warily nodded. "Yeah... Better safe than sorry."

They headed towards the bus stop towards the city. It was really cold that day - the coldest day of the month and winter hasn’t even started yet. There were people with thick jackets and scarves already. Doojoon looked at Hyunjoo's outerwear. She only wore a pair of worn out shoes which had holes in them, a pair of faded jeans and Doojoon's jacket.

She never went out without it because the days were getting colder and she had no jacket of her own. Of course she wanted to get one, but she has been so busy lately. This time she carried enough money to buy her own jacket since Doojoon's was too big and it didn't block out the wind as much as she wanted it to.

They got the bus and arrived in the city not long after. Not a lot of people were walking around since it was the time of day students would be at school and adults would be at work though there were some students in their uniform skipping school.

Doojoon lead her to a nearby store. They stepped inside the shop that sold all types of different winter gear. Scarves, toques, jackets, gloves, snow pants; everything. "Welcome!" the worker greeted. The two nodded at him. Hyunjoo walked around while Doojoon followed her, also checking out some girls’ jackets. The worker walked up to them. "Are you guys looked for a specific type of jacket?"

Hyunjoo shook her head and continued to browse. The worker bowed and started to head back to the counter but Doojoon stopped him. He wagged his finger for him to get closer and whispered in his ear. "Do you have something light but warm? Enough to withstand... An hour of being outside," Doojoon asked specifically.

"For you?"

He shook his head. "For her. Something that doesn't stand out to the crowd. Uh... Nothing too girly either. She doesn't like those kinds of things."

The worker nodded, "Size?"

"I'm thinking a small. Bring it to me when you find something like that. She doesn't like it when strangers help her with things." The worker was confused but nodded and left anyway.

Doojoon walked back to Hyunjoo. "Why we're you whispering to him?" She asked without looking up from the jackets she was browsing through.

He shrugged, "I told him to get a jacket for me."

She raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. There's no reason you should get jealous. I'm interested in women," he grinned. Hyunjoo rolled her eyes and walked further into the store. The worker came back with a jacket in his hands. "Ooh, that was fast," Doojoon said. He took it from the worker and examined it. It was a black jacket with white details. It was pretty light and long. The material felt rough but on the inside, it was soft.

"The jacket isn't too heavy, even though it covers a part of the thighs. It's not noticeable since many people like to wear dark colors in the bright snow. The material is waterproof but it is also a thermal jacket so her body heat can warm her up," he explained.

Doojoon nodded, impressed with the jacket. He stuck his arm in the sleeve and made a face. "It doesn't feel warm though."

"It's because it's a thermal jacket. It keeps the cold away but it keeps in your body heat so it doesn't have a lot of stuffing inside it. If you want something like that, I can find one."

Doojoon shook his head. "I'll see if she likes this first. We can return and exchange this, right?"

He nodded. "Thirty day guarantee."

Doojoon smiled to himself and walked towards Hyunjoo. "Hyunjoo, look what I found~" Hyunjoo turned around to see Doojoon holding a jacket up for her. She made a face, "That thing?"

"Why not?" Doojoon pouted. "It's really warm."

Hyunjoo turned away. "No thanks. I'll look like an old lady."

He frowned. "Would you rather look like an old lady, or wear something pink and colorful? Try it on."

Hyunjoo didn't say anything and turned away to look at another shelf. Doojoon sighed. He knew she was going to be stubborn. He walked back to the worker. Hyunjoo was looked through many piles of jackets but there were none that caught her eyes. They were too colorful, too thick and heavy, too thin, too short, or not warm enough.

Suddenly, the stores speakers the volume of their radio. The song Trouble Maker was playing loud and clear on the speakers. The worker ran up to her. "Excuse me, you better come see this. It's your friend." Hyunjoo made confused face but followed him anyways. They both ran outside to see Doojoon and a crowd forming aroun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter