Family and Friends

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The week went by quickly. All Hyunjoo did was go to school, go to work and come back to Doojoon's home. For Doojoon on the other hand, it went by slowly. All he did was to to school and come back home with nothing to do. He didn't have a job and couldn't hang out with his friends on weekdays. What made it even longer was waiting for Hyunjoo to come back.

With Hyunjoo as his guest, he would stay up late and wait for her to come back. He would always have food ready for her to eat, too. There was no point in waiting for her to be back to relieve his bordome because there was nothing to talk to her about. All she did was come back, greet Doojoon, eat and lock herself in her room to sleep or do homework. Usually, if Doojoon had nothing to do - which was all the time - he would sleep early.

It was the day midterm marks were handed out and Doojoon did absolutely horrible. He's the son of a rich business couple yet he has horrible grades. His phone rang close to midnight that day and he picked up his phone from the living room couch. He looked at the caller ID and sighed.

"Hello?" he answered.

"It’s me,” his dad answered.

"Why are you calling me so late?" he asked although he knew exactly why his dad was calling him so late in the night.

"Today’s the day your mid terms are out right?" his dad asked.

"It is,” Doojoon confirmed.

"How is it? Is it better or worse?"

"What do you mean? Better or worse from last year, or better or worse from your high school grades?"

"Yoon Doojoon!" he scolded, completely taken aback from his attitude to such a simple question.

"Why do you call whenever my grades are out? Why can't you call because you want to ask your only child how he is doing? Are my grades better than my well being?"

"Doojoon, I want your grades to be high so other people won't make fun of you. I don’t want them to look down on you."

"What? Make fun of me? When did I ever care about that? You're only caring about your image. Without me, there are no grades so you should at least ask about your son!"  He turned it off and threw it on the couch. He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"Family problems?" a voice asked from the doorway.

Doojoon looked up. "Yeah... I guess."

Hyunjoo nodded and walked into the kitchen. Doojoon followed after her. She opened the fridge and took the plate Doojoon prepared for her and placed it in the microwave.

"Aren’t you going to ask?" he asked her.

"Why should I?" She walked to the sink to wash her hands. "I don't like people prying into my business, so why should I do the same to yours?"

Doojoon lightly laughed, "You sure are a unique one."

She shrugged, "Do you want me to ask you about your problems?"

Doojoon nodded. "Yeah, that would be nice. I want to tell you." He opened the microwave and took out the plate when it beeped. He closed the microwave and scooped out warm rice from the rice cooker and placed it on the dish. He picked the dish up and placed it on the dining table for her. When she finished washing her hands, she dried them and opened the drawer to get out her utensils.

S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter