Awkward Pt. 1

And There You Were

This was one of the worst days of Taeyeon’s life. After her traumatic session with Tiffany, Taeyeon remembered the secret of her uality was revealed throughout the entire school today and she had to deal with it. Yuri wanted to talk about what happened with her and Tiffany, but Taeyeon shrugged her away as they arrived late for homeroom.

 

It was just as she imagined. As soon as she stepped foot into the classroom, the entire class became silent as all eyes were fixated on her face. Taeyeon bowed her head in shame as she quickly made her way to the back of the class, Yuri trying her best to keep up.

 

It was the most awkward feeling during her first class. She could feel the stares of her classmates all around her, including her teachers. Sometimes she would catch one of them giving her a dirty look before turning away in disgust. She also could’ve sworn she heard some of the girls behind her whisper the word ‘’. After homeroom ended, Taeyeon immediately jumped from her seat and sprinted into the hallway; she wanted to avoid the kids that tried to approach her.

 

The hallways were the worst of all. Taeyeon continued to keep her eyes glued to the floor, but she knew the entire school was judging her with their hateful glares. She wandered around the hallways and entered her classes just before the bell rang in order to avoid her peers. Eventually her last class finally ended and she was content that she was able to avoid everybody. Taeyeon wasn’t sure how long she could keep this up. Maybe she could ask her mom if she could finish high school through online schooling.

 

Taeyeon had her blue bag slung around her arm and was about to exit the school, until a group of girls stepped in front of her, blocking her way. Taeyeon tried to walk around them, but the girls stepped to the side, continuing to block her path.

 

“Can you move?” Taeyeon asked without making eye contact.

 

Can you move?” The girls all laughed at her meek voice and mocked her with a winy pitch.

 

“You know when I first saw you I didn’t think you were gay. I always thought you looked like a dyke because you couldn’t afford any decent clothes. Well now that the cats out of the bag, I guess you have an excuse to look like a butch monkey don’t you? And by the way, that hair of yours also makes you look trashy,” one of the girls said with a condescending laugh.

 

“You know god already hates you, so why don’t you do us all a favor and just kill yourself. You’ll be doing you and everybody else a favor.”

 

It was all happening again. This was what Taeyeon was dreading. The judgmental mockery of her classmates. Taeyeon’s feet felt wobbly and she tried her best to keep her balance.

 

“What’s wrong ? Wish Kwon Yuri was here to save you? We all know you follow her around hand and foot. She probably felt sorry for you since she lets you sit in her shadow. I bet she’ll cast you away since she knows you’re a sinner. Don’t worry, there’s a special place in hell for things like you.”

 

The girls exploded in laughter as their hurtful words hit Taeyeon like a ton of bricks. Taeyeon was wondering if that were all true. Was she really a bad person for liking girls? Did she really deserve such treatment? All she wanted was a normal life with friends all around her. What had she done in a past life to deserve this? Taeyeon fell to her knees in grief and clutched her tight chest. The girls circled around Taeyeon and continued to laugh.

 

Taeyeon was waiting to get beaten, but a familiar voice was coming to her rescue.

 

“Get away from her you plastic es!”

 

Taeyeon looked through her fringe to see Yuri charging full speed toward her. The girls knew Yuri was more than capable to beat their asses, so they scampered away through the exit. Yuri quickly approached Taeyeon and knelt down to inspect her.

 

“Taeng are you okay? My god, I knew something like this might’ve happened. Look at you. Did they hurt you?”

 

Yuri cupped Taeyeon’s head and closely inspected for any bruises.

 

“I told you to stick close to me. You know I could’ve scared those girls away sooner.”

 

“I don’t always need your help Yuri. I can take care of myself.

 

“On your hands and knees waiting to get your kicked? Yeah you’re taking care of yourself just fine,” Yuri scoffed.

 

Taeyeon stood up abruptly while picking up her bag. Yuri followed suit with a stern look on her face. Taeyeon sighed and showed a small smirk.

 

“Thanks Yuri.”

 

Yuri patted her friend’s shoulder. “I swear. You always make me worried for no reason. I know you can take care of yourself, but you can’t just be helpless with girls like that Taeng. You gotta be assertive.”

 

“I know. I just had a lot on my mind right now. You know, the thing with Tiff-”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t finish her sentence. The memory of the make out session she had this morning was still fresh in her mind. The feeling having come close to through groping and literally feeling sick to her stomach knowing she was kissing Tiffany Hwang was extremely confusing. Taeyeon shook her head to rid of the awkward memory.

 

“Hey Yuri, can we go to your place? I don’t feel like going home right now.” Taeyeon was trying to forget about the incident this morning.

 

“Sure Taeng. We can stop by the convenience store to get some snacks on the way.”

 

Yuri knew her friend was going through a really hard time. She couldn’t even imagine the kind of stress Taeyeon was feeling right now. As a friend, Yuri needed to keep her safe and let Taeyeon know she’ll always be there for her. But was this because they were good friends? Or was it something more? Yuri tried to push those thoughts aside again. Taeyeon was just a really good friend and wanting to stay by their side and to protect them is normal, right?

 

Yuri did her best to keep Taeyeon’s focus on her as they went to the nearby convenience store near their apartment. After they bought a few things, Taeyeon finishing her ice cream before Yuri could open her apartment door, they made way to Yuri’s big tidy room with the large white bed and compact TV. Yuri turned the TV on while Taeyeon went straight to the shelf full of manhwas and mangas.

 

They both relaxed on the bed just like last time as Yuri leaned on the backboard and Taeyeon right next to her reading a manga. The atmosphere was quite peaceful and Taeyeon was actually feeling relaxed. For some reason every time she was with Yuri, it always felt like things were going to be okay.

 

***

 

Time passed by quickly in the young girl’s room as the sun was already setting. Yuri was fixated on her favorite daily drama; two empty bags of chips sat next to her. She didn’t notice, but Taeyeon looked to have fallen asleep while reading one of her books.

 

Wow, she must’ve really been tired. The stress probably wore her out.

 

Yuri slowly slipped the small book out from Taeyeon’s hands and placed it on her bedside table. She was about to go back to her drama, but felt a slight weight on her right shoulder. She turned to see her best friend leaning on her shoulder with her eyes closed, snoring softly. Yuri thought that was precious. She really wanted to take a picture of this cute moment. She tried to reach for her phone without disturbing Taeyeon, but then she heard her friend incoherently mumbling.

 

“…mph…. cute…”

 

Yuri couldn’t hold back a stupid grin. She thought it was cute her friend was talking in her sleep. She reached over and gently moved Taeyeon’s hair so that her cute forehead was showing. This was pretty bold, but Yuri might never have another chance of doing something like this. She gently pressed her index finger in between Taeyeon’s eyes and massaged the spot so that sleeping girl’s face would relax. Yuri could’ve sworn she saw Taeyeon smile in that split second. This was fun, but Yuri didn’t’ want to go overboard so she restrained herself from anymore touching. Yuri tried to focus on her drama, but then she heard Taeyeon muttering again in her sleep.

 

“…I do….I do…..I really love you Hwang…”

 

“WHAT?!” Yuri shrieked at the top of her lungs. Taeyeon jolted up from her sleep and fell to the ground with a hard thud. She rubbed the back of her head and looked up to see her friend’s red face with her eyes wide open.

 

“What happened, Yuri?”

 

Yuri was silent for a few seconds. She stared at Taeyeon as if her friend was trying to pull a joke on her. She leaned in towards Taeyeon and studied her face in order to spot any sign of deceit.

 

“Did you really mean what you said?” Yuri spoke softly.

 

“What are you talking about? Taeyeon asked confused.

 

The now drowsy girl did her best to get to her feet and sat down on the bed while rubbing her forehead. Yuri opened , but closed it again in order to think over her choice of words.

 

“Taeyeon, did you know what you just said?” Yuri leaned forward.

 

“Umm, I don’t know. Why? Did I say something weird?” Taeyeon was getting more confused by the second.

 

“Well, maybe I misheard you but I think you said in your sleep ‘I really love you Hwang.’”

 

Taeyeon didn’t move for a few seconds. She was staring at Yuri, waiting for her to yell ‘gotcha’ and telling her she was just playing a bad joke on her. But Yuri continued to look serious at her and Taeyeon was beginning to panic.

 

“Haha, what are you talking about Yuri? I think you’ve eaten way too many chips. Let me go to your kitchen and get you some-”

 

Yuri grabbed her friend’s slender wrist and pulled her back to the bed.

 

“Yuri what are you doing?” Taeyeon tried to pull away from Yuri’s grip.

 

“This morning…” Yuri loosened her grip on Taeyeon’s wrist, but continued to make eye contact. “You said you were crying because you liked it when Hwang kissed you. Why Taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon tried to play it off with a nervous laugh.

 

“That was nothing Yuri. I was just a little traumatized after Hwang had her way with me. I was probably just out of my mind and spouted out something stupid.” Taeyeon tried to play off this morning as being delusional after the kiss, but Yuri wasn’t buying it.

 

“I heard you say you loved Tiffany Hwang in your sleep. That’s not normal Taeyeon. Why in the hell would you fall in love with some dirty girl who had her ING WAY WITH YOU?!” Yuri screamed at the top of her lungs. Taeyeon flinched back, but Yuri managed to continue to keep her hold on her.

 

“Yuri I swear, I will never like that disgusting gremlin. You probably misheard me because I would never love somebody like Tiffany Hwang. Okay?” Taeyeon tried to convince Yuri. After thinking about it, Yuri finally let go of her friend while taking a long deep breath.

 

“Okay. I’m sorry Taeng. It’s just that the last thing you need is being in a relationship with the same girl who’s trying to ruin your life.”

 

“Trust me Yuri. For as long as I live, I will never fall in love with a girl like Tiffany Hwang. And don’t’ worry. When I find somebody I love, you’ll be the first to know,” Taeyeon reassured while patting Yuri’s knee.

 

“Okay,” Yuri smiled halfheartedly.

 

Yuri turned back to watch her drama while Taeyeon got up to find another book to read. She was hoping to find a nice action manga she hasn’t read yet, but as she was searching she felt a pair of eyes glancing at the back of her head. She quickly turned her head to see Yuri staring at her with a dazed look on her face. As if a switch went off in her brain, Yuri jolted up in her bed and turned her head back to the TV. Taeyeon chuckled to herself. She thought Yuri was being goofy again.

 

When Taeyeon made her way back to the bed with her chosen book, Yuri lowered the volume on the TV while clearing .

 

“So changing the subject, now that I know you’re gay, is there any girls at school that caught your eye?” Yuri asked with a nervous smile.

 

“Haha! Eww Yuri. Do you really want to hear me ramble on about girls? I think that’ll make you feel uncomfortable,” Taeyeon chuckled as she flipped a page in the book.

 

“It won’t bother me, Taeng. You heard me prattle on about guys all the time, so I’m curious about the type of girls you’re into. Don’t worry. You know I’m more open minded than anybody, so tell me who you like?”

 

Taeyeon closed her book shut and turned to Yuri with her eyebrow arched.

 

“Do you really want to know Yuri?”

 

“Oh my god, yes Taeng!” Yuri tried to reassure, but Taeyeon could see that Yuri was acting out of character. Her normal smirk was a twitching grin and her eyes were looking at Taeyeon up and down as if they were an elevator.

 

“Well as you already know, definitely not a girl like Hwang. I prefer girls who are always full of energy. A girl who’s not afraid to walk up to me and become my friend, even if it’s against my will.” Taeyeon giggled like a dork as she thought about it; Yuri laughed with her.

 

“I haven’t seen anybody like that at school, but I want a girl who is actually interested in who I am. Preferably a girl who’s around my height, but they don’t have to be. It would be nice if she showed a little aegyo to me, but not every day. It’ll probably drive me crazy. Oh, and maybe if she liked playing video games and watched movies with me, that would be nice.”

 

Taeyeon stared into space with a stupid grin on her face. Thinking about her imaginary girlfriend was making her feel tingly all over. She tried to think about all the girls she’s ever met that fit that description, but then a familiar face popped into her head. A face that she thought was her soul mate, but turned out to be a hater of gays. A girl she thought she was going to spend the rest of her life with.

 

The memories of seeing Sunny calling her a freak. The excruciating pain she felt in her chest. The chanting that still rung in her ears whenever the moment came back to her.

 

Sunny…

 

“Wow Taeng. That sounds like a really nice girl.”

 

Taeyeon snapped out of her dream world to see Yuri in front of her smiling.

 

“It sounds like you’ve thought about it a lot.”

 

Taeyeon blushed out of embarrassment. She didn’t notice she rambled on and on about her ideal girlfriend; she rubbed the back of her head in shyness. She didn’t notice Yuri scooting over closer to her.

 

“You know a girl like that is nice to have Taeng, but I suggest you start talking to other girls first and get to know them as friends. Once you get to know them, you can ask them out. You never know. You might actually meet a nice girl who’s taller than you or maybe a girl who thinks you’re really special and you just don’t notice it,” Yuri suggested.

 

Taeyeon didn’t notice, but sweat started to appear on Yuri’s forehead and her face was beginning to look a light shade of pink. Yuri slowly inched her hand on top of Taeyeon’s. The innocent girl saw Yuri’s hand and instinctively interlaced her fingers with Yuri’s while grinning.

 

“I’m glad to have a friend like you Yuri,” Taeyeon beamed, a small chin dimple was visible to Yuri.

 

Yuri bit down on her lip as she closed her eyes.

 

She placed one hand behind Taeyeon’s head and the other behind her back. With the hand behind her head, she slowly tucked a few strands of dark blonde hair behind Taeyeon’s ear.

 

“Taeyeon, please forgive me but I need to know. You’re just too beautiful” Yuri whispered seductively.

 

“Yuri? What are you-”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t finish her sentence because the next thing she knew, Yuri pulled her best friend’s face directly onto her lips with a fiery passion. Yuri moaned in a deep and y tone, her hand on Taeyeon’s back slowly sliding down to Taeyeon’s perfectly shaped . Yuri was lost in lust as she pulled Taeyeon towards the bed and roughly kissed her best friend with animal like instincts.

 

Taeyeon on the other hand was rigid from shock. Her eyes were as wide as she could open them and felt like a statue as she felt her best friend kissing her like a grown up. Taeyeon was so afraid. She didn’t know if she should try to stop Yuri or kiss Yuri back.


Part 2 will be updated VERY soon :)