Prologue

And There You Were

 

*pit pat pit pat*
 


The sound could be heard throughout the empty corridors of the airport-like high school. 18 year old Kim Taeyeon was running for her life through the hallways while frantically looking for her locker. The only inhabitants of the building were a few faculty members, Taeyeon, and an angry brunette who wanted nothing more than to catch a certain short blonde.


Gah! All of these lockers look the same! Let’s see…. was it 6192 or 9162? Or was it 1962?

 

It had only been a week since Taeyeon transferred schools. Her mom got a job offer in Seoul, which was good since she was recently laid off from her last one. Within a few days, they packed up their stuff and left Jeonju behind them. Taeyeon was happy her mom finally found a job, but she didn’t want to leave Jeonju at all. Plus she was already in her last year of high school and she wasn’t ready to adjust to a new school in the big city.
 


After many countless attempts of opening random lockers, Taeyeon finally found her locker.
 


Locker 8507… Yeah that’s close enough.
 


As she spun the dial on her combination lock, Taeyeon finally managed to yank the door to her locker open while constantly throwing quick glances behind her back. In a clumsy fashion, Taeyeon did her best to shove all her text books into her cheap light blue backpack while praying that a certain brunette wouldn’t catch up to her.
 


Oh God, please don’t let her catch me, don’t let her catch me! It was an accident! I didn’t mean to…
 


Just when Taeyeon had managed to stuff her last book inside her bag, the person she was dreading slid around the corner at the end of the hallway.
 


“YAH! YOU’RE GONNA GET IT NOW KIM!!!”
 


Once Taeyeon heard the husky roar of her pursuer, she knew she had to get out of there fast. She forcefully slammed her locker door shut before sprinting to the door at the end of the hallway. The angry brunette’s steps were coming closer at an amazing rate and she thought that maybe one last try at reasoning with her might help the situation. But she wasn’t going to stop running.
 


“I’m telling you Hwang! It wasn’t my fault! It was an accident!” Taeyeon yelled as she was closing in on the door.
 


“BULL! I KNEW YOU DID IT ON PURPOSE! NOW JUST STAND STILL WHILE I BEAT SOME SENSE INTO YOU!”
 


With all her might, Taeyeon burst through the school doors and jumped straight over a short flight of stairs. She knew the brunette was about to go through that door and she needed a place to hide. She continued to run around the corner of the school as she wiped the sweat off of her forehead. There didn’t appear to be any sufficient hiding spots until she noticed a big green dumpster next to the wall.
 


Hmm… I don’t know… I mean I could hide there, but what if there are rats in there? I mean, it wouldn’t be the worst hiding place in the world... I could just keep running and -
 


Just as Taeyeon was contemplating about her hiding place, she heard the unmistakable sound of the school doors being thrown aside with a loud bang.
 


“WHERE ARE YOU KIM?!”
 


Without a second of hesitation, Taeyeon quietly opened the dumpster lid and hopped into it with a slight measure of difficulty.
 


Damn my short legs. If they were only a little bit longer, I probably would’ve been home by now and not in a dumpster.
 


Taeyeon shut the lid closed while silently listening for her pursuer. Taeyeon was trying to breathe very slowly so that the stench wouldn’t sting her nostrils. She heard the light footsteps nearing her hiding spot. She automatically tensed up, praying that the scary brunette would just give up on her unstoppable pursuit.
 


Please don’t find me,
Please don’t find me,
Please don’t find me,
Please don’t find me,
Please don’t find me-
 


The sound of footsteps were slowly getting closer and closer. Taeyeon was hugging her backpack as she wished for her precious Dookong to be in her arms.
 


Oooooh, why do bad things always happen to me? I never wanted to leave Jeonju! I never wanted to come to Seoul! All I wanted was to graduate from Dongam High School, go to college, and live happily ever after! Being tormented by Tiffany Hwang was never on my lifelong agenda! Sigh… I wish I could have talked Mom out of taking the job in Seoul. Then maybe my life wouldn’t be such a living hell.
 


As Taeyeon was continuing her self-pitying session, she heard the sound of the dumpster lid opening slowly…

 


Oh no, please no! I didn’t mean it! It wasn't my fault! I wish I can just go back in time and warn myself of her! If only I’d have stayed away from Tiffany Hwang!


Woohoo! Finished the first chapter! It took me awhile to figure out what sounded good and what didn't. I hope this introduction wasn't too bad XP.

Again comments including constructive criticism and advice is always welcome. School is starting tomorrow, so I hope to find time to write the next chapter.

Take care everyone!