chapter twelve

today, tomorrow

a/n  hello everyone! tbh i didn't think people would subscribe to this fic because it's just another very slow-paced story from me. but still, just leaving a short note to say thank you for subscribing, leaving comments and sticking up with this fic! no valid reason as to why i'm slow at updating. since it's 2PM's comeback period, all i want to do is just fangirl and spazz all day long u__u but hey, here's another chapter for y'all! :)

__

 

 


“You want to— what?” Nichkhun stops on his tracks and looks at Wooyoung with slightly shifted eyes, as if in disbelief but unsure of what he just heard. Wooyoung stops, too, and then fidgets just a little from Nichkhun’s almost intense gaze.

“Umm, uhh,” Wooyoung clears his throat and looks away. “You heard me…”

Nichkhun widens his eyes this time. “Why would you want to try those?”

“Umm, because I’ve never tried it before? Oh come on, just once,” he says, showing one finger to emphasize his point. Nichkhun doesn’t look impressed. “Once~” he even tries aegyo-ing his way in this. Nichkhun blinks, awestruck, and then sighs.

“It can’t be good for your health. It’s not good for anyone at all.”

“Oh come on, just one long drag of cigarette and a sip of beer.”

“They don’t taste good at all.”

“So you smoke? And drink?”

“I used to drink a lot with my friends back home. Only smoked once. It was nasty,” Nichkhun scrunches his nose.

“See, even you tried them before!” Wooyoung says, completely ignoring the point Nichkhun was saying and replacing it with his own. “I don’t care, I want to try.”

“But—”

It’s in my wish list,” Wooyoung cuts in, his tone demanding and definitely finalized, like he’d thought about it andknew he was going to get it no matter what. Nichkhun’s uncertainty and confliction show in the way he taps his right foot on the ground and teeth biting on his lower lip, with his hands stuck to the insides of his pockets.

“Okay,” Nichkhun says, eyebrows raised and fingers brushing on his chin. Wooyoung grins and jumps onto Nichkhun.

“Really?”

“No, I mean,” Nichkhun blinks his eyes and puts his hand up, trying to find the right words to say next. “I mean,” he tries again. “Okay, I guess we can put it in the list for now, and then we’ll get back to it again later,” he explains.

“You do know that if it’s in the list, it has to be done, right?”

“I know. I said we’ll get back to it again later,” he repeats. They walk back to the cashier, who passes them their orders and Nichkhun pays. After thanking and greeting her a goodbye, have a nice day!, Nichkhun leaves the shop first. Wooyoung sees the girl blushing at Nichkhun’s smile but steps back and clears when she sees Wooyoung giving her the look.

“Mine!” Wooyoung says and looks away, startling the girl a little. He puts the straw into his mouth and drinks his bubble tea as he follows Nichkhun from behind. Nichkhun chuckles.

“What was that for?”

“What was what for?”

“You and the girl,” Nichkhun grins. Wooyoung drinks his bubble tea noisily in annoyance.

“She was looking at you with hearts in her eyes! I can’t accept that.”

“Why not?”

“Yah, this guy!” Wooyoung hits Nichkhun’s back in disbelief. Nichkhun laughs.

“Oh, you’re jealous? Is that it?” he teases. Wooyoung tries not to pout. Instead, he bites the straw in dissatisfaction and grabs a handful of the back of Nichkhun’s jacket, gripping at them tightly as he follows Nichkhun, as if he’s afraid Nichkhun would run away and he would be left alone, lost on his own.

“Can’t I?” Wooyoung mumbles. He sees Nichkhun smiling behind the straw.

“You’re cute.”

“Nothing cute about it,” Wooyoung refutes.

“You know, when people compliments you, all you have to do is accept it and say thank you.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Maybe if I’m being complimented on something I am actually good at. Like— Like drawing, for instance. If people say I’m good at drawing, maybe I’d gladly and gratefully thank them.”

“You’re good at drawing,” Nichkhun says. Wooyoung clicks his tongue and shakes his head. “What? And where‘s my thank you?”

“That doesn’t count. I’m not even drawing right now,” Wooyoung rolls his eyes.

“But I’ve seen your sketches before and you’re really good!”

“You’re just saying that to be nice.”

“That’s not true. I really like your sketches.”

“Well okay then,” Wooyoung lets go, stopping Nichkhun from his walk too. “I thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart, your Highness,” he bows with one arm over his stomach. Nichkhun only laughs and starts walking again.

“You’re so silly sometimes.”

“I’ll take that one as a compliment.”

Nichkhun’s laughter echoes, and even though he’s saying “Ah, I am so in love with you,” in a really quite voice, itdoesn’t go unnoticed by Wooyoung. Now, he’s being all shy on his own at the back— glad that Nichkhun doesn’t turn around, or else he would have been caught blushing a bright shade of red (his face feels really warm right now). For Nichkhun, he already knows what he wants and what he feels for Wooyoung, therefore he’s not shy at all to show his affection towards him. He does hold back though, cause he doesn’t want to scare Wooyoung or weirded him out, content with taking things slow between them. Wooyoung admires his patience. It’s not that he’s still unsure of his own feelings, because he does know he likes Nichkhun— that’s for sure. With each growing day, he finds himself growing more physically and emotionally attached to Nichkhun, and he thinks that probably already means something to have such comfortable feelings whenever he’s with Nichkhun. It’s way past the stage of liking someone, feeling himself falling deeper and deeper for Nichkhun every each time, to the point that he is quite sure everything‘s morphed into love now. He’s just not sure how to express it properly and fully to Nichkhun.

“Hey, do you want to come over my house?” Nichkhun asks casually. He slows down a little, as if waiting for Wooyoung to catch up, so the latter one does so in a hurry.

“Your house?” Nichkhun nods. “Doing what?”

“You know. Stuff.”

Wooyoung narrows his eyes in suspicion, one hand grabbing the middle of his jacket and pushing them together. “What kind of stuff?

At his tone, Nichkhun turns his head to the side to look at Wooyoung. He chokes on his drink when he sees the expression on Wooyoung’s face and then bursts out laughing.

“What! Not that kind of stuff!”

“Then what kind of stuff?” Wooyoung asks again, still suspicious and still holding on to himself protectively as if Nichkhun might pounce on him anytime.

“I thought you wanted me to teach you to play a song on the piano. I have a piano over at my house. I wasn’t implying on doing anything else, okay? Although…” he trails off, arm draped over Wooyoung’s shoulders and eyebrows wiggled suggestively. “If you wanna do other things, I don’t mind.”

Wooyoung elbows Nichkhun on his side. “Yah, you ert!”

“What? I meant cooking or watching movies, nothing erted about it. What are you thinking about, Wooyoung-ah?” Nichkhun grins teasingly. Wooyoung feels the heat rising up to his face.

“Stop it!” he says, unable to hold back his pout this time. “I hate it when you tease me like that.”

“Really?~”

“Nichkhun!” Wooyoung huffs. “I’m not talking to you anymore!” He pushes Nichkhun and walks faster ahead. Damn that Nichkhun, always the best at bringing out this side of him, Wooyoung thinks. Wooyoung has never been like this with other people aside from his family before, but still Nichkhun was able to break into that shell and bring him out. It’s scary at first, but now it feels nice and comforting to have someone new settling into his life and heart. Wooyoung sighs at this thought, stops and turns around. He presses his lips together, thumb plucking on the clear plastic glass as he throws a contemplative gaze at Nichkhun, who is giving him a bright, knowing smile. Wooyoung sighs again and takes slow steps towards Nichkhun until he gets on his side where he just stands there with his head hung low. Wooyoung stares at Nichkhun’s hand and then slips his own hand there, interlacing their fingers together.

“Oh hello, welcome back,” Nichkhun says, still smiling. Wooyoung glances at Nichkhun and then stares back down on his sneakers.

“Hi,” he mumbles, biting on his straw.

“I thought you weren’t talking to me anymore,” Nichkhun squeezes Wooyoung’s hand and pulls him to walk together with him. “Ah, I guess you’re really not.” He wonders aloud when he was greeted by Wooyoung’s silence.

“I am sad,” Wooyoung says.

“Why are you sad?”

“Because Nichkhun teases me too much.”

“Ahh. You don’t like it when he teases you?”

“Nope.”

“But you know what they say: boys are mean to the girls they like.”

“I’m not even a girl!” Wooyoung protests, trying to pull his hand away from Nichkhun’s but Nichkhun only holds on to it tighter. “And I thought you were supposed to make me fall in love with you, not bully me like this!”

“Okay, I’m sorry,” Nichkhun apologizes sincerely. “Don’t be mad at me. Please. Smile~ It lights up my world like nothing else.”

There’s a really faint trace of smile on Wooyoung’s lips. Damn, he can’t even get mad at Nichkhun for too long anymore. He tries to hold it in, pulling up his chin and arrogantly saying “Then let it basks in the darkness for a while.”

“No, I need you to smile! Okay how do I make you not sad anymore?”

Wooyoung grins. “Come with me to Fei noona’s dinner party.”

“Fei noona?” Nichkhun tilts his head. “Who’s that? You have a noona?”

“She’s a family friend! Noona’s opening up a restaurant around here. You’ll come with me, right?”

“Hmm. Should I? Can I?”

“Please go with meeeee. I want to see you in a suit!”

Nichkhun chuckles. “What? You only want to see me in a suit? Do I have to wear a suit?”

“You don’t have to but I want you to.”

“Is this what your last night’s text was all about?” Nichkhun finally remembers and catches on. “You’ll be wearing a suit too then?”

“I don’t know,” Wooyoung shrugs conspiratorially. “Maybe you should go and find it out yourself.”

“Sneaky.”

“Yes, yes?” Wooyoung urges.

“I’ll go if you agree to come to my house.”

“I’ll go to your house if you agree to come to Fei noona’s dinner party with me.”

“This is going to be a neverending deal, isn’t it?”

Wooyoung giggles. “Let’s just say yes together then. On the count of three. One, two­—”

“Yes!”

Wooyoung jumps a little, happy of Nichkhun’s answer, and out of impulse he presses a kiss on Nichkhun’s cheek. Wooyoung honestly would have felt embarrassed, but then he sees how Nichkhun’s cheeks turn a shade of pink from his sudden action. So he smiles instead, fascinated and proud that he, too, could bring such effect on Nichkhun.

+

Wooyoung and his two little brothers are seated at the dining table, watching the little chaos in the kitchen with curious but amused eyes. Fei is cutting some vegetables at the counter and Minjun is going around the kitchen, uselessly moving things around just in case Fei needed them— while their mom is looking over the ingredients briefly, putting on her earrings and then fixing their dad’s tie and coat.

“You didn’t have to do this, Fei. I know you’re busy with preparations for you restaurant opening,” their mom says apologetically.

“Oh no, not at all!” Fei gives her an assuring smile. “I’ve been wanting to cook them something anyway. It’s been quite a while.”

“Okay boys, be good and listen to your Fei noona,” their dad stands in front of them, waggling his finger at Wooyoung and the twins. They exchange glances, fisted their hands and put them up in the air.

“Ne!”

“You too, Minjun,” he added.

“Whaaa?” Minjun asks, confused. His younger brothers try to stifle their giggles but burst out laughing anyway when Minjun narrows his eyes at them.

“Be good to your hyung too,” their mom gives them a look. She approaches and gives them a kiss on top of their heads, but lingers a little longer when she reaches Wooyoung’s chair. “Eat your meal and take in you meds, okay?” she squeezes Wooyoung’s shoulders. Wooyoung smiles knowingly and pats his hand on hers.

“I will, mom. Don’t worry. I will never refuse anything noona cooks. And Minjun hyung won’t let me go away with not taking my meds anyway. Enjoy your dinner date, okay? Happy anniversary.”

“Thank you,” she presses another kiss on top of Wooyoung’s head. After everyone’s done exchanging words with each other, their parents finally leave the house. Seeing that dinner won’t be ready anytime soon, Jaebeom and Jinyoung runs back upstairs, leaving Wooyoung with Minjun and Fei in the kitchen. Wooyoung pushes the chair and stands up, approaching Fei at the counter and leaning his back against it.

“Can I help?” he asks, stealing a sliced carrot and getting a light hit of disapproval from Fei. She doesn’t stop him from eating though.

“You want to help?”

“Yeah? Can someone amateur like me cook a professional dish?”

“Hmm probably will require a lot of practice and experiment but I don’t see why not,” Fei says. She moves over and passes the knife to Wooyoung. “Start by doing simple task first. Here, chop these for me,” she points at the vegetables with her eyes. “Yah Minjun, how are you doing with the meat over there?”

“What?” Minjun responds distractedly. Even though he has his back faced against Wooyoung and Fei, Wooyoung can tell that his brother is giving full attention and concentration on doing his task. “I’m good, I’m good.”

“Okay I’ll believe you.”

While cutting the vegetables carefully, Wooyoung realizes this is his chance to ask Fei now that Minjun is busy doing something else. He his lips first, glances at Fei and then asks “Noona, can I ask you something?” in a hushed tone.

“Hmm?” Fei closes the lid of the rice cooker and leaves them there to cook. “What is it, Wooyoung-ah?”

“Mm about the opening party…” he trails off. Fei raises her eyebrows up, asking him to continue. “Can I— Is it okay if I bring a friend with me?”

Fei’s lips curl into a smile. “Of course you can! But tell me, is it a girlfriend?” she elbows Wooyoung’s side playfully.

“Actually, no. It’s a guy. A…friend,” he says in an even quieter tone. Fei stares at him in silence and then smiles again. “I see. What’s his name?”

“Hmm. Khun..”

“Yah,” Minjun interrupts, standing in between them both, startling not even Wooyoung but Fei as well.

“Hyung, you scared me!” Wooyoung says, rubbing his hand on his left chest.

“Yeah, what was that for?” Fei crosses her arms. “Is the meat ready yet?”

“Yeah they’re over the sink,” Minjun nods his head to the sink counter. Fei pushes herself off the counter and goes to the sink. “You okay?” Minjun rubs his hand on Wooyoung’s arm worriedly. Wooyoung nods his head, but not without giving him a pout first.

“So you were saying his name is Khun?” Fei inquires. Wooyoung’s not sure if Fei’s looking at him to see him nodding his head as confirmation or not, but he does it anyway. “Will you introduce him to me?”

“Yeah…”

“Hmm,” Minjun eyes Wooyoung in suspicion, his arms crossed on his chest.

Wooyoung dares to lock his gaze on Minjun and asks “What?”

Minjun clicks his tongue and rubs his chin with his fingers. “Something strange is going on with you and Khun.”

“What do you mean?” Wooyoung avoids Minjun’s gaze this time, trying not to let the flush from showing on his pale face. He’s not sure if it works though. He thinks Minjun might have caught it nonetheless.

“What’s up with you and Khun?” Minjun asks again. His tone sounds more concerned and caring, and Wooyoung knows Minjun’s brotherly instinct is on full mode again. Wooyoung sighs.

“Nothing, hyung.” It’s no use lying to Minjun, and Wooyoung doesn’t feel good about not telling Minjun the truth but what is he supposed to say anyway? Would Minjun get mad at him? Hate him? Would Minjun understand?

“You realize you’re going to have to tell me or mom and dad about it sooner or later, right?”

Hearing Minjun’s words, Wooyoung stops all his works altogether and puts the knife down on the chopping board. Wooyoung very well knew he’s going to have to tell his family about him and Nichkhun someday, but being reminded about it doesn’t make him feel good at all. He didn’t think the day would come so soon. He feels a little scared and nervous being confronted by Minjun like this, and right at this moment he just wishes Nichkhun is there with him to help give some strength and courage to face his brother.

“I told you before, I don’t want you to get hurt,” Minjun reminds him. “Don’t get too attached to him.”

“Nichkhun is not going to hurt me,” Wooyoung says defensively, although his voice came out really hushed again. “I know Nichkhun has to leave someday and maybe when that happens, I might cry a little but right now— right now I am happy being with him.”

Silence filled the kitchen and Wooyoung feels the air turning tense with every passing moment. Not even Fei is saying any word and Wooyoung can only assume she’s been listening to their conversation as well. He can’t help the blush from rushing up to his face and the tears from blurring his vision, feeling so small and embarrassed and humiliated under the gazes of the two older people in the kitchen. It feels like Minjun is going to scold him any moment now, going to get mad at Wooyoung and hate him for being such a disgrace to the family. The thought both scares and saddens him because he can never imagine Minjun hating and avoiding him after this because he is so used to being loved and spoiled by his eldest brother. Wooyoung really doesn’t want to lose him.

But then Fei breaks the silence.

“Yah, why are you scaring Wooyoungie?” she says, hitting Minjun’s head very lightly with a wooden spoon.

“Ouch!” Minjun frowns and rubs the stinging part of his head. “What was that for?”

“I said, why are you scaring Wooyoungie?” Fei repeats, putting her hands on her hips and a mock angry expression on her face. Wooyoung sniffles and looks at them with calculating eyes. At least by now, the tense in the room has decreased a little. “That’s not very cool of you,” Fei reprimands playfully. She grabs Wooyoung by his shoulders and leads him to sit on the chair.

“Noona…” Wooyoung looks up to stare at Fei and follows her movement until she bends down to be on eyelevel with him.

“Are you okay?” she smiles, ruffling Wooyoung’s hair. Wooyoung sniffles again and nods his head. Fei turns to look at Minjun. “Nosy old man, tch. Are you jealous Wooyoung has a good relationship with Khun? Are you scared you won’t be his favorite anymore? Is that it?”

“Y-Yah,” Minjun looks away. Then he lets out a loud sigh before slowly approaching Wooyoung on his seat where Fei immediately moves aside to let Minjun get closer to his brother. “Wooyoung-ah,” he calls, dragging a chair and sitting in front of Wooyoung. “Did I really scare you?” Wooyoung admits with a small nod. Minjun sighs again. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to jump it on you like that. I’m just...worried about you and Khun…”

“You’re not...mad?”

“Silly, how can I be mad at you?” Minjun smiles fondly. Wooyoung breathes out a sigh of relief.

“Ahh. I’m glad,” Wooyoung says shakily. He didn’t think he would feel really this glad knowing Minjun’s not mad at him. Guess he was really scared of the thought of losing Minjun. “I thought— I know I would disappoint a lot of people and I know God is probably mad at me but I just— hyung, I can’t have you mad and hating me. Not you.”

“You’re worrying over something so silly. I told you I would never get mad at you, let alone hating you,” Minjun shakes his head. He wraps his arm around Wooyoung’s shoulders and pulls him closer to rest Wooyoung’s face on the crook of his neck.

“God is not mad at you, Wooyoung. He loves us,” Fei says and Wooyoung feels her hand his hair. “He lovesyou. He is forgiving and you will be forgiven. I think God would want you to be happy too.”

“Fei is right,” Minjun decides after a while. “I’m sorry. You’re happy now, that’s all that should matter. You don’t have to think about what may come in the future. There will be a time for that, but not now. It doesn’t have to be now.”

Wooyoung closes his eyes and breathes in deeply. “Thank you,” is all he manages to say. It’s not like he had planned to hide this forever but now that he’s finally told someone (two to be precise) about it, it feels like all the boulders have been lifted up from his shoulders and heart. He feels slightly at peace now knowing that at least Minjun and Fei have his back in this, just like they always have been.

“Nothing funny though, right?”

Wooyoung pulls away to look at Minjun in the eyes. “Huh?”

“I mean— you won’t do anything funny with him right?” Wooyoung widens his eyes when he realizes what Minjun meant, but Fei’s the first one to react again.

“Minjun!” she says, almost squealing, and hits her hand on Minjun’s back. “They’re old enough to handle thisthemselves!”

This only makes Wooyoung’s cheeks burn even more seeing how Minjun and Fei were implying on Wooyoung and Nichkhun doing those kind of things together. They haven’t even shared a proper kiss with each other, let alone to think of doing other stuffs. But, not all relationship has to be that way, right?, Wooyoung wonders. It doesn’t have to be physical intimacy? Or does it? If it does, holding hands should be enough for new couples, right?

“Are we even going to get that far?” Wooyoung asks himself, tilting his head a little as Minjun and Fei entered a heated bickering in the background. Thinking about it again, ever since that night, he and Nichkhun never talk about their relationship and its progress, never really confess anything more than the fact that they like each other and that the feelings are mutual. Since Wooyoung is new in this, he gets that Nichkhun is giving him all the space and time he needed to sort out his feelings properly. Again, he is reminded how he actually feels towards Nichkhun but never really tells him about it yet. Wooyoung is kind of ashamed, too, now that he realizes he never asks what Nichkhun would have wanted in their relationship, would have expected from Wooyoung. “Am I a bad boyfriend?” Wooyoung mutters, and then feels all kind of stupid and funny because he’s getting a weird tingling feeling fluttering around his stomach when he thinks about how he is Nichkhun’s boyfriend and Nichkhun is his.

“Yah, what are you thinking about?” Minjun shatters his thought. “Your face is all red.”

“Huh? Wha—What? Nothing! Nothing!” Wooyoung quickly shakes his head and waves his hands. Unfortunately, he might have appeared even more suspicious by doing so because now Minjun’s narrowing his eyes at Wooyoung.

“You and Khun—”

“Nothing!” Wooyoung cuts in again, abruptly standing up from his seat. “We’ve only kissed once and nothing more!” he blurts out and Minjun and Fei actually look kind of shock with the slip of his tongue.

“Yah, you!”

“I mean— no! Ahh ,” Wooyoung runs to the stairs, leaving a baffled Minjun and a laughing Fei behind. Wooyoung refuses to eat dinner together with them later that night and insists on having his meal alone in his room.

+

Wooyoung tucks his white button up shirt into his khaki pants and looks into the mirror as he fixes the shirt properly and does the buttons on the wrist areas. Once he was done, Wooyoung proceeds to study his reflection with tilted head.

“I look ten years older,” he comments to the person who walks in to his room— who turns out to be Jaebeom. Jaebeom smiles at him.

“You look great, hyung,” he compliments. He takes off the light gray vest from the hanger and puts it on Wooyoung. “Okay, now you look dashing.” Wooyoung rolls his eyes.

“I should have bought new jackets with you guys,” he grumbles.

“But hyung, you look really great! I think you’re going to break a few hearts tonight.”

Wooyoung laughs. “Silly. Whose heart am I gonna break anyway. Hmm, can you get my new sneakers from the closet?” Wooyoung requests as he sits on the edge of his bed and puts his socks on.

“Sure.” Jaebeom opens the closet and takes out Wooyoung’s new white sneakers from the box. “Anyway, mom told me to tell you we’re leaving soon. Are you sure you and Nichkhun hyung don’t want to tag along?”

“Nah, we’re cool. We’re taking a cab there. Is he here yet?” Wooyoung an eyebrow up, slipping his feet into his sneakers. Before Jaebeom can answer, they hear Jinyoung’s shouting for Wooyoung’s name from downstairs.

“I guess he is now,” Jaebeom grins and walks out. Wooyoung hurriedly grabs his long coat and puts it on as he rushes downstairs. He sees his mom passing by the staircase towards the main entrance where the twins are already seen heading out of the house.

“See you there sweetie!” his mom kisses his cheeks and Wooyoung lets her as he straightens his coat and eyes looking straight ahead at the bakery.

“Nichkhun!” Wooyoung greets. Nichkhun turns around and smiles back at him, hands busy working on his necktie. When he gets a little closer, he eyes the outfit Nichkhun is wearing.

“Sorry, I realized I don’t really have a proper suit with me and it‘s already too late to buy a new one,” Nichkhun says, feeling Wooyoung’s eyes on him. “Is this okay?” he refers to his outfit. He’s wearing a white button up shirt like Wooyoung but with a black pants and jacket. It gives off a mature vibe somehow but Wooyoung chuckles when he sees Nichkhun is wearing a pair of sneakers as well and his boyish appeal remains on him.

“It’s fine,” Wooyoung says. Instead of wanting to see Nichkhun in a suit like he said before, he actually just wanted Nichkhun’s company with him more than anything. “Tch, let me do it,” Wooyoung stops Nichkhun when he sees him struggling to knot the necktie.

“I at this,” Nichkhun tells him and lets Wooyoung works on the necktie. “Wait, you know how to do this?”

“Obviously,” Wooyoung boasts. “I used to do this myself when I went to school before,” he reminiscences fondly. Nichkhun only stares at him silently until he’s done. “There. All good,” he straightens it one last time and fixes Nichkhun’s jacket.

“You went to school before?” Nichkhun asks as they both walk out of the bakery. Wooyoung locks the door and Nichkhun waits for him at the side.

“Yeah, for a little while in Busan,” Wooyoung shrugs. “Just a little while before we moved to Seoul.”

“Ahh, I’ve always had the impression that you’ve been home schooled since you were a kid. Seeing how, socially awkward you are,” Nichkhun jokes. Wooyoung pokes his finger on Nichkhun’s side as a retort. They walk to the waiting cab and gets inside, only continuing their conversation after Wooyoung told the driver the address of their destination.

“That’s not completely wrong. I was home schooled since I was little. I told my parents I wanted to go to a real school so they sent me to one during my middle school period. I didn’t know what I was searching for but I guess I just wanted to know how it feels like to be a normal kid for once.”

“Hey, being different is cool.”

Wooyoung gives him a small smile. “You know what I mean. But well, yeah. It wasn’t a bad experience but not so nice either. I didn’t really have friends cause I didn’t know how to make one and I eventually dropped out and moved to Seoul with my family. I want to go to school again though, do you think it’s possible?” he asks, full of uncertainty.

“Of course!” Nichkhun smiles widely at him. “What would you like to major in if you have the chance to go back to school?”

“Umm I don’t know,” Wooyoung scrunches his nose. “Something to do with arts, maybe? Or architecture. Then become an architect like my dad and Minjun hyung. That would be nice,” Wooyoung says, gazing out of the window of the cab.

“It’d be amazing to have you design my house,” Nichkhun says. “Okay, you already have your first client,” Nichkhun reaches for Wooyoung’s hand and shakes it.

Wooyoung chuckles. “What? I’m not even sure I’m qualified to become an architect.” Nichkhun looks at him with gentle eyes and Wooyoung isn’t sure what to make out of it. “Umm, what?”

“It makes me happy to see you talking like this,” Nichkhun says. Wooyoung frowns in confusion.

“What do you mean? Why?”

“You’re thinking and planning of doing something with your life in the future. Instead of accepting what may come to you, now you’re fighting to control how your life goes and set your own fate. And it makes me happy to see you taking these little steps, one at a time.”

Upon hearing Nichkhun’s words, Wooyoung feels a shiver running down his spine when realization dawns on him on how true they were. He’s never thought of his future before— not this far anyway— and this scares him a little. Why is he being like this now? Is this all because of Nichkhun? This guy— just some random stranger who walked in to Wooyoung’s life, became his friend and now becoming more than that— why does he mean so much to Wooyoung? Why and how does Nichkhun bring so many different feelings, wants and effects on him?

“I—” Wooyoung looks at Nichkhun. Nichkhun looks back at him and tilts his head, his fingers tapping lightly against Wooyoung’s knee; distracting him for a few seconds before Wooyoung holds his gaze back at Nichkhun. Wooyoung realizes he‘s probably let Nichkhun in way too much but the thing is, he thinks he doesn’t really regret it, doesn’t really mind it at all. In fact, he‘s grateful and glad that he gave this chance not only to Nichkhun, but to himself as well. “I’m so glad I met you,” he whispers. Nichkhun stops tapping his fingers, his gaze visibly softening as a smile forms on his handsome face. His hand searches for Wooyoung’s and then he gives it a comforting squeeze.

I’m glad I found you,” Nichkhun says. Wooyoung smiles and silently agrees. He’s really glad God sent Nichkhun his way.








Wooyoung expected the place to be full of people, but in reality there’s only a number of special and important guests invited to the event. Fei did not lie when she said she knew a few celebrities because half the guests really are known people from the entertainment industry. A few medias are also seen in the place, taking pictures of the restaurant and people present in the place, and everything feels all too new and glamorous to Wooyoung right now.

“What a star-studded event,” Wooyoung comments. They’re standing by the snack table and Wooyoung’s looking around with wild eyes while trying hard not to get too excited and bring unnecessary attention to himself at the same time. Nichkhun chuckles, pouring drinks for the both of them and passing one of the glasses to Wooyoung. “Thanks,” Wooyoung accepts the glass and drinks. From where he is standing, he can see his family already settling down on their table. The twins are taking pictures of the celebrities they see with their phones and Minjun is seen scolding them for being impolite. Wooyoung smiles and shakes his head, taking another sip of his drink.

“Is this your first time going to events like this?”

Wooyoung nods his head. “Do you always go to this kind of event?” he asks innocently.

“Well,” Nichkhun shrugs and drinks too. “I told you before my family has a business, right?” Wooyoung nods again. “Yeah. It’s a little different but we do have events like this all the time. My parents always insist me to go with them.Learn to be one of us, they said,” Nichkhun scoffs. “I never like going to these events. So formal and boring and too much things involving business. Why can’t I go enjoy a night out with people my age instead?”

“Tsk. Player,” Wooyoung shakes his head in disapproval. He perks up a little when he sees Fei exiting the kitchen and greeting her guests around. Nichkhun follows his train of sight.

“Is that her? Fei noona?”

“Yes,” Wooyoung confirms and together they wait for her to come near to their place. It takes a few minutes but she eventually comes over to the place and notices them. “Noona,” Wooyoung greets.

“Wooyoung! So glad you made it,” she gives a brief hug to Wooyoung. “Did you bring your friend?” she glances at Nichkhun and then back at Wooyoung. “Is this him?”

“Ah yes,” Wooyoung turns to Nichkhun and gives him a look. Nichkhun immediately puts his glass down on the table and dry his hands on his jacket before reaching out one of his hands at Fei. “This is—”

“Nichkhun,” Nichkhun finishes up for Wooyoung. Fei takes his hand in hers and shakes it briefly.

“Fei,” she introduces herself back. “Do I—” she stares hard at Nichkhun, eyes glinted with unsure recognition. “Have we met before?”

Nichkhun blinks his eyes at her, then looks at Wooyoung. He shakes his head in hesitance. “I don’t think so?”

“No, wait. You look very familiar,” she says. She bends one arm and rests her elbow on top of her wrist as she looks at Nichkhun thoughtfully while brushing her fingers on her chin. Wooyoung and Nichkhun give each other a questioning look. “Do you have a brother? A brother named—”

“Fei,” a different voice interrupts their conversation. All three pairs of eyes turn to look at the owner of the voice, surprise mostly replacing the air around all of them now.

“Nichan!”

“Nichan…” Fei and Nichkhun call at the same time. Where Fei is actually happy to see him, Nichkhun seems surprised more than anything else.

“I thought you couldn’t make it!” Fei approaches Nichan and shakes his hand.

“I cleared all my schedules just for you. You’re my favorite chef after all,” he says in his deep voice, English so fluent and intimidating. He smiles at Fei and then flicks his eyes at Nichkhun, and then to Wooyoung. “I see you’ve met my brother.”

“Huh? Brother?” Fei turns around and then a bright smile on her face. “Ah! He is your brother? No wonder he looks familiar! I should have known.”

Nichkhun still looks a little shocked to see his brother there. “K-Khun?” Wooyoung quietly calls for Nichkhun. He immediately snaps out of his thought and gives a faint smile at Wooyoung.

“You came at the right time though! Appetizers are ready. Please have a seat,” Fei informs them. Suddenly, a photographer approaches the scene, looking at Nichan and Nichkhun with interested eyes.

“Aren’t you the Horvejkul brothers?” he asks politely even though Wooyoung can see the excitement in his eyes. “Uh, can you please—” he rudely grabs Nichkhun’s arm and pushes him to Nichan and Fei, urgency clearly seen in his eyes when he realizes other photographers and journalists seem to notice Nichan and Nichkhun too now. Wooyoung awkwardly stands by the side of the table alone as people start to take pictures of Fei with Nichan and Nichkhun. Nichan seems very well composed, like he’s already used to this, while Fei and Nichkhun seems shocked by the sudden attention but (barely) managed to get hold of the situation and smile at the cameras snapping pictures of the three of them.

Wooyoung gets pushed more and more further away from the scene but someone catches him by his shoulders.

“Are you okay?”

“H-Hyung,” Wooyoung swallows as he looks at Minjun. He looks back at Nichkhun but it seems impossible to reach for him for the time being. “Khun…” he slumps his shoulders down, already feeling unhappy that Nichkhun’s not and probably won’t be with him again for the rest of the night. Nichkhun catches his gaze and gives an apologetic look at him. Minjun squeezes his shoulders.

“Come on, let’s go to our seats,” Minjun pulls Wooyoung to walk with him to their table.

“But Khun…” Wooyoung frowns. Minjun sits him down on the chair. Wooyoung refuses to look away from Nichkhun, hoping he’d catch Nichkhun’s eyes again and ask him to sit on the empty seat next to him. The commotion dies down a little as Fei, with the help of her assistants, guide the guests back to their seats. Nichkhun looks like he was about to go to their table and Wooyoung brightens up instantly, only to have his hope shattered down when Nichan grabs on Nichkhun’s wrist and pulls him to walk with him to his table.

“Who is that?” their mom asks an open question. When Wooyoung doesn’t answer, Minjun’s the one who does it for him.

“Seems like a family. A brother maybe?”

“Ah makes sense. Oh my, they’re both very good-looking!” she exclaims quietly. Wooyoung stares at Nichkhun one last time before turning away and looking down at his hands on his lap.

“Hyung…?” Jinyoung rests a hand on Wooyoung’s shoulder and rubs it down his back. Wooyoung looks up at his younger brothers giving him a worried look. “You okay?”

Wooyoung smiles and nods weakly. “Just suddenly feel a little tired.” They give him a smile and then quietly wait for the event to start. Wooyoung feels his phone vibrating and he already knows who it is even before he reaches to fish it out from his pocket.

I’m so sorry.

Wooyoung looks up from his phone and meets with Nichkhun’s gaze. He seems sincerely apologetic and looks like as if he wants to go to Wooyoung, but Nichan is pulling him back from doing so. Even though it’s not Nichkhun’s fault, Wooyoung still feel a little hurt and sulky that Nichkhun’s not here as his company anymore. To make it even worse, Nichkhun’s sitting way too far away from their table. He doesn’t like how unreachable Nichkhun is right now.

It’s okay. We’ll meet and talk again later, right?

Nichkhun’s reply is just a quick and simple yes, and Wooyoung wonders if Nichkhun’s even sure of his own answer or not.