"...nothing should be changed from the three of us."

"Truth or Dare, Jess?"

Stephy and Jinyoung dating.
 

The news spread quickly, it’s like the only topic. I heard a bunch of pot-kettle talked about in the locker before the first bell rang, I guess the whole school knew.

"They will not stop talking about it." Stephy complained, "Everyone in the class teasing me with Jinyoung, as if hoping we kissed in front of the class, it's embarrassing.”

She said so, but her face was flushed. She was beaming all day, and I'm happy for her. To be honest, after the official status of their relationship, I did my best to keep my distance. I think they definitely need time to be alone without me. Everything was new and strange.

"By the way, I didn’t see you at lunch. Where have you been?"

“Um….” I quickly racked my brain for answers. "I went to the library to locate the material duties of Biology."

"Jess, we've gathered the task last week." Stephy looked at me weird, but then her eyes softened. "You're avoiding us, aren't you? I said, nothing should be changed from the three of us."

I know, and I still remember her words at that time. However, before we could talk further, Mrs. Lee, our gym teacher, blew the whistle sign we must march. I hope today isn't a team game. Every time the captain choose  the members of their team, I'm always the last one left.

However, this time Stephy was selected as captain, and the first name mentioned is Jessica. I looked up, saw her smile and reached her hand out to me, waiting for me to come and stand by her side.

I smiled back. Stephy true. Nothing needs to change, especially us. We are not going to change. I took her hand and held it tightly.

***

I was putting books into lockers when Jinyoung find me. He looked cheerful as usual, wearing a dark blue hoodie and dark jeans with big sneakers. He gave a smile, and I smiled back.

“Hai!” He said.

We were not talking to each other since he returned from New York with Stephy. We don't always have a class together, and just often meet during the lunch hour at the usual table I shared with Stephy. I want to talk to him, meet him outside school hours, just to chat as we've ever done, but I controlled myself. I have to suppress this feeling until it disappears by itself.

He stopped next to my locker, patiently waiting until I finished and closed the door. We walked together into the next class.

"After this I have Algebra. You?"

"Art," I replied.

"Lucky you." We both chuckled, but did not find the subject further. "Listen, Jessy, I just want to talk to you, after ..." He coughed once, then continued, "after me and Fany dating, I mean."

I nodded,.decided not to interrupt.

"I just want you to know, don't need to have uncomfortable feeling between us. I like to make friends with you, and I hope we still in that friendship zone forever. Fany also ever mentioned it, but I would like to say direct with you." He said it so sincerely, I believe him.

“I got it.”

Dia terlihat lega. "Great, see you after class?"

I nod, “By the way, I’m happy for you and Stephy.”

I said it quietly, and I'm not sure  Jinyoung will hear in the crowd. But, he heard it, and held up his thumb as an expression of thanks.

The best thing about  friendship is, there is no need to change even when the people in it change. Feelings between us are same, the relationship that we have not changed. At times like this, I'm lucky to have friends like Stephy and Jinyoung.

***