Surprise visit

"Truth or Dare, Jess?"

“I have a secret”

I looked up at Jinyoung who was standing in front of me, his eyes twinkling. This is the first sentence he says once he found me cleaning city parks as part of charity work. I watched as he paused to take a breath, then exhale slowly.

“What secret?” It must be something important, because he's looking for me till here.

“I'm going to make a surprise visit to Stephy in New York." Having said it, Jinyoung awaiting my response impatiently about his genius idea.

Stephy is currently in New York, to visit her father for Thanksgiving as she did every year. At least, as their consent; Stephy lived with her mother in Seoul, then she spend the holidays with his father's new family in New York. Unlike me, Stephy wasn’t  too bothered with her ​​family who are no longer intact. For her  have two families much better than no have family at all.

And, now Jinyoung will visit Stephy in New York. I repeated the words in my mind, trying to digest the meaning. Jinyoung will cover a distance of hundreds of miles to surprise Stephy. It means he likes Stephy, right?

Jinyoung smiled widely, he seems to be very proud with his plans. "What do you think?"

What do I think? "I think it's a good idea"

"I thought so!" Jinyoung waving his hands enthusiastically. "But, she'll love it, right? You think she'll love it?"

I watched Jinyoung speak excitedly with himself. He was very excited, as was impatiently to fly there. Suddenly I felt a little disappointed; strange feeling like I just realized something I knew long ago actually, but never admit.

Jinyoung and Stephy, Yes, they are really match.

“I think she’ll love it,” I said softly, but he didn’t listen, busy asking about Stephy’s father’s adress in New York and what will he do when he got there.

Stephy not only will like it. I know she's gonna love it.

***

I was watching 'Scream 4' when the phone rang. In the middle of the third ring, I picked up the receiver and tucked it between the shoulders and the head as I  grabbed the remote to turn down the TV volume.

“Jess, it’s me.” Stephy's sound disjointed, sounding breathless and noisy.

“Stephy, You're sitting on the roof again, aren’t you?” I guessed.

At the end of sixth grade, Stephy found a small staircase next to a balcony room in New York, which is open to the roof. She often sits there –my own special place, she said, while enjoying the sky in New York.

“How’s Seoul without me?” She asked.

“Boring, of course” I miss Stephy.

She laughed, already guessed the answer. “Jess, guess what,” she said.

“What?”

“You definitely will not believe." Stephy voice sounded again. "Jinyoung was in New York!"

Oh, yes right. Jinyoung was there. He has asked me not to say anything to Stephy, and I did my best to help him make this being the best surprise.

“I just never thought he was here. I mean, who could've guessed, right? But, he just showed up, and finally come to spend Thanksgiving dinner with us. Dad loved him." Stephy started talking about how they met –something about Jinyoung that protect her from the street thugs –and how they spend one day long together.

“You sound really happy,” I say, jealous and grateful at the same time. I don't know, there is a sense that continues stabbing, but I also feel very happy for her.

“I really wish you were here, Jess” Me too, Stephy.

I just want to tell Stephy about a simple Thanksgiving my version at home, but I listened to the noise and Stephy hurriedly ended the conversation. "Eh, Jinyoung called from below. I just can't wait to call you and hear your voice before. Bye, Jess! Happy Thanksgiving. Greetings to your mother and grandmother!"

“Happy Thanksgiving, Stephy.” However, the phone was disconnected.

I looked at the phone for a while, prickling feeling back again. I'm trying to get rid of the way.