The truth about friends

"Truth or Dare, Jess?"

“Jessy? Where are you going?”

I pulled a jacket from my cupboard and stopped to eye contact with Mom. She was sitting on a short wooden chair, she face her white canvas.

I smile cutely at her, “I want to meet Stephy on the beach, Mom. Not going into the night, really”, She nods her head, and continue with her painting.

I pressed the door silently and took the bike, initially moving in a moderate pace, and then I started to speed up the . I particularly liked the sea air in the evening, warm and breezy in summer, cool and calm in winter.

Stephy is already on the beach when I park my bike. As usual, she was wearing a black T-shirt and shorts,and invert arms on her knees as she gazed toward the ocean. I was wearing a jacket and walked toward her.

“Truth or dare?” Stephy ask me when I take a sit beside her.

It's a little game we often do. Initially we just play for fun at the birthday party of Stephy's niece, Amber and create new lies every our turn. Only in the our version, there is one unwritten rule: we have always said honestly.

“Truth”, I anwer without thinking. I rarely choose the dare, contrary to Stephy. I do not like to do silly challenges.

"you think, this semester will be like what?"

I think the answer to this question. Since the beginning of the summer, I get a part time job at a video rental store in the city center. I worked a couple of times a week, and I enjoy the work. When I told to Stephy, she smiled and nodded.

“I feel exactly the same way,” She say, “But I'm pretty sad summer vacation has ended. During the holidays, there is no such thing as waking up in the morning, boring lessons, annoying quiz…”

I giggled. Stephy hated school. For her, school is only a waste of time.

“Honestly, Jess, I can’t wait to grow up,” She complained, lying on the sand, folding her hands under her head. I do the same thing next to her, looking at star-strewn, "I wanna free to do the things I like, travel the world, have a job. Definitely a lot of fun"

"When we grow up, we are not going to split up, right?” I mumbled, imagining I was separated with Stephy. Can not see her smile and cool style. Can not both like this again looking at the sky, playing truth or dare.

“Of course not, Jess” Stephy replied casually, sounding very confident. "You're always with me, Jess. Wherever we go"

I turned. "Seriously?"

He nodded firmly. "Seriously"

"If so, promise me. That we will always be together"

Stephy promised, and I believe her. I aways do.

***

Jinyoung came to the video rental store where I work the next day, after we agreed to be grouped doing historical task.

“Hey.” He was greeting us when he saw me and Stephy at the checkout counter, was sharing a Strawberry ice cream.

Me and Stephy exchanged glances, didn't think he would be here. I got up, treat him as a customer. "Can I help you?"

“I’m searching for both of you,” he said. He take off his baseball hat, showing his sweaty black hair.

“Searching for us?”, Stephy replied from behind the counter, "What happen?"

“I wanted to ask what our plans for the history task”

Stephy cocked an eyebrow, "You've come all this way just to ask us that?"

Jinyoung chuckled a little, but did not look embarrassed. Instead, he sat between us, “Yeah, since this is my 1st semester I’ve been here,  I should get a good value”

"Good value doesn't guarantee anything" Stephy responded, still busy the spoon. "Don't you feel the school is just a formality? Most important is the experience, extramural activities, exercises, live"

Jinyoung looked thoughtful for a moment, "Yeah, can you say so, but without a theoretical basis, we can not prove anything"

They continue to argue about the theory and formalities like two friends who've known each other a long time. Stephy didn't realize I had devoured his favorite ice cream. When finished arguing, Stephy waving the spoon towards Jinyoung and said, "Jess, I like this guy"

In the language of Stephy, that words just like: This guy is cool and I liked it, but not 'like or love' in its true meaning. Usually the guys who do not understand his point will be shocked and embarrassed, but Jinyoung seem at all disturbed. He laughed and replied, "Thanks, i like you too"

"Back to the task. Jess? Do you have any idea?", he said again.

I smiled, "Actually, I have one suggestion, but I'm still not too sure. How about we make a documentary?", I said with a shy smile, "the format is a documentary film, about the life in Seoul and the people in it. Glance seem like a regular tape, but it is actually a real-life project here"

Stephy and Jinyoung nod their heads, looks seriously consider my idea, "We can record the famous places in Seoul in the background," said Stephy. "Or record the activity of the city, showing the sides of which are rarely seen before", said Jinyoung.

I smile widely, "We can bike around the city and experimenting with different scenes.". The three of us each put forward ideas. By the time my shift ended, we've gathered the ideas and determine their respective duties. Stephy help me let go of work attributes and said, impatience in her voice, "So when can we start?"