Falling in love isn't stupid, Steph

"Truth or Dare, Jess?"

“Jess, over here!”

I find Stephy in the middle school cafeteria, she give a short wave so I could see it. She was wearing a pink sweater, my gift for her sixteenth birthday, and wearing black shorts. Jinyoung sat next to her busy scribbling something in his notebook. They are getting close lately, especially since Stephy back from of New York . They arrived at the station together, their faces red with prolonged exposure to sunlight, laughing about something I don’t understand; as if they shared something special, and I'm not part of it.

I put my food tray on the table and see Stephy has divided her  tuna sandwich with Jinyoung.

There's something difficult  explanation about Stephy, as she was kept a secret from me. Jinyoung even so, I saw him cast a glance at me, as if to say something, but he didn't. Occasionally, their arms touching, and both blushed without break the physical contact. It felt strange, yet so obvious how much they like each other.

Honestly, I don’t know how it makes me feel.

I glanced around, I caught sight of Yuri, who is watching us from a distance. Just a second, before she turned back laughing with Yoona and the others, but I clearly recognize her expression –feel pity.

***

After school, we walked down the beach as usual, led the bike and walk slowly while enjoying the cool breeze early winter. Marine always looks darker in the winter. Stephy didn't talk too much and often late in her own mind, which is so unlike her.

Suddenly, she spoke, “Jess, I’m sorry.”

I stop, don’t really understand what she means, “For what?”

Finally, Stephy bring her face up. She sigh, “Lately, I feel very strange. There are many things to tell you, but I don’t know where to start. You know what I mean, right? So, sorry if I seem away from you. I did not mean it”

I know this is the way she says she misses me. I smiled, touched to hear her confession.

“Stephy.” I said quietly, “Is there something else you aren’t tell me?”

Shee didn’t immediately answer. I can see the dilemma in her expression; on the one hand, she seemed to want to spill everything to me, on the other hand she seems to do her best to hold whatever it was she had in mind.

“C’mmon, I’m your bestfriend.” I joked, trying to lighten the mood. "I've ever seen you dance with silly style, also issued candy from the nose." That's right, Stephy've done it and made ​​me swear not to tell anyone.

Small smile appeared on Stephy’s face.

I decided to guess again. "It's about Jinyoung, isn’t it?"

I know, this subject will come up in our conversation. I also know, Stephy and Jinyoung have a special feeling for each other. To be honest, I've felt since the first time we met in history class, from the first moment he pulled up a chair to sit down with us, and their eyes were knit.

I know Stephy's feeling when she asked my opinion about Jinyoung and how she feels rewarded when Jinyoung go to a video rental store carrying Stephy favorite ice cream. And the feeling was more evident from day to day, I can see it from the way they interact, when they laugh as if there were only the two of them, without me in it.

I may be naive, but I can not deny the chemistry between Stephy and Jinyoung. They belong together. And I realized that, more than anything else, what exactly are they still keep their distance. They think of me, and no longer be denied, I'm the one who had been standing between them from the beginning.

“Yeah, Jess, I'm still not sure. I mean, is this even real? Feeling like touching someone, heart rate irregular with a sudden when he is near you ... I've never felt this before, and I just wanted to make sure everything was real before I do something stupid.”

“Falling in love isn’t stupid, Steph.”

This time, Stephy’s expression change, “Falling in love?” She repeat.

I laugh, “Yeah, things that you just described. For someone who smart, today you're really stupid," I teased. She hit my arm playfully, but come chuckled.

“Since when did you become so wise, Jess?"

"I may be stupid, but not that shallow," I replied. "Actually, what are you afraid of?"

She sighed, "I do not know, Jess. I don't want stopped to be friends just because for a moment feeling. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, then away from us.”

“Tell me something. You like Jinyoung, don’t you?” I waited for her response, see Stephy trying to understand the emotions within her, seeking an answer to explain the feelings in her heart. For once, I need an honest answer from her.

After a long pause, Stephy finally replied, "I do."

I smiled even I felt tears welling up in the corners of my eyes. I had to do this for Stephy, and for myself. I had to do it before its too late, before I regret it, before I lose my nerve.

“Stephy. Truth or Dare?”

For a moment she looks confused, but then she understand and answer, “Dare.”

Without releasing the view of her face, I asked her to do something. “Meet Jinyoung, and tell him about your feelings really are.” Please, Stephy. Don’t regret it.

She looked at my face, as if looking for something in me that still made ​​her hesitate, "Are you really okay with this, Jess? Because I will not do it if you're not okay.”

I love Jinyoung, but I love you more, Steph. Always have, always will. That's why I nodded, gave the answer she needed. Stephy took my hand and squeezed it once, then let go and turned away. Initially, she walked with long strides, but then she started to run, so as not to miss a single minute. I looked away, then turn and walk home without looking back again.

***