A Meaty Encounter

When you say 'I love you'

Jaesoo and Eunhae walked to class together. Because people were still getting situated with P.E. clothes and locker arrangements, it had become a free period for those who were already finished with. Jaesoo sat down with Eunhae on the bleachers and looked out at the other lost students. "Kamsahamnida for giving me a tour. Without you, I'd be lost like them." he pointed out towards the bunch of new students. She smiled in return, "aniyo. It's my pleasure. Good thing I saved you!" The two laughed and continued their conversation about life and goals. Afterwards, Jaesoo hesitated for a moment before speaking slowly. "So, you're with.. Seungho hyung?" he asked, faking a smile. Uneasy, Eunhae nodded and looked away. "Ne, we've been together for quite some time," her voice trailing off a little. Jaesoo nodded and bit his bottom lip, looking out at the field of grass. There was an awkward silence between the two for a while until Eunhae decided to get up. "Arasso, come on. Let's leave for some food," she said as if they never encountered the awkwardness. He got up afterwards and smiled, "Sure. I get to pay though." She blinked and shook her head, "Aniyo. You're new here! I'll pay, it's no big deal!" She continued to refuse until he gave in. "Next time, I'm paying." he said sternly before walking beside her, out of the bleachers. Next time? she thought. They walked together towards the line of stores nearby. They walked into a friendly hang out spot called the "Hot Pot" and grabbed a seat.

"This is where people usually go after school hours," she explained, sitting down. Jaesoo took a good look at the place before settling down across from her. He smiled as she offered him a menu. "It seems really nice," he commented. "Ne. You'll start to see familiar faces once you get acquainted with everyone," she nodded. They scanned the menu and ordered once the waiter came by. After he took their menus away, the two sat silently for a moment. "Ah~ there's Sooyoung saeng," she pointed out. Turning around in his seat, he noticed a rather tall girl stuffing her face with ramyun. Laughing, he faced Eunhae again. "She's a friend of yours?" he asked. "Ne, she's my best friend~" she smiled, waving to her friend. "It must be nice having friends," he nodded. Noticing that he didn't have many, she paused before speaking again. "I'll introduce you to some of my friends. They'll like you a lot!" she encouraged with a big smile. He nodded and sipped his water before the food arrived. She waited for him to take his first bite. A little awkward, Jaesoo took his chopsticks and picked up the beef galbi from his plate. Before taking his first bite, he looked up to see the other staring at him intently. "Bwoh?" "Oh! I just want to see your face when you eat it," she replied with a slight laugh. Chuckling, he took a bite and chewed slowly. Patiently waiting, she watched the other and noticed how amazing his jawline was. After swallowing, he looked up at her and smiled. "This is really good!" he exclaimed. "Good! I'm glad~" she smiled, satisfied with his answer.

The two finished eating when Jaesoo noticed Seungho walking in. He stared and froze while his food was midway to his lips. Noticing this, Eunhae blinked and turned around to see her boyfriend getting in line to order. She bit her bottom lip hard, then turned back around, slouching a little. Clearing his throat, Jaesoo looked at her sheepishly. "Is this.. okay?" he asked shyly. She thought about it for a moment then nodded. "I'm sure it'll be fine. Eat more," she said quickly, piling more meat onto his plate. She was slightly nervous and scared, but she didn't want to show it to her new friend. After they finished, Eunhae slowly turned back around to see Seungho walking towards the door. As he pushed the door open, he turned slightly and noticed his girlfriend. "Jagiya," he smiled with a wave. Halting in his tracks, he let go of the door handle and walked towards the table. His eyes slightly widened once he noticed his new classmate sitting across from her. "Oh, Jaesoo saeng. Annyeong," he smiled. Eunhae sensed a weird tone in his voice and sensed that he was only smiling to be polite. She watched Jaesoo smile back awkwardly and gave him an "I'm sorry" look in her eyes. He smiled back at her reassuringly and continued to eat. "You didn't eat your lunch?" Seungho continued, sitting beside her. She shook her head, "aniyo. I got hungry during our free period so I took Jaesoo here." She wasn't necessarily lying, so she seemed a little at ease. "Aish, you should really eat when it's lunch time!" he scolded her. Leaning over, he pecked her cheek and got up. "I got hungry again so I stopped by for something small," he explained, raising the bag in his hands. "I'll let you two eat, ne? See you later, jagiya." She smiled and waved before watching him walk out. Turning back towards Jaesoo, she smiled sheepishly and sunk into her chair. "Mianheyo..." she said quietly, almost a whisper. He responded with a smile and shook his head. "Ani, it's fine!" he lied.

After another awkward silence, they got up to leave. "I think I should go. I have a lot of homework," he nodded as they returned outside. "Whaa? It's a Friday," Eunhae pointed out with a small laugh. Blushing, the other scratched his head. "I like doing homework early," he lied. He didn't feel great about the whole Seungho encounter just a while ago. "Ah.. I see," she sighed, "arasso. I hope you study well!" She flashed him a bright smile and hugged the coat hanging in her hands. "Tomorrow will be the first school mixer of the new year. I hope you can make it!" she reminded him. "I'll see if I can stop by," he said. "I'm actually going to be going somewhere with my family this weekend." "Chincha?" she smiled slightly, "I hope you have fun then!" "Maybe I can come back earlier. We'll see." he replied. "Arasso~ you have my number now. Text me any time!" she waved, going on her way.