Not so fast, Shaolin Killer!

The Shaolin Killer

I woke up in the middle of the night. I was still sleepy so I thought that it's time for work. I looked at the clock, but it was showing 3:30 am. I fumbled behind myself, but the spot was empty. That was weird! Where's Tao?
I went to search him somewhere in the apartment - I guessed that he could be in the kitchen. He wasn't there...Nor in the kitchen, nor in the bathroom, nowhere in the apartment. "Where he could be?" I asked myself.

As I went out from the bathroom I tripped up over the clothes, that Tao had left for washing. "Aish! This is supposed to be left in the washing-machine not on the floor!" I shook my head disapprovingly and I bent down to lift the clothes up. They looked so familiar to me. "That's weird! I have never seen Tao wearing them." I said and I looked at them again. Gee, that was driving me crazy! "I'm sure that I have seen them somewhere!" I put the clothes in the washing-machine. "Should I give him a call?". I declined to the idea to call Tao. I didn't wanted to make him feel pressed or uncomfortable. Plus, I saw his phone on the night-table so if I called him I was going to speak with myself.

I wasn't sleepy at all so I took a book. The problem was that I couldn't stay at one place. "Gee, what a bore! If I don't sleep now, I'm going to pass out at work.". I lied down on the sofa and tried to sleep - there was no use of it! I went to make myself a cup of coffee, I couldn't fall asleep, at least I could take my morning dose caffeine.
It was a little after 4:30 am, and Tao was still missing. "At least he could unpack his stuff!" I murmured when I saw his suitcases in the middle of the room.
I started to take out his clothes and to arrange them in the wardrobe. "Jesus Christ! What was this?!" I pulled my hand back in disgust, after I touched something hairy. I pulled it out and I saw that it was a man-wig. "Blond wig? Why does he need that for?" I laughed. Then I found two more - brown-haired and red-haired. "Really weird..." Why did Tao needed a wig? Not just one, but three? I put them aside and I continued to unpack his stuff. From one of his coats' pocked fell a photo. I was going to pick it up, but then I heard a noise coming from the entrance door and I went to welcome Tao.

"Oh!" he said when he saw me and his expression became shocked, like he had saw a ghost. "You're awake..." he said and left his jacked on the couch.
"I woke up and now I can't fall asleep again. Look!" I pointed at the suitcases. "I started to unpack your stuff."
Tao went in the room with even more shocked expression. Or must I say nervous expression. He saw the photo and picked it up.
"Who's on the photo?" I was curious, since I couldn't see it earlier.
"Friends of mine!" replied Tao and put the photo in his jeans' pocket. Then he looked around and didn't saw that what he was looking for. "Where are my wigs?"
"Here!" I pointed the shelf. "Why do you need those? They kind of freak me out..."
"Um...They were my brother's. That's all I have left from him."
"Just some wigs?" I lifted up my eye-brow. "How sad!"

Tao was acting weird in those few days. He was making a long conversations on the phone and he didn't let me listen to him; he was going out in the middle of the night; plus, his reaction when he saw that I had opened the suitcases...What was wrong with him?

 

The investigation of the Shaolin Killer was continuing. We didn't have much clues, and everything we had lead us to a dead-end street.
"!" yelled Wu Fan and dug his hands into his hair.
We were all really tired and we didn't knew what to do with the Shaolin Killer's case. Plus, the director was pushing us hard all the time. He was saying that if we don't solve the case his reputation will be ruined. What a reputation! Drunk!...I don't want to sound like I hate him or something, but because of his reputation I've turned myself into caffeine-maniac, drinking whole day coffees; Ji A started to take head-pills because of the all-day stands in front of the computer, not to talk about the baggy skin she had below the eyes; Wu Fan was close to nervous breakdown and Yi Xing had problems with his back. Plus, he was complaining all the time that his admirers had left him, because he didn't have time for dates, He was looking really desperate, poor guy.
It was 21:00h. We were all going to our homes.
"Ji A, take Charlene tomorrow and go search all possible video-records from the crime scenes and all places related to the case." Wu Fan passed his hand over his eyes tired and went in his car without waiting for Ji A's response.

I opened the front-door. I was really glad that I was home already. I was so hungry, that I could eat the fridge itself.
"...It looks like the Shaolin Killer will strike again!" I heard Tao talking on the phone. But how he knew when the killer will strike? I made a step backward. Who was in reality Huang Zi Tao? He had told me that he was IT specialist, but I have never seen him work with the computer at home. He never had went out with his co-workers. What if... "No! There's no way!" I said out loud and I immediately covered my mouth with my hands.
Tao turned back fast and widened his eyes. "Y-you...From how long are you standing there?" he asked, as he shut his phone.
"Um...I've just got home!" I smiled.
"And you didn't heard nothing, right?" Tao swung the phone.
"Oh, you have spoken on the phone?" I asked. I had to pretend that I hadn't heard anything from his conversation, especially after I heard the most important part..."Did I interrupted your chat?"
"No..." said Tao with a cold expression and threw the phone on the couch.
"It's not possible that Tao is involved somehow with the Shaolin Killer...Right? He can't even fight! Haha! There's no way!...I'm imagining weird stuff..." I was thinking, as I walked to my bedroom.
"Look out!" yelled Tao and at that time I hit myself in the wall.
"Ouch!" I yelled.
"Are you okay?" Tao laughed. "You should be more careful!"
And then - after the "meeting" with the wall I remembered that tall guy, who was talking on the phone that night. His clothes were the same as Tao's that I put in the washing-machine. Dark hair, the same height...That night, there, ..was it Tao?
"Hey, Charlene do you hear me?" Tao was waving with his hand in front of my face.
"Huh? Yeah!" I smiled and went to the bedroom, as if nothing happened.

I didn't wanted to believe that the man, who I love so much is related to the Shaolin Killer. I wanted everything to be just my weird imagination. It wasn't possible that my Tao is involved with the "dark side", right?
"Oh, for Christ's sake!" I ruffled my hair. "I need an evidence!" I said quietly. I looked around to find Tao's jeans where he put the photo from the other night. "No! I shouldn't do it!" I said when I found the jeans. "But...Just a peek!" I pulled out the photo. "No! It's not possible!" I yelled.
"Charlene? Is everything okay?" I heard Tao, who was in the kitchen. I heard his footsteps toward the bedroom and I put back the photo and the jeans in the wardrobe.
"Yes! Everything's fine!" I replied when Tao entered the room. "I just thought that I had forgotten my phone in the office, but here it is!" A lie! I was lying my boyfriend...But didn't he did the same?...And that photo?...There were Tao, Lee Xiu Min, and Doo Joon's lawyer. What the hell was happening?

 

The disks with video-records were so much! Three boxes with DVD-disks. When we were going to watch them all, for God's sake?!

It was 14:30 and me and Ji A were watching the 21st DVD. Nothing special was coming to our eyes, except the things that we already had known, like - Doo Joon, Xiu Min and the lawyer. They were friends and they were seeing each-other often.

"What time is it?" Ji A asked some hours later.
"18:30" I replied. "Yey! We are going to have movies to watch for tomorrow, too!" I laughed.
"We should get some pop-corns!" laughed Ji A and pressed the "play" button.
"Here!" I pointed. "How hadn't we saw it until right now? Every time when they are together there is one place that is not lighted from the lights and there's somebody there. You see?" I pointed again. "Here he is blond...Here he is re...red-haired..." Wasn't that Tao?
"I'm going to search in the data-base right away! I'm not sure that I'll find something, though...His face can't be seen well. The computer probably is going to search for matches in the data-base until tomorrow...Charlene? Are you listening to me?"
"Huh? Yes! Of course! You are going to search in the data-base...I'm going to the rest-room." I stood up from my place.

"Everything is starting to make sense now!" I said, as I closed the bathroom's door behind me. Tao was going out late in the night; he was making strange conversations on the phone; he knew when the Shaolin Killer is going to kill again; I'm sure that he was the mysterious guy on the video-records...I'm certain! Tao is the Shaolin Killer! But why?...