A new transfer

The Shaolin Killer

I was completely nervous! I hadn't been in China for a very long time, but this wasn't the idea that was making my hair to bristle up. The thing was that I was a transfer in CBI (Chinese Bureau of Investigation). I had so many questions in my head: "What would my team be like?", "Are we going to get along?", "Was there going to be another girl, except me?", "Was I going to cope with the tasks?"...

The airport was completely full with people, which made me even more nervous. I hate places with too many people! It's like they are entering in my private space. So annoying!

"Passport?...Here! ID?...Here! Hand luggage?...Hand luggage?" I looked around for my hand luggage, but it was missing. "Mother!" I yelled with squeaky voice, which I hated so much. "You had forgotten somewhere my hand luggage!"

My mum looked around and she saw it near the place where we stood just a minute ago. She runned up to get it. "I'm sorry, honey! It's just that I'm so excited to see you working in China!" she said, while handing me my backpack. "You know, that I've always insisted on going back to China, but..."

"...my father was against it!" I completed the sentence. "I know that! You are telling me this since I was one year old!"

"Oh, my dear child! I'll miss you so much!" my mother pinched my cheeks.

"Mum!" I yelled. She is always acting like I'm little child. Well I'm not little anymore! Gee, she drives me crazy sometimes!

"The plane for Beijing is going to take off after fifteen minutes. All passengers, please, take your places in the queue for Exit 4. Thank you!"

"I think that's for me!" I inhaled deeply, said bye to my mum and I left for my new life in China.

 

In China:

I knew that, there was going to be someone who is going to wait me at the Chinese airport, but this place, like the airport in New York was filled up with people, that I wasn't sure that I was going to find my way out. I didn't saw anyone hanging a name-plate with my name on it, so I decided to go alone to the CBI department.

"Charlene Choi?" I heard a feminine voice from behind, and a hand touched my shoulder.

I turned back and I saw a nicely-looking girl, wearing coat and a skirt, which was reaching her knees. Her hair was fasten tight on a pony-tail.

"My name is Min Fei Fei, Mr. Ahn's secretary." explained the girl. She accompanied me to take my luggage and then we got on the black SUV, heading straight to CBI's offices.

"Don't be nervous!" she advised me. "Everyone in CBI is really kind. I'm sure that you are going to get on well with your co-workers."

I smiled on one side. I think that for a moment, my facial muscles were out of order. The whole time I was standing with a strange expression. My eyes were going to make a hole in the car, because I didn't look anywhere else, but the floor. The only thing that I was doing was to nod.

"Hello? Miss Choi?" Min Fei Fei waved her hand in front of my face. "Are you OK?"

"Yes, of course!" I nodded again and I tipped my mouth on one side.

"I was just saying that if you have any questions, you can ask! It looks like you didn't heard me." But of course! How can I hear her? This is me! The panic-stricken Charlene Choi! Gee, I'm awful!

"Just one question." I said. "Why the CBI director is Korean?" I was really wondering why. It's more logical to be Chinese, right?

The secretary smiled a bit, with her hand covering . "I knew it! I knew that you are going to ask this! Just like you Mr. Ahn Suk Hwan was transferred from another country to China. From South Korea. Because of his many services to law he was promoted and promoted until he became director of CBI."

I nodded again.

 

The CBI building was really big. Inside of it there were many agents, and each one of them was in a hurry for something. I wondered In which team was I going to be...

We reached the director's office and Fei Fei made a hand gesture to me to go in.

The office was spacious, a bit dark. Director Ahn was in his chair, with his back turned against me. After a while, he turned back which allowed me to see that Mr. Ahn was holding a glass. Whiskey?

"Oh! Miss Choi!" he smiled. His reaction was like he didn't expected to see me.

"Hello!" I bowed. "Please take care of me!"

The director left his glass on the table and picked up the telephone. "Miss Min, please call agent Wu Fan and tell him to come in my office."He hung up. "Please, sit! Don't stay like a tree there!"

With laboured steps I headed to the couch, which was near the director's bureau. I was starring at Mr. Ahn's glass and he saw my weird expression. "Oh, this?" he smilled again. "The Brendy does not harm my job, if it's that what you're thinking about...Besides, I'm not capable of field work." Mr. Ahn stood up, supporting with his hand. I thought that he was drunk. "Will you be so kind, to pass me this?"he pointed at black cane, next to the couch. I fulfilled his wish. Then director Ahn went next to the windows and pulled aside the curtains. In the office enterred light and an atmosphere for life.

"You were calling me, boss?" someone's head popped round the door. The voice was manly and deep-toned.

"Yes. Enter!"

A tall, blond man entered in the office. He was wearing grey jeans and white shirt. It looked like he didn't saw me at all.

"Sit!" director Ahn pointed the empty spot next to me. And then the tall man saw me.

"Oh, sorry!" he laughed. "I didn't saw you! I'm Wu Fan."

"Charlene Choi." I replied. And how was I supposed to feel after his words? He didn't saw me...What am I? A bug? A fly? Air?

"From this moment she is working in your team." director Ahn returned to his seat and opened some documents. Info for me. "First place in wing chun and second place in muai-tai. Are you killing machine, miss Choi?" He smiled, but after a few seconds his smile disappeared. "I deliver you into the charge of this mister there." Mr. Ahn pointed at Wu Fan. "The relationships between co-workers are forbidden!" he tried to look serious, but the right angle of his mouth winced in attempt to smile.

"Boss!" said Wu Fan shocked by the words from his boss. Our boss.

"Of course, mister!" I said with the most serious voice I had. "I don't have intention to fall in love with a co-worker, even with someone who works for the justice." Ah! Fool! Why did I said that?

The director laughed. "Great then! I hope you'll make a great team. You're free to go!" Mr. Ahn took his glass and turned his back against us.

"Come meet the others from the team!" said with a serious expression Wu Fan.

Why was he acting like that? What's his problem?

 

I met my future colleagues. Oh...My present colleagues! They all seemed like really great and kind persons. Despite of that Yi Xing almost took my clothes off with his endless "" stare, and Ji A jumped on me with a "bear" hug, like we were friends for many years now. As for Wu Fan - he was grumpy all the time. I think he needs a girl, to bring light in his boring life.

It's going to be so fun working with them! I can't wait!

 

"This was only my first week here!" I said to myself after four days. "I'm sure that the best is yet to come!"