Chapter 1

Close to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Early in the morning… 5:30 am

 

Seohyun woke up on her usual routine. She went on a particular room in the dojo where her grandpa is waiting for her. She went to get her shinai and pony-tailed her hair.

 

Every morning before going to school, she’s practicing kendo. Her grandpa is very strict in terms of time and during training. Most of the time, he would always prefer her to wear a kimono and hakama over it. Seohyun trains everyday for an hour and she’s already used to it every morning since she was eight years old.

 

She’s a total different person when she’s in training and when she socializes with other people. With regards to her grandpa, highest respect is given to him. Ever since her parents died in a car accident at the age of two, her grandpa was the only relative she had known.

 

After her training, she rested for a while then started preparing for school.

 

“Harabeoji, I’ll go ahead.” She bowed before her grandpa then grabbed her lunchbox.

 

“Have a good day my child. Be careful on your way.” He responded to her then she finally left the dojo.

 

Seohyun reached school and walked towards her homeroom. She’s already in senior year and she’s planning to go to Seoul University for college.

 

“Taeyeonnie!” she called as she saw her friend standing outside and looking out the window.

 

“Oh Seohyun-ah.” She greeted with a smile and went towards her. Then something popped out in her mind. “Ya~! It will be your 18th birthday tomorrow. Advance happy birthday chingu-yah~!”

 

Seohyun became anxious. “Shhhh. I don’t want everyone to know about it.”

 

Her friend crossed her arms and sighed in disbelief. “What do you mean? I think everyone knows about you. Besides, you excel both in class and in archery plus you got a pretty face like me. Haha!” she laughed hysterically.

 

“Cut it out. I have some flaws too you know. Unlike you, you’re really confident in front of the crowd especially when you’re singing. I don’t have that confidence when I’m in a competition.” Seohyun uttered in a low tone.

 

“Geez. Don’t be like that.” She said with encouragement then puts her arm around Seohyun’s neck.

 

“That Minhyuk is hitting another girl again.” Taeyeon said with irritation as she caught him again. “Karma should go back fast for him to learn. Hmph.”

 

Minhyuk is the school’s playboy. Almost every week he gets a new girlfriend. For Taeyeon, he’s such a jerk.

 

“Uhm…Aren’t you one of his victims?”Seohyun asked bluntly. Her friend looked at him with a surprised look.

 

She cleared and fixed her clothes. “Well…almost. I-I think we better take our seats before the bell rings.” Taeyeon dragged Seohyun towards their classroom as they both took their seats beside each other.

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

After class, Seohyun went to the archery club while Taeyeon went to chorale practice.

 

She went to the field and saw some of her teammates who were already starting to practice.

 

“Seohyun-ah.” Someone pat her shoulder from behind and she immediately turns her head to see who it was.

 

It was Chansung. He had been Seohyun’s childhood friend and he’s been into Taekwondo and he’s a sixth dan black belter.

 

“Wah, Chansung-sshi, what happened to your face?” She pointed his face in shock. He had a bruise near his mouth.

 

“Oh.” He touched the bruise and smirked. “Minhyuk and I had sparring yesterday. And…you know what happens during sparring, right?”

 

“Uhh…yeah. But be careful, okay? Anyway, I need to go practice now or coach would get mad. See you later.” Seohyun said and waved goodbye to him.

 

She immediately changed her clothes inside the locker room and got her recurve bow then returned to the field.

 

“Okay. Okay.”  Someone clapped and it got all their attention. “Double time players. Interschool competition is approaching. You better give it your all during practice and train seriously, am I clear?”

 

“YES Sir~~!!” the players replied. The archery club is composed of 15 players, meticulously chosen by the coach himself.  And Seohyun is one of them but she was recruited just this year.

 

‘I should practice more and prove myself worthy to compete.’ Seohyun said to herself. Since she’s new, she’s still not qualified to join for the upcoming competition but she’s not losing hope. She thought that maybe their coach could see a potential from her to compete.

 

 “Out of my way, newbie.” Someone pushed her and it almost made her fall. “Why are you on my area?” she said with irritation.

 

“Sorry, Sunny. I didn’t have any intention on taking over your area.” Seohyun said apologetically and went to another area.

 

“Joo Hyeon-sshi, where are you heading?” Surprisingly, their coach was on her way.

 

“Uhm, I’m going to another area, sir.”

 

Their coach nodded. “Alright. Hmmm, practice beside Tiffany. You know that she’ll be participating on the upcoming competition. Maybe you can learn some things from her.”

 

He guided her towards Tiffany. Their coach talked to Tiffany for a minute before he left. Tiffany observed her for a while and went to her.

 

“Come on. You want to join in the competition, right?” Tiffany said.

 

“Yeah. But I don’t know if coach will allow me. Besides, I’m still a newbie.”

 

“You know it doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced player or a newbie as long as you put your heart on what you do then you’ll definitely succeed.”

 

‘Wow. She’s so nice and humble even though she’s the ace player. No wonder everyone admires her.’ Seohyun thought.

 

After that, Tiffany gave her some tips as they practiced.

 

 

------------------------------------------------

 

 

That night, Seohyun had dinner with her grandpa at the dojo.

 

“Ah, time flies so fast. Tomorrow, you’re alrea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter