My New Character?

Fairytales Are Not Real

“Sir, please rest,” Yoon Ji whispered, “We’ll wake you up tomorrow.” I shook my head, “I’ll wait until Key is up.”

“Sorry, but it seems like he might be awake until tomorrow morning,” Jonghyun replied, “He’s been beaten up badly. So he’ll regain consciousness tomorrow.” I sighed and looked at Key, remembering that I knocked out before him, “Okay…”

“By the way, what is your name?” Yoon Ji asked. I looked at her and my eyes fell a bit heavy, “Lee Jinki,” I replied. I paused and the more I blink, the more heavy my eyes get, the sleepier I get, “I’m also known as Onew,” I took one more blink and I went to a deep sleep.

“Onew…a unique name,” was the last thing I heard from that day.

While I was sleeping, I thought that I would be back home—maybe just the hospital. But as expected—this dream turned to be unending.

The next morning, I woke up from the sun shining on my eyes. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, my back against the backboard. I looked to the side to see if Key was there. I rubbed my eyes again and my eyes were correct—Key isn’t there. I stood up and my head felt dizzy. I held my head with my hands and closed my eyes, trying to get used to the action.

I walked towards the door and as I was about to open it, the door flung open, showing Jonghyun, “Whoa—you’re up,” He said, “Hi Onew!”

“Where’s Key?” I asked as I looked over his shoulder. “He’s getting ready,” He replied. “For what?” I questioned. “School!” He smiled.

“He graduated,” I replied as I grew suspicious, “What’s going on?” Jonghyun let out a little laugh and sat down on my bed, “Since you’re in this book, you’re not your real age. This may be confusing to you.”

“Yes—it actually is,” I replied as I leaned my back against the wall. “I’m an original character in this book so I’m 20. How old are you?”

“20,” I replied, “I’m late born so technically I’m supposed to be 21.” Jonghyun nodded, “So you’re my hyung in real life,” He paused and smiled, “But your dongsaeng in book life.”

“What?!” I shouted, “What’s the difference between book life and real life?!” Jonghyun stood up and grinned, “You have unlimited things to do in book life.”

“Unlimited…” I said to myself, “Like flying?” He nodded.

“Driving underage?”

Nod.

“BUILDING A TIME MACHINE?!”

Nod.

“Making a sandwich out of yucky stuff and it’s still good?!”

“That’s—pretty weird,” Jonghyun whispered, “Anyways—you’re 18 in this book life. So you’re still a third year in high school.”

“18? Wow…a lot of things happened when I was 18 in real life,” I smiled. “Well, get ready to relive them—but in a fun way,” Jonghyun smiled, “C’mon! Let’s go to your dorm!”

“Dorm? What is this place?” I asked. “Seoul Academy. It’s a private school, so that means there are dorms and rich people,” He smiled. “I’m not rich,” I whispered. Jonghyun shook his head, “But you are in this book.”

I pursed my lips, “I think I’m getting the hang of this…”

Jonghyun and I both walked out of the place I was at—it’s known as the Nursery. Our walk didn’t take long because next to the nursery was the boy’s dorm. Apparently there are three nurseries. One for the boys, one for the girls, and another one in the classroom building since it would be long to walk towards a nursery.

We got to the dorm and as Jonghyun opened the door it revealed Taemin, Minho, and Key. “This is your dorm. It holds four to five people in each room,” Jonghyun smiled. The room was pretty spacious, the light brown walls, the two windows, two bunk beds, and a middle bed between the bunk beds, seemed very nice and relaxing.

“Hyung!” Key smiled, “Isn’t this awesome?! We’re in a book! Minho explained everything to me!” I nodded, “I still can’t believe though—doesn’t this feel real? We’re dreaming…”

“Yeah, it feels real—but it’s cool!” Key smiled. He really shows his kid at heart…that reminds me! “So in book life—you’re 16?”

“Yup! I’m Taemin’s age!” Key smiled. “Even though you are a dongsaeng in this book life—you’re still my hyung—so I’m addressing you as my hyung,” Minho smiled. “Aww…” Key sighed.

“This is your new character Onew...Are you ready?” Jonghyun asked. “I think so,” I whispered. “With your new character, you can have a different personality…we’ll do whatever it takes for you to believe in fairytales,” Taemin smiled.

I looked at each four of them. I gulped and I nodded, “Okay…” Minho smiled, “Let’s change into our uniforms and let’s go to school!”

“We have to hurry though…my cousin is giving breakfast!” Jonghyun smiled. “You mean Chun Hei? Her cooking skills are awesome!” Minho excitingly replied.

I sighed and pursed my lips. Fairytales aren’t real…remember that Onew!

I, Lee Jinki, will not believe in fairytales even if they make me believe in them!