Fairytales? Hate Them!

Fairytales Are Not Real

“I never believed in fairy tales and never will,” I stated in a confident tone, “If you believe in fairy tales you will be too imaginative.” He nodded, “So that is why I never believe in fairytales!”

“You’re mean!” A little girl pouted as she kicked my leg and ran off to her mother, “Mommy! A man was being mean to me!”

I sighed as I watched her mother grab her daughter’s hand, “Don’t worry child.  Mommy believes in fairytales—that man is just dumb and loveless.” The two strolled away and I puffed out air.  I never believed in fairytales…That’s my motto! Okay…maybe not.  But still, fairytales aren’t just me.  I don’t believe in stories like—the one with the three pigs and wolf, or that girl with the red cape and the wolf, or the one where—wait, those are stories with morals.  I mean fairytales like the one with the glass slipper or seven dwarfs or the one where the lady falls in a deep sleep or the one with the long hair—you get the point right?  None of those will come true! NEVER!

I was at the park where I felt the cold breeze against me—even though its summer, it still gets cold from the rainy weather.  I sat down on the cold green metal bench and covered my hands in my coat pockets.  I glanced at the kids who were playing around and saw a girl with a wand in her hands.  I guess she was playing as a princess.

“Hyung!” A familiar voice called as I turned my head towards the left to see my good friend Kim Kibum, also known as Key.  He waved at me and sat down beside me, “So, what is Onew doing here?”

“Just—cruising,” I casually replied.  Key looked at me with a suspicious face and shook his head, “Did you tell a child you didn’t believe in fairytales again?!” I turned my head to the side and tried to hide my embarrassing face.

“Hyung, you gotta stop that!” Key replied, “Even though kids accidentally run up to you and ask if you can be a bodyguard or whatever, doesn’t mean you have to ruin their dreams!”

I nodded with a blah look on my face since he kept telling me about this over and over again.  “Hey, one day you’ll believe in fairytales.  For example, maybe you have a girlfriend…that’s a fairytale—a dream come true, right?”

I nodded again as he said this quote again, “Yes yes, I know.” Gosh—sometimes he acts like my hyung.  “Can we change topics?”

“Sure!” Key smiled, “Let’s see if there’s ice cream—I’m begging for some!” He stood up and looked around.  I stood up and puffed out air, “Do you have money?” He turned his head to the side, “Y-yeah…”

“Key,” I said with a serious tone.  “No…” He sighed and looked at me, “You’ll be a good hyung—right?!” I twitched and nodded, “Fine. After that, we’re buying chicken!” I smiled. 

As we were walking along the path, we caught up to some men who were surrounding an innocent woman.  “Hey, wanna come with us?” One of them smiled. “N-no…n-no thank you,” The woman whispered. She seemed more like a young adult though—maybe even a teenager.  “C’mon, we’ll be real good to you,” Another one smirked.

“Yeah right,” She muttered.  Key looked at me then at the group, “HEY!” He shouted as he walked over to them.  “Key!” I shouted as I followed him.  “Look here guys, a stick and its mommy!” A guy laughed.  “Hey, shut up!” Key shouted, “Get away from her!”

“What will make us?” The fourth guy smirked as he got closer to us.  I gulped and took one step back. Key grabbed something out of his coat pocket and shouted, “YAH!” He sprayed—pepper spray? Ahh, good idea though.

The pepper spray went in the guy’s eyes and he shouted in pain and he covered his eyes and went towards the water fountain.  “Who else wants?!” He shouted as he threatened them with the pepper spray.  A guy chuckled and slapped the pepper spray out of Key’s hands.  Key shook his head, “Fine—go with the hard way,” He smirked as he fisted his hands and punched one of the guy’s noses.  His punch was pretty hard because the nose started bleeding.  I pursed my lips seeing that Key was in somewhat trouble.  I decided to get in and started punching one of the guy’s stomachs.  While Key and I were winning this fight, one of the guys punched my stomach and kicked my legs, making me fall.  Another guy started kicking me on the back and sides.  Key was still stable and kept punching but the guy that was immersed in pepper spray came back and kicked his legs and as Key fell he started getting kicked like me.

My eye vision was worsening and I saw the girl grab her cell phone out and calling the police, “SOMEONE! HELP!” She ran away and I could hear her screaming voice, “Two men tried saving me from four men and now they’re getting hurt! Someone help! I’m at the Seoul Park! HELP!”

As I saw the woman run, my vision became worse.  I turned to Key and saw him hiss in pain while the guys were kicking him.  I started hissing in pain as I was being kicked.  Suddenly, my eyes closed and everything else was a blur.

---

“Is he okay?” An unfamiliar voice asked.  I slowly opened my eyes, revealing a girl with caramel brown medium length hair, deep brown eyes, soft but small pink lips, a cute button nose, and a slim body.  And wow was she beautiful.   I looked around to see about 4 people surrounding me.  “Hello, are you okay?” A boy who had an athletic  build, brown eyes, brown hair which is pretty long for a guy, and a nice smile.  I nodded and sat up, “Where is—where is Key?” I asked while rubbing my head.  Two people on the right moved, showing another bed showing another bed.  I looked closely to see Key lying down, “He’s sleeping—right?”

“Yup, he’s sleeping,” A boy with a nice complexion, black hair, and brown eyes replied, “Anyways, I’m Kim Jonghyun!”

“I’m Choi Minho,” The boy who talked to me earlier replied.  “I’m Lee Taemin,” Another boy who looked very young said.

“And I’m Choi Yoon Ji,” The girl smiled.  I looked out the window to see the moon, “It’s already night? I thought it was morning…Did I knock out that bad?”

“Um…yeah,” Yoon Ji smiled.  “So, where am I?” I asked. “You’re in—Busan,” Minho whispered.  “Busan? I’ve been here before!” I replied.

“Yah—Minho—just tell him EXACTLY where we are,” Jonghyun whispered.  Minho sighed and puffed air out, “You’re in a book.”

“Book? What?” I was confused.  Yoon Ji looked at me, “You knocked out right? I suppose for a fight.” I nodded.  “Sometimes when people knock out they have dreams…that’s what you’re kind of in—a dream,” Taemin whispered.

“But—you said a book—what do you mean a book?!” I started hyperventilating, not knowing what a thing is going on.  “Let’s get this straight—you don’t believe in fairytales right?” Jonghyun asked.  I nodded.

“Since you don’t believe in fairytales—you’re in this book!” He shouted.  He paused and took a deep breath, “You’re here because you don’t believe in fairytales.  You’re in this book because you were meant to be here.  That’s all I can say.”

“But Key believes in fairytales,” I whispered.  “He’s here because he’s the closest person with you.  Your family is close to you…but Key is closer to you,” Yoon Ji replied. 

This better be a dream!