Chapter 6

Unwanted Silence

My head feels heavy and my eyes feel sore. I guess that’s what happens when I decide to cry all night and it seemed like no matter what I tried to tell myself I just couldn’t make myself stop crying. I’m so happy that it’s Saturday though, because that means I don’t have school and I could just lay in bed all day. At least that’s what I thought until I felt the covers being pulled off of my head and saw Soohyun hyung standing in front of me.

            I really didn’t want to talk to him right now because one, I knew that he would be able to tell that I was crying and would ask what’s wrong. Then two, because I wanted to just be by myself and get my thoughts and emotions in order. So I pulled the covers back over me and turned away from him. He was persistent though, like I knew he would be, but eventually I felt the pulling on the covers stop and I figured he had given up and walked away. That was what I thought until I felt him sliding something under my covers. I waited a bit until I thought he left the room to check and see what he left. It ended up being a small post-it note with four words scribbled on it. Those four words had me out of bed and on my feet looking for clothes immediately though.

Your friends are here.

            That’s all it said but it left me confused and nervous as I tried to find a clean pair of jeans. What did he mean by my friends were here? I don’t have many friends that come over. The only two friends that have ever been over my house are…That’s when it hit me. The only two friends that had ever been over my house were Jonghyun and Taemin. So that must mean that they came together, the only question left was why?

            I finally ended up putting on a pair of dark blue sweatpants, deciding I didn’t really want to wear jeans, before heading out to see if my assumption was right. Sure enough, when I entered the living room I saw Jonghyun and Taemin sitting on the couch watching TV and Inguk hyung was there too, talking to both of them. I decided that it was time for me to make my presence known so I knocked on the adjacent wall causing all three of them to look in my direction. Taemin was the first one to stand up and come over to me, throwing his arms around me in a tight hug.

            “Hyung! I have to tell you something!” he signed to me. I let out a small breath before asking him what he had to tell me. Even though I was still upset at him for stealing Jonghyun away, that smile that he had on his face made me feel slightly better.

            “Well last night I went to Jonghyun hyung’s gig and I got to dance on stage with the band! The crowd cheered for me hyung and Jonghyun hyung even said that I can be a backup dancer! How cool is that?! I wanted to come over and tell you right away, I also invited Jonghyun too so we all could hang out.”

            Once he finished signing what he had to say, I removed his arms from around me before responding to him. He didn’t know that I already knew all of that stuff because Jonghyun texted it to me last night but still the fact that the only reason he wanted to come over was to tell me that hurt, because deep down I was hoping he had come over to ask why I didn’t come to the bus stop on Friday with him. Did he not even notice that I wasn’t there? Am I seriously that forgettable?

            “Well you told me so I guess you two can leave now,” I signed, not wanting to be around them any longer. If they were such good friends now, what was the point of even coming over? To flaunt their newfound friendship in front of me? Well I wasn’t going to just stand there and let them be all buddy buddy around me while they ignored me in my own house.

            “What? Hyung…why do you want us to leave?” he asked with a confused look on his face and now I thought either he was completely oblivious or he was just messing with me. I leaned more towards the latter because I knew that Taemin wasn’t that dumb.

            “Listen, I know you and Jonghyun are best friends now. So you guys can go be friends somewhere else. I won’t get in your way ok?” I turned around to walk away after signing what I had to say but I felt his small hand on my arm stop me. I shook my arm out of his grasp, only to be stopped again when Jonghyun stepped in front of me.

            “What’s wrong?” he mouthed out slowly but I pretended to not understand what he was saying, even though I could read his lips perfectly. He then said something to Taemin because soon Taemin was in my line of vision again signing.

            “Hyung, he asked what’s wrong? I know you understood him too. You were always good at reading lips.”

            “Well you can just tell him that nothing’s wrong and that I don’t want to talk to him.”

            Taemin turned to Jonghyun and started speaking and Jonghyun’s face soon became as equally confused as Taemin’s was. 

            “He asked if he did something hyung?”  Taemin signed to me, somehow now becoming our middleman/translator.

            “If he doesn’t know what he did then I’m not going to tell him. So you can take him and leave; go watch his band practice or be their backup dancer, I don’t care. Just leave me alone.” I finished before starting to walk away from them again, but yet again Jonghyun stood in front of me and stopped me. I knew he didn’t understand sign language but I put up one sign I knew he would understand as I flipped him off before finally getting away and going into my room.

            I knew that I was overreacting again, but I really just wanted to forget about him. I didn’t want to start being friends with him again to only be ignored later on. It hurt too much to be around someone that acted like you weren’t there when they were with other people and I never wanted to have to feel that again. Plus he didn’t even apologize or attempt to. Did he really believe that he didn’t do anything wrong?

            I kept thinking if I should forgive them or not because even though I was upset this was the first time and I really didn’t want to be friendless, because then I would really have a sad and lonely life. I could always make new friends, but I’ve been friends with Taemin basically since I moved here and I really didn’t want to lose him as a friend. Soon I felt a hand on my shoulder jarring me out of my thoughts and I sat up to see Soohyun in my room. I wasn’t really surprised since I knew he would probably be in here soon enough to ask me if I was ok. Soohyun always worries about me, if I’m doing well in school, if I’m making new friends, if I’m happy and I know always try to not make him worry unnecessarily; yet that’s what I was doing now, making him worry.

            “Kibum, are you ok?” he asked and I nodded my head before putting a small smile on my face to reassure him that everything was fine.

            “You’re lying; you know you can always tell me when something’s bothering you.”

            “I’m not lying though, everything is fine,” I signed, smile still on my face as I tried to rid his worries.

            “Then why did you send your friends home? Taemin said that you seemed really upset and he didn’t know why.”

            I let out a small breath before letting my smile fall off my face. “It’s really nothing for you to worry about hyung. We had a little argument that’s all.”

            “Ok, well I hope you guys make up soon. I brought some brownie mix today. Do you want me to make you some?”           

            Immediately I started smiling again as I nodded my head before asking him if I could help.  Soohyun ruffled my hair and smiled back at me.

            “Now you’re really smiling and of course you can help,” he said.

            “How did you know that my smile was fake before?”

            “Because it didn’t reach your eyes. Your mouth was smiling but your eyes still looked sad. Anyway, let’s go make those brownies!” he signed and I jumped out of the bed racing him to the kitchen. It was uncanny how easy it was for Soohyun to make me happy so fast.

            We ended up making and eating most of the brownies that when Inguk hyung came back from the restaurant with dinner he simply stared at us in disbelief.

“Did you guys seriously eat all of the brownies already?”

“Not all of them, we saved you one!” I signed before showing him the plate that held exactly one brownie, causing Inguk hyung to shake his head.

“I guess you guys aren’t hungry then, even though I went out and brought dinner, but both of you knew that,” he signed before putting the bag of food on the table. Soohyun hyung then stood up and started whispering something in his ear.

I’m guessing that Inguk hyung was a little upset that he went to get food while we sat and filled ourselves up on brownies; so that left Soohyun hyung to make him happy. I figured he was probably whispering something dirty in his ear since Inguk hyung’s face started turning red and he hit him. Both of them always seemed to be making out when I wasn’t around or they thought I wasn’t. I swear they’re like teenagers. I guess it’s a good thing for them that I’m deaf because that means they can do it all night and I wouldn’t know at all. Plus they wouldn’t have to keep it down…ugh I’m gonna stop thinking about my cousin’s life now.

I reached for the last brownie figuring that Inguk hyung wasn’t going to eat it but he quickly snatched it of the plate and took a bite out of it.

“You’ve had enough, this one is mine,” he signed as he held the brownie in between his teeth. I just stuck my tongue out at him before finishing my milk and telling them I was going to go in my room.

I felt much better after making brownies with Soohyun hyung and decided that I would watch a movie until I got tired since I wasn’t hungry now. As I was waiting for my computer to load up I saw the blue light on my phone blinking, indicating that I had a message. When I opened my phone I saw that I actually had eight text messages and a missed call.

            Who would try and call me? I wondered. When I checked I saw that it was from an unknown number. I figured that it was probably a wrong number. I then started going through my messages and most of them were from the same number that tried to call me.

From 010-xxxx:

            I don’t know why you’re so upset. Did I do something?

From 010-xxxx:

            Kibum are you really not going to respond?

            It took me a while to figure out who this person could be before I realized that it was probably Jonghyun since I deleted his number last night.

From Taemin:

            Hyung, please stop being mad at me. I don’t want you to be mad at me anymore, can we please be friends again! I’m sorry if it felt like I was ignoring you all week!

From 010-xxxx:

            I just called you like an idiot since you weren’t responding to my texts, but then I remember that you can’t…you know hear. Can you text me back though?

From 010-xxxx

            I just called Taemin and he said you didn’t respond to his message either. Are you ignoring both of us? I can understand if you’re mad at me, even if I don’t know why, but at least text him back. He sounded like he was crying.

            That was when I definitely knew that this person was Jonghyun. Reading that message made my heart clench though and I felt bad. That’s because I knew what it felt like to be ignored and I wouldn’t want anyone to feel like that, but now I was making Taemin feel like that. I decided I would text him back immediately after I finished reading all of the messages.

From Taemin:

            Hyung! I swear I’m sorry!! Jonghyun hyung even called me and said you weren’t responding; please don’t be mad at us anymore! I still want to be your friend hyung!

            There were still two messages left that I hadn’t read but I had to text Taemin now after reading that message from him. So I hit the reply button and sent him a simple text to ease his worries.

To Taemin:

            It’s ok Taemin. I’m not mad at you anymore. I just needed some time to think to myself and I wasn’t ignoring you. I went to make brownies with my cousin and I left my phone in my room. So don’t cry anymore ok? We’re still friends.

            I hit send and waited for the confirmation that the message had been sent. Once I got it I decided to read the last two messages before figuring out how I would respond to Jonghyun. I figured that I should just let this incident go and stay friends with them. I was really just overreacting and I shouldn’t end two friendships over something so small. I’ll just forget about it this time I decided.

From 010-xxx:

            Taemin told me that I should just give you some space. That you like your space when you’re angry but can you at least tell me what I did wrong? It’s really bothering me.

From 010-xxx:

            Fine, I get it. You’re pissed. But can we at least talk about this? Like one on one? Can I just come over tomorrow so we can talk this out? Or not…ugh just text me back.

            That was the last text. I was slowly started to realize that Jonghyun was kind of slow since he still couldn’t realize what I was pissed about, but I was going to give him another chance. As I was thinking about what I was going to respond with my phone vibrated in my hands and I saw that Taemin had texted me back.

From Taemin:

            I wasn’t crying! But are we really still friends? You’re not mad at me anymore?

To Taemin:

            Yes, we’re still friends and no I’m not mad. And you can’t deny that you weren’t crying because Jonghyun already told me you were.

            I sent the message before going back to thinking about what I would tell Jonghyun. Well first let me save his number again, I decided. Now, what should I write?

To Jonghyun:

            It’s ok. I was just overreacting and

            No, I don’t like that one. How about:

To Jonghyun:

            Jonghyun you’re really slow if you can’t realize why I’m upset

            No that’s too mean. Ugh it shouldn't be this hard. Right when I was going to try again my phone vibrated signaling that Taemin had texted me back.

From Taemin:

            Well I wasn’t crying and are you going to forgive Jonghyun hyung? I didn’t tell him why you were mad because I figured you didn’t want me to, but he seems really concerned. You should text him back.

To Taemin:

            Sure whatever you say and yea I’m going to forgive him. And I was trying to text him back when you texted me again. Anyway shouldn’t you be getting ready for bed?

            After sending the message I went back to thinking of what I was going to say to Jonghyun but kept coming up blank. I couldn’t understand why this was so hard. It wasn’t hard for me to text Taemin, but for some reason I wanted the text to be perfect for Jonghyun. Right when I thought I had the perfect text Taemin texted me again.

From Taemin:

            It’s not that late hyung! But whatever, I hope you guys make up soon. Goodnight.

            I texted him a quick goodnight before going back to type up Jonghyun’s message just to realize that I lost the thought. I let out an irritated sigh as I laid on my bed, my computer and the movie I was planning on watching long forgotten. I agonized over what to text him for a bit longer before deciding to keep it simple.

To Jonghyun:

            You can come over around 12 if you want. We can talk then.

            I sent the message and then held my phone with a nervous hand waiting for him to text me back, only to be surprised when he texted me back so quickly.

From Jonghyun:

            Ok! I’ll be over at 12 on the dot tomorrow!

            A small smiled appeared on my face as I read his message. At least now I knew that he wasn’t mad at me for ignoring him, even though it wasn’t on purpose today, and that he was still willing to talk to me. Plus, after tomorrow everything should be able to go back to normal between the three of us. Well hopefully.  


Guys! Here's another update but seriously guys this story isn't that amazing! I've gotten so many nice comments from you guys but it makes me so pressured to write an amazing story and I don't want to disappoint all of you, old subscribers and new. I gained almost 30 new subscribers from the last update and I really don't understand! Ugh!! I really hope this chapter didn't disappoint. I don't know when I'll be updating this again because I have my other stories to work on but I will try to update again before I go back to school. 

Oh and you guys should go watch VIXX's new video! My husband looks so handsome in it! 

Just look at him! Oh and go watch M.I.B's new video if you haven't! They were looking real good too. Especially Cream! I don't know where his y came from! Like forreals!  

Ok I'm done! See you guys next time! 

~Lolo