Chapter 3

Unwanted Silence

For the rest of the week Jonghyun and I kept meeting up at the bus stop and we got to know each other more. I learnt that he had an adopted younger brother named Minseok who was about sixteen, so only a year younger than me. I had also learned that he knew how to play the guitar and was hoping to one day become a rock star. He was even in a band with some of his friends from school.

            We would also exchange texts with each other frequently when we weren’t together and that’s what we were doing at the moment. I lay on my bed with my phone in hand waiting for him to text back. It was Friday so we wouldn’t be able to see each other which made me sort of sad but at least we would still be able to talk to each other. The phone vibrated and I quickly unlocked it to read his message.

From Jonghyun:

            So Kibum, what are you doing tomorrow?

Tomorrow? I didn’t have any plans and I don’t think I have a doctors’ appointment. I wonder why he wants to know though. I wondered to myself.

To Jonghyun:

            Nothing. Why?

From Jonghyun:

            I was wondering if you might want to come over tomorrow. Or I could come to your house if that would be easier.

Wait? He wanted to see me? Outside of us just seeing each other at the bus stop? What should I do? I should ask Soohyun hyung about it. I decided before jumping off of my bed and going to find Soohyun hyung. I soon found him in the kitchen making dinner with Inguk hyung, who noticed me enter the kitchen first.

            “Oh Kibum. Are you hungry? Dinner will be ready soon,” he said but I shook my head before handing my phone over to him. Inguk looked confused at first before reading the message on my phone. He showed it to Soohyun, who turned to me and gave me a smile.

            “He can come over tomorrow Kibum if you want. Just give him the address.” I gave him a wide smile before hugging both of them and saying thank you. I then ran to my room to text Jonghyun back. As I was typing out my message though, my phone vibrated again.

From Jonghyun:

            Its fine if you don’t want to though. We don’t have to hang out if you don’t want…

 I felt bad for making him think that I didn’t want to hang out with him when that was the one thing I did want to do with him. So I quickly type out my message and sent it to him.

To Jonghyun:

            I want to hang out. I just had to ask my cousin first and he said you can come over tomorrow.

From Jonghyun:

            Oh ok. Around what time should I come?

To Jonghyun:

            How about 12? Here’s my address…

I sent him my address and waited for him to reply. It took less than a minute.

From Jonghyun:

            I guess I’ll see you tomorrow at 12pm right? Not am?

To Jonghyun:

            No. Don’t come at 12am! My cousin will probably kill you if you wake him up that early.

From Jonghyun:

            I know. I was just joking.

I let out a small sigh before scolding myself slightly. I should have known that he was only joking. We talked for a little while longer until I had to go because dinner was ready. I ate, worked on some homework, and got ready for bed, excited about tomorrow.

 

            The next day I made sure to wake up early enough to get ready for Jonghyun. I’m normally the type of person that can easily sleep until twelve in the afternoon but not today. I was up at ten, tidying up the house and I even put out a bowl of snacks. I didn’t really know what we would do, since I didn’t know what he liked to do in his free time beside play music. I was just hoping that I wouldn’t bore him.

            I was currently sitting in the living room watching TV and waiting for Jonghyun to arrive. I kept checking the time because it was after twelve and he still hadn’t arrived. It wasn’t that much after twelve but I was still starting to get anxious.

            He’s just running a little late. I told myself as I flipped the channel when the previous show I was watching ended until I found something good to watch. I was halfway through the new show when my phone finally vibrated. My heart started to race as I became excited knowing that Jonghyun was finally here. I ran to the door to let him in but there was no one there. I became confused and decided to open his message.

From Jonghyun:

            I’m so sorry Kibum but I won’t be able to make it today. My parents are making me watch my brother and then I have band practice later today. I’ll see you on Monday though.

I felt my heart drop slightly as I read his message. I had gotten so excited to have a new friend visit and now it wasn’t happening. I was about to simply put my phone back in my pocket until I realized I never responded.

To Jonghyun:

            It’s ok. I’ll just see you on Monday.

After sending the message I went right back to the couch, sat there, and stared at the TV. I wasn’t even interested at whatever was on but now I had no plans for the day. I started eating the snacks that I had put out for Jonghyun and I to eat when he got here. No point in letting good food go to waste.

            I don’t even know how much time had passed when I felt a tap on my left shoulder. I looked over it to see Soohyun standing there. He had gone out to the store earlier so I wasn’t surprised that he was already back.       

            “Where’s your friend?” he asked me.

            “He cancelled. He had something to do.”

            “Oh well you shouldn’t sit in the house all day. Why don’t you call Taemin and you guys go hang out in the park? I can take you once I put the food away.”

            “It’s ok hyung. I think I’m just going to watch a movie in my room,” I said as I got off the couch and headed for my room. I was still feeling upset about the fact that Jonghyun hadn’t come. I couldn’t really understand why though. I mean, Jonghyun has his own friends and his own life. I shouldn’t get upset if he can’t hang out me, some crippled kid, for the day. Maybe our relationship will simply be talking through texts and meeting at the bus stop. It’s still better than nothing…I guess. 


I know this chapter is really short, but it seemed like a good place to end it. Hopefully this story isn't too boring. I sort of figured out what I want to do with it now but it will probably still be a short fic. Ten chapters max. Anyway, see you all next time.

~Lolo