Silence; not exactly Park Chanyeol's Diary

The Grim Reaper and Me

 

The winter breeze was so cold for anyone, even for the Grim Reaper if D.O is not in this state right now.

If only he’s not so eager, or not so focused on going to the Time Management department; D.O will surely freeze to death.

He ran outside the Death Management department without a proper set of clothing, white steam floating out of his trembling lips.

I couldn’t afford to lose another one; I just can’t forgive myself if I do, I won’t.

The black gate towards the Time Management department was closed tightly, as if there is no one inside; for a long time ago.

 

D.O pressed the bell, the intercom, just so the occupants of the department known of his presence.

Just so that Tao would come out and explain what happened to the time, what happened to Chanyeol.

At least, he thought, with that he knew where to find Chanyeol; how to save him, how to bring him back to the Death Management department with him.

When D.O pressed the bell, it stings him like crazy; well of course, he is the Grim Reaper that is not allowed in this part of the Life Department, is he not?

 

He tried to press the bell several times until he could feel the burning sensation of his own nails, until the smell of the burnt skin hanging low in the atmosphere.

It was either the weather is too cold, or D.O has focused his self too much on Tao and Chanyeol; that he doesn’t even remember of how hurtful his burnt fingers feel.

D.O shouted their names several times in panic, not realizing that he might sound too anxious and this could result in the revelation of his newly found feelings.

He should have known that everyone who sees him in this state knows clearly of his feelings towards Chanyeol.

D.O screamed his lungs out until the lump inside his heart suffocating him to death; he was sure he’s going to lose his dearest one for the second time.

 

“D.O!!” Kris called for him; his large hands pulling the smaller ones, clasping itself around D.O’s wrist. Somehow the size of Kris’ palms reminded him of Chanyeol; of how he would usually gave D.O a cup of tea with those hands, of how he silently craved to see those lengthy fingers intertwined with his.

 

“D.O! Stop this at once!” Soon Chen joined forces with Kris, and at that time D.O just recognize that all of them have gathered here outside the Time Management department. He struggled his hands away from Kris’ powerful grip, so hard that they began to feel numb from the taller one’s strong clutch. It was to no account; to no use. His whole body was shivering in depression; tears falling due to the aching heart.

 

“Let me go, Kris. I want to find Tao! I want to find-“ Clearly D.O was blabbering to his self, he’s not even sure to whom or what is he trying to talk about. D.O was lost in his mind, and when he realized it, he has fallen for him. He has fallen for Chanyeol.

“…Chanyeol” D.O whispered Chanyeol’s name, silently hoping that no one would actually heard him calling for the latter one’s name. Hoping that his tears would cease to fall whenever he’s trying to recall Chanyeol’s creepy grin, whenever he’s trying to spell for Chanyeol’s name.

 

“What is your problem, D.O? You’re not usually this fragile…” With every words he said, Xiumin tried to ease the younger one, circling his palm on D.O’s back in such a soothing manner. Yet, neither of his words managed to calm D.O down; he knew nothing would. His body even reacted by itself, his tears keep on falling down to the point that there will be no more tears left. D.O felt so small, he felt so useless. Even to cross the gate of Time Management Department, he was unable to do so.

 

D.O could feel lots of eyes looking at him with different shades of sympathy, worry, and also hurt. It feels as if he’s not the only one who is hurt. The Grim Reaper should have known that, to them, he is more than a family. To them, his pain is their pain. It is not only D.O who was at loss of words due to the disappearance of Tao and Chanyeol; they experienced that too. In the middle of the melancholy D.O felt, another shaken of timeframe had made them all dizzy. And in all of that haziness, in all of the dizziness, he came out of nowhere, bruises on his skin.

 

“Tao!” Sehun was the first one from them to notice the Time controller’s presence, making the rest jerked their heads in unison to the source of Sehun’s attention. And there he is, standing limply with his legs, trying so hard to get a hold of Chanyeol’s slightly bigger figure. D.O was both surprised and happy at the same time he could feel his face was retorted; crooked brows accompanied by sweet, smiley lips. In all of the awkwardness, D.O managed to stand up despites his shaky legs, he managed to drag his self closer to Tao’s exhausted one; to Chanyeol’s unconscious one.

 

“T-tao… He-“ Stuttering, D.O could feel as if he choked on his own breath; suffocating him with an invisible lump inside his throat. An immediate movement of Tao’s head, gently yet it was still able to make D.O wonder if Chanyeol is all right; freezes his tongue.

“He… He’s okay...” Tao’s voice was vague, laying Chanyeol on the soft ground of the spring soil; no strength at all… but D.O is such a biased friend… He couldn’t help but to be worry over Chanyeol more than he should have been.

“Ch-chanyeol-ah… It’s me… can you open your eyes?” Unconsciously his trembling hands are reaching for Chanyeol’s larger ones, ignoring Tao who’s kneeling limply beside Chanyeol; ignoring all the stares he gained from the others. Lay tried his best to configure Chanyeol’s condition, checking his pulse; making sure he’s alive.

 

“He is alive, D.O. It’s just… he has lost too much energy. His pulse weakened, yet it’s still there.” Lay informed D.O who had lost in his own thought, who ignored him as if the latter one didn’t hear his voice at all. D.O could hear Baekhyun sobs; he could feel Luhan’s hand on his shoulder trying to calm him down. He could feel Suho’s sympathetic gaze landed on his miserable figure.

“He needs to be treated right away, D.O.” Xiumin suggested for them to go back immediately for Chanyeol’s treatment, yet D.O couldn’t let his hands go; he doesn’t want to lose sight of Chanyeol anymore. He wants to scream, he wants to shout, he wants to say that he couldn’t possibly let Chanyeol go; not anymore. Yet no words could be formed, no voice going out from D.O’s throat. Silence; slowly eating him inside.

 

The moment Kris shook D.O’s hands off of Chanyeol’s, the moment Chen hugs the Grim Reaper tightly to give comfort; D.O’s tears dried out. The picture of Kris carrying Chanyeol out of his sight could not be erased from his mind.

 


 

“It’s okay. It’s just… I think all of the members of the Life Department would be heartbroken”

 

“I think I’ve fallen for Chanyeol”

 

Hello, this is Park Chanyeol who has recovered from his deadly disease, reporting to you about my daily activity. Actually, I’m exaggerating. It’s not deadly; it’s only temporary though. I couldn’t move my limbs for two times twenty-four hours, which, I had not regretted at all. When the first time I was able to open my eyes, my tears falling down from the happiness of being able to lift my heavy eyelids. And the first thing, or the first person to be exact, that appears in front of me is D.O the Grim Reaper.

 

You know, while some people might be freaked out to see a Grim Reaper first time they open their eyes, I was so happy to find D.O’s figure that I thought I’m still dreaming. Of course, though I could open my eyes, I couldn’t move any of my limbs; including my tongue and lips. They are frozen in time; as Xiumin and Lay have said. They would recover through time also, though. And so, I could feel relief seeping out of D.O’s figure, lovely twinkling eyes staring right through mine. Realizing my condition after a few words from Xiumin and Lay, D.O pulls my hand and writing something on my palm with his finger.

 

A little ticklish, yet this is the only way for us to communicate, as my ears are not that great in condition too. Some loud and high-pitched voice would sting my ears as if it tries to break my eardrum. The sweetest thing is, for the whole day D.O stays by my side; while occasionally receiving the door for some people such as Luhan and Baekhyun to visit me.

You’re going to be okay, Chanyeol.’ Luhan gave me a paper; trying to comfort me he brought me some of his soothing Lavender aromatherapy candle; which is soft enough for my still recovering sense of smell.

 

Ya, you make me worry. Please get well soon, Chanyeol-ah. You should see how much D.O have been missing you; also how he worries about everything involving you. Heehee’ Cheh, this rascal Baekhyun. He really makes me want to punch him in the face for teasing the sick person. Thanks God D.O saves me; he gestured for Baekhyun to leave, saying that the visiting hours have ended for the day; even if it’s not even noon yet. My eyes followed their direction, and my pupils dilated when suddenly Baekhyun pulls D.O’s collar closer. He then whispers something to D.O, and chuckles happily when the Grim Reaper’s face was red as burn.

 

D.O clears his throat and pushes Baekhyun out of the room, slamming the door so loud that I had to squint due to the pain stinging my ears. I grunt, and in a blink of an eye D.O rushes his self next to mine. While holding my hand gently he starts writing on my palm; different with those two who brought a paper to communicate with me, D.O writes on my palm with his finger.

 

Does it still hurt?’ I couldn’t answer, yet I tried my best to show that it’s not; through my loving gaze.

I’m sorry, Chanyeol-ah. I was wrong to have deceived my own feelings. Now both of us hurt.’ D.O wrote, through his gentle touch, through the edge of his fingertips I could feel his regret and sincerity. His doe eyes are also shimmering with the same sincerity I tried my best to show him my smile to no result. My lips won’t even budge.

As you have gone through the past, you should have known everything by now.’ D.O exhales deeply; not heavily though. It feels now as if there’s nothing left from his past anymore; any pain, any hurt. This D.O in front of me might be the achievement I once want to attain from going back to the past. I feel that this D.O will be able to show his self once more; will be able to show his true self, his true smile.

 

But I still want to tell you the truth. Coming from my side of the story’ Truthfully, his confession catch me by surprise. It’s like D.O has completely opened his self to me; again it’s like a dream. I wouldn’t even imagine this day to come, the day when D.O trust me with his past; his painful past.

I was’ …A long pause. Judging from his eyes it feels as if he’s quite embarrassed to talk about this. ‘I was falling deeply for him; Ryeowook. But you know, he’s my first love and tragically I fell for someone who had also fell for another person.

…Another long pause. And his face started to shone in different tone of red, omo so cute~ …Uhm, okay. He’s about to continue talking; or writing, I suppose.

 

Okay, this is rather embarrassing. The situation was complicated enough, a love triangle if I must say. Me towards Ryeowook, and Ryeowook towards Master Kyuhyun.’ Oh, I know this thing. So that last time I saw the picture of Ryeowook’s loving gaze towards the Master is a genuine thing.

When Master passed away after choosing me to be his successor, Ryeowook was so depressed. And until recently, I still thought that maybe he’s upset for Master choosing me to be his successor instead of him.’ D.O wrote these on my palm; feeling quite comfortable to talk about this to me despites the pain he had suffered. Now I’m sure D.O had let go all of his past; almost completely. A faint, soft laugh could be heard from him, my pupils again were dilated due to the unexpected moment.

 

But now, after you were gone for some days, Chanyeol, I realize it. I could almost feel the pain that Ryeowook once feel. The pain of being left by the person you love the most.’ D.O wrote this in such a speed I almost didn’t catch it. He didn’t even raise his head, or making an eye contact with me at all. Once I saw his ears, I knew that he’s trying to ease his overly excited self down; I could imagine all those butterflies flying around inside my stomach.

 

When you’re able to talk later… Would you call me Kyungsoo?