Park Chanyeol's Diary Entry; Day 2

The Grim Reaper and Me

 

How I ended up in the Death Management department

 

Speaking of the devil, and it may appear. Well, not really the devil, though, as D.O the Grim Reaper is not really a devil, he’s a cute Grim Reaper who is popular amongst his co-department friends.

Let me tell you about D.O the Grim Reaper my superior; and yeah, hello again I’m Park Chanyeol. Let’s start with how I end up working under his guidance in the Death Management department.

 

I was never a big fan of soul-eaters, really. Indeed, I want to work in one of the Departments of Life and Death, but I would never imagined before that I will end up in the Death Management department.

As a big fan of a healthy lifestyle, I've always wanted to be accepted to work in the Health Management department. However, either it’s coincidental or not, I’ve mistaken the Death Management department as the Health Management department.

Since, you see, the environment of the Death Management department is way too healthy for a death-associated organization.

 

If you think that death is always related to tombs and graveyards, and you expect to see one in the Death Management department; like I did, then you’re completely fooled; like I was. Because the surroundings of this department are a cute little garden with the most unique taste of floras I have ever seen.

The small garden surrounding the building consists of a mixture of Dianthus and Eucryphia Lucida. They radiate softness and care each time I looked at them, with soft pink and white as their main colors and immediately I was convinced that it’s the Health Management department’s building.

 

And so without compromising even more I went into the building, feeling sure that I would spend a good time in here for the rest of my life. Yet the next moment I stepped into the building, I found something that bothers me; the lack of human resources.

Where is everybody?’ I asked myself since I thought that Health Management would recruit a lot of people to help; yet I found no one besides myself.

“Excuse me?” I finally braved myself to be sonant despites my confusion of the unusually silent condition.

 

“Oh, a visitor. Can I help you?” A petite, frail looking man just came out from his office. His skin is snowy white; contrastingly match with his unbelievably dark night black hair. His plump, apple-red lips parted open due to his heart shaped smile, revealing a set of pearly white teeth.

His voice is sweet and melodious that I had a suspicion of getting into a wrong place; I thought I might have lost my way and ended up in the Music department.

“Um, I’m looking for a job in this department.” I said hazily while handing him my CV, I have to admit it; I was lost in his beady dark brown eyes that looked right through me.

 

His eyes and gazes were deep and longing for something that I don’t quite know, not that I’m sure I could understand if I know it though. As he reached my hands to take my CV, we locked gazes for quite a short time that seems like an eternity for me. I’m not sure if he looks through my CV or not, but the next thing I know, he grabs my hand and smiling innocently.

“Congratulations, Park Chanyeol-ssi. You’re just accepted in the Death Management department. I’m your superior, Do Kyungsoo but you can just call me D.O” I could feel the edge of my lips curling up trying to form a crooked smile as I heard that I’m employed.

But then; a crooked smile… Yeah, a crooked smile crawling up my face as I heard what the man just said earlier.

 

In fear, I shook his hands off mine.

“Do Kyungsoo… the Grim Reaper?” The man in front of me nods excitedly as he grins cutely.

“Wait, I must be wrong. Where am I again? Am I not in the Health Management department?” D.O’s grin turns wider in enthusiasm as he continues his sentence.

“Let me introduce you the most important essence of Life departments; the Death Management department.” My eyes turn wider in surprise as the response. I mean, how could I have mistaken the Death Management as the Health Management?

 

I was about to protest when D.O’s smile turns bitter all of the sudden, so I restrict myself from complaining; waiting for further explanation from him.

“This department… has been so silent, don’t you think?” He started to tell something that seems to be very bitter for him, and I suspect that maybe, this is the reason behind his deep and longing eye gazes.

“Uh-huh… Why is that? I suppose every independent department should have at least two people as its organizer” I said, I tried to dig the reason out of him to no result as he shook his head, trying to be cheerful once again.

 

“Now, thanks to you this department will have another companion!” D.O said as he grins once again; showing his heart-shaped smile that never fails in making my heart flutters. And so, until now I still don’t know the reason behind his deep and longing eye gazes.

All I see from his eyes is mystery and bitterness, very contrasts with his bright heart-shaped smile. Yet when I think over it once again, the smile is also not so genuine. I think there might be something that should have been there; but it’s not there anymore.

 

I suspect that my superior might have lost something or someone in his past. But I shook those memories and thought from my mind; I was serving the tea for the guests and some uninvited guests, remember? Okay, now it’s time to focus myself on my work as the Grim Reaper’s personal assistant.

So I poured the tea to each of the cup available; supposedly for each of the guests seating on the comfortably long sofa inside D.O’s office. My hand freezes immediately when one of the guests, Baekhyun the vocal picked his topic of conversation; D.O’s past.

 

“Hey so, you guys know that D.O used to have a more subtle smile, don’t you? I wonder where that smile has gone…” All of the attendants; including me, turns our head to him. Somehow deep in my heart it is wrong to have a discussion over these things, yet I also am very curious about this. Therefore I keep my silence as I wait for someone that might have some information over this.

“Not that his smile is not charming enough, though… It’s just-” Baekhyun hurriedly revised his sentence, yeah but well, it is kind of true.

 

“It’s Kim Ryeowook.” Chen said silently that it was almost overlooked; but well I did not ignore it.

“Who’s Kim Ryeowook?” I asked out of my curiosity, and was surprised to hear none of the guests answered my question.

“Wow, ignored by crowd.” I said pathetically as I snort to myself. I was afraid nobody will answer my question anymore, but was glad to find Lay finally said something.

“I suppose you came in after he’s gone, Chanyeol-ah” I tilted my head, as I really am not familiar with that name.

“Care to give me some light over this, Lay?” I smiled softly while pouring some tea to his cup.

 

Lay looked around his colleagues before responding to my answer, and finally talked with apparent hesitation through his voice.

“I don’t know if I’m allowed to tell you this… But since you’re now working in the Death Management department, I suppose you should have known” the doctor said solemnly as I nods softly.

“Kim Ryeowook was-“

“a great man, with a short life span. He was a valuable assistant, and I fell in love with him. He was my lover” D.O’s voice echoed through the office room to my astonishment; I’ve unnoticed that coming. His voice was hoarse; which I suspect as the result from the lack of sleeping, but am not sure since I find hatred in his voice. Was unapparent for others yet so clear to me.

“D.O!” I hear myself and the rest of the guests exclaimed in unison, shocked of his sudden appearance. The only difference between my shriek to theirs are; mine sounds more to guilty while theirs are more to excitement.

 

“What’s wrong with your voice, D.O? Here, let me checked your health” Doctor Lay said, almost sounds too worried for a doctor to me.

“No, no, let me give you this candy for your throat, D.O” Xiumin the nutritionist protest despites that he is from the same department as Lay is.

“Tsk, tsk. Both of you don’t know what D.O should have right now.” Baekhyun said while shaking his head in disagreement.

“He needs to hear the death song from us” Chen concludes in a conclusion that to me; is ridiculous.

 

Since I knew, right now all that my superior needs is a sleep. I stood abruptly just to reach for D.O that is walking closer limply, but stopped since he raised his hand.

“I’m okay, everyone. I just… want to have a rest” D.O exhaled heavily as he smiled weakly, and none of us have the right response for that.

Because you know, he rubs his eyes cutely like a very sleepy child; his black shirt was ruffled maybe because of his hardworking latest shift. And with that, the guests that are usually very insistent staying in the department, are now one by one exits the building with a quiet, muffled “Goodbye”.

 

D.O moved to his chair and sit down pretty harshly; literally throwing off all of his weight to the comfy chair.

He turns his chair just to look at me; now that the occupants of the office are only the two of us. He parted his plump lips just to speak to me, “Want me to explain it further?” and smiled weakly to me.

I nodded as I sit before him.

 


 

At first.... I'm going to made the story to have no storyline...basically consist of chanyeol's diary etc.

but yet it become as complicated as kyungsoo's past :'(

and idk if I ship ryeosoo or not but here I am...writing about them as lover in the past OTL

lol anyway~ thanks for the comments as well as the subscribes ^^

please enjoy the story~ <3 and that's a heart for each of you readers! xD