Park Chanyeol's Diary Entry; Day 6

The Grim Reaper and Me

 

I blinked my eyes several times so that my lashes won’t freeze from the unbelievably cold weather today. I couldn’t help to sneeze since I really, like reaaaaaally couldn’t stand cold weather.

“Achooo! Ouch!” I could feel Tao smacking my shoulder from besides me, I don’t know if it’s only me but he seems to enjoy it a lot.

“Don’t make too much noises, Chanyeol-ah.” Oops, I really am not very sensitive, am I? Tao must have wanted us to be hidden very well since we should not interfere with the past, doesn’t he?

“I couldn’t hear D.O’s laugh” …And again, this jerk only cares about D.O all right.

 

I rolled my eyes; Tao really succeeds to irritate me a lot these days. I should bear with his behavior, I should-

“D.O-ya, where are you? Master have been looking for you” That’s rather an unfamiliar voice I heard there. Well though it’s unfamiliar to my ears, it’s still nice to be heard.

“Who’s that, Tao?” I asked him immediately when I saw the owner of the pleasant voice. That’s a male, of course I knew it despites his strangely beautiful features of face. He’s got quite a small, petite nose completing his soft-looking face. His eyes were very warm I know instantly that this person is a nice one, and he’s way lot nicer compared to Tao, I agreed.

“Tao?” I kept on badgering him; making Tao turned his glares to me, which are replaced with boring eyes.

“Couldn’t you figured it out already?”

 

“What are you-“ My sentence was cut off the time I saw D.O’s figure coming out from the dark green mulberry bushes, hairs ruffled with leaves and branches, white skin bruised and scratched. Seeing his condition I began to wonder what had happened to him actually.

“Hey, D.O” The guy smiled to the younger D.O who seems wilder, with the same heart-shaped smile; though this one in the past had shine brighter.

“Ryeowook hyung!” D.O ran towards the guy that turns out to be Ryeowook, the one D.O fell in love with.

 

I was shocked. No actually, I wasn’t really shocked at all. In fact, I’ve expected the man that D.O had fallen for is a delicate man. Despites what motives he had in dating D.O- Wait, they haven’t dated yet 4 years ago, right? I supposed it would be their first encounter 4 years ago.

“If you’re wondering if today is their first encounter, then you’re wrong Chanyeol.” Tao said all of the sudden as if he could read my mind, this; I was quite shocked.

“But I thought-“ No, I didn’t think about it at all. I didn’t even calculate the possible time of their first encounter. The only thing matters to me were that I want to bring D.O’s smile back, as soon as possible.

 

“You won’t be able to see their first encounter Chanyeol. For they met almost 10 years ago, around when D.O was ten.” I stared blankly at those couple in front of me, Ryeowook lingering his shawl for D.O. The view was very sweet that it’s almost heartbreaking for me. I stayed silent, looking hazily at the beautiful scene before me as my heart aches painfully. I looked down at myself; how could I be so blind? How could I be so over confident in myself, trusting myself that I could bring back D.O’s smile?

 

I exhaled heavily, clenching my fists in agony to hear laughter before me; the one I longed for, D.O’s laughter. It’s melodious, pure and clear, like the wind-bell chiming in the summer breeze, like the bells on the sleigh chiming in the winter amongst the street ways.

“Let’s go back, Tao.” I said after determining myself, it’s like I have realized that my efforts are useless. I know D.O wouldn’t be able to forget Ryeowook, the man that make every heart melt; the man that captivates most people’s attention. I’m not even comparable with him.

 

To my astonishment, Tao punch me in the cheek all of the sudden. Being absent-minded and lost in my thoughts, I fell to the soft floor of pure, white snow before me. The fact that the innocence of the snow is very contrasting compared to my inner heart full of disappointment and jealousy, it hurts me more when I fell towards them.

“What the hell is wrong with you, Chanyeol?” Tao almost screamed his lungs out, fists clenching in annoyance; teeth gritting in aggravation.

“Where does the spirit you have just now gone?” I smiled guiltily, ashamed of how confident I was to actually risk myself in going to the past just to retrieve what I never have.

 

“I could not possibly bring back what I do not have at the first place, Tao. I never have possessed D.O, or D.O’s smile.” I averted my eyes from Tao’s ferocious ones, too afraid to see the weakness of me reflected in those eyes. When I thought that I will have another punch from him, I’ve been waiting and expecting it to come; or at least having him yelling at me, none of these are coming.

“Come on, I know you’re more than that, Chanyeol.” Wait, I’ve not been expecting this? I jerked my head upwards to see Tao that is standing tall before me; perplexed at the same time surprised of his unpredicted words.

 

“If you cannot retrieve it, you could always take it over right?” Tao smirked at me, playfulness radiates from his eyes; challenging me to bear with it. I know I have been coward enough to avoid looking at the happiness D.O had when it was shared with Ryeowook. I was irritated at the same time disappointed at myself; discouraged before even going into war, defeated before hand. I was jealous to see how Ryeowook could easily captivated D.O’s heart, holding onto it even after he had gone.

“I dare you to steal his heart, Chanyeol.” Tao finally said; offering his hands for me to grab and take my stand.

 

I took his hand, stood up and patting the snow to remove them from my cloak before finally exhaling in relief. I realized what Tao have been telling me to do; to not being strangled by the past, to not comparing myself with Ryeowook. Indeed, I am very different with Ryeowook, but my love to D.O is greater than his I suppose; I believe, at least.

“Let’s go and take a closer look at them” I said as I directed myself and Tao to sneak our way closer to both D.O and Ryeowook. I decided that I might be able to steal my superior’s heart, yet in order to do so I had to know his old-self better; even if it means I should bear my aching heart of jealousy.

 

I watched as someone, not old enough to be called as gramps though sitting on a rocking chair as if he is older than everyone.

“This view brings so much memories, that old gramps” Tao said from beside me, smiling warmly to my amazement. I never knew he could smile like this, yet he does.

“He’s not that old” to my opinion I say. Tao looked at me as if I am the dumbest person all over the world, that look offended me a lot yet I shrugged my shoulder.

“What?” I asked him, confusion seemed to be apparent on my face as he began to explain exasperatedly.

“That, is Master Kyuhyun” Tao pointed at the man sitting on the rocking chair, as fragile as a cotton flower. He said that one simple statement as if it explains everything; which for me is useless since I don’t have even a single clue of him. I was never interested in the Death Management department, after all.

 

I remained expressionless, innocently tilting my head to the side in ignorance, earning some heavy sighs from Tao.

“I suppose this is the time he’s about to vanish” Tao said calmly, which I responded with my widened eyes as I was surprised to his gloomy words that was said with such a calm expression and tone.

“Vanish? Do you mean, dead?” Tao nods without looking at me, he focused his self on Kyuhyun inside the building.

“Grim Reapers don’t go by death, Chanyeol. They vanished into thin air when their time has come.” Tao looked at me with such an intimidating manner; there is mockery in both of his eyes, as well as in his tone of voice.

 

“I thought you have known this very well, Chanyeol. You’re working on the Death Management department, aren’t you?” I stuttered myself when Tao had hit the part where I hid my weakness. Indeed, I joined Death Management Department just for the sole reason that I have had fallen in love with D.O.

“Yes, well I admit it. But it’s no time to slacking off and even arguing about the terms” I said rather carefully as I watched the silhouette of Ryeowook went closer to that of Kyuhyun’s just to caress the latter one’s cheeks in such a very loving manner. Somehow I could see the misery reflected inside D.O’s widened eyes; I can feel jealousy radiates from his smaller figure.

 

The image I could see blurred, I felt dizzy all of the sudden.

“Wha-what’s wrong, Tao?” I asked, unknowingly I started to be panicked all by myself.

“…” Tao doesn’t reply immediately; instead he turns paler than he had ever been. My eyes turn wide at how the world seems to be turning around me.

“Tao!” I finally managed to shout at him, demanding some possible, and maybe logical explanation from him.

“Not good, Chanyeol. Not good”