Last Petal

The Peculiar Girl

The sound of cicadas from afar slowly became audible as Ji Eun awakened from her sleep. 

Yawning, she looked at the clock and realized that it was almost 12o'clock noon.

She transferred her gaze to the bed next to hers and realized that Suzy was nowhere in sight. She was about to step out from her bed when a thought suddenly hit her.

 

One day.

 

This will be the last day she's gonna spend here in this world. 

Ji Eun then felt as if all of her energy for that day got drained from her, leaving her lanky and weak. 

Now that she only has a day left, Ji Eun's thoughts became more jumbled.

"You can do this, Ji Eun." She tried to cheer herself up. "You should be happy. You're finally going home."

Ji Eun plastered a wide grin on her face and looked at the mirror. 

Then, not a minute after, she sighed. "Home...I don't even know what home is anymore."

 

~:~

 

"W--where are you guys going?" Ji Eun questioned when she finally went downstairs. She saw Soo Ri packing some food and putting it inside a large box.

"Ji Eun!" Suzy cheered and ran towards her. "Dress up!"

The girl frowned. "Dress up? Why? Are we going somewhere?"

"We'll go to the beach!"

Hearing Suzy's exclamation, Ji Eun widened her eyes and before she could even ask another question, she was dragged by Suzy towards their room.

"Here, you could borrow this." Suzy said, tossing a plain purple sports shirt and black pair of shorts. "There's no need for swimwear."

"Suzy..." Ji Eun mumbled. "Why are we suddenly going to the beach?"

"Mom suggested!" Suzy replied.

"Oh I see..."

After rummaging her closet, Suzy sighed and walked towards the bed where Ji Eun was seated. She sat beside her.

"Look, Ji Eun..." Suzy mumbled. Her face that was cheerful a while ago had now been painted by sadness.

"I know it's your last day today...but could you please do me a favor?"

Ji Eun tried to smile. "What is it?"

"Let's spend this day as if you're not gonna leave at all."

Hearing the younger one's reply, Ji Eun took a deep breath, amazed at how Suzy herself brimmed with so much hope.

"Okay," Ji Eun whispered.

"Okay!"

Then, they both embraced despite the ness of truth.

After putting on their clothes, the both of them went downstairs, just in time when Soo Ri finally finished her food preparation.

"Hey earthlings,"

Hearing once again his deep husky voice, Suzy widened her eyes and saw Chanyeol who just entered inside.

An excitement grin was plastered on his face.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, felt tensed.

"Yeol!" Suzy dashed towards him and gave her cousin, whom she already considered as her brother, an embrace. 

Ji Eun stayed rooted on the last stair step, unconsciously fiddling her fingers. She then realized that she doesn't know how to approach him anymore. 

After ruffling Suzy's hair, Chanyeol chuckled and met Ji Eun's eyes.

"Hey, Ji Eun." He greeted and gave the girl a salute. 

Hearing his address to her, Ji Eun blinked. "Oh, h-hello."

"Mom, I'll transfer the box of refreshments at the car now alright?"

"Yeah sure, honey." Soo Ri answered, tossing the boy her car keys.

Ji Eun watched how Chanyeol carried the box and went outside. 

She tried to rewind how he greeted her normally yet she knew that something beneath her felt sad, maybe

because she sensed that although Chanyeol's on his same attitude again, their bond still feels different.

Just before disappointment could eat her up, Ji Eun took a deep breath and went outside with hopes that 

what's unsettled between them will be settled before this day ends.


As usual, Chanyeol settled himself on the passenger's seat while the two girls stayed at the backseat.

The sun was its peak when they went on their way. Soo Ri the radio which resulted to them singing along. Even though they weren't at the beach yet, they were already having fun.

Amidst their cheerful conversation, Ji Eun would glance at Chanyeol from time to time, witnessing how he buoyantly sang and gave jokes that uplifted the atmosphere between the four of them. 

Ji Eun didn't know why but even though she tried to laugh along with them, she felt a heavy feeling inside her chest. Maybe because throughout their journey, Chanyeol didn't even glance at her. 

She felt something wrong in his cheerful aura.

 

~:~

 

When they finally got to their destination, Soo Ri laid a large blanket on the sand while Chanyeol settled a large beach umbrella to give them a shade.

The beach sparkled magnificently beneath the glorious sun as sound of seagulls from afar accompanied the mounting waves. Suzy stretched out her arms and took a deep breath, taking in the scent of seawater.

"It's so beautiful." Ji Eun remarked as she stood beside Suzy.

Suzy nodded. "Absolutely,"

"Ready to have a race?" Chanyeol appeared on the left side of Suzy and gave them a challenging look.

"Bring it on." Suzy raised her voice.

"Ji Eun?"

He looked at Ji Eun. A smirk was plastered on his face. "You ready?"

Although their gazes met, Ji Eun felt something wrong. Still, she tried to chuckle. "Alright,"

Chanyeol looked ahead, noticing how the sky looked like it collided with the sea beyond the horizon. "On three. One. Two--"

"Go!" Suzy started to run, baffling Chanyeol.

"Hey!" 

Ji Eun watched at how the two sprinted to get to the sea first. Chuckling at their actions, she ran.

"First!" Suzy raised her hand as she felt the water on her feet.

"Whatever," Chanyeol rolled his eyes and started to splash water on Suzy's face.

After assembling a folded chair, Soo Ri smiled at the sight of the three running around the beach. As she felt the gush of wind, Soo Ri sighed, admitting to herself that no matter how much they enjoy this day, it won't stop Ji Eun from going away.

The three, who's completely soaked in water, stood at the shore while smiles of excitement were plastered on their faces. They were waiting for the waves to crash them.

"It's almost here! It's almost here!" Suzy anticipated and just before the waves could hit them, they ran.

Then they did it again, all over again as their laughter roamed around.

As they waited for it again, Chanyeol grabbed Ji Eun's wrist and pulled her away just before the waves could crash them. 

"You alright?" He laughed. "You became occupied all of a sudden." 

Ji Eun watched how he squinted because of the sunlight as she tried to steady herself. "Y--yeah,"

Hearing her reply, Chanyeol just nodded and let go of her before running back to the sea.

Looking at the two who already gave up and started to swim, Ji Eun still felt his hold around her wrist. Then, she sighed, frustrated at how she thinks too much and ran towards them while plastering a smile.

 

After a while, they went back and sat on the blanket while Soo Ri folded the beach umbrella since the sun was about to bid its farewell.

"Let's watch the sunset," the older one smiled as she settled herself beside Ji Eun.

So they did. Silence wrapped the four of them as they patiently waited for the sun to tuck itself.

Then, after a while, it slowly went down as if being swallowed by the great ocean which heralded twilight.

Ji Eun felt numb as she watched how the sun disappeared, realizing that it's the last sunset that she has encountered here in this world.

"Before we go home," Soo Ri said, "I have an idea."

Receiving a questioning look from the three, Soo Ri explained further. "Let's honor Ji Eun today by giving her words of encouragement. Or your personal message for her..."

After agreeing to the older one's request, they formed a circle. Ji Eun sat between the women while Chanyeol settled across her.

Silence has now wrapped them and the joy on their faces a while ago when they were playing at the beach was nowhere to be found. Maybe because of the fact that this day was about to end, which basically means that Ji Eun was about to leave too.

After placing a lamp at the center to give them light, Soo Ri signalled Suzy to start.

"Okay," Suzy took a deep breath, "I'll begin."

As Ji Eun felt the melancholy within her grew, she inhaled deeply, telling herself to stay strong.

"Geez, I don't know what to say…" Suzy chuckled although it was visible that her eyes brimmed with tears. "Look, Ji Eun, words aren't enough to express how thankful I am to have you. To me, you're not just the mission of my mom; you're not just a friend either. You are a family...and you are my sister."

Hearing her words, Ji Eun felt her lips trembled as she saw how Suzy tried to blink back her tears.

"I admit that I don't want you to go back, really...I want to be with you forever…but of course, that's not gonna happen. You belong somewhere else. This isn't your home. So, before you go, I want you to know that I love you so much. And it hurts to know that...that you're the only one who'll remember everything that happened between us."

Then, Suzy began to sob while tears endlessly flowed from Ji Eun's eyes. She felt suffocated all of a sudden.

"Oh Suzy," Ji Eun whimpered and wrapped her hands around Suzy's crumbling state.

"I'm sorry. I should've emptied my tears last night." Suzy sniffed. "Ji Eun, when you reached Fantasia, please don't forget how much you mean to me--to us. And although you have to go, I'm still thankful because no matter how limited time is, I was given the privilege to encounter you."

Suzy let go of Ji Eun's embrace and plastered a smile. "Don't worry, Ji Eun. We have loved you so much that we are willing to let you go home...even if that home doesn't include us. We may forget, but I believe that our hearts won't stop loving you."

After wiping their tears away, Ji Eun went back to her position and realized that Soo Ri cried too.

Knowing that its Chanyeol's turn, Ji Eun looked at him, noticing how he was dead quiet. His gaze was constant at the small branch that he was fiddling. 

"Your turn," Soo Ri smiled at the boy.

Chanyeol scratched his head. "Darn, you guys are being dramatic…"

"Oh please," Suzy rolled her eyes. She knew that although Chanyeol tried to keep it cool, as his unbiological sister, Suzy could tell that Chanyeol was sad too. The problem is that he's having a hard time facing the truth.

Chanyeol shrugged. "Suzy's such a crybaby. Well, I don't want to say much, really. So uhh, thank you, Ji Eun. For everything. Have a safe journey, alright?"

Ji Eun nodded at his question, noticing that Chanyeol was just looking down. 

Then, after a minute of silence, Ji Eun took a deep breath. "T--that's it?"

Hearing her words, Chanyeol finally met her eyes. Of course, that's not all. He has a lot to say that his heart almost burst out from his rib cage. If only...if only eyes could speak...they won't have trouble fumbling through silence just to know what the other was thinking.

His heart raced, and Chanyeol felt dizzy. He wanted to continue. Yet all that went out from his mouth was, "Yeah, your turn, mom." 

Then, he looked away.

Ji Eun pursed her lips as she felt her heart clenched. She wanted to protest. Seeing how he looked like he's completely okay made Ji Eun sick to her stomach. Maybe because she was hoping that she matters...that she matters to Chanyeol.

Despite the pain that was brewing inside her, Ji Eun tried to smile and transferred her attention to Soo Ri.

"Okay," Soo Ri took a deep breath and painted a motherly smile on her face. "Ji Eun, words cannot describe how thankful we are to have you in our lives. As a guardian, you were my very first mission, dear. At first, I thought it would be easy since all I have to do is to just guide you until you come back to your world...but..."

Soo Ri sighed. Her face already became flushed since she was suppressing her tears. "...but not once did it cross my mind that this would be so hard. Because you know, Suzy's right, you're more than just my mission...you are my daughter. And I am ever so grateful that out of the hundreds of guardians in this world, I was chosen to be your guardian. I couldn't ask for more, dear. I love you, Ji Eun. We love you. When you leave tomorrow, I want you to take heart, alright? Though we may forget, I believe that the heart will always remember, because love remains."

Then, as tears rolled from her eyes, Soo Ri embraced Ji Eun. The women were crying now as they made a group hug while Chanyeol, on the other hand, looked away as he felt his heart clenched.

 

~:~

 

It was already 11o'clock in the evening when they got home. Suzy had already fallen asleep on Ji Eun's lap when the car finally came to a stop. 

"Chanyeol, you should just stay here tonight." Soo Ri suggested as she removed her seat belt. "It's already late for you to go home."

"Mom, I'm a guy." Chanyeol replied. "I can go home by myself you know."

"But, it's already late. Are there still buses at this hour?"

"Of course," the boy responded. "Besides, I need to go. Mom and I will go to Jeju tomorrow."

"Oh, is it tomorrow?"

"Yeah,"

Ji Eun, seated at the back seat, bit her lip, realizing that tonight was indeed the last time she will see Chanyeol.

When they finally went out, Suzy straightly walked inside, dizzy. Chanyeol, along with Soo Ri and Ji Eun put the boxes that they used inside the house.

"Well, I need to go." Chanyeol rubbed his palms together.

"Alright, Ji Eun, could you please lock the gate? I'll be transferring the leftovers at the refrigerator."

"Sure thing, auntie." Ji Eun replied and walked outside of the house with Chanyeol.

There was an awkward silence that surrounded the both of them as they made their way toward the gate. Ji Eun opened the gate for him and tried to plaster a smile. 

"I have to go." Chanyeol tucked his hands inside his jacket's pockets. 

Ji Eun cleared . "Alright...thank you for today. You know, for being available."

"Sure thing,"

After a minute of silence, Chanyeol sighed. "So...I guess this is goodbye, then?"

Then, he tried to chuckle. "Oh, not 'I guess'. This is indeed goodbye."

Ji Eun took a deep breath after hearing his statement that managed to slice her heart. She wanted to scream at him and asked him why he was so harsh and straightforward yet she couldn't, because she knew that he was right.

Then, for the first time that day, they gazed at each other for a long while. The both of them knew that their eyes held a thousand words that couldn't manage to slip out from their lips. There was sadness, longing, and pain. Yet not one of them dared to say a word. 

Chanyeol wanted to, but he knew that it would be no use since he's gonna forget her and he doesn't want to burden her by admitting his feelings. She might have a hard time when she gets back to Fantasia since she's the only one who'll remember everything.

Ji Eun wanted to, but she doesn't know how to start, maybe because she was afraid that Chanyeol doesn't reciprocate what she's feeling. Her thoughts were completely jeopardized in that moment.

When tears started to fall from Ji Eun's eyes, Chanyeol looked away and felt numb.

"I'm gonna miss you, Chanyeol." She sniffed. "Thank you. Thank you for everything."

"Yeah," he gulped, "you too."

Then, he walked away, feeling how his heart crumbled as the centimeters between them grew. He wanted to hide himself in a nutshell and let out his pain, but since he's so used in hiding behind a facade, he tried so hard to suppress his tears.

Ji Eun whimpered as she stared at his back. Her vision started to get blurry because tears kept flowing from her eyes. 

And just as she was about to lock the gate, she heard her name.

She then quickly went out and saw Chanyeol staring at her from a few distance.

Then, as he walked towards her, Ji Eun felt her heart raced after realizing that he was crying.

Just before she could give him a questioning look, Chanyeol wrapped his arms around her. And every uneasiness that Ji Eun was feeling that day suddenly washed away as she felt his presence that was so close to her. He held her so tight as if it was enough to not let Ji Eun slip away.

Neither of them knew how long they stayed in that position and when Chanyeol finally let go, Ji Eun was surprised to see how flushed his face were. 

Finally, Chanyeol had the courage to tear his facade away.

"Look, Ji Eun," he ruffled his hair frustratingly. "I'm sorry for being such a coward."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't want to burden you..." He said. "...but I just can't help myself from speaking the truth. I can't hide this any longer."

"What is it, Chanyeol?" She asked, feeling the sudden rush of blood in her veins.

"I like you, Ji Eun." Chanyeol lowered his voice and looked down; he looked like a child who's been caught stealing cookies from a jar. "No, darn it. I mean, I love you, Ji Eun. No one's ever made me feel this way...I thought I've got everything understood in my life, you see. But when you crossed my path, I realized that I was wrong. Really wrong. You walked into my life, so honest, so true...and so beautiful, and helped me see that there's more to life than numbered days. You bring out the best in me, Ji Eun. You make me brave."

Ji Eun took a deep breath as she tried to process the bustle of his words while seeing his tears that were constantly flowing from his eyes.

"And yes, it hurts. Darn, it hurts so much to see you leave just like that. And I hate the fact that we're gonna forget you. It hurts, Ji Eun, that I'm not gonna remember you. That once upon a time, I met the woman I love--I met the girl that I wanted to marry."

Ji Eun felt her lips trembled. Then, suddenly, her heart felt so light after hearing his words. It raced so fast that Ji Eun felt dizzy as she felt a burst inside her. Maybe because she realized that this is what she's been waiting for all this time--to hear those very words from Chanyeol.

"Goodbye, Ji Eun." Chanyeol sighed and then, gently, he leaned in and kissed her forehead. He doesn't know if he wil feel relieved or devastated that moment, because Ji Eun felt so close...yet he knew that it wouldn't be for long.

Ji Eun stayed rooted on the ground as she watched Chanyeol walked away with dejected shoulders. 

Not a minute after, she ran towards him and embraced him from his back, surprising Chanyeol.

Her cry was now unstoppable and Chanyeol turned around to face her. His heart broke at the sight of the endless flow of her tears.

"H--hey,"

"Chanyeol," she said between her sobs. "I don't want everyone to forget me...especially you."

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol took a deep breath and hugged her. A cold wind brushed his cheeks as he felt his chest got wet because of her tears.

"I don't want to forget you, too." He admitted as his lips started to tremble. "I really don't."

"If only there's a way," she sniffed. 

"Ji Eun," he cupped her cheeks and wiped away her tears. "This might sound stupid but...I promise I'll wait for you."

She tried to chuckle. Of course, he couldn't. No matter how hard he'll try, he's gonna forget her. "Don't, Chanyeol. Please."

They stared at each other for a while and saw how melancholy basked each one of them. Then, with a pained heart, Ji Eun gathered a lot of courage to speak. "Goodbye, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol looked away and bit his lip so hard that it almost bled. 

"I might kiss you." He replied instead. He couldn't manage to bid his farewell to her.

Then, just before he could even gather the courage to say goodbye, Ji Eun put her arms around his neck as she closed her eyes.

Beneath the night sky that was bursting with stars, Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Ji Eun and leaned to press his lips on hers.

Time seemed to fade away as they both got lost in each other's presence. 

And in that moment, Chanyeol felt beautiful and devastated all at once. 

Despite the ness of truth, Ji Eun didn't let go, because for the the first time, she finally realized what home truly means to her.

That night, the stars that seemed like twinkling coins from afar, witness two hearts in love yet devastated, because fate wouldn't let them.

"Goodbye, Ji Eun. I love you."

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun watched Suzy, completely asleep. Tears were streaming down her face as she heard the ticking of clock that was on the wall. 

Neither of them nor Soo Ri has an idea how Ji Eun will leave their world. But when the clock finally ticked to 12o'clock, the last petal of the flower fell and Ji Eun finally knew how.

She stared at her hands that were slowly fading away along with her feet. Ji Eun wanted to shout yet she chose not to, because she didn't want them to see her in that way. It will be too heartbreaking.

In the dead of the night, Ji Eun slowly faded, unnoticed.