Eavesdropping

The Peculiar Girl

The light blue sky still hid the sun and the sound of cicadas serenade the coming of morning when Ji Eun went to the living room after waking up. It was a Saturday morning and it was unusual for her to wake up early so she decided to go downstairs. She saw Chanyeol who’s lazily sitting on the couch with odd wires hanging from his ears. Ji Eun sat beside him and grumpily rested her elbows on the right hand of the couch. When she looked at him, he was bobbing his head up and down making Ji Eun looked at him in bewilderment. “What’re you doing?”

Chanyeol continued to bob his head as if he didn’t hear her. Ji Eun rolled her eyes and tapped his shoulders, saving him from his own oblivion.

He removed one of his earphones from his ear and gave Ji Eun a questioning look.

“I said…what’re you doing?” She asked and sighed.

“Listening to music,” He shrugged and put back the earphone.

Ji Eun wrinkled her brow. How can he listen to music? Ji Eun doesn’t even hear anything, only the cicadas from afar that are maybe in Soo Ri’s lawn or garden. She bit her lower lip and tried to perk her ears, trying hard if she can hear music but sadly, she can’t.

Ji Eun tapped him again and Chanyeol grouchily removed his earphone again. “What?”

“I can’t hear any music.” She said before pouting.

Hearing her words, Chanyeol grunted and almost flicked her forehead. “It’s because I’m using earphones duhh.”

“E-earphones?” She innocently asked.

Chanyeol suddenly studied Ji Eun. He’s making sure if Ji Eun was just playing tricks with him but seeing her face with an innocent look, he knew that she was clueless and it made him wonder again. I mean what kind of person who doesn’t even know an earphone?

He took out the other earphone and transferred it to her ear. “Here,”

He was about to rest his head on his arms when Ji Eun suddenly removed the earphone from her ear and moved away from him with wide eyes.

Seeing her sudden weird actions, he took out the earphone from his ear and furrowed his brow. “What’s the matter with you?”

Ji Eun cleared and pointed her finger at the earphones dangling loosely on his shoulders. “Did I just hear voices from that little thing?”

He looked at the object where she’s pointing and he frustratingly scratched his head. “You’re seriously freaking me out.”

She gave him a pout. “Wait but I did hear something right? I’m not hallucinating?”

“Ugh Ji Eun. Of course you heard something.”

Not getting his explanation, Ji Eun blinked her eyes three times and cleared . “But…how? Are there small singing people inside?”

“What?” He huffed in disbelief. He got to admit that he wants to laugh hard but instead, he found her weird. “Of course this is just recorded.”

He heaved his shoulders and took out his iPod from his pocket and Ji Eun curiously looked at it. “What’s that?”

“Ahh you’re so weird.” Chanyeol said with a sigh and stood up, leaving the room with so much frustration.

“Cruel…” Ji Eun muttered and pouted.

Chanyeol went back to his room and lied on his bed, staring at the blank ceiling. He was dead curious what’s wrong with Ji Eun. I mean, it seems like she doesn’t know anything. Chanyeol sighed and averted his gaze to the door. He knew there’s something wrong.

 

~:~

 

“Just give him a chocolate then.” Suzy said as she patted the pink pillows on her bed.

The both of them were cleaning their room when Ji Eun asked Suzy what to give to Luhan together with her card.

“You think so?” Ji Eun asked, folding the blankets.

“Yup,” Suzy nodded and sat at the edge of her bed. “It’s not that bad…Anyway, I’ll go to Hana’s house today. I’ll make sure to stop at the convenient store and buy a chocolate for you.”

Hearing her words, Ji Eun’s eyes sparkled. “Really?”

“Yeah,”

Ji Eun clapped her hands and giggled. “Thank you Suzy!”

Suzy stretched her arms out. “You’re welcome. By the way, we’ll have a review later again.”

Hearing her words, Ji Eun puffed her cheeks and lazily laid herself on the bed. “Okay...You know what, I hate reviewing.”

Suzy chuckled. “Well, who does anyway?”

Ji Eun scrunched her nose and took a look at the boring white ceiling above her. “But for the sake of being Luhan’s classmate, I’ll do it.” She said full of determination and hope.

As she heard the main purpose of Ji Eun, Suzy widened her eyes. “Wait, don’t tell me you just want to pass the Special Exam just to be his classmate?”

Ji Eun clasped her hands together and gave a wink at Suzy. “Bingo,”

“You’re so unbelievable Ji Eun,” Suzy said surprisingly. “In an adorable way though…”

 

~:~

 

Suzy made her steps towards the living room with a plate full of sandwiches and saw the other two teenagers seated on the floor around the center table with their books.

“Eish. It’s wrong. For the nth time, do it again.” Chanyeol muttered in annoyance as he slid a piece of paper to Ji Eun who’s currently whining while her head is buried on her arms.

“I don’t want to.” Ji Eun complained in the middle of her whining.

Suzy took a seat on the floor with them and placed the plate on the table. “What’s the matter?”

“She’s been answering this simple equation since last hour. Oh for heaven’s sake.” Chanyeol frustratingly explained as if he’s the one who’s having a hard time. “I can’t even review myself for too much depression in tutoring her.” He added.

Suzy bit back her laugh as she looked at Chanyeol whose face was completely full of frustration and annoyance. She then, averted her gaze to Ji Eun whose head is buried on her arms while whining.

“It’s okay Ji Eun. Answer it again.” Suzy said, trying her best to encourage this girl who’s seriously afraid of Trigonometry.

Ji Eun looked at Suzy across her and exhaled deeply while heaving her shoulders. “I can’t…” She replied and buried her face on her arms again.

“You can…”

“No…”

“You can…”

“Suzy…It’s really difficult.”

Chanyeol who’s seated beside her gave her a scrutinizing look. *Ahh girls these days*

An idea popped in Suzy’s mind making her clasped her hands together. “Oh my dancing goblins. You can do it! It’s for Luhan remember?”

Hearing Suzy’s wonderful encouragement, she quickly let her head up and let a wide grin plastered on her lips. “Singing Trolls…you’re right! For Luhan!”

Suzy wrinkled her brow, scratching her head. “Eh? I thought it’s dancing goblins? But that’s cool though.”

Ji Eun pumped up her fist in the air and inhaled deeply and let herself thought that she’s sniffing determination. “Okay I’ll answer this. For Lu—“

“Would you guys stop it?!” Chanyeol annoyingly shouted, silencing the two girls.

“What? I’m just encouraging myself.” Ji Eun irritatingly said and rolled her eyes.

Chanyeol ruffled his hair and stood up. “Whatever…I’ll just get something to drink and I want you to finish that before I come back.”

Ji Eun gave him a grimace and wrapped her dainty cute fingers around her pen. “You’re very officious. Good thing I’m doing this for Luhan. If not, I must have smacked your face.”

“One word you’ll be a dead girl.” Chanyeol said and rolled his eyes before storming out of the room.

When he’s finally gone, Suzy shook her head and let herself sink into the world of her textbook. *Oh Chanyeol…you’re anger towards him is still there*

 

~:~

 

When a cooling purple veil replaced the cheerful color of sky, Ji Eun took a seat on the grassy ground across the wilted flower together with a notebook and a pen.

She sighed and opened the notebook in the first page where she glued the paper which contains the things she needs to do.

After reading it, she rested it beside her and wrapped her arms around her knees, looking at the sky.

She wants to know what are the things she needs to learn because she can tell that she’s really changing but why does this flower is still the same? What are the things she still needs to know?

She reached for her notebook again and proceeded to the blank second page without having an idea that she’s still not in the halfway of the things she needed to learn.

 There were still many that is far more important than saying thank you…

There were still many that have the ability to change her heart completely with goodness…

There were still many that she needed to know…

There are still many that will enable her to opened her naïve eyes in the face of reality.

Ji Eun removed the cap from the pen and decided to write something. She told herself that this notebook will be her journal while she’s here on earth so that she has a track to know if she’s really changing.

 

Today, I think that when you like someone, you will do anything despite how hard it is for you.
You’ll be willing to face the difficulty with hopes that the result has something to do in reaching your happy ever after.

Today, I also realize that there are things that you need to do before you’ll be able to take hold of your happy ever after.

And now, I’m thinking…are the words I wrote is the meaning of love? Because I can tell that I’m feeling something inevitable towards Luhan and I’m pretty optimistic that this is love.

 

“Hello,”

Ji Eun suddenly closed her notebook and craned her neck, realizing that it was Soo Ri.

“Oh hey auntie…you just got home?”

Soo Ri nodded. “Yeah, I quickly finished my tasks in the hospital.”

Ji Eun suddenly widened her eyes in realization. “You…work at a hospital?”

“Yes, I’m a doctor.”

“I…I didn’t know.” Ji Eun said. “So you help the sick people?”

“Uh-huh.” Soo Ri said together with a nod. “Wait, what are you doing here outside?”

Ji Eun just shrugged and looked at the wilted flower across her.

Soo Ri averted her eyes to where she’s looking and sighed, taking a seat beside Ji Eun. “You miss them huh?”

 Ji Eun heaved her shoulders, feeling that her lip is trembling but she’s trying hard to fight back her tears. “I miss them. I miss Juniel who’s always there to wipe my tears away. I miss my parents who care for me. I miss Wimsy the Owl who’s my best friend when it comes to evil. I miss seeing the fairies work everyday even though they don’t like me. I miss my favorite spot on top of the hill. I miss the villagers even though they have a prejudice towards me. I miss every single being there. I miss Fantasia.”

She has no idea that tears were gushing out from her eyes.

Soo Ri pursed her lips and patted Ji Eun’s back. “Don’t worry. You can accomplish your mission here in this world and then you can come back to your world. In Fantasia…”

Ji Eun wiped her tears away using the back of her hands and sighed. “I hope so…”

 

 

*in this world?*

*her world?*

*Fantasia?*

Little did the two women know that someone heard them…