Behind his Eyes

The Peculiar Girl

This drawing was made by my classmate and it was colored by my cousin. :) 

It's so awesome. T_T I hope you agree with me.

Well I think you know who those three are. Chanyeol, Ji Eun and Luhan. 


Myungsoo didn't attend school again which made Ji Eun completely lonely. She was worrying and hoping at the same time that everything would go well.

The class still hasn't started while the room was already filled with Section A students.

Some were chatting as usual while some preferred to create a world of their own.

There were also specific students who's busily doing their homeworks that they have forgotten to do at their houses.

"Mornin' Ji Eun," Luhan smiled after settling himself on his seat and removed his bag from his shoulder.

The girl gave a grin together with her eyes that turned like two crescent moons. "Good morning Luhan."

"Ji Eun,"

The both of them turned their head and saw Sehun walking towards her; his hand was wrapped around a pink umbrella.

"Hello there Sehun." Ji Eun greeted as she looked at how Sehun placed the umbrella on her table.

He abruptly rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry I was absent yesterday so I didn't have the chance to give this back to you."

"It's alright so don't worry about it." Ji Eun shrugged and put the thing inside her bag.

Sehun sensed Luhan's stare, making him look back at his friend. They somehow made a conversation just by using their eyes.

A playful smirk appeared on Sehun's face when he saw how Luhan intensely looked at him.

"Chill, I just gave this back to her." 

Ji Eun, who was completely clueless, looked at him. "Huh?"

Sehun shook his head. "Nah, Luhan's just being jealous that's all."

Hearing his friend's words, Luhan somehow huffed in disbelief whilst Ji Eun kept quiet because she didn't get it.

With that statement of his, Sehun walked back to his chair.

When their homeroom adviser finally arrived, every one quieted after giving their adviser a warm morning greeting.

"Students, I hope you are all aware of the school's upcoming foundation day." Ms. Han informed while fixing her things on the table.

Some students lightened up so they gave a 'yes' since a lot of them likes foundation days.

"I want you to know that as seniors, all of you will be in charge of a program. It's your decision to make. Students in lower levels are in charge of booths that why the school decided to let the seniors handle a program. You have one week of preparation."

Countless chatting were heard because of what Ms. Han said and seeing how the seniors were serious about this event, Ms. Han smiled and took a seat, letting them do their decision.

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side. "What's a foundation day anyway?"

"It is a celebration about the school when it was founded." Chanyeol replied and walked towards Jinri which is their class president.

"Ohh..." Ji Eun mumbled and tagged along to listen at Jinri's decision. 

 

"Hey Luhan, is it okay with you if I'll take my snacks with Suzy today?" Ji Eun asked after the bell rang.

As much as he wanted to say no, he nodded.

A grin appeared on her face and Luhan watched her walk away from him. He then, sighed. Actually, he absolutely need her right now because of what happened yesterday. He didn't want to face Minah today and he was hoping that he can avoid her by spending the rest of the day with Ji Eun.

He had enough sense to know that there's a part of Minah that became hopeful and suspicious.

This is absolutely not a part of his plan.

If only he became more careful.

He walked in silence to the canteen although he was with his friends. Luhan was being aware of everything and much to his relief, the section B students weren't there yet.

"Is something wrong?" Sehun suddenly questioned after they settled around a table.

Luhan just shrugged. "I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" 

"Minah saw my phone yesterday." Luhan said and stared blankly at a corner. His jaws were clenching.

"And?" Sehun said, completely clueless at what his friend was saying.

"She saw my wallpaper." Luhan ended just before a sigh escaped his lips.

Sehun knew what he's saying and when he finally had enough sense to process Luhan's words, he huffed. "You have got to be kidding me. How?"

"I just..." Luhan muttered. "I just forgot my phone at the library and then it happened."

Sehun moved a little closer with a curled brow. "Oh c'mon how could you be so careless."

Luhan clicked his tongue. "You think she'll become suspicios or something?"

"We'll never know..." Sehun muttered. "How are you with Ji Eun?"

The boy shrugged. "We're doing...fine I guess. Being with her isn't bad after all. She's very nice and I took her with me when I went to Li Wei's grave."

Sehun was nodding while listening to his friend's explanation but however, his ears suddenly perked up upon hearing his last few words. "Wait what? Li Wei? Your sister?"

"Yeah." 

"You brought Ji Eun with you during her death anniversary?" Sehun asked while disbelief covered his entire face.

Luhan looked at him, completely bewildered. "What? Is there something wrong with that?"

Sehun shook his head. "Look Luhan, as far as I know, you never brought Minah or anyone with you because it's a family matter and then you're telling me that you brought Ji Eun? She's the very first person you introduced to Li Wei. If I'm not mistaken."

"Actually, you're right." Luhan mumbled.

"See? You know, I think you're getting much more beyond your plan. And I tell you, what you're doing is dangerous. It can lead to complications. Based on my observation, you're slowly lowering your guards." Sehun explained.

"Look, I know what I'm doing."

"Well I hope you're sure about that then. But if you ask me, I think you need to end this soon. The more it'll take longer, the more you'll hurt another person. Think of how naive Ji Eun is...and who knows, if it'll take longer, there's a possibility that you might fall for her."

Luhan cleared his throat after hearing his friend's explanation. "No way..."

"I hope you put in your mind what I just said." Sehun muttered and gave a nod to their other friends who just got inside the cafeteria.

Sehun stood up. "I'll just buy some snacks. Want me to buy one for you?"

"Yeah sure, I'll just pay you." 

His friend nodded before walking away.

Just before he could busy himself with his phone, he looked ahead and saw Ji Eun with Suzy. It didn't take time for them to hold each other's gazes. Ji Eun gave him a wave while Luhan gave a smile and that was it.

Still, Luhan stared at her walking figure while Sehun's explanation to him a while ago was rewinding inside his mind.

He then, realized that Sehun was kind of right. There's a lot of possibilities that might happen and what's worse is that it can be out of his control.

The thought made him sick to his stomach so Luhan tried his best to shrug it away.

He was getting afraid of all that's happening. 

He remembered the countless times when he was with Ji Eun and it all lead to a realization...she was vulnerable and fragile.

And it somehow made Luhan guilty. Why did he choose her in the first place anyway?

He mentally scolded himself of what he just did. It was all because of bitterness and anger. 

It somehow made him surprise that he actually did that kind of thing. 

But what could he do? There's no turning back now. It's too late to back away.

The thought of Ji Eun being a precious and fragile woman made him want to end this all now. But how?

He needed to be more careful of what lies ahead. The more he attach himself to her, the more she'll be hurt in the end and somehow, he didn't want that because he realized that he can't bare seeing Ji Eun broken.

After a few minutes, Sehun returned and gave him what he just bought.

"Thanks," Luhan mumbled when he suddenly saw Minah who was about to walk pass them.

He quickly removed his eyes at her and focus his attention on his snacks, hoping that Minah won't talk to him.

His heart was beating quickly because through his peripheral vision, he saw her staring at him as she walked closely and closely.

Her eyes didn't leave him until she finally walked pass him.

Luhan took in her jasmine scent and it made him miss her more. 

Sehun glanced at Luhan and as his friend, he saw that uneasiness was basked on his face.

 

When it was finally dismissal time, Chanyeol and Ji Eun walked to the waiting area and realized that Suzy wasn't still there.

Chanyeol took a seat and when Ji Eun was about to settle herself, she heard someone called her name.

The both of them turned their head and saw Myungsoo who just got out from his car.

Ji Eun suddenly widened her eyes and ran towards him. "Myungsoo!!"

Just before the two of them could make a greeting, they wrapped their arms around each other.

It was a friendly gesture but it somehow lightened Myungsoo.

"How's your dad?" Ji Eun questioned when the two of them broke from each other's arms.

Myungsoo stared at her and his eyes somehow became watery and it made Ji Eun nervous. "He's..absolutely well."

A smile crept up on Myungsoo's face and when those words became a symphony to the girl's ears, Ji Eun widened her eyes. She screamed after containing her feelings and hugged Myungsoo again while the boy just chuckled at her sudden outburst. "I knew it! I told you he'll be alright!"

She removed her arms around him and rested her hands on his shoulders. "So you're okay now then?"

"Of course I am. The operation was amazing especially the doctor." Myungsoo said. "My mom teared up that time."

Ji Eun giggled at his words. "So you'll attend classes now?"

"Yeah, tomorrow."

"That's great!" Ji Eun exclaimed, completely jubilant at what's happening.

The boy shrugged. "Well I need to go now. I still need to visit dad. I just dropped by to let you know."

"Okay then, have a nice day Myungsoo." Ji Eun said and gave a final wave just before Myungsoo could enter the car.

She watched the car as it roared to life and when it's finally nowhere to be seen, Ji Eun returned from her seat while Chanyeol looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "Ooooh~ that's sweet."

"What?" Ji Eun questioned.

"What's going on with you and Myungsoo?"

"Nah, he just gave me a good news."

Chanyeol, who just got curious, moved a little closer. "What is it then?"

"It's about his dad. He had a heart attack but the operation went well so he's alright now." Ji Eun chimed.

Hearing those words, Chanyeol quieted and averted his gaze to the dried leaves that were being brushed by wind. "Lucky him..."

"Huh?" Ji Eun asked and was surprised to see the sudden change of his face.

Just before she could say something, Suzy finally went in.

The two girls started to have a conversation of random things until Soo Ri arrived.

During their ride home, the boy stayed quiet.

 

~:~

 

The air was unkind and stiff when Ji Eun woke up in the middle of the night because of too much coldness. She abruptly sat up and saw Suzy's sleeping silhouette amidst the darkness. Ji Eun stood up and walked towards the light switch to turn it on and when she finally did, her eyes squint because of the brightness.

She scratched her hair as she yawned and decided to fetch something to drink downstairs.

When she finally took her steps, she suddenly heard voices coming from the kitchen and she realized that the light there was on.

As she walked closer, the voices became much clearer and she had enough sense that the owners of those voices were Soo Ri and Chanyeol.

Ji Eun knew that eavesdropping was a bad idea but she somehow felt the urge to listen so she walked slowly and pressed herself agains the wall to make out what they were saying.

"I can't mom. Why can't you just tell her that I don't want to!"

"Chanyeol please, calm down. She's your mo--"

"So? She left me and mothers don't do that to her children."

"Why can't you just see her?"

"I can't. I've already buried my memories with her and I don't want it to rise up again."

"Chanyeol, don't you miss her?"

"Mom. Just stop. Please. I can't."

"I can't..."

"I can't..."

"I can't..."

The sentence continued on and on until Ji Eun heard a quiet sniffling sound. She furrowed her brow and without even knowing of what she's doing, Ji Eun stepped inside the kitchen and saw Soo Ri and Chanyeol seated around the table. 

He was crying.

Again.

It made Ji Eun catch her breath while the two were surprised to see her existence. Chanyeol abruptly stood up from his seat and quickly left the room. Ji Eun's lips were slightly parted and saw Soo Ri sighed.

"Auntie...what's wrong?"

"Chanyeol's having a problem right now." Soo Ri replied and tried to plaster a smile.

Just before the girl could make a question, Soo Ri cut in. "Do you want a midnight snack? There are cookies left."

Seeing the tiredness on Soo Ri's face, Ji Eun shook her head. "I lost my appetite."

And with that statement of hers, Ji Eun walked away.

She slowly took her steps upstairs as she tried to think of what she had just seen a while ago.

Chanyeol, who always has the energy to , was crying again.

Chanyeol, who always has a crooked smile, was crying again.

Chanyeol, who always know how to plaster a grin on his face, was crying again.

Ji Eun knew there's something wrong and somehow, she wanted to make everything better. That boy needed comfort and she was willing to do it. She was willing to listen as he empty out his sorrowful soul through tears.

Because she knew that he needed someone beside him. That someone doesn't need to give words of encouragement or do something to make him feel better. He just needed someone that'll stay right there beside him and let silence conquer them. He needed someone that'll listen.

A person's presence was enough for him.

Ji Eun had experienced that kind of feeling. When she was in Fantasia, she usually cried and whenever her family was not near her, there was no one who was willing to comfort her and she hated that feeling. She felt so alone and Ji Eun hated it.

And somehow, she doesn't want Chanyeol to feel that way that's why right now, no matter how much she wants fall into a deep slumber, she's willing to listen to him all night long. She knew that a person's presence is sometimes enough to comfort a person.

 And Ji Eun knew that being embraced by melancholy without having someone by your side .

She stared at the closed door of Chanyeol's room and it is as if she can see right through it and witness Chanyeol sitting on his bed while crying. That imagination of hers made her cringe so she knocked because she wanted to fight his sadness. "Chanyeol..."

There was no reply so Ji Eun continued to knock.

"Go away Ji Eun. You need to sleep."

The girl sighed and knocked again. "I don't want to."

There was silence and it made Ji Eun become more determined.

"Chanyeol, open the door please."

...

"Look, I'm willing to be there for you right now." 

...

"I can't go to sleep because you're being like that. Please, open the door." 

Ji Eun waited and just before her hopes could fade, she heard the turning of the knob and the door slowly opened, revealing a dejected boy with curly locks of hair.

The way he looked like made Ji Eun worry so she stared at him with eyes full of sympathy. "Why don't you get some fresh air huh?"

Chanyeol bit his lower lip as he nodded his head, looking like a lost boy. Ji Eun walked towards the balcony and told Chanyeol to tag along. Much to her surprise, he obliged. 

Maybe she's right. Chanyeol really needs someone right now.

Despite the coldness of air, the both of them sat on a long chair at the balcony. Its metals were definitely freezing but still, they settled themselves on it.

The both of them sat in silence and Ji Eun looked at the sky that seems like a black ink that spilled throughout the horizon. It somehow made Ji Eun happy because there were stars that night. They were all like shining diamond flecks that served as a design for a black cloak which was the sky. 

"What's wrong?" She gently asked and stared at Chanyeol who's also looking above.

She heard him drew in his breath. "My real mom...called mom."

Ji Eun wrinkled her nose. "Wait, you mean your mom, called auntie?"

The boy nodded.

"What did she say then?" 

"She..." Chanyeol whispered. "She wanted to...see me."

"Ohh...well...do you want to see her?" 

With that statement of hers, Chanyeol abruptly shook his head. "I don't want to. I don't want to."

"Why?" 

"Look Ji Eun, she left me and I waited. I waited for years but she didn't come. You think it'll be easy?" Chanyeol muttered as tears started to roll on his cheeks, making Ji Eun lose her strength.

"I'm s-sorry." The girl whispered and nibbled her lower lip.

She was getting uneasy at what she's witnessing.

"I hate her. It took her a lot of years just to come back for me and that's stupid. It's stupid. I hate her. I hate her." 

The girl looked at him as tears streamed down from his eyes. She was completely speechless and she knew that his anger was burning up and she can't do anything to stop it. So all she did was to reach out and pat his back.

And it made Chanyeol cry more.

The scene was excruciating for Ji Eun and she doesn't even know why. It hurts her to see Chanyeol like that because he is a kind of guy who walks with happiness but little did she know that this boy was somehow trapped in a labyrinth and he doesn't even know the way out.

There may be times that they don't get along well with each other but despite their countless bickering, Ji Eun saw Chanyeol as one of the important people that she encountered here in this world. And seeing him like this made Ji Eun cringe because she cares for him.

He rested his arms on his knees and buried his head on it as he wept more.

Ji Eun just continued to pat his back and somehow, her eyes became watery too. His sadness was so strong that it even infected Ji Eun.

They stayed like that for minutes as silence conquered them and Chanyeol's sniffling sounds were heard including the symphony of crickets from a far. 

"You'll be alright..." Ji Eun gently said out of nowhere. She didn't know what were the proper words to say but those just slipped out from .

The girl continued to say it until it somehow became a melody to Chanyeol's ears.

It went on and on until it managed to made its way to the empty spaces of his heart, easing Chanyeol.

 

"You know...I envy Myungsoo." Chanyeol suddenly said after wiping his eyes with his shirt's sleeve.

Ji Eun stopped patting his back and rubbed her hands together because of the coldness. "Why?"

Chanyeol looked at her and saw her rubbing her palms together, trying to fight the coldness. When they stared at each other, Ji Eun noticed that his face was so gloomy and his eyes were red because of crying a while ago. 

"Wait a moment." Chanyeol mumbled and walked inside, confusing Ji Eun but she waited anyway.

The girl puffed her cheeks and felt herself shivered when a gush of wind brushed her skin. And after a few minutes, Ji Eun sensed his presence, making her turn her head to the right and saw Chanyeol standing beside her, handing her a jacket. 

"Oh...t-thank you." She stuttered and grabbed it from him. 

Chanyeol shrugged and sat beside her as she put it on.

"So yeah, I was jealous. Because...his father's operation went well unlike my dad's." The boy continued.

Ji Eun's ears perked up, remembering her conversation with Soo Ri when they were at an orphanage. She remembered when Soo Ri told her that Chanyeol's father died because of a heart attack when he was seven. And now, she finally understood why Chanyeol suddenly changed when she told him something about Myungsoo when they were at the waiting area.

"Ohh..." was all she said.

"You see, my dad, was an amazing man. He's the person that I looked up to but..." Chanyeol mumbled. "It happened."

"He was strongest man I've ever known and he's my...hero." 

"But he let go too soon...so he didn't even have the chance to witness me grow up." Chanyeol said and felt the trembling of his lips when Ji Eun suddenly held his arm. 

"Don't cry. Please. Don't be like the clouds."

It made him stop. "Clouds?"

"Clouds...never get tired of crying." She murmured and tightened her grip. "Don't be like them."

Her words were simple yet it took away some of the burn he felt in his chest.

"But...my tears are too strong right now." Chanyeol responded.

"Don't, please. I don't want to fail."

The boy curled his brow. "Fail? What do you mean?"

"You see, I wrote on my notebook the things that I shoud do and one of it was to not let a tear fall from a person's eyes." Ji Eun explained.

"So you're really doing your mission huh?" Chanyeol asked, surprised at Ji Eun's determination.

The girl nodded. "Of course."

"You know, your story is really really out of this world but somehow, I found myself believing you. Maybe because of your weird actions?" 

Ji Eun giggled at his statement. "Thank you for believing then."

"Don't get your hopes up. I don't believe you like one hundred percent. Seventy percent maybe." And for the first time, Chanyeol chuckled which made Ji Eun happy. 

"Anyway, I'm sorry..." The boy added, making Ji Eun frown.

"Sorry for what?"

"You failed a while ago...I cried." 

Ji Eun pursed her lips and patted his shoulder. "Nah, what matters most is that you're not tearing up right now."

"I don't look manly to you now huh?" Chanyeol questioned, forcing a smirk to appear on his face.

"Eh? Why?" 

"Because you've seen me cried for two times." The boy jested.

Ji Eun laughed a little. "Nah, you're still a man. Everyone cries anyway. Some are just afraid to let people see it so you're brave then."

"Hey Chanyeol," The girl added and Chanyeol gave her a questioning look.

"Can we take a picture?" 

Hearing her request, Chanyeol scratched his head, making Ji Eun clasped her hands together. "Please please please?"

"Ugh, okay" 

Ji Eun widened her eyes. "You should smile okay?"

"Yeah yeah." 

So Ji Eun quickly walked back to her room and grabbed her phone from the sidetable and when she went back, Chanyeol was on his original position. She sat beside him and used the front camera but Chanyeol didn't want to smile and it took a long while for Ji Eun to press 'click' because she kept on nudging Chanyeol.

"C'mon, smile. I won't click this."

"Just click it already."

"No. We'll stay like this so smile now."

Being tired of her silliness, Chanyeol gave up and forced a smile.

It was their first picture together.

 

After that, the both of them stayed quiet while they just looked ahead somewhere the horizon.

Chanyeol's still feeling a bit of sadness when he looked at the stars that were like little diamond flecks in the sky, hoping that its light may have the ability to soften his heart. He was busy looking at it when he felt something heavy fell on his shoulder.
He then, realized that Ji Eun rested her head on him. Chanyeol felt her soft hair tickled his neck but he just shrugged it away and smiled.

"I miss Fantasia..." The girl murmured.

Chanyeol didn't say anything and felt the gushing of wind, causing some of his curly locks to block his eyes.

"Ji Eun,"

"Mm?"

"I..." Chanyeol whispered. "want to sleep now."

Ji Eun suddenly removed her head and straightened herself. "Oh I'm sorry for that."

The boy chuckled. " Nah it's alright."

The both of them stood up from their seat and walked inside.

"I hope you're okay now. Good night, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol smiled and nodded before walking inside his room.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, plopped herself on her bed and stared at their picture.

She glued her eyes on Chanyeol and looked at the way how he smiled. She was glad at the fact that somehow, this boy managed to curl up his lips despite the circumstances.

*Now who would've thought that there's a lot of pain going behind those dark brown eyes of yours.*

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun was fixing something inside her locker one morning. It was still early so there are only a few students and the hallway was not piled up.

One of her notebooks fell on the floor and when she was about to pick it up, someone picked it up for her instead.

"Ji Eun, right?" 

Ji Eun straightened up and saw a familiar girl standing in front of her, handing her the notebook. "Yeah."

"You remember me?"

Ji Eun smiled and nodded. "Yes of course. You're Minah."

Minah chuckled. "Yes I am."

Ji Eun continued to fix her things while Minah leaned against the locker beside Ji Eun's. 

Minah curled  some strands of her hair using her fingers and glued her eyes on Ji Eun as if she's observing every single detail of her face and somehow, it made Ji Eun uncomfortable.

"You and Luhan are together right?"

Hearing her question Ji Eun gave an awkward laugh and nodded.

"Ohh..." Minah mumbled and crossed her arms above her chest. "Do you love each other?"

Ji Eun somehow chuckled at the girl's statement. "Of course we do."

"What makes you so sure about that?"

Ji Eun closed her locker and straightened her blouse. "What's with all the questions?"

Seeing confusion basked on Ji Eun's face, Minah chuckled and patted Ji Eun's shoulder. "Oh nothing. I'm just having...you know, some doubts."

And just before a word could escape Ji Eun's mouth, Minah gave her a wave. "Well I need to go now. Have a nice day, Ji Eun."

Ji Eun stared at Minah's walking figure and cocked her head to the side but in the end, she just shrugged and walked away.

Minah, on the other hand, looked back and saw Ji Eun's small figure from a far and somehow, her smile faded. 

There was a part of her that's hoping that there's still a chance.


 

Hello,

Another update :)

This story is getting really fascinating and I can't deny the fact that I'm getting excited too every time I write another chapter.

Anyway, there's a heavy storm in Philippines right now so to those who live there, please stay safe. God bless you. :)

Oh and...continue to upvote my story. Heh. ^^

 

Wonderfully yours,

FindingSunshine