Bitterness

The Peculiar Girl

"Spill the beans." Suzy commanded as she lead a blushing Ji Eun on one of the couches.
Ji Eun took a deep breath as she tried to process the enchanting events that happened this day. "It was magical..."
Hearing her words, Suzy giggled and tried to poke Ji Eun's abdomen. "Of course it's magical! You just had a date with your crush!"

Amidst of their juicy conversation, Chanyeol entered the room and lazily laid himself on the long couch. He put his arms beneath his head and tried to take a nap but because of the girls' conversation, he can't help himself from listening even though his face didn't show any interest but however, he somehow wondered at what happened that's why even though he closed his eyes, he still listened.

"Eh? Why did you sleep?" Suzy grumbled and lightly slapped Ji Eun's arm.

"The movie is just so boring and dull you know..."

Suzy sighed. "Eish. Then what's magical about that? You just slept!"

Scratching her head, Ji Eun made her reply. "He...held my hand."

Suzy suddenly widened her eyes and gave a grin. "Really?! Aaaah!"

She held Ji Eun's shoulders and shook her as if she's the one who experienced the date and as if Ji Eun was just a doll that she can shake with all her might.

Hearing Ji Eun's words, Chanyeol let out a quiet scowl. It just came out from him automatically and he doesn't even know why. Maybe he just found it unusual for Ji Eun because she's kind of childish and completely innocent when it comes to 'dating' or being in a 'relationship' because he remembered the time when Ji Eun kind of comforted him and he noticed that she's all fairytales and other unbelievable stuffs, making it obvious the she hasn't been in a relationship. He somehow even wondered if boy-girl relationships exist in her world.

While thinking these things, he somehow came to a conclusion...maybe he's just thinking those things because he's jeal--wait what?! He scrunched his nose and shook off his thoughts while his eyes were still closed. 

Why would he be jealous? He has Minah anyway...

 

Ji Eun placed the paper bag on her lap as she bit her lower lip while Suzy cocked her head to the side and wore a questioning look. "What's that?"

"Luhan bought me a stuffed toy." Ji Eun chimed and fished out the cute toy from the paper bag and handed it to Suzy.

Realizing what Ji Eun had just said, one of Chanyeol's eyes popped open and he took a peek at the so-called stuffed toy. Yes, he can't deny the fact that it's adorable but he was somehow unaware that he was grimacing.

"Omo it's so cute! Well, I guess you're right. Your date is really magical." Suzy chimed and patted the head of the toy.

Ji Eun nodded with those crescent eyes of hers. "I kn--"

"Shhh!" Chanyeol suddenly said out of nowhere, making the girls look at him with irritation.
"What's your problem?" Suzy said with a hint of a challenging tone.

"I can't take a nap because of your noises you know." Chanyeol replied and let out a sigh.

"Then go to your bedroom." Ji Eun wittily replied, making Suzy nodded in agreement. "Yeah, she's right."

"Eish...these girls..." He frustratingly muttered and stood up.

He went out of the room even though there's a part of him that still desires to listen more to their conversation.

 

~:~

 

Monday made its way and the birds were already making their morning tunes. 

After taking their breakfasts and brushing their teeth, the three of them are settled inside the living room, waiting for Soo Ri because she's still changing her clothes. 
Chanyeol was prudently putting on his socks while Suzy was just playing with Ji Eun's damp hair. Out of their trite morning, the door bell suddenly rang, disturbing the three of them and giving them a surprise as well.
"Who could that be..." Suzy mumbled as she stood up from her seat and lazily went outside to see the unexpected guest.

She was somehow expecting that a random passer-by just played with their door bell or a mailman with a bag full of envelopes but when she opened the gate, she became stunned. In front of her was a boy with golden hair and has eyes that hold two brown marbles.

"Luhan!" Suzy exclaimed. Seeing his existence made her awake now.

He gave her a smile and a morning greeting before proceeding to the topic which is the reason why he came.

"Where's Ji--"

"Ji Eun?" Suzy suddenly cut because it was obvious that Luhan's here because of Ji Eun.

He unknowingly rubbed the back of his neck and squint his eyes because of the rays of the rising sun. "Y-yeah...I'm here to pick her up."

Suzy halted him and gave a grin. "Wait here..."

She walked away, leaving the gate open and quickly made her way back inside the house.

"Luhan's here!" Suzy announced, making Ji Eun surprised as well as Chanyeol.

"Don't be such a Pinocchio, Luhan can't be here." Ji Eun replied even though there's a part of her that believes Suzy.

Suzy rolled her eyes. "It's true! Go look!"

Chanyeol ignored the two of them as he suddenly stood up from the couch and walked towards the window that's facing the gate. He gently shoved a small part of the curtain and took a peek outside. Since Suzy left the gate open,  he managed to make out Luhan's figure. He rolled his eyes and went back to the couch, unaware that there was somehing heavy inside him.

"Okay I believe you. I look fine right?" Ji Eun asked Suzy as she straightened her hair using her delicate hands.

Suzy gave her a thumbs up with a wink. 

"Wait, I still need to tell Auntie." Ji Eun remembered Soo Ri but Suzy stopped her. 

"Don't worry, I'll tell her instead." Suzy said with assurance and lead Ji Eun outside. 

Chanyeol just huffed in disbelief and busied himself with his iPod.

Her heartbeat suddenly accelerated when she saw Luhan standing in front of the gate. He gave her a small wave as Ji Eun walked towards him along with Suzy. 

"Good morning..." She greeted while Luhan just smiled before greeting her back.

"Why are you here?" Ji Eun asked out of confusion and curiosity. 

"Picking you up of course." Luhan replied. This is somehow unusual to him now but he needs to get used to it because starting from now, he should always be with her.

"You mean...w-we'll go to school together?" Ji eun naively asked and all could Suzy do is to roll her eyes because she found Ji Eun's question moronic.

Luhan let out a chuckle before giving her a nod.

"Bye Ji Eun, see you at school!" Suzy chimed and closed the gate while Luhan lead Ji Eun towards the car. He opened the door of the back seat and Ji Eun obligingly made her way inside. His driver gave her a morning greeting through the rearview mirror and Ji Eun returned back a smile. Luhan closed the door for her before proceeding to the passenger's seat.

As soon as Suzy walked back inside the house, Soo Ri took her steps downstairs. "Where's Ji Eun?"

"Someone already picked her up." Suzy answered as she put on her knapsack.

Soo Ri wrinkled her brow as she walked towards the center table where the car key was placed. "Who?"

"You know...her soon to be boyfriend." Suzy teased before chuckling.

Soo Ri was too precedented to devote her time about her daughter's reply. "Oh..."

Suzy opened the door for them while Chanyeol somehow huffed in disbelief because he's surpised that Soo Ri didn't mind the news so he just quickly went outside and walked towards the car.

 

Chanyeol decided to sit at the backseat while Suzy settled herself at the passenger's seat.

Suzy the radio and was surprised when the song 'You've got a friend in me' started playing. She and her mom exchanged knowing stares and before they even knew it, the two of them started to sing along. They were kind of off tune but it didn't matter because happiness was shared.

While sitting at the backseat, Chanyeol was somehow sinking into an abyss of his own thoughts. Because of his seriousness, he didn't even notice that he was thinking of Ji Eun and Luhan. Don't get it the wrong way though, it's just that he knew that she's not from this world (which is somehow still unbelievable and complicated for him) Everything happened so quickly that he now found his life as complicated as a rubix cube.

Is it okay for her to love someone here? 

Someone who's not from 'her' world? 

He rubbed his head without even knowing. Things that happened recently were absolutely unbelievable but what could he do? This is his life and he needs to accept it wether he like it or not. All he's got left is to accept it and just go with the flow no matter how complicated it is.

 

The car came to a stop in front of the gate and Luhan opened the door for Ji Eun. He knew he needs to be serious now because today is the day when he will show to everyone that he finally has a girlfriend after drowning himself in the sea of broken hearts...and he wants Minah to see it too.
He wants her to feel the pain of what it is like to be abandoned by someone you love. Revenge is never right but to him, he somehow wants to do it just to let the person know how much it hurts when she left him.

"Let's go?" Luhan said and reached for her hand to help her get out of the car.

When the two of them were finally settled on the ground, Luhan's driver bade his goodbye to them before driving away.

They were twenty minutes early so there were not much of students to be seen. 

They walked slowly without even noticing it. Ji Eun bit her lower lip and glued her eyes on the ground. "Luhan..."

"Mm?" He said with a raised brow and looked at Ji Eun whose head was hung low.

"W-why are you doing this? I mean, what are we? I just can't get it y-you know..." Ji Eun mumbled. She knew it was a ridiculous question that expresses her naivenessbut what could she do? 'Love' has never been her friend in Fantasia that's why she doesn't know it works--not to mention the fact that she's not from this world so maybe 'Love' works here differently.

Luhan was somehow taken aback at her question. He doesn't like this...he doesn't want these questions especially when he knew that their feelings for each other are not the same. But seeing how her head hung low and hearing her stuttering voice, he realized that she's really longing for an answer. 

He stopped himself from walking so Ji Eun did the same. He took a deep breath as he held her shoulders. He gathered a lot of strength just to met those hazelnut eyes of hers and tell lies that will completely fool her. It was hard for him not because he's just feeling guilty...it's just that he realized that Ji Eun had never been in a relationship before that's why it now seems absurd that her first love is a complete lie. It was reckless and mean but because of his bitterness about his past, this is what he had done. That's what happen anyway, when we let the past plants its roots in our hearts, we will start to do things that have the ability to hurt another person. 

"Ji Eun, you said you like me right?" 

She shyly made a nod without removing her gaze at his eyes. 

Luhan pursed his lips before making a smile. "I like you too. That's why we're together now."

I like you too...those words kept repeating on her mind. "So you mean like, we're together as in like a prince and a princess?"

He somehow chuckled at her question. "Yeah, we're in a relationship."

"Ohh..." Ji Eun mumbled and the two of them started to walk again but after a few steps, Ji Eun stopped from her tracks, earning a look from Luhan. 

"Wait, so...I can k-kiss you right?" Ji Eun nervously asked with a heart that's beating fast.

Luhan widened his eyes. "Of course not!"

Ji Eun gave him a surprised look and Luhan just realized what he had done. He let out an awkward laugh. "I mean, it's just that we're just starting. We can't just kiss you know."

"Eh? Why?"

Luhan stared at her and rubbed the back of his neck. "Aah it's too complicated."

"I still haven't kiss someone I love..." Ji Eu mumbled with a pout.

The two of them were finally walking when Luhan took a glimpse at her. Right, he remembered that this is her first time to be in a relationship.

"Ji Eun, just save your first kiss for now." He said and looked ahead.

"Mm?" Ji Eun mumbled and gave him a questioning look even though he's not looking at her.

Luhan can't deny the fact that she's naturally beautiful but it's just that, he doesn't like her because his heart still beats for Minah.

"You know...for wedding." He replied quietly.

Ji Eun just ignored his answer and the both of them walked through the empty hallway.

I don't deserve your first kiss...save it, Ji Eun...save it for someone who truly loves you. 

 

~:~

 

The next four hours passed smoothly but even though Luhan and Ji Eun were just sitting beside each other, they didn't exchange some talk...just knowing stares. Besides, their first three subjects were always discussions. 

When the belll finally rang for break time, Chanyeol went with his friends and when Myungsoo was about to ask Ji Eun, Luhan interrupted and suddenly held her hands, surprising Myungsoo. 

"Well I'll see you later Myungsoo," Ji Eun replied and walked away with Luhan. 

Myungsoo bit his lower lip...they can't be together right?

Ever since she became his classmate, he didn't even see Luhan approach her and now, there they are talking at each other while holding each other's hands. What just happened? What happened during the weekend after the party at Dongwoon's house?"

He shook his head and forced himself that maybe the two of them finally became friends even though there was something heavy inside him.

Luhan and Ji Eun took their orders and when they're finally done, Ji Eun saw Suzy.

"Hey Ji Eun! Ooohh...I smell love." Suzy hummed quietly with wiggling eyebrows. 

Ji Eun just smiled. "I'll eat with yo--"

"Let's go Ji Eun. You should meet my friends." Luhan interrupted and gave a nod to Suzy.

"Ohh..." Ji Eun mumbled.

Before they could walk away, Ji Eun mouthed a 'sorry' to Suzy for not eating snacks with her but Suzy just gave her a smile to let her know that it's okay. 

As they wound their way through the tables, there were some stares and Luhan was glad about it because he wants them to know that they're together and let them tell it to Minah. Chanyeol, who's settled at one of the tables just rolled his eyes and continued to eat. Chanyeol was waiting for Minah to appear but it seems like they're not dismissed yet.

Ji Eun found herself at a table with Luhan and two other guys that she doesn't know except for Sehun.

"Hey guys, this is Ji Eun." Luhan introduced and Ji Eun gave them a smile with a small wave.

"This is Sehun and Kris." 

The two guys gave a greeting nod to her and before they even knew it, they started to have a conversation even though Sehun has an idea about Luhan's plan.

Myungsoo was with his friends but sometimes, he finds himself looking at the table where Ji Eun was seated. 

He was afraid...to accept the thought forming inside his mind.

The thought that tells him that the two of them were in a relationship.

Section B seniors started to pile the cafeteria and Luhan was ready to let Minah see who's beside him so just to add more revelation, he held Ji Eun's hand which is on the table and Ji Eun can't help herself from blushing.

Minah took a seat beside her friends and was somehow surprised when they gave her an unknowing look.

"What's the mattter with you guys?" She asked as she unwrapped her burger.

"Does Luhan finally has a girlfriend?" One of her friends asked, whose name is Sujin.

Minah weirdly looked at them. She knew that Luhan somehow still loves her. "What're you talking about?"

"Duhh, look at him, twelve o'clock." Sujin replied, making Minah looked ahead of her and there, she saw Luhan sitting with a girl that she barely recognizes.

Something inside her churned as she took a deep breath. "C'mon, maybe it's just his friend."

"But I saw them holding each other's hands a while ago." Her other friend muttered.

Minah bit her lower lip.

This can't be.

He still loves her...right?

 

~:~

 

When dismissal finally came, half of the students in their school finally came to the conclusion that the both of them are in a relationship.

"Hey, come with me." Luhan said when the two of them went out of their room.

"Where?" Ji Eun asked.

"At the library. Let's study together for tomorrow's quiz." 

"But auntie will pic--"

"Don't worry, I'll be the one who'll send you home." He replied with a smile, hoping to to convince her.

Ji Eun nodded and went back inside the room to talk to Chanyeol who's still copying some notes.

"Chanyeol, I won't go home with you guys today." She informed as she stood beside him.

He stopped himself from writing and gave her a look. "Why not?"

"Luhan and I will study at the library."

He rolled his eyes. Oh right, Luhan...yeah.

"How will you go home then?" He asked.

"He'll send me home." Ji Eun answered with assurance.

"Yeah yeah whatever." He muttered and started to copy again, ignoring her presence.

She took it as a yes and went out of the classroom.

 

Ji Eun was about to enter the library when Myungsoo just got out. She widened her eyes. "Myungsoo!"

He gave her a smie when he realized that she's with Luhan and walked away without even saying goodbye, making Ji Eun wrinkled her brow. *What's the matter with him?*

She settled herself on one of the tables while Luhan walked towards the shelves to look for a book that will help the two of them.

He was checking a table of contents of a book when he heard someone called his name. That familiar sweet voice.

Throughout this day, his heart finally beated fast. Luhan spun around and saw Minah holding some books.

As much as he wanted to hug her, he gave her a nod. "Hey,"

"Studying?"

"Yeah...with my girlfriend." Luhan replied.

And there it goes, Minah heard her heart shattering into pieces. "Ohh...so the rumour's true then?"

"Huh?"

"That you have a girlfriend..." Minah mumbled.

He gave her a nod and since he's finally satisfied that he made Minah jealous, he walked away but suddenly stopped.

"H-how...I mean..w-when?" Minah asked, trying not to let her tears fall.

"Why are you asking?" 

"It's jus--"

"Impossible for me to move on?" Luhan cut as he tightened his grip around the book.

*It's just that I thought you still love me...* Minah pursed her lips, she doesn't want to sound so desperate. 

Just before she can reply, someone called Luhan and the both of them looked to their right and saw a smiling Ji Eun.

Minah steadied herself. Here she was, witnessing pain right in front of her eyes.

"Hey," Luhan greeted as he ruffled her hair.

Minah looked at Ji Eun from head to toe...she was surely pretty.

"So this is Ji Eun, my girlfriend." Luhan introduced, unaware that he's hurting Minah so much.

"O-oh...I'm Minah. Nice to meet you Ji Eun." She said even though she can't believe at the fact that she's talking to the girl who finally has the rights to love and care for Luhan.

Realizing what her name was, Ji Eun widened her eyes. "Oh so you're Chanyeol's girlfriend?"

Luhan and Minah were taken aback at her answer as memories embraced the two of them. 

Minah just gave a weak smile. "N--"

"We need to go. See you around." Luhan said and walked away with Ji Eun.

Minah looked at the two of them as she cursed herself for being so slow and immature...Luhan was now near at her but his heart is now far from her and she felt like she's an abandoned puppy in the middle of a city.

That day, a heart rejoiced while two hearts were broken...all because of a heart that's full of bitterness and anger.


Sorry...