Weapon

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

chapter six; 
                  gamble

 

 

It was a cold winter day and you thought you’ll have luck on your side. Hopefully, you’ll get another one of those special liquors that you love; the ones that were illegally smuggled from China. To support the local alcohol makers, the king had already banned any trading or buying of any liquor from other countries. What he did not know is that the people were using too much of their rice to make soju and not saving much to eat. Instead of helping them, it just made them worse.

 

Your choice of preference was not that the liquor from China tasted better than the local one. Truthfully, there was nothing special with it but the mere thought that it was smuggled meant that it was rare, making itself more appealing to your tastebuds than its local counterpart.

 

“I win again.”

 Unfortunately, Yifan already placed a checker piece on its spot, killing the last of your live ones. He was smirking, celebrating his fourth victory in a row as you sighed in heavy frustration.

“I already have your hair ribbon, ornament and pin. What will you give this time?”

 

“How about my money?”

You pulled a pouch of money from your side, placing it to his eye level and letting him have a look.

“There are 1000 yuans in here. You can take it all.”

 

“That money is not yours, you just inherited that. No, I don’t accept money. I already have a lot of those.”

He sat next to you and began playing and tugging the ribbon of your hanbok, making your heart stop at every tug.

“But… you can take off this top and show me your skin. Just a little will be enough. I’m curious of how it looks like. I heard a woman’s skin glows softly like a pearl.”

 

“No!”

Your eyes widened and your arms tensed as you froze, paralyzed. He can’t take a look, no one can! You tried to calm yourself and quickly regained composure.

 

He was taken by surprise and accidentally pulled the ribbon, letting loose of the knot that it held.

“I’m sorry. I was joking. I didn’t know you’d take it that far.”

He chuckled looking into your eyes.

 

“I am not a kisaeng, a low class that could easily show you skin.”

You stared into his strong and alluring eyes while trying to fix your hanbok.

 

“You’re no fun. Give me your identification then.”

He whispered in to ear, letting you feel his hot breath.

 

“You already know my name.”

You said to him, confused.

 

“I still want it though. It’s yours.”

His voice was playful and deep, seducing you and making your heart beat fast.

 

You got your identification from the sleeves of your hanbok. It was a simple wooden plate that contained your name, Roh Jieun.

 

“Agassi! There you are, gambling again with Yifan!”

An old lady, your attendant, found you again. She was cranky, as always, and her grey hair was pulled into a long braid; making her look like a witch.

 

She pulled you out of Yifan’s house, letting your face feel the cold breeze. The snow was falling on your pitch black hair. They were pale and white, glowing; just like your skin.

“Don’t you know what the people would say when they found out that you are always spending your time here? What did you lose this time? Your modesty?”

 

“Ajumma! Stop saying things like that!”

 

“It’s true! Secretly meeting each other, don’t lovers do that?”

She raised an eyebrow, looking into you with sharp eyes that seem to bore a hole to your soul. She was scary but you love her and you know she loves you too. That’s why she’s like that.

“We’re not lovers.”

 

We can’t be.

 

 

-

 

 

“Jieun! Don’t you know how worried I was?”

He hugged you and placed a lingering kiss on your right cheek. This man was your brother, Jihoon; your fraternal twin brother to be exact. Unlike other people’s perception of twins, you didn’t look the same but the both of you are somewhat similar. He has almond shaped eyes and thin yet enticing lips just like yours but his jawline was much more defined, manly. His height too, was far taller than yours, towering over you. At first glance, the both of you didn’t even look like twins at all.

 

“I just went out to buy powder, Jihoon. You don’t need to worry so much. We’re grown-ups now.”

Let out a frustrated sigh and rolled your eyes. He was your brother yet he acts like he is your father. He was too… responsible.

 

“But what would I do if I’m not there to protect you?”
His eyebrows furrowed and his expression turned dark.

 

“I can protect myself. You don’t need to do that! My hands are not that innocent now because of you.”

You tried to get out of his sight but it was no use. He pulled you by the wrist, making you look him in the eye.

 

“Because of me?”

He darkly chuckled and started kissing your hands, smelling them and firmly placing his lips in your pulse.

“It’s because of them! They deserve to die!”

 

You didn’t respond and just blankly stared at him. You know his pain. The day your parents were brutally murdered, he was the sole witness. The old lady had woken you up and forgot Jihoon that night. She hid and kept you inside her house while you didn’t know why you had to be taken away from your home. The next day, you saw that your mother was brutally stabbed and stripped off all clothing while Jihoon was covered in blood, eyes wide and his arms were cradling the decapitated head of your father. You didn’t speak or ate for three days while he harbored his anger up until now.

 

“I know, brother. I know.”

You reached out to his head and patted him; effectively calming his tensed nerves.

 

“Sister, why do you have to lie to me? You didn’t go out to buy powder. I felt it in your pulse.”

He whispered and looked at you, his eyes were sharp and piercing; contrasting his smiling face.

“But I forgive you.”

 

 

-

 

 

The rich merchant didn’t know that he was the next target of the killer as he innocently wandered through the garden of his large household. It was dark and only the light of his lamp lit the way; making it a perfect killer’s hunting ground.

 

He waited and waited for the right time and with the merchant going though the heavily bushed parts of the garden, it was ideal for him. Someone could be killed there and not be found for hours. His target dropped a coin. Being greedy, it bent down to find the coin; lighting the ground and letting the surrounding parts turn pitch black. The killer was given his much anticipated advantage.

 

A hawk screeched. It was his signal. He then got behind the merchant that was now kneeling, desperate to find the golden coin. He slashed its throat quickly and swiftly with a single bladed sword. It was a beautiful yet gruesome sight; the warm red color spilling and scattering against the paleness of the cold snow. He didn’t let out a sigh or bat an eyelash. His partner, the hawk, rested contently on his shoulder staring at the dead body; looking down upon the creature that was too weak to defend itself. Within seconds, the killer was out of the household; without a single trace.

 

 

-

 

 

“Have you heard? A merchant was killed inside his home yesterday.”

He said as he poured liquor into your cup.

“You better take care of yourself.”

 

“I don’t like to bother myself with those trivial things. You shouldn’t let it bother you too.”

You stared at him deadpan; your eyes containing nothing, blank. You tried to change the topic. You didn’t want such gruesome topic to  be mentioned especially when you were drinking such liquor of good quality.

“The next wager, I want to have all my belongings back.”

 

“In return, I’ll ask you of something more important to you than your identification if I win.”

Yifan said as you poured another round of liquor in his cup and stared deeply into your eyes. Of course, giving back the things that had been lost for wagers in one go is a large gamble. He’d want to have something that will be hard to give in return.

 

“What will it be then?”

You asked him swirling the contents of your cup, trying to focus on the conversation. You weren’t as sane as you were before as the alcohol had already blurred your senses as the both of you had been drinking for a while now.

 

“Your heart. I just want to know how it feels like having your heart. We will play as lovers. It will be a good game for both of us.”

He carelessly smiled at you, wanting to kiss those lips that were already red from all the liquor you consumed.

 

“I don’t have one to give you though.”

 

“Then, I’ll teach you how to have one. After that, you must certainly promise me that you’ll give it to me.”

His face was nearing yours. Slightly drunk, you looked more beautiful and exquisite than you already are to his eyes. You didn’t have  innocent beauty like other girls. Instead, you have that mature and seductive aura around you. You have those alluring and charismatic eyes that are envied by any kisaeng; appealing you to him the first time he saw you.

 

You didn’t reply and continued staring blankly at the clear liquor, observing every invisible detail. You swirled the liquid in its cup and had let it near your lips, letting it drown in the fiery tang of the runny crystal.

 

“More.”

You quickly said as you finished the contents inside the porcelain cup. You weren’t thinking anymore. Everything was blurry and smelt of the alcohol that seemed to be more like sweet nectar the you consume.

 

“You shouldn’t be drinking so much. Slow down.”

Although hesitant, he complied with your request and poured more liquor into your cup. Again, after receiving the liquid, you quickly downed it in one shot.

 

“Another one.”

The two of you had been drinking for a while now. Drunk, you groggily stared at him; your gaze unsteady because of all the alcohol.

 

“Stop it.”

 

Frustrated, you grabbed the vessel from his hand. Pouring more into your cup but he grabbed the cup away from your hand and drank all of its contents.

 

“My liquor, that’s my liquor.”

Your eyes were teary and you started beating his chest.

“Why did you drink it?”

 

“I just said you need to take care of yourself. You shouldn’t let your guard down.”

He whispered and took you into his arms; strong yet comforting.

“Especially when you’re with me. I might attack you.”

 

 

-

 

 

“Aah! We can’t do this, Jihoon.”

The woman moaned, her eyes half lidded with arousal as your brother kissed her nape.

“My husband may found out if other people hear us.”

 

“Let him then, don’t you like me better?”

He smirked at her and continued showering her back with his kisses.

“Can I ask you of something?”

 

“Anything! Just. Don’t. Stop!”

He was driving her crazy; the pleasure putting her at the edge of insanity.

 

“When does your husband come home? I want to know until when I can hold you in my arms like this.”

He had already undressed her. Every piece of her clothing was piled on the floor.

 

“You ert.”

She tried to open that was holding her moans and breathlessly answered the man who was behind her and putting his weight on her back.

“He’ll come back in two day’s time or so… Ahh! You’ll kill me. Don’t be so rough!”

 

“Don’t you like it?”

He whispered seductively, making her squirm from the sensation his deep voice brought her.

“Dying in pleasure is the most delightful way to die.”

 

“Wha..”

Before she can utter a word, her warm breath was finished. The toes that were curling with pleasure earlier had been steady, lifeless and her cheeks that were flushed earlier had instantly become pale. The plain white sheets had been stained with scarlet.

 

“Sweet dreams, my Lady.”

He said as he placed one last kiss on her back, chuckling as he did.

“May your husband have those sweet dreams too, soon.”

 

 

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

Finally! My Kris chapter is up! I've been busy in Korea for the past weeks so I've not been able to update early, hope you like this chapter ^^

Jihoon gives me the creeps, I didn't even know how his character turned out to be like that.

Please comment and subscribe, I want to hear from you~