Memories

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

Chapter one; 
   remember me

 

The king smiled gently as he held your hand and smiled as you tried to analyze his features. His wrinkles are showing that he must be at least 70 years old. His eyes are kind showing his clean intent. And his hands, soft but has calluses on the fingertips. He must know how to fire an arrow. A perfect image of an experienced and charismatic old man.

 

“I don't want to involve myself with politics, your highness.”

You removed your hands from his as you refused his offer. You don't want to enjoy such honor from the king while rejecting him.

 

“But I'm not asking you to be involved with politics, Lady Han. I'm asking you to be involved with my grandchild.”

 

 ”Being involved with your grandchild and being involved with politics is the same thing, your highness.”

You held your head a little lower as you began to feel ashamed of your present attitude towards the king. He even personally came to your family's house to ask you to be the chosen prince's bride. And now, you are harshly rejecting the offer any girl would die for. Of course, you have your own reasons. One reason is that you know the mere fact that being inside the palace gates alone involves you in the mess of Korean politics, meaning that one small mistake may end your life. The other reason is that you don’t want to be caged inside the palace.

 

“This is why I chose you, Lady Han. You are different than the other qualified women. You are intelligent and feisty. A rumor also said that you are a genius who memorized the analects of Confucius at an early age of five and as I am speaking to now, your smart replies proved the truth of this rumor. Plus, I also want to find a good looking lady for my grandson.”

He leaned a little closer to your ear, whispered then chuckled like a child; contrasting his aged features.

“Only few ladies of the noble class are as good looking as you too.”

 

“Your flattery will get you nowhere my king.”

 You are still firm in your decision. You don't want to get mixed with the complicated and messy politics of the monarchy. Your father almost got killed once as he was mistakenly thought to be involved in a prince’s murder. But of course, you don’t want to get the king angry and risk your father’s job and your family’s social status in return.

 

 ”Lady Han, I assure you, you will be the wife of one of my grandson. I'm very stubborn and I don't take a no for an answer.”

 The king said as he took his leave from your quarters. Surprisingly, he seemed calm. Maybe he did get your father’s approval and just wanted to talk to you.

 

“Very well, Your Highness.”

You bowed your head. He is indeed a strange old man, choosing such an unlady-like woman for the prince.

 

 

-

 

 

You sighed as you were nearing the palace entrance. Your father already had your mother prepare your best hanbok ready after the king left your quarters. He even said to the old man that you'll be in the palace the next day, that is why you are here today despite of all your efforts to reject this arrangement.

 

“Minister Han and his daughter are here!”

The soldier announced as the servant girl ushered you through the palace. It was definitely bigger than you imagined. You passed through a majestic bridge over a pond that had the most beautiful water lilies. Surprisingly, the bridge led to the main hall of the palace grounds where the main functions are held. There you saw the king in his bright red palace robes along with his servants and ministers, he displayed a different image than of yesterday.

 

“I know you won't disappoint me, Lady Minyoung.”

The king smiled brightly at his victory. He knew that despite your stubbornness, you can’t resist your father who has been protecting his position very well.

 

“I don't have a choice, Your Highness.”

 

“I told you so, my child.”

 

“You are right, Your Highness.”

You smiled at his cockiness, he seemed like a proud young king who had just been practicing his power over his people.

 

“And you, Minister Han, had raised a fine young woman.”

 

“Thank you, Your Highness.”

Your father giggled like a little girl. Sure, you heard him laugh before but you never knew he can giggle; especially like that.

 

“Let's wait for my grandson, he should be here soon enough.”

 

True enough, you heard the galloping of horses. It was the prince and his servants. It was easy to spot the prince with his blue robe embroidered with a golden dragon somewhat similar to the king's.

 

“I'm sorry for my delay, my King.”

The prince bowed to the king. He resembled his grandfather's gentle eyes.

 

“Prince Joonmyeon, this is Lady Han Minyoung, your bride.”

 

“It's a pleasure to meet my bride, Lady Minyoung.”

Joonmyeon smiled at you, turning his gentle round eyes into upside-down crescent shapes. He also has strong eyebrows that contrasted his milky skin. You noticed he was rather short too, but you didn’t mind because you are still noticeably shorter than him.

 

“Likewise.”

You tried to hide your face from him. Why did he sound so familiar to you? You didn’t know.

 

“Do you want to ride my horse?”

Joonmyeon was nervous as well. He began to speak random words just like anyone put into an awkward situation.

 

“Can I?”

You marvelled at the beauty of the horse. It was the most beautiful creature you’ve ever seen. It was a cream colored stallion with a magnificent built. It should be nice to learn how to ride a horse for a change, you thought.

 

“You can take her anywhere you wanted when the two of you get married.”

The king's words took the both of you back to your senses. You heard Joonmyeon sigh and did you just see him pout? He seems nice and kind. You felt relief as he looks like he is not a prince who is snobby and thinks too highly of himself.

 

“Can we take a walk together then?”

He asked, his eyes sparkling. He looks very handsome this way. He is familiar, very familiar indeed. Who knows, maybe you’ve seen someone who looks like him.

 

“Not until the both you get married. For now, let Lady Han rest in her quarters so that she can prepare for tomorrow.”

You groaned internally, you want to know the person beside you. You wanted to know the person you are getting married to. You didn’t think the marriage would be so soon. But then again, the prince and you are an arranged couple, just like any other royal marriage.

 

 

-

 

 

The both of you managed to get through the tiresome ceremonies of the wedding. You are now at your shared room, your attendants serving you your meal. You noticed that Joonmyeon has been continuously looking at you like he wanted to ask you something. Finally, the attendants left the both of you alone.

 

“By any chance, had you seen me before we met yesterday?”

Joonmyeon asked as he began to pick a persimmon from the platter. He looked into your eyes, as if he's looking for signs of recognition. His eyes are you really beautiful, they shined like they have stars in them and they looked really happy and honest. You can stare at those eyes forever and you won’t still get enough of it.

 

“I've never been inside the palace walls before, Your Highness.”

You began to lower your head. You don’t want him seeing you ogling him.

 

“Are you sure? Haven't you tried sneaking inside the palace, even just once?”

 

“I'm sure of it, Your Highness.”

 

“I see.”

The sparkle in his eyes began to fade. You asked yourself if there is something that you should remember about him. Of course, that would be impossible; you've only met for the first time yesterday. There would be no way that you would recognize him before.

 

“Minyoung, you shouldn't call me so formally when we're alone. Call me by my name. You are my wife now. Also, don't look down when you talk to me. I want to look at your face. I am blessed to have a beautiful wife like you.”

 

“Those sweet words, I don’t deserve them; but I understand, Your Highness.”

 

“Call me by my first name, Minyoung.”

He encouraged you more. He wanted you to be familiar with his name. He wanted to hear your voice calling out to him in his real name as everyone in the palace calls him with honorifics, it would be refreshing to hear his beloved wife call him when they’re alone and together.

 

“Yes, Joonmyeon.”

You let his name roll in your tongue, savoring and familiarizing yourself with it.

 

“Come here by my side.”

You obediently did as he told. You’re not scared of him as he seemed gentle. Moreover, he is your husband now, you should be accustomed with his presence.

 

You saw his face nearing yours, then you felt his warm lips on your cheeks. He then looked into your eyes.

“Give your heart to me, as I had already given mine yours. Let me love you. I'll promise to protect you forever.”

His eyes are gentle but are now mixed with a tinge of lust. He then placed a peck of your lips.

“Speak to me more. I want to hear your voice, it's music to my ears. Smile for me every day just to take all my worries away”

 

 ”As you wish.”

You smiled at him. He sounds like he’s uttering words from a romantic poem. Those words that came of his mouth just made your heart melt; not because they are lovely but because they sound very sincere.

 

“Give yourself to me. Tonight we are not prince and princess but man and woman.”

He closed the gap between the as he kissed your lips, placing his hands at the back of your neck and the other one at your face. The kiss was chaste; gentle yet passionate. His warmth is comforting. How long has it been when you had someone to hug? Since you were a little child?

 

You felt him pull the ribbon of your hanbok. He then kissed to crook of your neck, inhaling your scent and sending in a wonderful sensation which you never felt before. No matter how much you liked it, your instincts got the best of you and pushed him away with all your strength. Not wanting to take you by force, he let you go.

 

“I'm sorry.”

Your tried to get away from him and pulled your clothes together, covering your exposed chest. You felt yourself tremble.

 

“It’s alright.”

His eyebrows begin to furrow. You began to see worry in his eyes. He was panicking internally, wondering if his actions had scared you.

 

“I’m afraid.”

 

“Afraid of what?”

He didn’t know how he would act and it pained him to see you being vulnerable because of him.

 

“This, all of this.”

 

“Don't be.”

He pulled you back into his arms with a hug, comforting you with his gentle warmth.

 

“How can't I be afraid with a stranger?”

Your tears are threatening to fall. You felt sorry for him. You felt sorry for treating the current source of your comfort like a stranger. But this is going too fast, you don’t even know this man beside his name and position.

 

“I'm not a stranger.”

He hugged you tighter, putting you at ease. You fell asleep that way, relying in the comfort of his warmth. You didn't hear his next words.

“You'll remember me again, Minyoung. And when you do, you won't be afraid of me.”

 

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

Suho trying to undress you! Kyaa! But seriously, I'd rather undress him! *ert author-nim activated*

Please comment and subscribe ^^ Share your thoughts, I would really appreciate it! I need ideas to keep this going!

 

PS. And yes, this was already posted a week ago as I had seen it seemed to rushed and it had major *ahem* slight repetitions plus, I feel like writing in first person doesn’t show the emotions of the other characters that much. Please, please comment ^^