Chapter 5

You Make Me Fall In Love, Be Responsible!

Eunjung was having dinner together with her parents. ‘Wow, mom’s cooking skills have been improving day by day. Love u, mom. Hee hee.’

            ‘This kid, when are you learning to cook? You can’t always depend on me. Look at your age.’ Her mother filled more rice into Eunjung’s dad’s bowl.

            ‘Omma, I’m still young & busy with my thesis. Why? Are you already bored of taking care of your only daughter? Hmph…I’m sad now. Appa, you’re the only one who loves me.’ Eunjung kissed her dad’s cheek.

            Her dad smiled, ‘Yeobo, don’t be harsh on our kid. She’ll learn one day. Ah, right, Seung Ki is coming back tomorrow from US. I just learned today at the company.’ Eunjung’s dad was one of the shareholders in his older brother’s company in which case Lee Seung Gi was his nephew. Lee Seung Gi graduated from Havard University; bright, brilliant & capable he was; who was considered to be the future inheritor of the company. He went back & forth frequently from Korea to overseas for the company’s sake to get cooperation with other foreign companies.

            ‘Really, I have to go to him to get presents. If he didn’t buy me any, he’ll be dead. I’ll torture him. Wa… ha… ha…’ Eunjung laughed at her own words. Her mom hit her head. ‘Aigoo, when’ll this brat mature? Now, clear the table & clean all the plates in the basin.’

            ‘Arasseo, omma.’ Eunjung replied, her hair & grabbed the plates one by one.She hummed quietly to herself ‘Go Crazy because of you’ & brought herself to the cleaning. ‘Omma, when I’m done with this, do I make you some lemon juice? You two have to be in healthy shape so that you can live with me for a long time.’ She shouted to her mom, who was now watching some TV dramas, her dad reading newspapers. ‘Ok, my lovely kid. Don’t make it too sweet.’

            After dinner, Eunjung went to her room and continued on her unfinished project. While she was just writing conclusion in her assignment, her phone beeped beside her laptop. Ji Yeon’s name appeared on the phone screen. She wondered what the matter is as she picked it up.

            ‘Ji Yeon?’

            On the other side of the phone, Ji Yeon sighed deeply. ‘Ew, Eun Jung-ah…Are you busy? Can I talk to you for a while?’

            ‘Sure! Why not?’ Eunjung clicked the sleep mode button on her laptop and leaned against the pillow on her bed.

            ‘Phew…I just want to release some anger. Though you’re single, you’re great at giving relationship’s advice, aren’t you?’

            Instantly, Eun Jung guessed it must be about So Hyun. It was always like this. Ji Yeon and So Hyun loved each other dearly despite their parents’ opposition. The latter was not as well-off as the former so it was no wonder her father disagreed their relationship. So Hyun had to endure all the hardships just to be with her. ‘First, tell me your problem.’

            Again, Eun Jung heard her sigh from the other side. ‘We quarreled this evening. And then everything was slipping right out of my hands. Now, I don’t believe he love me anymore.’

            ‘Ji Yeon-ah, first, calm down. Your heart and mind must be in peace to consider clearly. Second, you’ve already known that he (So Hyun) tried everything just for you. Without love, there’s no way he can grin and bear with these obstacles you two are facing now. Right?’

            For a second or two, no response came from Ji Yeon. Then, she started to pour out all her sorrows for him. ‘Yeah, it’s not like I don’t know his difficulties. I’ve tried to stay in his shoes so it hurts my heart. Eunjung-ah, I’m tired too. Staying between my parents and my boyfriend…I love him so much. I…’She can’t even continue her sentence. Eunjung could hear her friend sobbing quietly. She also felt sorry for her two friends since she could do nothing for them. She just let Ji Yeon cry as much as she wanted. Tears began to prick her eyes and she batted her eyelids a few times. After a few words, they ended the call and Eunjung sat on the bed till midnight thinking about her 2 friends’ future.

 

            The next morning at Seoul  International Airport

            The airport was packed with people from different countries busy like bees as usual. ‘I’m finally home!’ exclaimed Lee Seung Gi in a full suit, carrying his bag on his shoulder and dragging his luggage by his side. He specifically told his employers not to pick him up. He walked out of the airport entrance and hailed a cab. So far, he had never in a serious relationship. He had about two or three girlfriends but those did not last long. All that he had in mind was about his company. To sum up, he had no idea about love. There was not a girl who could shake his heart up yet. He also thought it was not time for him to settle yet. The longer way the taxi went on, the deeper he was in floods of thoughts.

             At the Uni

            ‘Great news! Guess what?’ Eunjung happily spoke to Shin Hye while they were dining in the canteen. The others (friends) could not join them as they had their projects respectively.

            ‘What?’ Shin Hye questioned back in wide eyes. ‘It can’t be? Is he back?’

            Eunjung nodded her head several times with a triumph smile like she had just won gold medal. In fact, Shin Hye was one of popular girls in the uni. So many boys had asked her out ever since they had started their first year. Who wouldn’t? To a fashionable, sophisticated and modern girl like her. But she cleverly avoided those boys for the sake of her cousin.

            Eunjung said, ‘Should we go to surprise him without calling him first? How about this evening after we finished classes?’

            ‘Emm, I’ve dance lessons today.’ Shin Hye pouted her lips.

            ‘Ah, right. I forgot your dance tuition. But we have to visit. We haven’t seen him like a year or two.’

            Shin Hye chortled. ‘Don’t be overacting, my fri. It’s only six months. Alright, I’ve to cancel mine, there’s no choice.’ She sipped her juice and smiled like a fool.

            ‘This girl, you’re enjoying too much. Remember, though you like him so much, I’m always your no. 1. Arasseo?’ Eunjung playfully warned her, eating a slice of apple.

 

            At the company, Seung Gi was having a meeting with the shareholders. As soon as the meeting ended, he phoned his friends to let them know he was back. ‘Hello, my friend. It’s me. Yes, I’m now in Korea. ----- Let’s have a get-together. ----- No, come to my company first. Then, we’ll decide where to go. Ok? Bye.’ He ordered his secretary to clear his evening schedule. And he went back to his documents.

            Unknowingly, the evening dragged by itself. The sky was now orange colour, the sun emitting golden rays preparing to leave the sky and to delegate his duty to the moon.

            ‘Unni, Annehyeseo,is oppa in his room?’ Eunjung asked his secretary while dragging Shin Hye.

            She smiled, ‘Oh, Eunjung, it’s been a long time not seeing you. Yes, he’s not off work yet. He’s waiting for his friends.’

            ‘Thanks, unni,’ they said, pushing the door wide open.

            ‘OPPA,’ Eunjung greeted Seung Gi loudly and hugged him. Shin Hye stood aside, smiling widely. ‘Oppa, Anyohyeseo, it’s been a while.’

            Seung Gi was in awe, unable to say anything. ‘Oh, hello, Shin Hye.’ He jokingly pinched Eunjung’s cheek. ‘This kid, why didn’t you phone me first?’

            ‘Oppa, do you have present for me? Now, give me quickly. If you didn’t bring anything, I will kill you,’ Eunjung was spreading her hands out towards him.

            ‘Of course, I have, you brat, & also for Shin Hye.’ Seung Gi took out two Chanel perfume bags, ‘Here.’

            ‘Oppa, love you.’

            ‘Oppa, thank you very much.’

            Those three were chatting happily while drinking fruit juice prepared by the secretary.

            Meanwhile, the door bursted open and the person , Eunjung least expected, came in along with other people.

            Seung Gi stood up from his seat and welcomed his visitors. ‘Oh, you all are here. Come and sit. Let me introduce my cousin, Eun Jung and her friend, Shin Hye.’ He said, gesturing towards the seats.  ‘Jae Joong, it’s been a long time not seeing you. How are you doing?’ He hugged Jae Joong.

            ‘I’m alright. How about you? Are you still single, man?’ Jae Joong poked fun at his friend.

            ‘Yes, I’m still alone. I heard you are working at Seoul University. Speaking of which, do you know my sister. She’s also at that Uni.’ He asked Jae Joong, not knowing the two girls were petrified at their own seats.

            Shin Hye first got up quickly and stood her friend up. ‘Nice to meet you, sir. We’ve been at one of your dissection lessons and it was really great.’

            ‘Thank you, Shin Hye-ssi. You two are welcome to ask me what you don’t understand.’

            Yoo Chun, Jun Su and Chang Min were silently drinking  juices brought by the secretary.

And then Yoo Chun broke the silence. ‘Eun Jung-ssi, are you sick? You look pale.’

            Eun Jung politely replied him. ‘No, Yoo Chun-oppa, I’m ok. By the way, I remembered I have things left to do. Oppa, I’m going home. Is that ok?’

            ‘Why? You two can join us. We are having a little party though we haven’t decided where to go.’ Seung Gi told her. ‘But if you have to go, I’m alright.’

            ‘Then, I’ll take a leave from here.’ Eun Jung said, grabbing her handbag and gift. ‘Jun Su-oppa, Yoo Chun-oppa, Chang Min-oppa and Jae Joong sir, I’ll go now. It’s nice to see you.’ Eun Jung forced a smile and hurried out of the room. She heard Shin Hye saying good bye to her cousin and friends on the way out.