Chapter 9

You Make Me Fall In Love, Be Responsible!

            ‘What are you doing here?’

            Jo Kwon was startled by a petite girl who was scowling at him, placing her hands on her hips. He was bending forward to smell white lilies among the flower pots.

            ‘Ah, Hyomin, you scared me. Of course, I’m visiting you. For what reason am I here?’

            She snorted. ‘And do you think I’d believe you? Go back now. My sister is not here. Please come again next time, Customer.’ She faked a bow to him like she was a waitress or something.

            ‘Yaah, don’t be stingy to me. In fact, I came here because I miss your sister’s cooking. And don’t lie to me. I’ve just met your sister. She said to watch her shop while she’s doing lunch. So, just let me today, ok? I’m really hungry,’ Jo Kwon pleaded.

            Just when Hyomin was about to protest, her sister Boram came in, wearing a light pink and black checkers apron and holding a ladle.

            She then noted the situation and scolded Hyomin. ‘Hyomin-ah, don’t be mean to Jo Kwon. I invited him to join our lunch. Now, go lay the plates and prepare the dishes.’

            ‘Unnie, it’s because you don’t know his intention. He’s…’ Her conversation was suddenly stopped by Jo Kwon covering with his hands. He smiled awkwardly and told Boram, ‘I’ll prepare with her, noona. Don’t worry. She’s just lazy to do so.’ Then, Hyomin was practically dragged by Jo Kwon to the kitchen. ‘Come, come, Hyomin. Of course, I’ll help you. You don’t have to ask me.’ His hand was still on . He was too afraid she would blurt out his carrying a torch for Boram.

            Boram was laughing so hard for what happened to her sister and Jo Kwon. ‘They’re so cute together. Why couldn’t they go out yet, I wonder?’ She then followed them to the kitchen room.

 

            For Eun Jung, the morning after the exam was the most beautiful period. Everything looked serene and peaceful. She was woken by the tweeting noise of songbirds on a bunch of an oak tree near her bedroom’s window. She left her bed, drew out the curtain and enjoyed the view from her room.

            Since the season was Fall now, wherever she looked, every tree was green and fresh. They were beautifully decorated with green leaves by the Mother Nature. She could still see the water drops from last night rain over the ground.

            ‘Eun Jung, are you awake now? You’ve to go to Uni, haven’t you?’ She heard her mother calling from downstairs.

            She then went to the bathroom after replying to her mom, ‘Yes, mom. I’ll be ready in ten minutes.’

 

At the Campus

            Eun Jung first went to the canteen since Shin Hye texted to meet her before going to the class. As it was early morning, only a few students were eating their breakfast. She scanned the room for Shin Hye and found her in the corner of the room.

            She thought, ‘Why is she wearing sunglasses under the roof?’

            ‘Hi, Shin Hye-ah, did you have fun yesterday? And I do remember my promise to compensate for you. So what do you want to do after lectures? Tell me.’

            Shin Hye was still not responding to her questions and staring blankly to the outside.

            ‘Are you mad at me? Please, my friend, you’re my best friend. You should understand my condition.’

            Shin Hye then turned to see Eun Jung and said, ‘No, I’m not mad at you, friend. I’m just sad.’ Eun Jung sensed that Shin Hye’s words were somewhat cracked like she was crying.

            ‘Why?’

            She then took off her sunglasses and placed them on the table.

            Eun Jung then noticed her friend’s puffy and swollen red eyes. Her face was paler than usual and she had nothing on her for make-up.

She was terrified because she rarely saw her in such sorrowful state. Her friend was usually so bright and cheerful. What she just looked now sitting in front of her was lifeless.

             ‘What happened to you? Did something bad occur in your family?’

             She shook her head and said, ‘No, everything’s fine at home. I told you, I’ll watch movies and have dinner alone since you’re not coming with me, right?’

             She nodded and showed her approval.

             ‘And I booked a table at that sushi restaurant I’ve been dying to eat. There, I met Seung Gi oppa.’

              Eun Jung interrupted. ‘But why are you so sad? Isn’t it a good thing? Did you two have sushi together?’

              Shin Hye’s eyes were now welled up with shiny tears. ‘I’d be really happy if it was so. But it’s not. He’s not alone. He was dining with a pretty woman. It was like they were going on a date.’

               ‘What?’ Eun Jung was now surprised by Shin Hye claiming his cousin to have a girlfriend. Since it was a long time Seung Gi in a relationship, she was afraid her friend’s heart would be broken if what she said was true.

               ‘Are you sure? Really, really sure? Can’t it be they are in a business meeting? You know him. He’s really hardworking and has lots of work partners.’ Eun Jung tried to reassure Shin Hye.

                Shin Hye replied in a dejected state. ‘At first, I thought the same with what you’ve said now. So I went and greeted him and asked what he was doing there.’ Then she broke down and her tears were flowing freely from her two big eyes.

                Eun Jung got up from her seat and wiped her tears with tissue papers. ‘Shin Hye-ah, don’t cry. Others will think strangely of you.’ The students in the room were now turning their attention to them, whispering. She then patted Shin Hye’s back and attempted to relax her.

                Shin Hye continued the conversation. ‘He greeted me back and introduced the woman to me as his fiancée. He of course asked me to join them. She also requested me to do so as Seung Gi oppa is insisting.’

                She was still sobbing though she was no longer crying. ‘But do you think I can in my situation? I was so shocked I wished I could vanish right there. My words were stumbled out of order and I don’t remember how I left them or how I got home. Eun Jung-ah, I’m so ashamed of myself.’

                She then hugged her like a child in desperate need of a mother when in loss of his beloved. Eun Jung did not know what to do and could not find words to comfort her. She just hugged her in return and stayed in silence. In her mind, she was killing her cousin with every lethal weapon she could think of. ‘Oppa, just wait. I’m going to murder you!’

 

At Famous Company Showroom

            ‘So, Seung Gi, will you show me the most popular sedan today? You’re experienced in this field after all.’ Chang Min playfully told Seung Gi who was wandering together with him and Jae Joong in the showroom.

            Jae Joong laughed along with Chang Min and said, ‘Chang Min-ah, should I tell Seung Gi your reason to buy a car.’

            ‘Yahh, don’t.’ Chang Min stopped Jae Joong.

            Seung Gi questioned the two, ‘What are you hiding? Tell me, Chang Min, what is it?’

            ‘Ha ha, he’s purchasing it to impress one of our coworkers.’ Jae Joong spilled the beans. ‘She’s too pretty I don’t reckon you would interest her, Chang Min-ah. But nice try, pal.’

            ‘Shut up.’ Chang Min snapped.

            ‘Poor girl, whoever she is, she’s going to suffer because of you.’ Seung Gi also joined in to tease Chang Min more. He then let out a loud guffaw. ‘Just kidding. There, what do you think? 2014 model black convertible, famous among 20-30s men. It also suits you.’ They stopped walking before the deluxe model that Seung Gi pointed.

`           Chang Min looked at it and said, ‘Not bad. I’ll take it. You’ll give me discount, won’t you?’

            ‘Fine, I wish you good luck and that girl.’ Seung Gi then said to Jae Joong, ‘Ahh, by the way, did you happen to go to ---club 3 months ago?’

            ‘No. Why would I go there? Am I teenager?’ He refused.

            ‘Oh, really. Someone saw you there that night. But it’s nothing important.’ Seung Gi dismissed the question. ‘What matters now is, my guys, about my marriage. I think I’m going to marry soon to a girl my mother introduced me. I don’t want to upset her. I don’t want to be engaged to her either.’

            ‘Why don’t you like that girl? Is it because she’s not beautiful?’ Chang Min asked.

            ‘Wait, Seung Gi-ah, what century is this? You don’t have to do exactly what your parents tell you to if you aren’t interested. Your heart belongs to yourself.’ Jae Joong advised him.

            ‘You’re right, but,’ He was collared by the sudden chiming of cell phone. ‘Please give me a moment.’ He picked up.

            ‘Hello.’

            ‘Oppa, where are you? I’m coming to you right now so don’t go anywhere, ok?’

            ‘Ah, Eun Jung, I’m still at the company. Why are you in a hurry?’

            ‘I’ll tell you face-to-face. Bye.’

            ‘This kid, why does she rush about everything?’

            Jae Joong and Chang Min were paying for the car while Seung Gi was taking the phone.

He walked to them and said, ‘I’m sorry. I think Eun Jung has something important to tell. So you two first go eat dinner. I’ll join you later.’

            Jae Joong inquired him, ‘Does something happen to her?’

            ‘I don’t know. She won’t tell me.’

            Chang Min said, ‘Ok, I’ll take my new car now to test. Catch you later. Jae Joong, let’s roll.’

 

 

I'm sorry for the late post. I hope this chapter will not disappoint you.