Chapter 4

You Make Me Fall In Love, Be Responsible!

Lunch time had arrived.

            Eunjung and her friends were having canteen food in a table in one corner of the hall.

            ‘Hey I heard new forensic demonstrator is really hot. Is it true?’ Hyomin asked Eunjung & Shin Hye while munching her potato fries.

            ‘Ah, right, is it true? I’m also curious.’ Ji Yeon also joined in. She and Hyomin were from hotel management department. They were best friends like Eunjung and Shin Hye. But all four of them and Jo Kwon were friends since junior high school. So they were inseparable from one another. If one of them was hurt, the others would not tolerate it. They helped each other in their studies and worked hard to reach Seoul University. Out of them, Ji Yeon was the first to get boyfriend since 1st year of University Academy although Shin Hye was the most popular among them. Ever since Kim So Hyun became lover of Ji Yeon, Taecyeon became one of them as he was a friend of So Hyun. In short, they became a compact group composed of seven of them. They may be from different faculties but they always found time for friend gathering. No matter what the other people incite between them, they remained strong. So, it is no wonder they were impressed by a lot of their classmates.

            When Hyomin & Ji Yeon inquired about Jae Joong, Eunjung & Shin Hye just shrugged their shoulders. Eunjung whispered under her nose, ‘HOT, my foot…’

             Shin Hye agreed with Hyomin. ‘Yes, he’s really attractive and charming by his appearance. But we don’t know someone’s mind by the looks, do we?’ She then sipped her strawberry float.

            ‘But he’s already caused a roar in our faculty. This morning, all the girls from our department talked about nothing but him though I haven’t seen him yet.’ Hyomin’s voice smelled of excitement and interest. ‘So tell me your opinion, Eunjung.’     

            ‘Oh, I admit he did a really good job as demonstrator. He has skills. He’s really proficient in Forensic.’ Eunjung was really amazed by Jae Joong’s demonstration. It was really vivid and impressive.

            Hyomin showed her impatient look. ‘I didn’t mean it. What do you think about that teacher’s appearance?’

            Eunjung rolled her eyes. ‘Em… just so so. By the way, where are the guys?’ She quickly changed the subject.

            ‘Hullo, lady, were u all talking about us?’ came a teasing voice behind them.

            ‘Uh, So Hyun-ah, why are u late?’ Ji Yeon got up and greeted him. So Hyun sat beside Ji Yeon. Taecyeon grabbed an empty seat on the left side of Hyomin who was now sitting beside So Hyun.

            ‘We were given an assignment that’s very difficult to produce. I think it might take us a few more days to finish.’ So Hyun and Taecyeon were from Biochemistry branch. They were very bright and they dream of becoming talented biochemist.   

            ‘Oh, is that so?’ Ji Yeon exclaimed.

            Just before Eunjung was about to ask about Jokwon, she heard a poem whispered.

            ‘Life is a chemistry,

            dilute your sorrows

            evaporate your worries

            filter your mistakes

            boil your ego and

            you will get the Crystals of Love.’

            All of them turned their heads to the direction of the sound and found Jo kwon in his day-dreaming style. They all smiled at one another. Jo kwon was such a romantic guy that no one couldn’t believe he was from Chemistry department.

            Shin Hye welcomed him with a fake annoying look, ‘Again, again, you didn’t wake up from your dreams. Stop it. People will think you are a-good-for-nothing-poet.’

            ‘Why? A poet is also a person. You shouldn’t look down on a person as everyone is as valuable to his or her extent.’ Jo Kwon slammed his food tray down on the table loudly than usual and sat down between Taecyeon and Eunjung.

            Eunjung patted Jo Kwon’s back. ‘Friend, calm down. She was just teasing you.’

            ‘Wait, Eunjung-ah, all my biochemistry classmates were gossiping about today new Forensic teacher. He seems like an upcoming celebrity for our mid-term academy. How does he look like?’ Taecyeon asked Eunjung who was about to eat her mashed potato.

            ‘Ah, really. Everyone, please stop talking about him.’ Eunjung exploded.

            All of her friends except Shin Hye mysteriously looked at Eunjung. ‘What happened?’

            Eunjung immediately changed her expression. ‘Oh, nothing.’

            Shin Hye saved her at the last minute. ‘Oh, she’s just moody because she couldn’t answer that teacher’s question correctly. You know.’ She made a lie for Eunjung but she felt uneasy for her friends.

            ‘What a joke!’ So Hyun gave a hearty laugh.

            Eunjung thanking Shin Hye in her mind, she took a sip from her cola. ‘Have you already known it? Our final year completion exam will be a little more difficult.’

            ‘Oh, yes, we’ve heard, too’ Ji Yeon replied Eunjung.

            ‘Oh, is it the time already? Eunjung-ah, let’s go. We’ve lecture till 4’o clock.’ Shin Hye picked up her tray and urged Eunjung to get up, too. ‘Bye, friends, let’s meet tomorrow.’

            ‘See ya,’ Hyomin shouted after Eunjung and Shin Hye who were now walking away from them.

            Finally, it was time to get home. Eunjung parted from Shin Hye and strolled along the path to the nearby bus-stop by herself. After she passed the University gate, she again saw him. But he was not alone. ‘What a surprise!’ she thought sarcastically.

            A little while ago, Jae Joong had just got off work & was about to go home. Suddenly, two cold hands cover his both eyes from behind. In quick reflexes, he took those hands & turned backwards. ‘Oppa, ke ke, are u surprised?’ a blonde-hair girl with slim yet y body was grinning happily, grabbing his palms affectionately.

            ‘Yaah, Hyun ah, watch your manners, I’m a teacher, u know’ Jae Joong scolded her and hit her head softly with his fist. ‘By the way, what are you doing here?’ Hyun ah cast an angry glance at him.

             ‘Wahh, you’re too much, oppa. I’ve been waiting for you at this place for a long time just to see a piece of you. I was thinking of coming to your apartment, yet I know you won’t be there, that’s why I’m here of course!’ Hyun ah then spoke sadly, ‘In fact, I’ve come to say farewell. Tomorrow, I’ll go abroad to pursue my dream. I won’t probably come back as I’ve decided to settle there. Phew…I’ll miss you for long, I’m sure.’

             Jae Joong was caught off hands hearing unexpected things from Hyun ah who was his adorable sister-like. Since young, they met as their parents were business partners and Jae Joong took care of her as his sister. Though she was six years junior, she treated him as in equal age & followed him everywhere. Now that she was about to leave him as well, he felt sorry somehow.

              ‘Really? Why didn’t you talk to me beforehand? Are you hungry? Let me treat you.’ She shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. ‘No, it’s ok. I’ve many things to prepare, so I don’t have much time. Just give me a hug and I’ll be fine.’ Jae Joong smiled tenderly and pulled her toward his chest, embracing her warmly. ‘Just give me a call when you arrived there to reassure me you’re safe. OK?’ Then, Jae Joong broke the hug. ‘I’m still not good that you didn’t breathe a word of your plan. Hope I can visit you sometime when I’m free. Take care, Hyun ah. But let me take you to your home. Let’s go.’ They walked towards his car and the car departed towards its destination.