Chapter 8

You Make Me Fall In Love, Be Responsible!

           Never in his life had Jae Joong thought, he would be so alone in a world full of people. His existence was totally destroyed when his father kicked his mom out of the house. He just turned eight when this happened. No matter how he begged his mother to stay, she would not listen. She said that it was for the best of both.

           ‘Why did she even think like that? No, it was not, Mother. I grew up lonely without dad caring for me slightest. Mom, I hate you for leaving me. I won’t forgive you.’ Jae Joong thought bitterly and painfully of his mother and again missed her so much.

            Then at 17 years of age, his vitality was revived by a mere girl named Yoon Ah. Meeting with her was uneventful though their bond became stronger that no one could break them up. They began to go out after first week of meeting and she moved in with him at their one month anniversary. It was the happiest moments of his life.

            They adored each other and everyone was so envious of them. Yet, they quarreled a lot over small, unimportant things. When they made up after the fight, there was no sweeter thing than that make-up. They vowed to be together till they got old and died and even afterlife.

            Jae Joong was always insecured of himself to lose Yoon Ah. Yoon Ah was carefree and did not concern about what people would think.

            On the other hand, Jae Joong was too afraid to lose her that he became to take control of her. She felt so suffocated and started to detach from him.

            At two-year anniversary, they decided to go out for a little celebration to a restaurant. Inevitably, they again bickered at each other while he was driving, her sitting in the loverseat. She unbelievably asked him to break up with him. He was so scared that his moment of fear had fully blown to this situation.

            He could not concentrate on his driving and all he could think of was how to make her want to stay with him. Then, his car derailed from the motorway, crossed over the midline and reached the opposite lane.

            A car accident totally ruined him. She died on the spot. His mind was on her while his body could not move the slightest inch. He was survived after the emergency operation miraculously. All his friends lied to him that she was doing fine during his recovery. Soon after he found out her death, he was continuously blaming himself for losing control of him and causing her death.

           Maybe she was right after all that he was the worst thing that occurred to her which she told him during one of their argument. So he escaped to US and tried to take his mind of her by studying lessons vigorously. When he thought he was able to stand up upon himself in Korea, he came back and yet he was condemned by his own spirit after seven years of the tragedy.

           After Seung Gi retold the story to Eun jung, ‘So you see how Jae Joong’s life is simply cursed since young. He is now scared of taking any relationship. He’s not the one to insult any girl intentionally. You must be in misunderstanding of what happened to you at that night. You must be mistaken of his appearance. You know, there are many people on the earth resembling to one another without sharing the same genetics. There are many options as well.’

           ‘But to be sure, I’ll enquire Yoo Chun about Jae Joong going to that club, OK? Now, go to bed already. You have classes today, don’t you? I’ll hang up now. Sleep tight.’

           Eun Jung murmured something polite to him and replaced the phone receiver. She had to take a lot of time to digest these facts. But one thing was certain. She had completely misjudged Jae Joong. Thankfully, she had not made her thoughts obvious by saying mean things to him.

           ‘Do you understand what I’m saying, Eun Jung?’ Jae Joong said to her who drifted off to the conversation between Seung Gi and her. ‘You seem to zoom off right now.’

           Eun Jung immediately refocused on Jae Joong and said, ‘I’m sorry, sir, I think I dozed off because of my lack of sleep.’ She apologized to him and gave a laugh to clear her awkwardness.

           ‘So, if you want me to explain again,…’

           ‘No, sir, it’s ok. I’ve got the important facts you’ve told me. It’s no need. Thank you very much.’ She then collected her books on the table. ‘I think I need to go now, sir. It’s getting late and my mom would be worried by now at home.’

           She noticed a shade of sorrow cross over his face for a brief second at the mention of her mother. But he smiled quickly and made a statement. ‘Yes, you’re right. Let me accompany you to your house. Where is your house, Eun Jung?’

           She did not know how to respond to him about escorting her to the house. She was in awe.

           ‘I’ll take the bus. So it’s really ok, sir. I don’t want to trouble you.’

           ‘Then I’ll go with you too. I insist. I have nothing to do any way. Now, let’s go.’ He said and led the way to the bus stop ahead of her.

           She had no choice but to follow him right now, thus, she quietly walked grabbing her books on one hand.

           On the bus, they sat side to side at the last row. He took care of her like a gentleman. He perched on a seat, leaving five inches away from hers. They were riding the bus, each lost in their own mind.

           Then, they strolled to her house. Sometimes, Jae Joong inquiring her about her academic life and Eun Jung answering. She had no idea why she was surprisingly comfortable in his accompany. She was amazed at herself for feeling strangely calm.

           By the time they got to her house, she was reluctant to say goodbye to him. ‘Sir, do you want to come in and take a cup of tea? I’m sure mom’ll be happy to make tea for you.’

           He held up his hand and told to her, ‘Oh, don’t take such burden. I’m going now. Bye, Eun Jung and good luck for your exam.’ He left her and headed back to the bus stop.

          ‘Why is her house so near to bus stop? We could have so much time to talk if it is a long way.’ Jae Joong talked to himself.

          Eun Jung went in and in the living room, as she had expected, there was her mom knitting a sweater, undoubtedly waiting for her.

          In fact, her mom was only pretending to knit. When she saw her come in, she dropped all her things and welcomed her by asking questions.

          ‘Who is he? Don’t lie to me. I saw everything, a man following you to the house.’ She excitedly asked Eun Jung was concealing her smile.

          ‘Mom, please don’t dream. He’s my teacher and Seung Gi oppa’s friend.’ She changed the direction of the conversation. ‘How many times have I told you, mom, not to wait for me? You must take rest by now. I’m 22 years old.’ She was praying her mother would just stop the questions.

           ‘Aigoo, are you my daughter? Isn’t it normal a mother waiting for her daughter? I’m going to bed now. If you are hungry, help yourself in the kitchen. I’ve prepared your favorite tomato soup and put it in the fridge. Warm it in the microwave before you have it.’ Her mom yawned and went up to her bedroom.

           ‘Yes, madam.’ She teasingly saluted her and moved to the kitchen.

            Inevitably, the second semester exam crawled in, frightening all final year Seoul Academy students out of their mind, including Eun Jung. She was worried sick and though she burnt the midnight oil almost every night before the exam, she always thought she was going to fail exam.

            After taking the exam for five consecutive days, all of Eun Jung’s energy was drained out and she did not even have strength to carry her body. She had dark eye bags and her slim body became thinner. Shin Hye wanted to catch a movie. She had to decline her as she had nothing on her mind but sleep.

            Shin Hye looked hard at Eun Jung and said, ‘Fine, I’ll go alone and eat all delicious things till my stomach bursts so you’ll regret that you’ve left your best friend to die pitifully.’

           ‘Shin Hye-ah, really I need sleep right now. Please don’t make me feel more sorry than I’m right now. I’ll compensate you for this tomorrow. Please?’

           ‘Hmm, I’ll think about it.’ Shin Hye faked her angry face and pouted her lips.

           ‘That’s my girl.’ Eun Jung pinched her cheeks. ‘You’re so cute. Eat more meals for me, friend.’

           ‘Nope. Go get your precious sleep. You look like you’re about to collapse any time. I’ll take you to your home then, I’ll go to the movies. Come.’ Shin Hye held Eun Jung’s hand and they walked together to where her car was parked.

 

Pls read and enjoy!!