'' Blood is thicker than water. ''- Shin woo.

Unrequited Love

* Dal-rae pushes Ah-ra into the glass panel of the cabinet *

* Ah-ra drops dead on the floor with pieces of glasses all around her *

'' My daughter! Ah-ra!'', Mrs Shin froze as all she could do was look on at her daughter falling like a leaf to the floor. It was too dangerous for her to run to her daughter's aid due to the shattered glasses that could cut her.

* Shinwoo and Mr Shin comes running to the room *

'' Ah-ra!'', Mr Shin goes running to his unconscious daughter.

He didn't care about the razor sharp glasses that could cut him, all he wanted to do was to make sure his daughter was alright. As he cradles the frail Ah-ra into his arms, warm blood dripped from her head, covering her hair and half of her clothes. Dal-rae who was looking on was petrified by the damaged that she had done, was she alive? was she going to be alright? Those questions ran through her head as her eyes watered  looking at her injured little sister. 

* Shinwoo drops on his knees *

-----------------------------

-10 years ago - ( 15 year old Shinwoo, 13 year old Dal-rae, 11 year old Ah-ra )

'' Shin Ah-ra! Wake up...please wake up... oppa is sorry...so please wake up!! No..you can't, you can't leave like this...'', Shinwoo shakes the bleeding Ah-ra as he embraces his little sister in his arms. The warm blood covered his expensive school uniform. 

'' Boy, you can't pick her up. Please put her down till the medics arrive. You'll kill her by shaking her, so please let her go!'', a witness tries to calm him down by putting Ah-ra down, but to no avail nobody could get Ah-ra from her brother's arms. The more they tried to take her away from him, the more he tightened his grip around her lifeless body.

Shinwoo's eyes starts to fill up with tears as he looked around the scene of the accident, shattered glasses were everywhere, the blood that filled the stretch of the road that belonged to his own little sister. All he could do was cry his heart out, because of his carelessness, now he will lose his little sister forever. Because of ONE mistake. All he saw when he turned his back was Dal-rae pushing Ah-ra away, her push was strong enough to push her till the opposition lane, where Ah-ra was hit and then like in the movies as Ah-ra turns the car hits her and her body was flung a meter from where she was hit. As he started to lose hope as Ah-ra was not responding to him, he hears his little sister's voice.

'' She's dead. She's not breathing.'', the passerby explains to the paramedics who were tending to Ah-ra.

* Paramedics carries her weak body *

'' Onni....'', Ah-ra who was half-conscious calls out for her sister.

'' Quick! She's responding!'', the medics swiftly performs the medical procedure to relieve Ah-ra's pain and also to save her life since she was in a critical situation.

-------------------------------

'' Appa...'', Ah-ra regains consciousness and tries to stand up.

'' No, don't move... You're really in a bad shape, don't act like you're not in pain.'', Mr Shin lifts his daughter up and heads towards her room to tend to her cuts.

'' Honey! We should be getting her to the hospital, those cuts will leave scars!'', Mrs Shin runs to her husband and pesters him to get Ah-ra to the hospital.

Mr Shin stubbornly tends to Ah-ra's injuries. Trying very hard to ignore his wife's voice, he focuses on the gashes on his daughter's pale body. The cuts were more apparent on her head and neck, thank goodness that Ah-ra was wearing warm clothings as it protected her body from getting an even serious injury.  He intricately tended to each cut and removed glass pieces that were embedded into her skin. 

'' Yeobo!'', Mrs Shin finally lashes out at her husband as she slaps the medical ointment from his hands.

'' Stop it! Do you think i can't tend to my own daughter's injuries?! I too used to be a medical student, you know it yourself! Why? Am i not good enough to even tend to her injuries?! I..left my dreams to become a doctor for you... so please, for once... keep quiet. These cuts will definitely leave scars... so leave the room and go see what your daughter ( Dal-rae ) wants. She almost killed my daughter.'', Mr Shin finally outbursts at his wife as he tended to Ah-ra's injury.

Mrs Shin knew exactly what her husband was pointing at, back when he was an aspiring doctor, the path to become a doctor was too long for her and it was humiliating for her to always see her friends boast about their wealth at her. Hence, she had an affair with her husband's best friend who was a business man and even had Dal-rae with that person after being enchanted by his sweet words and beautiful lies. Lee Jung Shin was his name. Her heart ache at her husband's obvious fury of Dal-rae. The usage of 'your' daughter and 'my' daughter, it was as if Dal-rae was not even a part of the family. Mrs Shin clenches her teeth as she painfully leaves the room to see Dal-rae.

* Mrs Shin leaves the room and heads to Dal-rae's room *

Mrs Shin stops in her foot steps as she overhears the conversation between Shinwoo and Dal-rae. 

'' Dal-rae ah... oppa is tired of hating you... i can't love you, don't you know that? Please, don't hurt Ah-ra anymore..I'm sorry...'', Shinwoo despairing utters those words as tears fell from his eyes.

'' I-i-i've never once wanted to hurt her. I-'', Dal-rae stutters as she hears those words from Shinwoo.

'' My heart... as a brother... i can't give it to you. If fate hadn't made me meet you like this, i would have loved you like a real brother would... i know at times i'm very biased... i just can't...'', again he adds on, saying those words which Dal-rae couldn't comprehend.

Shinwoo pitifully looks at Dal-rae. Having to always act cold towards her, having to hurt her in all ways to make her stay away from Ah-ra he was tired of it. For once, he wanted to at least tell her that if she wasn't his half-sister, if she wasn't even related to him and was adopted into the family without any blood ties to him, he would have gladly accepted her, but for the fact that she was his mother's love child. Even as he tried to accept her, that ONE incident couldn't make him forgive her. The very unfortunate fact that she loves him but doesn't know that he was her half-brother. 

Dal-rae bit her lips as tears trickled down her cheeks, she was also sick and tired of everything. Her heart broke at every word that came out of Shinwoo's lips. It was finally time to let go of him, it was finally time to move on from him. She knew that Shinwoo had always known that she liked him more than a brother, hence he was always apprehensive about it. Always pushing her around, and Ah-ra was always the one getting everything better than her. Dal-rae was sure that she would make him pay for all the torment that he had put her through. His weakness...was Ah-ra. 

'' Jinyoungie... don't include him in this plan of yours... Shin Dal-rae... It's my fault.'', Shinwoo closes his eyes as he painfully utters those words. He can't let her know, she probably doesn't know, he didn't have the heart to tell her that she was his little sister. 

Shinwoo was right on the point, he knew Dal-rae too well. All these while, Dal-rae had been acting pitiful and innocent infront of Jinyoung to make him fall for her, and he fell right for the trap. Even though, she knew well that Jinyoung was meant to be with Ah-ra and how close he was with Shinwoo, she wanted to make use of him as a shield for her. Jinyoung was nothing in her heart. Without saying a word, she stands up to clean the mess in her room.

* Their mother enters the room *

'' Shinwoo-yah..go tend to your little sister.. I'll help Dal-rae with the mess... it was an accident... i'm not sure about what happened earlier on, but the two of you...please.'', Mrs Shin tries to hide the trembling in her voice and starts to help Dal-rae with the mess.

* Shinwoo heads to Ah-ra's room *

There she was laughing and smiling with their father. It was as if nothing had happened for the exception of the bandage on her forehead and her blood-stained clothes that were on the floor, she was now in her fresh set of pajamas.

'' Aigoo..my strong daughter... Look at you. These cuts are nothing right?'', Mr Shin jokes as he held his daughter's hands tightly.

* Ah-ra grins *

'' Appa...'', Shinwoo voices out to make his presence known.

'' Ah, your brother is here. Let him entertain you, i have some work to do. Shinwoo-yah, accompany her for the night. Good night...'', Mr Shin pats Shinwoo on the shoulder as he left the room.

Shinwoo guiltily approaches Ah-ra, as he walks towards her, she angrily turns away from him as if she didn't like him being in the room with her. Of course she was mad, all of a sudden he rushes out of Jinyoung's house and grabs her with all his might which hurt her. She was exceptionally angered by the fact that her own brother slapped Dal-rae for no utter reason, if he was rational enough nothing like this would have happened. Dal-rae wouldn't have been too emotional about it and wouldn't have pushed her if she wasn't upset by Shinwoo.

'' Ah-ra...i'm sorry...'', Shinwoo looks on the carpeted floor as sat on the bed side.

'' Sorry for? You should be saying sorry to Dal-rae onni, not me. Oppa, don't you know that you should at least try to control that temper of yours? You're really scary don't you know that?'', Ah-ra angrily spouts those words at him as she revealed her true thoughts on his actions.

* Tears fall from his eyes *

'' Oppa...why are you crying?'', Ah-ra felt as if she had blamed her own brother, it was the first time that she had seen him cried after the accident.

'' Ah-ra... I know i'm a bad brother...'' as soon as those words came out, he closes his face with his hands and sobs.

He was too tired to think, this was just the beginning, how was he going to protect Ah-ra if he was going to act all weak. About Jinyoung and Dal-rae, it was too painful to even think about it. How Jinyoung was manipulated by her and how much he must have loved her.

------------------------------------

*Shinwoo's flashback *

2 years ago.

-When nobody was at home-

'' Oppa! For once, can't you just listen to me?!'', Dal-rae screams at him as she held the knife to her wrists.

'' Yah! Shin Dal-rae! You think threatening me will work? Put that knife down now!'', Shinwoo retaliates as he tries to get close to her to take away the knife from her.

'' Why? Am i not like Ah-ra? Look! I'm an anspiring ballerina now! Just like Jihae! For once, why can't you look at me? At least, love me just like Ah-ra. My heart...you knew it ever since we were young, Why?!'', this time she places the knife on her wrists.

'' Do you want me to sent you to a mental hospital? Oh?! What's up with you? I'm your brother! Put that knife down now!'', Shinwoo raises his voice and this time he was preparing himself to get the knife away from Dal-rae.

'' You're not my brother! We're not even related! That's why you're always treating Ah-ra better than me!'', Dal-rae cuts herself with the knife as those unknown lies to her came out from her own mouth.

* Shinwoo plunges to grab the knife away from her and hugs Dal-rae *

'' It's true that blood is thicker than water. Why do you think i love Ah-ra so much? How difficult it was for her as a child to always be compared to you. How our mother showered you with more love than her, my father neglecting Ah-ra just for you. Just think for yourself, does Ah-ra blame you for all of these? She doesn't. She's stupid that's why but i'm not like Ah-ra because i'm her brother and i'll protect her. So, stop this game of yours.'', Shinwoo whispers those words and gently lets go of Dal-rae while holding the knife in his hands.

'' Araso...oppa. I'm sorry. I won't act like this anymore. I'll make sure i treat Ah-ra well from now on.'', Dal-rae cries.

'' Don't be sorry...'', Shinwoo walks off as he left his half-sister in the kitchen.

'' Of course...blood is thicker than water. Shin Dong Woo...this is just the beginning. I'll make sure you'll regret for not loving me enough. For blaming me for everything. Just see, when you least expect it... I'll start from torturing everyone that you love.'', Dal-rae mouths those words to herself as she smirks. 

---------------------------------------

'' Oppa...don't cry... Let me sing you a lullaby. You'll feel better when you sleep.'', Ah-ra wipes the tears off from her brother's eyes. Even that, didn't stop him from crying.

* Shinwoo covers himself with a blanket and covers his face with Ah-ra's pillow *

'' You're such a huge baby! Look at the small space that's left for me to sleep. Sleep well, i'm going to get a glass of water to drink.'', Ah-ra tucks her brother to bed as she gently pats him on his back to cheer him up.

* Walks to the kitchen *

Ah-ra swiftly fishes out her smartphone, and dials for Sandeul's number. She needed someone to talk to, the only person that she could think of was him.

* Sandeul picks up the call *

Sandeul: Hello! Shin Ah-ra, what's up?

Ah-ra : What are you doing now? Am i disturbing you?

Sandeul : Haha, why? Missing me?  Umm.. i was thinking of you, and then all of a sudden you called. Shin Ah-ra, i miss you.

Ah-ra : Me too... Sandeul-ah...

Sandeul: Oh? Shin Ah-ra, did something happen? 

Ah-ra : Bingo. Even the weather understands my feelings. Lee Sandeul, i miss you.

Sandeul : Looks like..i have to find my love. Shin Ah-ra, sorry. I'll talk to you later! Bye!

* Sandeul hangs up *

Ah-ra pouts as he hangs up. Where was he going? Why was he hanging up on her when she needed him the most.

'' Looks like, i'll just have to comfort myself with a warm cup of cocoa...'', Ah-ra tries to comfort herself with those words as she made herself a drink to warm herself up. 

* Ah-ra stares out of the kitchen window, it was raining. *

After hearing Sandeul's voice, even the wounds didn't hurt, because all she thought of was his voice, his laughter. Even that, could make her smile like a fool. Spelling his name out, S-A-N-D-E-U-L made her heart jump at his beautiful name, the name that she now loved. If it wasn't love, then what was this happy feeling? Although, it's been only a few hours that she last saw him, she missed him more than ever. Ah-ra slowly closes her weary eyes as she thought of him.

* Ah-ra falls asleep on the kitchen counter *

----------------------------------------

* One hour later *

♫ Oh my beautiful target~~~ You zoom zoom my heart like a rocket~~ 

Ah-ra struggles to answer the call. She rubs her sleepy eyes and strains her eyes to see who was calling her. Sandeul? Why was he calling at this timing.

* Ah-ra answers the call *

Sandeul: Yah! Babo! I'm waiting for you. Where are you?

Ah-ra: Eung? Waiting for me? 

Sandeul: Faster you fool! I'm freezing! 

* Ah-ra runs to the balcony of the house to look outside. There he was waving at her without an umbrella *

* Ah-ra rushes outside with an umbrella, forgetting to wear her jacket as she was too happy to see him *

Without even caring about the rain and the cold, with the umbrella in her hands, she rushes towards him. 

'' Babo-yah~ Why are you running without your jacket, it's raining, you'll catch a cold... give the umbrella here.'', Sandeul reprimands her as he opens the umbrella for the both of them.

'' I was too happy, that's why...Oh my god-'', Ah-ra finally realises what she was doing, she was in her pajamas and not only that, it was a hello-kitty printed one. Now, her image was really gone.

'' You like Hello kitty? I'm going to get one for myself too then... Shin Ah-ra, this is for you.'', Sandeul passes her a small packaging.

'' Oh? What is this?'', Ah-ra curiously asks as she opens the box.

'' A necklace. Since you were missing me... i ran all the way here...just to find you.'', Sandeul exaggerates as he curls his lips.

* Sandeul puts on the necklace for Ah-ra *

'' Whenever you're missing me, just remember that whatever happens, i'll run to you. Understand?'', Sandeul reaches for Ah-ra's hands and finally decides to take a good look at her face after avoiding her eyes.

Ah-ra grins as she looks at the necklace, as she looks up. Sandeul's jaw literally drops.

'' What happened to your hands? Yah! Your..your head...what happened?'', Sandeul finally sees  the bandage on Ah-ra's forehead and the cuts on her hands. It was dark, therefore it took him a while to even see the cuts.

'' Umm... i fell from the stairs... that's all. Haha.. Lee Sandeul, i'm so happy to see you!'', Ah-ra squeals as she hugs Sandeul. Obviously touched by his kind actions.

As Ah-ra hugs him, he froze in his foot steps. This was the first time a girl was hugging him, well if he was going to act like he loved her, might as well return the hug back. Sandeul forces a smile and taps her on the back to cheer her up. With a warm smile on his face, he slowly held Ah-ra by the shoulders, now that he had given her the necklace, it was time for him to go. 

'' Shin Ah-ra, you're now mine. Understood?'', Sandeul reminds her as he casts his eyes on her gorgeous brown eyes. For a moment, his heart skipped a beat.

* Ah-ra nods her head *

'' Araso, now that you've seen me... go in. You'll catch a cold like this. My clumsy girl...Take care of yourself!'', Sandeul sends Ah-ra off.

Ah-ra silently waves at Sandeul while smiling at him and runs into the house. Seeing her silhoutte, Sandeul coldly walks off as if he had completed his mission for the day. 

-----------------------------

 

 

(A/N : Ahahang....school is finally starting, it would have been better to go to school rather than waiting for my results. Argh! I wish you all a good year ahead and all the best in life! :D. Happy New Year! I know that this chapter has too many things to absorb...I'll gladly answer your questions. ^^ Don't worry, there'll be more happy chapters on the way. The turmoil that my characters are going through... just like what my teacher always told me when writing, nobody is bad, circumstances just shapes the person that way. The reason why i said that Dal-rae ''used'' to be close to Ah-ra is because of the incident two years ago, where Dal-rae swore to punish Shinwoo for always tormenting her. That's why at times she can be really nice and really cold. Plus, since she doesn't know that Mrs Shin is her real mother, growing up in the Shin's household made her fall for Shinwoo, that's why she's always vied for his attention and acceptance. And...she doesn't love Jinyoung. haha. Thank you for reading <3 )