'' My dreams? '' - Lee Sandeul.

Unrequited Love

* Friday. End of school *

'' Dancing~ dancing~~ dancing in the moonlight~~ Shin Ah-ra! Whoo~~ Lee Sandeul is fat! Yah...i knew it, i knew that you had a crush on her...'', Gongchan dances in the middle of the streets as he  disturbs Sandeul.

* Ah-ra turns her attention to Sandeul's stomach. *

'' Yah! Don't you have other things to do? Ah...i'm really going crazy. Jinyoung sunbaenim... we really need him to review it for us.. how are we going to contact him..'', Sandeul cringes his forehead as he tries to grab Gongchan.

'' We should trust Ah-ra's composition of the song. I personally think it's great. You, Lee Sandeul only have to sing. Right, my darling?'', Gongchan sweetly turns to Ah-ra as he ran his fingers through her soft fluffy hair.

'' Gong Chan Shik, aren't you going to go home? I seriously can go crazy, how many times must i repeat that she's mine from today onwards? Your bus is here!'', Sandeul smacks his lips as he annoyingly utters those words to Gongchan.

'' Going crazy of? Ah... because of Ah-ra? Hahahaha... O-ong~~ Bye!'', Gongchan crazily bids his friends goodbye as he rushes for his bus, but not forgetting to get on Sandeul's nerves by teasing him about 'liking' Ah-ra.

* Gongchan boards the bus, teases Ah-ra and Sandeul with a heart-shape body gesture. *

Ah-ra's face got redder by the minute, trying to control her laughters was more difficult than trying to hide her happiness. It was an unforgettable day, the group finally made some progress for the project and not only that within a week they were able to produce a song, all that was left was for Jinyoung to give the final say. Not only that, Sandeul actually confessed to everyone that he loved Shin Ah-ra and was going to make her his woman after being pressured by Kwang-ho a couple of times after he was caught admiring her from afar. Since it was a happy day, Gongchan was all hype up, Sandeul on the other hand was rather annoyed by Gongchan's antics.

'' Hmm... when is the bus getting here.. i'm so tired. I really could get a good night sleep...'', Ah-ra sulks as she gently sits on the cold hard bench while waiting for her bus.

'' I really hate it when he calls you darling you know... Yah, Shin Ah-ra, aren't you going to hold my hands now? I'm going to freeze to death now.'', Sandeul half-complained as he pouts his lips at her.

'' Not...now... Lee Sandeul, why would you even be cold...look at those fats protecting you from the cold...'', Ah-ra jokes as she pinches his stomach fats.

* Sandeul catches hold of her delicate hands *

'' Should we go on a date some time soon? Ha... Don't you think it's fate that we met each other? Oh? Do you know how much you make my heart jump with that beautiful face of yours? Why won't you just accept my heart?'', Sandeul questions Ah-ra as he held her hands tightly near his chest to feel his heart beat.

Ah-ra carefully studies his eyes. It's just been a few days after the spicy rice cake incident, and today earlier in school, he confessed about liking her to everybody. What was he thinking? Isn't it too fast to be like this? Plus, she's getting engaged, and although she likes him, everything was too perfect to be true! But, why... why is something stopping her from accepting his 'heart'?.

'' I would love too..but.. i.. shouldn't we be focusing on our studies?'', she reluctantly answers him as she pulls her hands away from him.

Sandeul bit his lips as he tried to think of an answer to come up with, his heart was racing for her to accept his request to date. If she accepts, then everything would go as he planned. If it's successful, then everything would go faster than expected.

'' Shin Ah-ra... don't you trust me? I know you might feel that this is a bit rushed... but my feelings for you, it's getting deeper each day. I'm afraid to lose you to someone else... Furthermore, we're pursuing the same dreams in life.'', Sandeul came up with a convincing answer to Ah-ra so that she would at least consider to be his girlfriend.

'' I trust you...what's your dreams?'', Ah-ra asks curiously as she gazes into his eyes, believing every single word that came out of his sweet lips and voice.

'' My dreams?'', for a moment, Sandeul hesitates to answer her.

------------------------------------------------------------

* Sandeul's flashback *

'' Cha Baro! Hehe! Look at this!'', Sandeul exclaims as he hugs Baro excitedly.

* Both of them jumps up and down *

'' Wah! Lee Sandeul! Not bad! Seoul Academy! Woah! Your mother will be so proud!'', Baro embraces Sandeul like a close brother would as he shared his best friend's happiness.

'' Thank you! Cha Baro! My dreams are finally going to come true! What about you? How's your results?'', Sandeul thank Baro and at the same time wanted to know about the outcome of his best friend's SAT results.

* Both sit down, Sandeul lies on Baro's shoulder, in an effort to comfort him *

'' Haiz... Lee Sandeul. Looks like i didn't make it. But whatever it is... i'll make sure to achieve my dreams..what's yours?'', Baro tries to act like he was alright as he questions Sandeul's on his next move.

'' My dreams? To get back everything that's rightfully mine and becoming a singer..You?'', Sandeul blantly answers Baro as he smiles.

'' Well, with my black-belt taekwondo skills. I was thinking of applying a job in the body guard sector... in a few years time... You'll see Cha Baro in the news beating bad guys up! Haiya!'', Baro fools around as he kicks and punches Sandeul lightly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

* Ah-ra waves at Sandeul's face to snap him out of it *

'' Ah..my dreams? Well... of course to be a singer.'', Sandeul swiftly lied through his teeth. However, he avoided looking into her eyes as he answered her.

'' You're really blessed with such an angelic voice... you'll definitely be able to achieve your dreams.. For me, it's rather difficult to even become a song composer, because i'll only end up as someone's wi-(wife)'', Ah-ra stops in the middle of talking as she didn't want to expose her problems.

'' End up as?'', Sandeul questions her as he fixes his stare on her hands.

'' It's just that, my mother is totally against my dreams. She wants me to be like my siblings. To always be in the limelight instead of working behind the scenes. Some times it hurts to have my sister act cold towards me, because of this. My parents arguing because of me...all of that..'', Ah-ra expresses herself to Sandeul.

'' You're lucky to have a family, you know. It's understandable that your mother wants the best for you... I'm glad that you're finally able to open up to me. Now, i'm able to be here to listen to all of your problems. Don't worry, i'll be here no matter what happens.'', Sandeul comforts her as he her cheeks lovingly.

Ah-ra felt as if she was dreaming, he really was the only friend that truly understood her. How, those calm and inspiring words are coming out of such a young person. It was as if she finally found her own true friend, someone whom she could share all her secrets with other than her brother. What made it even more special to her was that Sandeul felt the same way as her, she only has to say 'Yes' to him and he'll be hers.

* Bus arrives *

'' Lee Sandeul, you're really a great friend. Haha... i like you too... bye!'', Ah-ra sheepishly summons the courage to say those words as she scrambles to get into the bus.

'Like'?, the word 'like' was too vague for an answer. It frustrated him that something was holding Ah-ra back from accepting him. He was sure that she was infatuated with him, by her actions. The way she avoids him every time he tries to look at her, the way she peeks at him while he's eating, everything. He endured, he hated the way she looked at him, he hated the way how she was always nice. Her heart, it was as pure as a new-born baby. Her naiveness, it was as if it was too easy for him. Especially, those eyes of her, it was as if he was looking straight into his mother's eye.

'' I'll get through this, i promise.'', Sandeul whispers those words to himself as he made a move after seeing Ah-ra off.

------------------------------------------------

* Shin's home * * 7pm *

'' Omma, is Ah-ra back yet?'', Shinwoo removes his shoes as he questions his mother.

'' Yes, your dearest is in her room, singing to herself. Home early today, seems to be in a good mood.'', his mother nonchalantly replies him as she focuses on the korean drama.

* Shinwoo laughs at his mother's actions * * Heads towards Ah-ra's room *

'' Shin Ah-ra?'', Shinwoo gently knocks on his little sister's room door.

* Ah-ra singing and dancing *

♫ Dancing bears...painted wings...things i almost remember...and a song someone sings once upon a December...someone holds me safe and warm...horses prance through a silver storm...figures dancing gracefully across my memories...far away long ago... things my heart used to know...once upon a December... things it yearns to remember...and a song someone sings... Once Upon A December 

* Ah-ra turns to see her brother listening to her singing *

'' Oh? Haha... I saw everything... you seem to be high in spirits..what happened?'', Shinwoo curiously asks he pokes his little sister's nose.

'' Oppa! You and Jihae onni... What does being in love feels like?'', Ah-ra asks curiously as she holds on to her brother's arms.

'' Love? That's a difficult one... Well, whenever i'm with Jihae, i feel happy. Then i get those jumping stomach moments..'', Shinwoo tries hard to explain to his little sister about the feeling of being in love.

* Ah-ra smiles to herself *

'' By the way, i heard that Jinyoung is really unwell. I was going to visit him, thought you'd probably want to tag along. Do you want to follow?'', Shinwoo invites his little sister to visit Jinyoung with him.

'' Really? Then i'll be able to pass him the group's project work for him to review. I'll get ready.'', Ah-ra rushes her brother out of the room as she changes into warm clothings.

* 10 minutes later *

'' Let's go!'', Ah-ra announces to her brother that she was ready to set off.

* Sets off for Jinyoung's house *

Ah-ra was all smiles, she was reminded of Sandeul's words. He was such an understanding person, and a great friend, what more a lover? He would be the most amazing boyfriend in the world, just like Shinwoo oppa. Ah-ra's standard for a perfect boyfriend was for him to be exactly like her brother, understanding, sweet, handsome and tall. Although, Sandeul fell a little bit short on the 'handsome' part, the correct word was 'cute'.

'' Maknae, you really seem to be in a good mood. What is it? Oppa wants to know too...why you're so smiley today..'', Shinwoo asks as he concentrates on the road.

'' Nothing... just thinking about something happy...'', Ah-ra laughs as she covers her face to hide her embarrassment from thinking about Sandeul.

* Arrives at Jinyoung's place*

'' Aigoo...the two of you are here. My son is still in bed... Sorry that he's not able to greet the both of you...'', Mr Jung bows repeatedly at Ah-ra and Shinwoo.

'' Ahjusshi... don't worry... how is he? Still sleeping?'', Shinwoo grabs Mr Jung by the shoulder to stop him from bowing. Mr Jung was too used to do this as he once served for the Shin's.

'' He's taken his medicine. He must be asleep then. You should go to his room to see him..'', Mr Jung directs Shinwoo to Jinyoung's room.

Ah-ra only stayed in her position at the living room, it was basic courtesy to not enter a male's room. That was what her parent's had taught her ever since she was young therefore she understood the reason why Mr Jung didn't force her to see Jinyoung. Ah-ra quietly sits down on the comfy sofa. The house was perfect for Jinyoung and his father, neither big nor too small. It felt cozy and warm. Ah-ra's eyes scanned the photos hunged on the ceilings.

''Oh!'', Ah-ra jumps as she went closer to the picture. It was a picture of Jinyoung, Shinwoo and her. It was so weird to see the photograph, she couldn't believe her eyes.

'' Agasshi...'', Mr Jung politely made his presence known to her.

'' Ahjusshi... this picture. When was this taken?'', Ah-ra eagerly questions him as she studies the picture.

'' This? Ah...this was the last picture that the three of you took before we left Korea. Look at you...crying..'', Mr Jung smiles as he explains to Ah-ra.

'' Why was i crying?'', Ah-ra mutters to herself as she tries very hard to remember.

'' That...you were crying because you didn't want to let Jinyoung go. Oppa...oppa.. that's what you were crying for. See that? You hugging him from the side...'', Mr Jung even personally points out to Ah-ra about how she couldn't let go of Jinyoung.

* Ah-ra weakly smiles as she softly touches the old picture *

-------------------------------------------------

* Shinwoo enters Jinyoung's room *

The first thing that Shinwoo saw was Jinyoung's pale face. He was perspiring profusely, his pillow was literally soaked in his sweat. 

* Shinwoo bends down to touch Jinyoung's forehead *

'' You're really sick.. Dongsaeng-ah... i hope you get well soon..oh? Hyung should have sent you home that day... look at you... haiz..'', Shinwoo sighs as he wipes the dripping sweat from Jinyoung's forehead.

'' D-D-........Dal...'', Jinyoung murmurs in his sleep as his mouth tries to mouth of the words.

'' What?'', Shinwoo tries to listen harder to what Jinyoung was trying to say.

'' Dal-rae...ah... don't l-eave me.....'', those words accidentally comes out of Jinyoung's mouth.

For a moment, Shinwoo thought that he had heared wrongly. Maybe his hate for Dal-rae was too overwhelming that he was hearing things. Although, he knew that Dal-rae and Jinyoung were quite close in school, what was the meaning of 'don't leave me?'. 

'' Dal-rae...ah... i love you...so don't leave me..i'm really hurting...'', Jinyoung painfully utters those words in his sleep, apparently he was having a bad dream.

* Shinwoo panics and starts to ransack Jinyoung's room *

Shinwoo started off with Jinyoung's study table, opening each drawer one by one to confirm his suspicion. Nobody could explain the burning rage within himself as he searched to find the truth. True enough, he finds a portrait of Jinyoung and Dal-rae. It was a portrait drawn by a freelance artist dated last year when Jinyoung and Dal-rae were on their first date.

* Shinwoo clenches his fists * * Stomps out of the room *

'' Ahjusshi, i'll be on my way first. I'm sorry, something came up.'', Shinwoo tried to sound as calm as possible.

'' Oh? Already?'', Mr Jung was also a bit taken aback by Shinwoo's actions.

'' Oppa?...'', before Ah-ra could question even further, her brother grabbed her by her hands.

* Drags Ah-ra out of the house * * Ah-ra leaves the project file in the house *

'' Oppa! Let go! It's painful!'', Ah-ra tries to free herself from her brother's tight grasp. Her brother was too furious to even listen to his little sister's words.

Without saying a word, he drives back home. Leaving Ah-ra feeling a bit aliened out by her brother's actions. As if, something bad was going to happen when they reach home. Her brother slams the car door and barges in the house. He heads straight into Dal-rae's room.

* Dal-rae stands up seeing her brother entering her room *

'' SHIN DAL-RAE!'', Shinwoo yells at her as he gave her a tight slap to her face.

Dal-rae who was clueless about the situation laid on the floor with her hands on her cheeks. The slap was strong enough to leave red marks on her cheeks and the stinging sensation that came afterwards made her eyes water.

'' Oppa! What are you doing?!'', Ah-ra screams as she tries to run towards Dal-rae.

* Shinwoo pushes Ah-ra out of the room and locks the door *

* Ah-ra's loud banging on the door and Mrs Shin screaming for Shinwoo to open the door *

'' Shin Dong Woo!! What are you doing! Yah! Open the door!'', Mrs Shin screams for her son but to no avail.

-------------------------------------------------

'' Explain... explain to me before i-'', Shinwoo threatens to slap her again this time if she doesn't tell the truth.

'' Oppa... i-it's not what you think it is...i've alread-'', before Dal-rae could even say anything, she was presented with another slap to her face.

Even the tears that streamed down her face, her eyes that screamed at her brother to at least try to listen to her, that yearned to speak the truth, he didn't even give her the chance to do that. For he had always abhorred her, from young they was never a time he wanted to at least try to understand her.

'' You and him. Don't let Ah-ra or anybody know of this, if not-... Understand? I thought you were that sincere in helping Ah-ra with her engagement party.... if i hadn't found out, you would have taken the opportunity to ruin it wouldn't you?'', Shinwoo lowers his voice as he accuses Dal-rae, he totally misunderstood the situation.

* Dal-rae sobs *

'' Stop with your crocodile tears... i've never liked you from the moment you stepped into this house.'', Shinwoo coldly leaves the room and doesn't forget to slam the door.

* Ah-ra runs into the room to see her sister crying. *

''Onni!'', she rushes to her sister's aid and hugs her.

'' Dal-rae ah! What happened?'', Mrs Shin panics as she looks on at her daughter.

* Dal-rae pushes Ah-ra away from her *

'' Ah-ra!'', Mrs Shin screams as she looks on in horror.

Dal-rae freezes as she herself was shocked by what she had done. Her little sister....

------------------------------------------------

 

( A/N: Okay fast forward to Friday. Sandeul has finally taken the first step to ''confess'' his feelings to Ah-ra. Even Ah-ra herself was a bit unsure by his actions, whether to actually accept his feelings or reject it. But it's the perfect opportunity because she also likes him...  therefore she went back home in a very good mood. In this chapter, we can see that Sandeul is a good liar. He's hiding something, with Ah-ra near him he'll be able to achieve his dreams which is to gain whatever that rightfully belongs to him. Then, theres the part where Shinwoo finally finds out about Dal-rae and Jinyoung. Again, he misunderstands.... )