Getting Addicted to Games

Game Connections

The next day you woke up on your couch. You rubbed your eyes as you tried to remember what time you went to sleep last night. You figured you must have stayed up pretty late if you knocked out in front of your TV. You remembered the last time that happened to you back when you were in high school. Your mother would always yell at you for waking up late for school and you would have to run before the first bell rang. You laughed to yourself as you remembered how much fun it was sneaking into first period if you were ever late. You were lucky because your friends would always cover for you when you needed it and you were only caught once or twice. Those days were fun. You missed those days.

Looking back at your life as a kid, you realized that you had changed a lot. You used to be so fun loving and colourful. Now you had become so serious and quiet. You had become so set on making your dream come true that you forgot that following your dream also meant having fun. You regretted leaving all of that behind and there were times where you wished you could bring that girl back. But you feared it was too late for you. The day you decided to move out and live in Busan was the day you told yourself that you needed to reach your goals no matter what, even if that meant giving up on all of the memories that were holding you back and keeping you in the past.

A tear fell down your cheek as you stared at your old game controller. Playing that game last night made you feel like your old self again. You liked that feeling. You felt playful and competitive, especially when playing against your online opponent. Even if it wasn’t who you thought it was, you still got that same satisfaction you used to get while you were beating him and talking to him. You were glad you agreed to his little offer and couldn’t wait for your next game. You were hesitant at first because you didn’t want to raise your hopes up for a disappointment, but then you told yourself that even if it wasn’t him, at least this would be an opportunity to let someone in, which is something you hadn’t been able to do in a long time.

You let out a loud yawn as you got up from your couch and walked over to your kitchen. You let a cup of coffee brew as you went to your bathroom to wash up. By the time you were done in the bathroom, your coffee was made to perfection. You poured yourself a cup and waited for your toast to pop out of the toaster. Once that was done you placed your food on your dining table and made yourself comfortable. You took a large sip of your drink and let the warm liquid soothe your entire body as you lost yourself in a moment of bliss. That was until you got an annoying alert from your phone. It was a message from the director of a local museum. You groaned as you put your coffee down to check what the message was. Apparently it was for an important project and they needed you there as soon as possible.

It’s not that you were eager for jobs like this, but it was rare whenever big projects came up and that usually meant a lot of money for you in return. So you quickly slipped on your jacket and walked to the nearest bus stop. Within 30 minutes you were in the museum where the directors of the museum were gathered. They welcomed you and motioned you to their upstairs meeting room. You followed and once in the room, they explained to you the entire event. The museum was holding a huge historical exhibition and they wanted you to design the entire advertisement that would be displayed throughout the entire city and many other large cities in Korea, including Seoul. It wasn’t exactly your type of work, but it was a good way to advertise your artistic ability throughout the country and the money they were offering you was more than you would make on any other project. Without a second thought, you agreed and sat there for the next couple of hours as they gave you a history lesson on what the exhibition was about. You knew you needed to pay attention because your work needed to be an exact representation of the event, but you had other things on your mind. Other things such as going home and logging onto your Star Craft account.

You had become so eager to play that you completely blanked out for the rest of the meeting. You found yourself staring at the clock in the room, wondering what time GamerKyu would log on. You felt like you were there for hours before they finally released you. You grabbed the material they had given you to look at and you happily made your way home. You didn’t expect the meeting to take the entire day and you sighed when you got home and saw that it was already dark outside. Too lazy to prepare anything, you made yourself a cup of instant noodles and your laptop. You saw that GamerKyu had already logged on and had sent you a game request. You smiled as you accepted the game and started playing.

                GamerKyu: Well you took your time...I've been wating to play you for over an hour. I have to leave soon

                Smalllove: Hey! I had work…I just got back actually

                GamerKyu: Wait….You go to work? How old are you?

                Smalllove: How old do you think I am?

                GamerKyu: Idk…I thought you were a highschooler

                Smalllove: Nope…it’s been a while since I was in high school

                GamerKyu: So how old are you?

                Smalllove: No questions until someone wins, remember :P

                GamerKyu: Which will be me. I just let you win last time

                Smalllove: Haha…we’ll see about that

And within a 15 minutes you had beaten him again. You jumped up in victory and laughed as you saw the difference in points. You had won by the thousands and you mocked his words.

                Smalllove: HA! Won again :P

                GamerKyu: You must be cheating! How could I lose again?

                Smalllove: I’m just that good

                GamerKyu: Ya! Just ask your questions

                Smalllove: Okay….Where do you live?

                GamerKyu: Seoul

                Smalllove: What do you do for a living?

                GamerKyu: …Can’t say.

                Smalllove: Why not? :(

                GamerKyu: You mean you really can’t tell by my username?

                Smalllove: What do you mean?

                GamerKyu: Aigoo…nevermind.

                Smalllove: Huh???

                GamerKyu: Does that count as another question?

                Smalllove: What?

                GamerKyu: That’s 5 questions! kekeke

                Smalllove: Hey!

`               GamerKyu: Araso. I have time before one last question and then I have to log off.

                Smalllove: Alright…How old are you?

                GamerKyu: 24

                Smalllove: Same as me!

                GamerKyu: Jinja? Wow…maybe I really should meet you.

You began to blush. You didn’t know why but you were becoming eager to meet this person. You had already formed an image in your head of what he could look like, and it looked a lot like the person from your past. And after your conversation tonight, you started to think that maybe it was him. You smiled and quickly responded to his message.

                Smalllove: I guess that means a rematch tomorrow?

                GamerKyu: Ne…I’ll talk to you then

And with that he logged off.