Slowly Drifting Apart

Game Connections

As soon as Kyuhyun was accepted as a trainee, his entire life changed, and so did your friendship. His schedule became busier than ever and it was like he barely had time to breathe. His days consisted of going to rehearsals, school work, and then more practicing. It was almost as if his instructors were controlling his life because even on his off days, when Kyuhyun could finally do stuff for himself, he would randomly get a call and then he would have to leave. Even this made you very upset, you knew it would have to be like this in order for your friend to fulfill his dream. So despite the fact that you barely had time to see him, you still gave your all into supporting him.

It didn’t take long for Kyuhyun to become exhausted from the lack of sleep. It actually amazed you at how soon it took considering the fact that he used to play video games till the sun rose and lived off of an hour of sleep. You figured he was just tired from the added work and stress. But in a couple of weeks that had all paid off when Kyuhyun had received call from SM entertainment, saying that he was going to be the newest and final member added to a project group called Super Junior. Both of you were familiar with the group and were very excited. You were jumping off of the walls for your best friend, especially since Super Junior had been your obsession ever since they debuted with “Twins”. As soon as Kyuhyun told you, you released your inner fangirl that always drove him crazy. You never knew why but Kyuhyun always got a little ticked off whenever you would fangirled/ talked about guys you thought were cute. He would act as if he was annoyed and he would always have this look on his face that made you feel like you insulted him. But now that he was in the group, he would always joke around with you about how he was going to be your new ultimate bias. You always laughed at him, saying that it could never happen since they were best friends, but at the back of your mind you knew that it was definitely possible.

You would be lying if you said that you didn’t find Kyuhyun attractive, in fact, he was one of the cutest guys you had ever known. And growing up together made you realize that you had a slight attraction towards him, but you always pushed those thoughts and feelings aside. You were afraid that you might destroy your friendship and that was the last thing you wanted. So you sat in silence and remained as the “best friend”. You told yourself that just being there for Kyuhyun and making him smile was enough for you, even though it wasn’t.

Month’s had passed and things weren’t getting any easier for either of you. School was becoming a lot harder for you and needed to decide on which art school you were going to attend. You had been accepted into your dream school but you were torn since it required you to move to Busan which was far from Seoul. You were also starting to feel lonely since you hardly got to see the one person you wanted to talk to the most. But as always, you felt foolish for feeling that way since Kyuhyun always had bigger problems. Not only was school becoming a bother, but his other members still had not accepted him into the group and so he was treated like a complete outsider. You could tell that these were some of his darkest moments and you tried to be there as much as possible for him. However, you had noticed that Kyuhyun’s attitude had changed a lot. You told yourself that it was just because of all the stress, but it seemed like he had become a lot more irritated and it usually ended with snide remarks or something that would lead to an argument. You tied to brush it off but you too had your limits and there was only so much you could take before you would snap on him.

One night when you both had some free time, you spent the day together and something had happened that led to one of your biggest arguments with him. It resulted in yelling, cursing, and finally Kyuhyun leaving, making sure to slam the door on his way out. You both took almost a month to cool off and to finally start talking again. But after that it just seemed awkward whenever you tried to hold a conversation with him. It was almost as if you both had different interests and you ran out of things to say to each other.

Nevertheless, you tried your hardest to hold onto the dear friendship. That was until you decided to make a surprise visit to Kyuhyun. It had been months since Kyuhyun had joined Super Junior and they were celebrating their first performance win with the song “U”. Kyuhyun had finally been accepted into the group and it finally seemed like things were turning up for him. You were happy when he told you over the phone and you decided to pay him a visit the next weekend. You had taken a bus to the SJ dorm and walked all the way up to the 11th floor. You carefully knocked onto the door, hoping not to be seen. Ryeowook had opened the door and you saw a beer in his hand, which told you that they were still celebrating. You explained to him that you were one of Kyuhyun’s friends and when you said your name, Ryeowook had immediately recognized you. He had told you that Kyuhyun would always talk about you whenever they would have conversations at night. It gave you a little satisfaction knowing that Kyuhyun mentioned you to s, but that smile quickly faded with you walked further into the dorm.

When you reached to the living room area, you found Kyuhyun sitting on the couch watching a movie with Eunhyuk, Yesung, Sungmin, and an unknown girl who was clinging onto his arm. You froze then and there until Kyuhyun called out your name. You both stepped out into the hallway and there was instantly an awkward silence. Seeing Kyuhyun in the dorm like that and reflecting on his stage performances made you realize that he had moved on and finally reached his dream, and you were starting to think that it was your time. So before you and Kyuhyun could start a meaningless conversation, you simply congratulated him and told him that you had decided to move to Busan to attend your dream school. You could’ve sworn that you had seen a bit of hurt in his eyes but you shrugged it off. Kyuhyun had everything he wanted and you didn’t want to be the friend that was still living in the past. So you hugged for one last time and took a bus home. And within the next month, you were settled into your new school/ things were going great for you, but Kyuhyun was still in the back of your mind. You both tried to keep in touch, but with his schedule and your assignments, the communication slowly died down until it came to a complete stop.