On the Other Side

Game Connections

Kyuhyun had just gotten back to the dorm along with the other members after a long dance rehearsal. They were all exhausted and wanted to sleep, however, the maknae still had enough energy to play some Star Craft. He knew he wouldn’t get anytime to play if he had to wait for the others to take a shower. So as soon as the door was open, he rushed into the bathroom and locked the door. There really wasn’t a reason for him to push past all of the others, but he just got satisfaction when he heard Eunhyuk banging on the door, whining because he wanted to go first. The evil maknae smirked and took a hot shower, soothing his sore muscles. Once he was finished he put on his pajamas and let the others go in.

While the others were freshening up, Kyuhyun sat in the comfort of his bed and logged on to his Star Craft account. He smiled as he saw his win streak, undefeated for the past 5 months. To Kyuhyun, that held about the same value as holding the number 1 spot on the music charts for almost a year. He was proud of it and it only added to his minor ego. Not only did he have a good voice, but he was smart, charming, good looking, and he could destroy anyone in any game.

Kyuhyun had already played for 30 minutes, and the others were already finishing up in the bathroom. That’s when his roommate, Sungmin, entered the room. Sungmin stared at the boy and sighed.

“Ya, Kyuhyun. Are you really playing this late at night? You should go to sleep. We have a schedule tomorrow and manager hyung will scold you if you’re not up in time.”

Kyuhyun just shrugged. “Yah, make me food.” He was so engrossed into his game that he didn’t even look up from his computer screen.

Sungmin ignored his request and sat on his bed. “Such a rude maknae…you should be calling me hyung. And if you’re going to play, then play in the living room. I actually want some sleep tonight.”

Kyuhyun sighed as he paused the game. “Fine, but aren’t you going to make me food?”

Sungmin just threw a pillow at his head. “Go ask Wookie!” And with that, Sungmin turned around and wrapped himself in his blanket.

Kyuhyun just took his laptop to the living room and jumped onto the couch, making himself comfy. He heard someone coming out of the bathroom and got up for a second. It happened to be Ryeowook. Ryeowook was rubbing his eyes and was about to walk towards his room when he noticed Kyuhyun sitting by himself in the living room.

Being the Umma of the group, Ryeowook couldn’t go to seep without checking on Kyuhyun. “Dongsaeng, what’s wrong? Are you and Min not talking? Why are you here by yourself…and why don’t you have a blanket? You might catch a cold.”

One of the reasons Ryeowook was one of Kyuhyun’s favourite members was because he was always so caring, even from the very beginning when everyone hated Kyuhyun, Ryeowook was the first to welcome him into the group. “Hyung, I’m fine. I just want to stay up and play for awhile and I didn’t want to disturb Sungmin hyung.”

Ryeowook smiled. “Well if you’re going to stay up this late, let me get you a blanket and some pillows. It gets cold out here in the middle of the night.”

“Hyung….could you make me some food?”

Ryeowook’s face almost lit up. He loved cooking for s and he was more than happy to make some food for his dongsaeng. A few minutes later, the eternal maknae returned with some pillows, a blanket, and his famous egg sandwiches. He helped the maknae get comfortable before he said goodnight and went to bed.

After everyone was sound asleep, Kyuhyun logged back onto his computer, knowing that we wouldn’t have anymore distractions. After finishing yet another level of the game, he decided to play some online battles. He waited for his laptop to load and within a few seconds, he was matched up with another user. “Smalllove”, Kyuhyun figured that it must have been some girl, and wondered what type of girl would be playing this type of game at such a late time. He shrugged it off and decided that a win was a win, and clicked on the play button. He thought that it would be an easy win, with his experience, but in reality, the player was better than he expected. In fact, he was actually finding this opponent very challenging to beat, and the scores were extremely close. Kyuhyun realized that he had underestimated this player and tried his hardest to protect his record. In the end, Kyuhyun actually ended up losing. He was shocked and became a little ticked off when he saw he win streak go back down to zero. He was almost mad enough to throw his laptop across the room but he kept his cool. Instead, he clicked on the rematch button and waited for the other player to respond.

Within a few minutes, Smalllove had accepted the request and the two were at it again. And just like before, Smalllove had defeated Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun refused to believe that some random little girl was beating him at his own game and decided to message Smalllove through the game.

               GamerKyu: Annyong! How long have you been playing? You’re really good at this game.

Kyuhyun sat there staring at his computer waiting for a response. He thought that maybe Smalllove had logged off but about 10 minutes later Kyuhyun had received a reply.

                Smalllove: Actually, it’s been awhile since I’ve even played this game. I thought I would have trouble beating someone, but you were actually really easy to defeat.

Kyuhyun felt his pride being hurt and decided that he would continue to battle this player until he won. But first, he wanted to know what type of person could have an ego almost as big as his, especially when it came to gaming.

                GamerKyu: Well someone’s a little cocky….Are you even a boy or a girl?

                Smalllove: Well what do you think? What boy would have a username like mine?

                GamerKyu: Are you sure you’re not a guy posing as a girl?

                Smalllove: Is it so hard to believe that you were defeated by a girl?

                GamerKyu: Okay, fine. I was beaten by a girl. But I will beat you sooner or later.

                Smalllove: Omo…Someone’s competitive. And what happens if I continue to beat you?

                GamerKyu: If you continue to beat me then I will give you the privilege of meeting me in person

                Smalllove: And what makes you think that I would want to meet you?

                GamerKyu: Because, I’m a very special person.

It took a while for Smalllove to reply, and Kyuhyun wondered if he should really be getting so worked up over a silly game. But he was curious to know more about this girl because there was only one person who had ever been able to beat him at Star Craft, and just by the way she was responding, Kyuhyun was almost reminded of that person.

                Smalllove: Fine, but after every game, the winner gets to ask the loser 5 questions.

                GamerKyu: Why?

                Smalllove: Because, if I’m going to get to meet you, I want to know what’s so special about you first.

                GamerKyu: Fine. May the best player win.

And after that, Smalllove had logged off. Kyuhyun did the same. He wasn’t sure what he was getting himself into, but he had his pride at stake and he was determined to win, and to find out more about this Smalllove.