She's Gone

Game Connections

Kyuhyun looked at you and felt his heart break. He knew he was the reason for your tears and he wanted to do anything to make you feel better. He took a deep breath and made his way to you. He stopped right behind you and put his hands in his pockets, still thinking of how to address you.

“Smalllove?”

You’re eyes widened and you felt more tears forming. You held them back and turned to the man behind you, shocked that he actually found where you were. Kyuhyun smiled at you politely and waited for you to respond.

“What are you doing here?”

“My band had a performance.”

“Not funny. You know what I mean. Why are you here in front of me?”

“My best friend is crying. I came to check on her.”

You scoffed. “What best friend. The last time I checked, I was nothing but a distraction.” You started to cry again as you put your head down, letting your tears fall straight to the ground.

“That wasn’t me who said those things…it was my manager.”

You still looked refused to look at him.

Kyuhyun sighed and continued to talk. “My manager took my laptop a couple of days ago and I guess he posed as me online. That person you were talking to last was not me. It was him. He said all of those terrible things to you to try and make you quite communicating with me. A few days later I got to log back on to my account and I read all of the messages. When I realized it was you I wanted to apologize immediately but you had already deleted your account.”

You finally spoke, still keeping your head down. “Why would your manager want us to stop playing? You always used to play before.”

“I got too attached  with playing with you and he started to get annoyed with that.”

“So I was a distraction…”

Kyuhyun gently lifted your head by placing his hand at your chin so that you could face him. He looked you straight in the eyes. “I don’t ever want to hear you say those things again. You are not a distraction and you never will be.”

You slapped his hand away. “Kyuhyun, if your manager had to tell me to back off that means that you obviously got into some kind of trouble and I was getting in the way.”

If I say that you were not a distraction to me then you’re not. I don’t care what he says!”

“Do you even listen to yourself? You’re not making any sense! He’s your manager. He’s basically like your boss. If he got pissed with you because of me then that means that I was a problem.”

“Why are you putting all of the blame on you? I wanted to play with you because I wanted to. Even when I had no idea it was you…there was something that felt right.”

You turned so that your back was facing him. You didn’t want to hear any more because you were just getting more and more confused. “You make me sound like some special person.”

“You are….you don’t believe me?”

You felt like he was just lying to make you feel better. This time you faced him and you raised your voice a little. “No, I don’t! Really Kyu? Me? Of all people! Why would I be so special to someone like you? You’ve probably met some fantastic people over the years! Why would I still mean something to you? And don’t give me any crap to comfort me. I want to know what makes me so damn special? You’re an idol now….a global star. Why would someone like you still want me in their life.”

“Does that change anything? Why is it that as soon as I become a celebrity, I’m suddenly too good for anyone? You mean something to me. Isn’t that enough? You’re a friend that I don’t want to lose.” His eyes started to water too.

You heart burned at his words. You wanted to believe him and run into his arms and cry as you hug him. But because of your past, your mind wouldn’t let you. You had spent all of your life pushing people away and afraid to let your feelings show that it became a habit. You tried to find a reason to not let yourself believe him. And suddenly it came to you.

“How can you even call me a friend? If you wanted to keep me in your life then why didn’t you keep in touch? As soon as you moved into that dorm you stopped talking to me. You made me feel like a bother…and I still stood by you! When you were about to give everything up, I was the one who persuaded your parents to give you that bit of support! I stayed up days and nights helping you with school and even your audition. And as soon as you made it, it was like I didn’t exist anymore. All we did after that was fight and it broke my heart. Even then I still told myself that you still needed someone behind you….that day I told you that I was moving to Busan…I saw you in the dorm with your members and some random girl. It made me realize that you had moved on and I needed to do the same. So I made that decision and you were the first person I told….you didn’t even bother to ask me how long I would be there or anything, you didn’t show a care in the world!” You saw a tear fall down from his eye but you didn’t care at the moment. You felt like this was your opportunity to let everything out. “And it was me who tried to keep this so called friendship alive. Then one day I tried calling you and the operator says that your number was no longer working…you didn’t even bother to text me your new number…you stopped using all of your old e-mails. There was no way I could communicate with you. And then 6 years later we find each other by chance through a game…and-”

You were cut off by Kyuhyun pulling you into a tight hug. You could feel his grip grow tighter every second as he cried into your shoulder. You started to cry too and you both just stood there. Kyuhyun had realized that this was about more than those silly messages from the manager and that caused him to cry even more.

He stopped crying for a second to try and gather some words. “Mianhae….I…I really don’t know what to say.”

You started to cry into his chest as you hugged him back. “Why didn’t you try to keep in touch with me?”

Suddenly even though he was still crying, Kyuhyun started to sing.

“When did you start becoming weary of me, What burdens did I give you
To you, no longer say anything, I’ve become unable to ask now
Without the usual grumbling
Still smiling that polite smile
Losing the sadness that passed by your eyes
I’m sorry, it was absentminded stupidity on my part, my love
When I see you with your back turned to me
The time love clearly took
Now I can see it too
Like a time of separation
I saw it coming
I didn’t know you were such a part of me
If I could turn it all back

No, if you would smile for me just once more”

“Stop!” You pushed Kyuhyun away as you were unable to stop your crying. He looked at you shocked with teary eyes.

“I just thought…I mean…you always used to calm down whenever I would sing.”

“You still don’t get it do you? After all these years you still don’t know me or even understand my feelings.”

“What are you talking about.”

You took a deep breath. “You can’t just come back into my life and sing to me. Don’t you understand that every little thing you do makes me fall in love with you even more…even when you used to make fun of me and tease me…all of that made me love you. I was scared to be close with you and let you know my feelings because I didn’t want to push you away. When I saw you with that girl that day in the dorm, I realized that I had no chance with you. It hurt me so much that I pushed everything away and forced myself to move on. All of our memories became painful for me so I changed. But I still couldn’t get you out of my head. I pushed everyone away and I never allowed myself to like anyone else because I knew that I still loved you. When I thought you hated me, it broke my heart so much and I thought you would also become a painful memory. Even though it hurt, it was forcing me to move on. And now you’re coming here and singing to me like that with your beautiful voice and it melts my heart. You’re telling me everything that makes me want to hold you and never let go. You’re just being you and that’s making fall deeper in love with you. And I can’t let that happen.”

Kyuhyun just stood there trying to take everything in. “Why not.”

You clenched your hands into a fist. “Because…I know you can never feel the same way about me….Let’s face it, I’m still just that friend.” Kyuhyun was about to say something but you cut him off. “Tell me I’m wrong? If I am then I’ll stay. If not then I’ll walk out of your life for good…because the truth is, I can’t stand to have you in my life knowing that I can never mean more to you than just a friend.”

You knew you were asking him a big question but  you needed an answer. You both stood there for what felt like forever and Kyuhyun still never responded. Your eyes were beginning to hurt from how much you were crying but the tears still did not stop. When you grew tired of waiting you said one last goodbye and walked right passed him. Kyuhyun still stood there with water still running down his face as he could hear your heels running down the hall as the sound slowly faded. It took him a while but he started to run after you. But by the time he reached the lobby, he saw you getting into a cab. He knew he was too late. Out of now where, the director of the museum grabbed Kyuhyun by the arm. He looked a little disappointed in Kyuhyun.

“Young man…did you cause that young lady to cry?”

Kyuhyun just looked down. “Yes sir.”

The man put his hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and sighed. “Then I suggest that you do everything in your power to make it up to her. She’s a very sweet girl and I hate to see her like that.”

Kyuhyun then realized that since he was the director of the exhibition, he must have had some way to contact you since you worked for him. Kyuhyun looked at the man with hopeful eyes. “Sir please…do you know where I can find her?”